Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
I'm sorry thread!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Space Gopher posted:

That said, $1000+ a month does seem high, unless you're talking about a million dollar property someplace that funds a lot of its government through property taxes.

Or an average home in New Jersey (their property taxes are shockingly high).

Property taxes can be weird and are very state by state. In my county in PA nothing has been reassessed since 1972 (or was that 74?) so any existing homes that are say.....1500 square feet will have a property tax bill of a few thousand a year while a brand new 1500 square foot house on the same amount of land will be triple that amount.

I'm quite happy to live in an older home for this and many other reasons.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Derail bird is hopping mad this morning. :parrot:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Motronic posted:

Or an average home in New Jersey (their property taxes are shockingly high).

Property taxes can be weird and are very state by state. In my county in PA nothing has been reassessed since 1972 (or was that 74?) so any existing homes that are say.....1500 square feet will have a property tax bill of a few thousand a year while a brand new 1500 square foot house on the same amount of land will be triple that amount.

I'm quite happy to live in an older home for this and many other reasons.

Property taxes can definitely be bad with money. I think that long term good with money involves living in a cheap house in a very high property tax / no income tax state and then retiring in an expensive house in a high income tax state.

Prop taxes are about $1k/mo on an average house in Austin, TX for example. $1k/mo certainly doesn't feel extreme.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

The Kestrel posted:

Are property taxes very high in the states? We're paying just over 4k for the year on a four bedroom house just north of Toronto. $1000-1500 per month seems huge. Our condo had a rate of about 2500 per year for a $330k condo.

Depends on the state, but it unusually works out to about 2% per year. A 330k condo would be 6600 / year-ish.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
My parent's HOA only allows residents to use literally the most expensive shingles available when they replaced the roof on their house. The cost difference was $10,000 in materials between that and the still-nice-and-almost-identical middle of the road shingle option.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

C.H.O.M.E posted:

Depends on the state, but it unusually works out to about 2% per year. A 330k condo would be 6600 / year-ish.

:laffo: and people keep trying to tell me that renting is throwing money away

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Not a Children posted:

Also property taxes are usually a percentage of the assessed value of the property, and the assessing mechanism frequently has little or no checks or balances. If you get a ridiculously high assessment the best you can do is write an upset letter.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Not a Children posted:

You do realize that property taxes are baked into your rent price right?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Barry posted:

Of course, but the people who are all "renting is throwing money away!!!" are typically comparing mortgage payment to rent payment.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Not a Children posted:

Lol "look at all these dumb suckers paying PROPERTY TAX" *writes rent check*

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Not a Children posted:

You are already paying this as part of your rent, and your landlord has no homestead exemption on that rental property so the tax rate is higher.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I get to claim my property tax as a deduction on my income tax unlike you renters.

Holy poo poo some of your tax assessments. A 300k home outside Atlanta is like $2500 a year. And yes, that buys us schools (31st in the nation).

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Hm, people charge rent to make a profit? Who knew?

I wasn't pointing out that it's different. I'm pointing out that it's not different. Except that if my landlord decides he wants to raise the rent and I'm not cool with it, moving away is an easy option.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I think some of you are vastly over-estimating the financial literacy of most amateur landlords. People are terrible at figuring out opportunity costs as evidenced by the past couple houses I lived in - they were cheaper to rent than buy after factoring in that, taxes, and maintenance. Throw in transaction costs, the higher tax rate of rental income vs capital gains, and a lot of people aren't doing as well as they might think.

YMMV but banking on the financial acumen of others seems pretty out of place in this of all threads :v:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Barry posted:

I get the feeling the big conglomerate that owns my apartment complex has access to better tax-dodging skills than I do :shrug:

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

All these suckers not shoehorning four people into a cheap two bedroom. How do you manage?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Moneyball posted:

All these suckers not shoehorning four people into a cheap two bedroom. How do you manage?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Property taxes are only loosely associated with your rent. Your rent is set based on the interaction of supply and demand in the rental market and a change in property taxes will only affect this isofar as it restricts future supply from entering the market and driving down rents, or alternatively is used to provide attractive services increasing demand in the local market.

This is different from a commercial lease where the tennat will explicitly be on the hook for changes in property tax costs.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
Do you guys actually hate derails or do you just like posting the bird?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
a little of this, a little of that

like no one gives a poo poo about your super low budget goony rear end wedding so please stop, but this derail in particular isn't The Worst

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

potatoducks posted:

Do you guys actually hate derails or do you just like posting the bird?

they're good birds, bront

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

KingSlime posted:

a little of this, a little of that

like no one gives a poo poo about your super low budget goony rear end wedding so please stop, but this derail in particular isn't The Worst
At least this is a new derail.

crazypeltast52 posted:

Property taxes are only loosely associated with your rent. Your rent is set based on the interaction of supply and demand in the rental market and a change in property taxes will only affect this isofar as it restricts future supply from entering the market and driving down rents, or alternatively is used to provide attractive services increasing demand in the local market.

