Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

euphronius posted:

Wilson seems like a cool dude.

lol no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Doesn't really matter if he hit him or not.
I'm fairly certain international law says monster jams cannot be called charges.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Bulls started like 9-8 when they won 62 games under thibs. Nothing is solid until january.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Marcus didn't want to get a face full of that dick (which he absolutely would have), so it's only natural he recoiled a bit.

A+ flop

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

ozymandius1024 posted:

Marcus didn't want to get a face full of that dick (which he absolutely would have), so it's only natural he recoiled a bit.

A+ flop

Props Department
Jul 10, 2007

creamed corn & confucius

IcePhoenix posted:

Did anyone really predict the Wolves to win 50 games? I was probably the most bullish on them here and even I said 45-ish, 48 as a ceiling if a whole lotta stuff goes right.

Maybe not on here but Tim Bontemps was saying it on any podcast that would have him. I guess it's not a bad claim to stake, you look like a genius if everything clicks.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Hey at least the Wolves are 2nd in offense!!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Tae posted:

Hey at least the Wolves are 2nd in offense!!

Bizarro Thibs

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
You can't hold up the whole team because you and your mom and your posse want to spend an extra night in Cleveland.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Phil Jackson and Lebron not on the best of terms ATM.

https://twitter.com/JordanHeckFF/status/798567609633533953

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I mean, Lebron's not wrong.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Watching Phil Jackson's career arc from being heralded as a basketball sage to dismissed and disgraced old white man ranting and raving about orthodoxy has been one of the delights of my life as a fan of the NBA.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I was gonna say, I don't dislike Wilson as much as others but he definitely does not fall under "cool" category.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Paul Zuvella posted:

I would venture to say Lebron is more than not wrong here.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Mike Malone posted:

"Our turnovers are an epidemic and can’t have our starting point guard averaging five turnovers per game, it’s killing us right now," Malone said. "I think he has to make plays for others. He got 16 shots up and zero assists [in Sunday's loss]."

Sounds like Mudiay's rapidly losing his coach. Eventually he's gonna have to be jettisoned from the league entirely

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
so this, the year when people finally stopped asking "IS THIS THE CLIPPERS' YEAR?", this is the Clippers' year, right?

https://streamable.com/fmfv

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

EvanTH posted:

so this, the year when people finally stopped asking "IS THIS THE CLIPPERS' YEAR?", this is the Clippers' year, right?

https://streamable.com/fmfv

Let's not forget one of the fundamental laws of the NBA: NO GOOD CLIPPERS

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Paul Zuvella posted:

I don't understand from the link. LeBron's business partner is mad because Phil told a story where he has Pat Riley calling LeBron's entourage a "posse"?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/ScottDKushner/status/798586456088412160

Y'all, I'm so happy right now. He's my favorite player on the team.

e: well, him or Asik

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

EvanTH posted:

I don't understand from the link. LeBron's business partner is mad because Phil told a story where he has Pat Riley calling LeBron's entourage a "posse"?

Using "posse" to describe a group of young black men can cause the word to take on a racially charged negative connotation. Especially among young black men.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

The Sonics are never coming back.

Lockback posted:

Bizarro Thibs

He's got a lot of young dudes, it'd be a bigger surprise if the defense wasn't terrible

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

EvanTH posted:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18043923/truehoop-presents-new-york-knicks-president-phil-jackson-qa-nba

JM: It all started when LeBron left, right? Could you have ever imagined Earvin Johnson leaving Riley, or Michael Jordan leaving you?

PJ: It had to hurt when they lost LeBron. That was definitely a slap in the face. But there were a lot of little things that came out of that. When LeBron was playing with the Heat, they went to Cleveland and he wanted to spend the night. They don't do overnights. Teams just don't. So now (coach Erik) Spoelstra has to text Riley and say, 'What do I do in this situation?' And Pat, who has iron-fist rules, answers, 'You are on the plane, you are with this team.' You can't hold up the whole team because you and your mom and your posse want to spend an extra night in Cleveland.

I always thought Pat had this really nice vibe with his guys. But something happened there where it broke down. I do know LeBron likes special treatment. He needs things his way.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
Phil should turn in his rings from the bulls teams.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Declan MacManus posted:

He's got a lot of young dudes, it'd be a bigger surprise if the defense wasn't terrible

I know, the surprise is the 2nd ranked ORTG and some big breakout years for Wiggins and LaVine. Thibs has said himself he's surprised by how fast the offense has come together.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
You never saw Andre the Giant blasting Shepherd Fairey on twitter. :colbert:

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Up Circle posted:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18043923/truehoop-presents-new-york-knicks-president-phil-jackson-qa-nba

JM: It all started when LeBron left, right? Could you have ever imagined Earvin Johnson leaving Riley, or Michael Jordan leaving you?

