Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Who's the original source of the "this is crack and this is cocaine!" post? I know someone who wants to interview them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The second Sanders put his name in the race every single rich, wallstreet boot licking senator and beltway insider suddenly felt their butthole pucker up and immediately felt the need to publicly state their support for the only candidate that could beat Donald Trump, which happened to be Hillary.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Bill.sr94 posted:

Wait, both sides do hypocritical poo poo? Ya don't say!

I only mentioned one side. Republicans are hypocritical monsters with horrible ideas or are stupid idiot people. Democrats didn't do this, so no, not both sides.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

The second Sanders put his name in the race every single rich, wallstreet boot licking senator and beltway insider suddenly felt their butthole pucker up and immediately felt the need to publicly state their support for the only candidate that could beat Donald Trump, which happened to be Hillary.

That's not how it went down. Come on, dude.:nallears:

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Willingly undermining a popular candidate to preserve an untenable status quo because you're comfortable is the epitome of white privilege

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Business Gorillas posted:

Willingly undermining a popular candidate to preserve an untenable status quo because you're comfortable is the epitome of white privilege

But enough about those that undermined Clinton from the left :v:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Yup. Why bother acquiescing to a rapidly dying group with incredibly unpopular opinions on everything if they're going to vote for you anyways?

If they're smart they'll just pivot towards being a libertarian party but I guess that all depends on how much of the culture war Pence wants to relitigate

I'll put it this way, as a catholic, I would be elated to hear that the religious right is dead and gone so we stop getting shamed for their utter cruelty and unchristian nature.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I'm moderately curious about the possibility of attempting to use positive Christianity to attempt to reach out to working class white people. I feel like it wouldn't work out though.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Trabisnikof posted:

So you think the DNC should make the primary less Democratic next time, so that it better reflects the power balance of the EC, is that correct?

Perhaps we should rig the primary to ensure that an unelectable candidate cannot win?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

*runs a candidate that campaigned on being secretive and calling frog memes hate crimes*
BERNOUTSSS :argh:

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Maarek posted:

Hey quick thought here's a leftist vision: a movement for the entire working class that also includes treating minorities and women like first class citizens.
first class citizens are allowed to vote, which makes it doubtful that you believe a single word of this

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Trabisnikof posted:

If anyone able to use their brain can see it, then can you?

What's the unifying ideology of the left right now? Describe that shared pluralistic vision that unites our all critical causes?

Also, I've been saying this poo poo for years. The failure of progress lies in the failure of a new leftist ideology after the downfall of liberalism in the US and communism in the USSR along with the relative purges they each did on new and divergent ideologies. Obviously with more nuance the more words I type.

That's why we don't have the intellectual infrastructure on the left to actually develop a cohesive ideology. We've been shook since the HUAC and never came back.

Let's try to get the ball rolling. Honestly, I'm not being sarcastic here. Let's brainstorm, no idea is too dumb, let's keep improving and refining as we go.

So Trump was "America First" right? That resonated. One idea: we say "People First." People First, not corrupt corporations. People First, not those who are for wage inequality, denial of abortion, trans and gay rights, etc. People First, not establishment politicians. They serve us: the people.

Sounds a bit trite but after this win, trite might just work.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Covok posted:

I'll put it this way, as a catholic, I would be elated to hear that the religious right is dead and gone so we stop getting shamed for their utter cruelty and unchristian nature.

As kind of a quasi-Episcopalian, :agreed:

*runs a candidate that campaigned on being secretive and calling frog memes hate crimes*
BERNOUTSSS :argh:

She didn't run on either of those things. Knock off the dumb hyperbole.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Hahaha I didn't know K&P was this good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2tLyqfJd54

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

BarbarianElephant posted:

Democrats ran a black guy and a woman back-to-back but yet somehow they are the Real Racists/misogynists.

Or it could possibly be a projection because Hillary's entire campaign boiled down to "they're racist and sexist, so vote for me" and hey, guess what? That poo poo didn't work then, and it won't work now. Economic problems affect everyone, no matter what color your skin is or who you believe in, and this election was about economic problems. Remember that guy from PA posting a bunch of pages ago about how he doesn't give a poo poo about race or gay marriage because this is America, and that they should be free to do what they want? And that what he gives a poo poo about is whether there are jobs for everyone? Those are the people who were neglected, and those are the people who can put the dems back into the game. They also won't give a gently caress about social justice stuff, which gives you free reign to do whatever the gently caress you want in that arena because they don't care like republicans do.