This is different from a commercial lease where the tennat will explicitly be on the hook for changes in property tax costs.
Also people usually rent smaller spaces than they buy, but nobody ever seems to factor that into the taxes/utilities/whatever portion of rent vs buy.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
The HOA in my hood expired a long time ago.

It's nice not having to worry about the lawn being perfect all the time (which it never will, due to the house across the street having a gas explosion and throwing debris into the front yard a few years ago, some of which is embedded into the ground), and throwing a garage sale without getting approval.

It sucks that my next door neighbors have a Peyton Manning Flag above a Confederate Flag above an American Flag and twenty signs about shooting trespassers on their front lawn. Which is probably why the house was on the market for 21 days (LONG TIME IN 2015 DENVER), before we bought it.

Oh, and our property tax is about 1K per year. We do have income tax, though.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

blackmet posted:

It sucks that my next door neighbors have a Peyton Manning Flag above a Confederate Flag above an American Flag and twenty signs about shooting trespassers on their front lawn. Which is probably why the house was on the market for 21 days (LONG TIME IN 2015 DENVER), before we bought it.

Why don't you just drive your house to a new spot?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Droo posted:

Why don't you just drive your house to a new spot?

:allears::cawg::mmmhmm:

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

blackmet posted:

The HOA in my hood expired a long time ago.

It's nice not having to worry about the lawn being perfect all the time (which it never will, due to the house across the street having a gas explosion and throwing debris into the front yard a few years ago, some of which is embedded into the ground), and throwing a garage sale without getting approval.

Oh, and our property tax is about 1K per year. We do have income tax, though.

That's pretty obnoxious. Think he'd take the Manning flag down?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
$5,000 in gun related purchases to flip after a landslide Hillary victory.

It's worth $4,000 now :downs:

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

NancyPants posted:

Isn't it funny how free we are in the US to do as we like and not pay high taxes compared to all those pinkos and commies abroad?

I've never quite figured out how everyone in the US ends up paying so much tax for everything yet gets so little for the money collected. It's almost as if the state and federal Governments are going broke.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Devian666 posted:

I've never quite figured out how everyone in the US ends up paying so much tax for everything yet gets so little for the money collected. It's almost as if the state and federal Governments are going broke.

Who is paying so much taxes? US taxes are in general pretty low for a developed country.

Despite being in the 28% marginal bracket, my effective federal income tax rate was about 17% last year. No tricks or loopholes. Long term capital gains are only 15%.

My state has no income tax and the ~10% sales tax is still almost half of what most Euro countries have in VAT. It's regressive as hell, but benefits me hugely as a big saver.

Property tax in the area is ~1.5%/yr which is not too bad, despite so many people complaining all the time. And assessed values always underrun market values, sometimes quite considerably.

Even with some of the highest state/city gas taxes in the nation, our $3/gallon gas is still peanuts compared to most of the developed world.

I'd gladly pay some more taxes if we got a universal healthcare system and strong safety net and regulatory institutions. Instead we play starve the beast and then point at the underfunded systems as failures, while buying more tanks for the Army who doesn't want them.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 15, 2016

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Devian666 posted:

Most (like 70%) of our federal taxes go to social security, medicare, and the military. You can argue about whether they are good or not, but if you are under 65 you don't get any benefit from social security or medicare, and the benefits we get from a strong military aren't something people really think about or can attribute dollars to in their everyday life.

Also, people in the US don't really pay as much tax as they think they do compared to a lot of countries. I looked up NZ taxes just out of curiosity and it looks like you guys actually do pay less - but your retirement benefits look a little smaller than social security is on average to me, military is obviously cheaper. I assume you don't have a black hole sucking money in that you call a health care industry, and your sales tax is higher than most of ours (sales tax is a state thing).

So to sum up, we give old people more stuff and we bulldoze giant piles of money into healthcare and the military.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
To be fair the military acts as a giant social safety net for the poor. It isn't privileged families in the northern states forming the bulk of enlistment. A majority of the military budget goes to salaries and general operations.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

$5,000 in gun related purchases to flip after a landslide Hillary victory.

It's worth $4,000 now :downs:

Who? I want to buy discount guns from a desperate idiot whose plan didn't pan out.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

cowofwar posted:

To be fair the military acts as a giant social safety net for the poor. It isn't privileged families in the northern states forming the bulk of enlistment. A majority of the military budget goes to salaries and general operations.

You and I have really different understandings of what a social safety net is.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Spermy Smurf posted:

Who? I want to buy discount guns from a desperate idiot whose plan didn't pan out.

Me. But I'm not desperate so this Idiot is going to keep it all.

Dogfish posted:

Holy lol seriously.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

cowofwar posted:

I think that at its most charitable you mean "employment scheme" rather than safety net.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Dogfish posted:

I have a bunch of co-workers who used the GI bill to get their degrees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Derail bird, where are you?

• Locked thread