Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Thoguh posted:

Somewhere, David Brock perks up and pumps his fist.

he should simmer the gently caress down because it was also super gross to effectively make all the young women who supported bernie invisible

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Thinking more about the day we voted: hell, even my wife, who climbed fully onto the HRC train and is way more into idpol stuff than me in general, seemed to be much more excited about the weed referendum than about voting for HRC, despite the fact that at the time we still thought it was a historic vote.

ugh

HISSSSSS

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Oh Snapple! posted:

he should simmer the gently caress down because it was also super gross to effectively make all the young women who supported bernie invisible

oh, he knew. They were counting on that. and it worked

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

loquacius posted:

oh, he knew. They were counting on that. and it worked

otoh it was kind of beautiful when the dnc happened and folks just couldn't wait to wallow in all those berniebro tears

then the cameras turned to the bernie folks and it was a shitload of women

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

logikv9 posted:

Tell me where to throw my $$$ to buy that obama picture

oh so now you like giant pictures of peoples faces!?!?!

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Al! posted:

oh so now you like giant pictures of peoples faces!?!?!

:sweatdrop: gently caress

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

loquacius posted:

Thinking more about the day we voted: hell, even my wife, who climbed fully onto the HRC train and is way more into idpol stuff than me in general, seemed to be much more excited about the weed referendum than about voting for HRC, despite the fact that at the time we still thought it was a historic vote.

ugh

HISSSSSS

weed saves lives

Hillary kills people

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I've never seen a political campaign use identity politics as a bludgeon quite like Hillary's. I stopped paying attention to the election after the New York primary, but it was insane for Bernie supporters to be painted as young prejudiced white guys when that couldn't be further from the truth. He pulled ahead with the youth in nearly all demographics. He had advantage with the Native American and Arab demographics Not to mention winning one of the only minority majority states in the union.. Most of all, his policies and rhetoric were fairly inclusive of minority issues.

People can tell when you're bullshitting them, and much of the rhetoric coming from the Hillary campaign came across as insincere and mostly for political gain. Democrats have to be honest and sincere with the American people going forward

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
God Eichenwald is such an insufferable shithead, he hyped up all sorts of minor stories as bombshell Trump oppo and now since the election loss he's been on a nonstop :argh: BERNIEBROS :argh: meltdown. Is there any actual hard data to suggest that third-party voters are responsible for Hillary losing or are these just bitter neoliberal tears?

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

menino posted:

Bernie's value is that he validates this feeling: You hate your rear end in a top hat boss? That's OK, he's a loving rear end in a top hat.

There are simply not enough Type A Lisa Simpsons in the managerial class to get 65 mm votes + in 2020. Gotta get somebody who makes you feel OK about feeling like your boss is an rear end in a top hat.

Is this stupid and overly reliant on identity? Of course, but that's a reality. Liberals have kept selling us victims, without naming victimizers.

Bernie's migrant job ad ends with him saying in voiceover "Who benefits from this exploitation?" Not naming names, but implying: there is a villain here.

quote:

Roosevelt excelled in evoking the hatred of the privileged and the admiration of ordinary Americans. During the Depression, a North Carolina farmer declared, in all sincerity, "I’m proud of our United States, and every time I hear the 'Star Spangled Banner' I feel a lump in my throat. There ain’t no other nation in the world that would have sense enough to think of WPA and all the other A’s..."

A North Carolina mill worker was pungent in his praise: "Mr. Roosevelt is the only man we ever had in the White House who would understand that my boss is a son-of-a-bitch.”