PJ: It had to hurt when they lost LeBron. That was definitely a slap in the face. But there were a lot of little things that came out of that. When LeBron was playing with the Heat, they went to Cleveland and he wanted to spend the night. They don't do overnights. Teams just don't. So now (coach Erik) Spoelstra has to text Riley and say, 'What do I do in this situation?' And Pat, who has iron-fist rules, answers, 'You are on the plane, you are with this team.' You can't hold up the whole team because you and your mom and your posse want to spend an extra night in Cleveland.

I always thought Pat had this really nice vibe with his guys. But something happened there where it broke down. I do know LeBron likes special treatment. He needs things his way.

Kibner posted:

Using "posse" to describe a group of young black men can cause the word to take on a racially charged negative connotation. Especially among young black men.
Yeah those are the things I read. Seems like a big stretch to take offense on that.

I mean, the black men who say "posse" are old too by now, probably the same age as Phil if they remember the era of cowboy movies where the Good Guys use the term. It's about the most neutral word for an entourage you're gonna find. Especially amongst the old white fellas who grew up playing cowboys and indians edit "White Settlers V. Native Tribes" in their backyards.

"Posse" "boys" "crew" "entourage" "hangers on" "leeches" what positive verbiage does Carter expect for the group of dudes who earn their living by being childhood friends with the famous guy? Haha

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

16 shots and 0 assists is not good for a pg

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Up Circle posted:

That's not a good way to handle lebron at all. Jesus Christ Riley is insane.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

EvanTH posted:

Yeah those are the things I read. Seems like a big stretch to take offense on that.

I mean, the black men who say "posse" are old too by now, probably the same age as Phil if they remember the era of cowboy movies where the Good Guys use the term. It's about the most neutral word for an entourage you're gonna find. Especially amongst the old white fellas who grew up playing cowboys and indians edit "White Settlers V. Native Tribes" in their backyards.

"Posse" "boys" "crew" "entourage" "hangers on" "leeches" what positive verbiage does Carter expect for the group of dudes who earn their living by being childhood friends with the famous guy? Haha

Friends and family works pretty well

e: Unless you're trying to be derogatory, which is kind of the point

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I thought posse was a Western term.

Still not sure why Phil is talking poo poo about a well-respected player. Especially one who has sway over other players in the league. He is a really lovely GM.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

IN my experience "posse" is the term fat white guys on sports radio use to complain about what they perceive to be negative aspects of black athletes' life style

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
whats so bad about just saying Lebron and the gang

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

EvanTH posted:

Just call them his friends then or his business partners.

Seems like Lebron's trying to defend his friends here and their accomplishments outside of his influence which I applaud him for. Sure Lebron being the greatest basketball player of all time gave them a huge leg up but sounds like his old friends have built legitimate successful businesses that leverage off of Lebron. I think he's trying to point out that Phil Jackson would probably use different language to refer to a rich white CEO who hires a bunch of b-school friends to run businesses for him.

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

EvanTH posted:

I think that's the issue, Maverick Carter isn't earning his living by being childhood friends with Lebron, he's earning his living by managing one of the biggest sports stars in the world, and he's been doing it for over a decade. It seems delegitimizing to refer to Carter as a member of a crew or posse when he's actually an accomplished professional who has done his job well for years. And yeah, Carter only has the job because he's childhood friends with Lebron, but it's not like the rest of the sports management world is a meritocracy.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Up Circle posted:

Keep in mind. This night they were talking about was loving Thanksgiving that Lebron and the team wanted to stay in Cleveland/Akron and have the team over for it.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 15, 2016

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Phil Jackson shouldn't be bothered by how Lebron is spending his off time. If you don't think the stigma that young, rich black men carry around with them isn't influencing the fact that he is even talking about this at all I am not sure what to say.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Just call them the Banana Boys and it'd be fine, Phil

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
New thread title is my poo poo

chunkles fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 15, 2016

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Dexo posted:

Keep in mind. This night they were talking about was loving Thanksgiving that Lebron and the team wanted to stay in Cleveland/Akron and have the team over for it.

Lmao I had no idea it was loving Thanksgiving. That just makes it even funnier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Dexo posted:

Jesus Christ lol. Eat poo poo, Riley.

• Locked thread