Basically, shut the gently caress up about racism and sexism, not because you're wrong, but because it doesn't accomplish anything and is actively detrimental to you winning those things in the long run. Losing this election was supposed to be teaching you that, but I guess it hasn't.

I'm agnostic, but please, God, save us from neoliberalism. gently caress.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Trabisnikof posted:

Ever tell a left-leaning friend that they fell for 30 years of right-wing propaganda and conspiracy hate-machine when they say they didn't trust Hillary? The looks on their faces...

Oh, I got corncobbed so hard this election.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Basically, shut the gently caress up about racism and sexism, not because you're wrong, but because it doesn't accomplish anything and is actively detrimental to you winning those things in the long run. Losing this election was supposed to be teaching you that, but I guess it hasn't.

The Dems actually need to focus on both, in no small part because the U.S. is going to be majority non-white in not too many years, and non-white people often have different challenges than the white working class. The Dems need to focus way more on economic justice than they have in decades, I agree, but overcorrecting to the exclusion of social justice issues is just as big of a mistake as ignoring economic justice altogether.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Covok posted:

Serious question, 6 days out of the election, anyone know for reals how Trump supporters seem to be reacting to his campaign's post-victory actions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STw_oRIVpb4

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Majorian posted:

The Dems actually need to focus on both, in no small part because the U.S. is going to be majority non-white in not too many years, and non-white people often have different challenges than the white working class. The Dems need to focus way more on economic justice than they have in decades, I agree, but overcorrecting to the exclusion of social justice issues is just as big of a mistake as ignoring economic justice altogether.

You're right but I think what they meant was Hillary people screaming racist/msiogynist at anyone who wasn't 100% onboard with the Hillary platform and it's that poo poo that turns middle America off.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

I'm moderately curious about the possibility of attempting to use positive Christianity to attempt to reach out to working class white people. I feel like it wouldn't work out though.

again, id point to William Barber as an example of progressive christianity

of course we hit the obvious problem that he is, uh, black and therefore probably has minimal WWC outreach potential. but its nice to play pretend sometimes.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

quote:

The Democratic Party cannot continue to be run by the liberal elite. The party has got to transform itself to be a party which, first of all, opens the door, that is the party that feels the pain of working-class people, of the middle class, of low-income people, of young people. A party that brings people into the party,”

The vast majority of the American people are on our side. (President-elect Donald) Trump’s views are a minority. People do not think we should give tax breaks to billionaires. They do believe we should raise the minimum wage and have pay equity for women. They do believe we should make public colleges’ and universities’ tuition free. What you do now is get heavily involved in the political process. When millions of people stand up and fight back we will not be denied.

Don't lose hope. Bernies message can be an amazing platform for all us going forward. Build on it. We can beat the bad guys in this story.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Mecha Gojira posted:

Ever tell a left-leaning friend that they fell for 30 years of right-wing propaganda and conspiracy hate-machine when they say they didn't trust Hillary? The looks on their faces...

Oh, I got corncobbed so hard this election.

That look on their face is them realizing that you're so deep in your own narrative you can't realize that people might have legitimate concerns with a candidate

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

VH4Ever posted:

You're right but I think what they meant was Hillary people screaming racist/msiogynist at anyone who wasn't 100% onboard with the Hillary platform and it's that poo poo that turns middle America off.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.
I've been away from D&D for a while was that an ironic joke post or are there really people who believe that and also what the hell is corncobbing?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

paranoid randroid posted:

again, id point to William Barber as an example of progressive christianity

of course we hit the obvious problem that he is, uh, black and therefore probably has minimal WWC outreach potential. but its nice to play pretend sometimes.

I dunno. I feel like it was a strategic mistake to cede public Christian discourse to the fundamentalist right, and assuming that secularization would save us from them eventually. Maybe my politics are too heavily informed by my Catholic background, but I feel like trying out a message of hope and compassion for the poor on religious grounds they can relate to rather than economic intellectualism they don't care for would work. You can justify good policy that stems from that on secular grounds too.

Note that I am not advocating for religion in actual government. But most people in the country are still religious and most religions preach compassion and generosity to the poor. It's the correct message from a different place.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

VH4Ever posted:

again, people are confusing 100% online political interactions on forums and social media with how politics shakes out in the real world and it's baffling that being called a racist on tumblr can so preoccupy someone's mind that they're still mad about it

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

VH4Ever posted:

I agree, in principle, but I have to question how widespread of an effect this had, ie: outside of the Something Awful forums or whatever.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
"ugh i couldn't walk down the street or get a coffee or go to class without all these shrieking misogynist memes and clintoid trolls in my face!!! get a clue!!!"