I think anger can be a good motivator sometimes, in the "I'm mad as hell and I'm not gonna take it anymore" sense. Social Security's genesis was one man being enraged at seeing two old women pick through garbage cans near his house. He just couldn't stand to live in a country where such a thing could happen. I do think the DNC needs to tap into that sense of anger felt by disaffected working class people of all stripes and channel it.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

unwantedplatypus posted:

People can tell when you're bullshitting them, and much of the rhetoric coming from the Hillary campaign came across as insincere and mostly for political gain. Democrats have to be honest and sincere with the American people going forward

MJ12 posted:

Honestly at this point I feel the truth is far less important than selling an appealing narrative. And if "Hillary Clinton was a saint who tried to mend the cracks in America but was stabbed in the back by the evil Republicans who lied to her and demonized her unfairly" gets people supporting progressive policy instead of staying home, I'm gonna shout that from the loving rooftops. And I think there's actually a pretty potent grain of narrative there if you want to promote a leftward shift and a movement away from centrism. "Clinton reached out to the right, tried to assuage their fears by saying she wouldn't do anything radical, and they didn't believe her, then stabbed her in the back for an orange rapist. We had misgivings about her, fundamental disagreements with her policy, and she took our votes as granted but we turned out for her because we have honor and humanity and basic decency" might be a pretty decent start of a sell for a bitter centrist.

Honesty and sincerity or appealing bullshit?

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

So I see a lot of posters talking about their local party organizations don't have any meetings except rarely or not at all. What are they supposed to do in this situation to get involved?

Would like to know this answer as well. I moved a few months ago to just over the county line, but looking at my old county's Democratic party page, their Events listing is blank as far back as I checked, and it's impossible to get in touch with anyone.

I've filled out volunteer forms and emailed questions to the state and the county I moved to, and emailed the chair of my old county.

I live in fr*akin PA, we've got a dem governor and senate seat coming up on 2018. Harness my anger before I get scandal fatigue

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MaxxBot posted:

God Eichenwald is such an insufferable shithead, he hyped up all sorts of minor stories as bombshell Trump oppo and now since the election loss he's been on a nonstop :argh: BERNIEBROS :argh: meltdown. Is there any actual hard data to suggest that third-party voters are responsible for Hillary losing or are these just bitter neoliberal tears?

See, here's the thing. What he dropped would have mattered any other election. Trump breaking the Cuba embargo got criminally (:haw:) under-reported. They were big stories, just no one outside of MSNBC gave a poo poo, and even then.

Now his actions after the election? Meh, gently caress that poo poo.

Also, Clinton totally could have used his use of Chinese metals in ads in the rust belt to great effect, but I believed they did jack poo poo about that.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

loquacius posted:

also while googling podesta because I couldn't remember his first name I saw this article on a right-wing blog

Obviously I don't trust it as true for one loving second, but it's funny as political fanfic :allears:

My uncle who works at Nintendo reports that Hillary was in a "pyschotic, drunken rage" election night

Lol I wish IRL Hillary cared as much as fanfic Hillary

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Vox Nihili posted:

Lol I wish IRL Hillary cared as much as fanfic Hillary

I dunno, for all the things someone could throw at Hillary, "Didn't want to be president badly enough" was hardly one of them.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

This is me at several key moments in my life

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

iospace posted:

Also, Clinton totally could have used his use of Chinese metals in ads in the rust belt to great effect, but I believed they did jack poo poo about that.
People tried, just not the Clinton campaign:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7oxlTfqYk0
Imagine if that one played regularly on TV instead of Trump Being Offensive Remix #7.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Yeah. Psychotic, drunken rage was def where I was at, why should she be different?

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

no drat it... i want it taller! taller I said!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Thoguh posted:

I dunno, for all the things someone could throw at Hillary, "Didn't want to be president badly enough" was hardly one of them.

she rolled over to Trump pretty hard the day after, lots of self-congratulations and moving ahead

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Nonsense posted:

This is me at several key moments in my life

he looks like a david lynch impersonator

but not a very successful one

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
i dont get why the bush administration didn't just go to war on david brock's face

plenty of oil to be liberated there.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
"We found urinal cakes i.e. yellow cake being sponged up on david brock's face and that is justifiable enough to go to war over, we must preserve liberty and freedom yadada thats great but the oil tho"

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Lastgirl posted:

i dont get why the bush administration didn't just go to war on david brock's face

plenty of oil to be liberated there.

got drat

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I think anger can be a good motivator sometimes, in the "I'm mad as hell and I'm not gonna take it anymore" sense. Social Security's genesis was one man being enraged at seeing two old women pick through garbage cans near his house. He just couldn't stand to live in a country where such a thing could happen. I do think the DNC needs to tap into that sense of anger felt by disaffected working class people of all stripes and channel it.