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

boner confessor posted:

again, people are confusing 100% online political interactions on forums and social media with how politics shakes out in the real world and it's baffling that being called a racist on tumblr can so preoccupy someone's mind that they're still mad about it

The counterpoint to this is the deplorables speech and most of her ad campaign being "Trump bad."

Most supporters of a particular candidate take attacks on that candidate as attacks on them via the transitive property.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Maarek posted:

I've been away from D&D for a while was that an ironic joke post or are there really people who believe that and also what the hell is corncobbing?

https://twitter.com/dril/status/134787490526658561

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
So can someone explain to my dumb naive rear end why the winning strategy to unfuck everything for the DNC is any more complicated than:

We pot commit to renewable energy sources and start an initiative to build wind, solar, bio, nuclear infrastructure in America's heartland. We give preferential treatment in job positions based on geographic locality to the infrastructure. We discard identity politics as a campaign strategy and trust our representatives to simply vote out hate whenever it shows up. Now, since the same side is pushing for economic and social justice, if you want to inject injustice on either side you can't say that you're actually just trying to get justice for the other front.

I just find it really confusing that we have a climate crisis and a job crisis and these are two puzzle pieces waiting to interlock but no one is doing it.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Maarek posted:

you've missed so much :allears:

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

boner confessor posted:

It might have been a thing that happened to guys on this forum but the average voter isn't picking fights with radical feminists on tumblr. Most Trump voters were in a Trump bubble where everyone loved Trump, so they wouldn't have got screamed at by liberals, except maybe by their granddaughter at the family reunion (and I wish her well in moving to California when she hits 18.)

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

I don't think this had much of an affect on the general election and I don't think it's going to be a very effective strategy for the people still trying to do it in this thread after November 8th.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

boner confessor posted:

Yeah, as far as actual campaigning goes, Clinton's campaign only dared to go as far as the "deplorables" comment, which was quickly apologized for.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

in the end it was me who was owned

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Lightning Knight posted:

Eh, I wouldn't be so sure of it. Evangelical leaders of all racial backgrounds played pivotal roles in the Civil Rights era, and a big part of that meta-movement was economic justice; that part just tends to get glossed over in today's historical retellings. There's a lot of room for the Christian Left to take a seat at the table and start raking the ultra-mega-rich over the coals for exploiting God's people.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

So can someone explain to my dumb naive rear end why the winning strategy to unfuck everything for the DNC is any more complicated than:

We pot commit to renewable energy sources and start an initiative to build wind, solar, bio, nuclear infrastructure in America's heartland. We give preferential treatment in job positions based on geographic locality to the infrastructure. We discard identity politics as a campaign strategy and trust our representatives to simply vote out hate whenever it shows up. Now, since the same side is pushing for economic and social justice, if you want to inject injustice on either side you can't say that you're actually just trying to get justice for the other front.

I just find it really confusing that we have a climate crisis and a job crisis and these are two puzzle pieces waiting to interlock but no one is doing it.

We literally cannot do this. If you stop being vocal about countering racism, sexism, homophobia et al when they appear, you are complicit in these things. Also later on you say that you can't just push one and expect people to believe that you intend both so what are you actually arguing here?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Lightning Knight posted:

The counterpoint to this is the deplorables speech and most of her ad campaign being "Trump bad."

Most supporters of a particular candidate take attacks on that candidate as attacks on them via the transitive property.

if a progressive democrat gets mad by proxy about deplorables or trump's awfulness then, uh, i have bad news for that person

what people are talking about though now itt is how the internal dem primary turned out and how they're still mad about the vitriol from the opposing team, which i'm pointing out is ironically entirely based on online interaction instead of face to face communication

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Don't lose hope. Bernies message can be an amazing platform for all us going forward. Build on it. We can beat the bad guys in this story.

The bad guys already won though. And smug Bernie Bros telling minorities like me we should have backed some old white guy from Vermont where it's all white people is dumb. He's never had to deal with diversity or multicultural needs in his home state so he barely has any understanding on why the "economy will raise all boats" message doesn't play with me. I think he would eagerly trade away any progress for people like me for economic policy gains.

• Locked thread