:same:

:bern101:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

this thred passed page 169 and nobody said noice

so

noice

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Without a doubt. They should have done that for this election but oh well, hindsight is 20/20.

oh hey that could be a good campaign slogan

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

MeatwadIsGod posted:

yeah

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Al! posted:

this thred passed page 169 and nobody said noice

so

noice

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

My Linux Rig posted:

Without a doubt. They should have done that for this election but oh well, hindsight is 20/20.

oh hey that could be a good campaign slogan
It's not just a good campaign slogan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_qgVn-Op7Q

It's a phenomenal campaign slogan.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX0fIi3H-es

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

ThndrShk2k posted:

It's not just a good campaign slogan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_qgVn-Op7Q

It's a phenomenal campaign slogan.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX0fIi3H-es

that would fun day in the city hearing people shout that out the window :allears:

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I've got a mailing list of every Dem politician in TN and every time I read something frustrating about the Clinton campaign I print off a copy of my Ellison letter and mail it to the next person on the list. Probably doesn't accomplish much but it is helping me feel better.

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD - a finding which may prove to be valuable in elephant-control work in Africa.
Please don't let this thread devolve into something unproductive guys. Lots of Goodposters getting probated. The primary is over, there is no knowing what could have been. An autopsy of the general election is helpful, but that is over, too, and I would rather be looking forward and discuss what needs to be next. And if there are any conservative Republican types, I'd love then to chime in from time to time so that we don't wind up in a near total echo chamber.

Bernie Babbies: I am one of you, but we can move past it, and heal.

CheesyDog posted:

I've got a mailing list of every Dem politician in TN and every time I read something frustrating about the Clinton campaign I print off a copy of my Ellison letter and mail it to the next person on the list. Probably doesn't accomplish much but it is helping me feel better.

The wheely oil gets the squeaks. I'm glad you're doing something. Literally every person I know is tired of politics and wants to go back to ignoring them. Needless to say, I've become less than appreciated.

GlobglogGroAbgalab has issued a correction as of 23:21 on Nov 15, 2016

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

CheesyDog posted:

Physics letters help a lot

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
So has any Democrat figure pledged support for anyone other than Ellison at this point? It seems like there's not even a token resistance to the handing over of power.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Fulchrum posted:

So has any Democrat figure pledged support for anyone other than Ellison at this point? It seems like there's not even a token resistance to the handing over of power.

I'm just waiting for you to start arguing over this. :nallears:

Literally nobody answer this.

Deimus
Aug 17, 2012

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Sure, the dems should just make cold, remote polls about 'how angry people are' and make a campaign citing those polls next time.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Re: people calling and trying to get involved, etc. Don't get discouraged if you don't get a lot of buy in right away. I haven't been involved in politics much but I have been involved in volunteer organizations and having people who show up super excited and then disappear after a week is pretty standard. So expect to have to take some time to show you're actually serious and not just a flash in the pan. Don't get offended if you have to actually show your worth before you're taken seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD - a finding which may prove to be valuable in elephant-control work in Africa.
DNC Aiming To Reconnect With Working-Class Americans With New ‘Hamilton’-Inspired Lena Dunham Web Series

:laffo:

I think we need to focus on understanding and helping others to understand issues going forward. Then again, I've never been a CoolKid, so the social pressure to remain a CoolKid never hits me that hard, and turns me off in a most healthy way.

E:

bump_fn posted:

that's what the second time someone posted the thing thats literally in the thread title lmao

Oh poo poo. My bad.

GlobglogGroAbgalab has issued a correction as of 23:46 on Nov 15, 2016

• Locked thread