Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Lockback posted:

I miss some of the previous Civ games where I had civ bros who would join up even if it meant killing their chance of winning. Like, play for 2nd place sometimes.

I definitely miss this, I loved being able to take a weak empire under my wing and just having a great pal to hang out with. Now they just eventually grow to resent you. I am really not a fan of AI operating at a meta level to be a spoiler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I miss being able to buy small lovely cities from other civs if I was rich. Never had it work in this one.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Geight posted:

Civ games in general, in my experience

All the Civ 5 games I played were over at the renaissance, when one guy built 20 frigates and ran over every other country at the same time.

Either Civ 5 was broken or we were all terrible. Probably the second one.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
There a mod to auto-refresh my spies yet? I just want them to run counterspy operations forever.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
AI leaders pulling you into a screen repeatedly is obnoxious as gently caress. There really should be a sidebar ringing phone, or messenger pigeon, or something, to tell you that they want to talk.

Ignore it for -diplo points.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Trivia posted:

AI leaders pulling you into a screen repeatedly is obnoxious as gently caress. There really should be a sidebar ringing phone, or messenger pigeon, or something, to tell you that they want to talk.

Ignore it for -diplo points.

Yeah, if the only conversation interaction I can have is "Goodbye" then it should just be a rep warning in the right-hand action log that I can left-click to see more info / play the animation or right-click to dismiss.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Civ VI is pretty fun, but it seems like every flaw was just the worst parts of V that never got fixed.

The hammer to science imbalance in this game feels particularly bad. Tech still goes way too fast compared to building ability.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Also, has anyone figured out what sending delegations / embassies net you?

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Trivia posted:

I've never gotten the AI to accept either an embassy , or a declaration of friendship =(

Some other 'wtf' game points:

* the AI won't ever agree to a 1:1 trade on luxuries.
* the numbers under 'our relationship' don't mean poo poo. I've had a bunch of pluses totaling 30+ points, with maybe 5 negatives and I've never seen the AI go above suspicious (or whatever the yellow frowny face is).
* the UI doesn't update things like 'time to growth', or 'time to completion', or 'amenities', when you move around your resources mid turn (i.e I finished the colosseum with a great engineer, but didn't see a change in amenities for another 3 turns)
* the UI is really just atrocious

Gato The Elder fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Nov 15, 2016

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Yeah, the AI being so gamey definitely makes the game less interesting. I guess they're trying to simulate playing against other people but that isn't why I play Civ games and it isn't very fun, and also they're really bad at it.

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.

Trivia posted:

Besides a relationship boost, it's early game espionage -- before spies are available, they give you sight over the other civ's relationship mods etc.

Also fwiw this UI mod has hugely improved my feelings towards the game. You can get the latest release but I've just been downloading the latest master branch and it's been fine.

Sharrow fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Nov 15, 2016

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
I have a 100% delegation acceptance rate. Right after they send you one, send one right back.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Cowman posted:

Started a new game and met Egypt who then denounced me in a couple turns and Greece who declared war on me right after introducing themselves. Funnily the game bugged and showed my civilization declaring war on me as well. This is on Warlord. Egypt denounced me because I didn't have a big army. Greece as far as I could tell declared war on me because I haven't declared war on anyone.

This new AI is bad.

When you see that you've declared war on yourself, what that actually means is that somebody you haven't met yet has declared war on you.

Sharrow posted:

Also fwiw this UI mod has hugely improved my feelings towards the game. You can get the latest release but I've just been downloading the latest master branch and it's been fine.

I'm going to try that out just because of "Improved resource icons are dimmed to emphasize unutilized resources". I'm not sure why you would want units sorting above buildings, though. :confused:

prefect fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Nov 15, 2016

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

People seem to talk a lot about city specialization which was supposed to be a thing now, compared to CIV5. But I don't find the need to actually do this, there's always more than enough room for improvements and districts when not directly on the coast. Am I not doing it right?

prefect posted:

I'm going to try that out just because of "Improved resource icons are dimmed to emphasize unutilized resources". I'm not sure why you would want units sorting above buildings, though. :confused:

I guess that's something for the traditionalists.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

OMG sriracha pudding! posted:

* the numbers under 'our relationship' don't mean poo poo. I've had a bunch of pluses totaling 30+ points, with maybe 5 negatives and I've never seen the AI go above suspicious (or whatever the yellow frowny face is).

Surprise! Those numbers are actually the changes per turn to a hidden total number which determines their relation level. Like if you have +30 -5 you are getting a net + 25 per turn added to your relations level. But maybe you're at -10,000 and they become friendly at +200, who knows? :shrug:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

John F Bennett posted:

People seem to talk a lot about city specialization which was supposed to be a thing now, compared to CIV5. But I don't find the need to actually do this, there's always more than enough room for improvements and districts when not directly on the coast. Am I not doing it right?

The number of districts you can build in a city is limited by the city size. Still, I never found that to be a factor, since I usually plain and simple don't have any production to build Science, Faith and Culture districts before, like, early Industrial era. There's always more important poo poo to build.

Darkrenown posted:

Surprise! Those numbers are actually the changes per turn to a hidden total number which determines their relation level. Like if you have +30 -5 you are getting a net + 25 per turn added to your relations level. But maybe you're at -10,000 and they become friendly at +200, who knows? :shrug:

Which makes the 'initial impression' and 'different government' penalties all the more insane.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

prefect posted:

I think the logic is, since you should only be constructing buildings once, but you may build many of any unit, they should go to the top of the list.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

John F Bennett posted:

I mean, for holy site/campus/theater/entertainment districts, I'll choose which one to start with based on terrain. And since I always build industrial/commercial/harbor districts first, each city probably only gets 2 or maybe 3 from that secondary group

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Handy tip: If you get the great merchant Crassus, who lets you annex/extend your territory by three hexes, and you use that extra room to extend into the ocean, you don't get to build a harbor on those new spaces. :argh:

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Even if the tile is within three spaces from the city center???

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What's the best way to lay out my cities and industrial districts to get the most production for my buck? I tried to make sure all of my industrial districts were within six tiles of at least one other city for the power plant bonus but that didn't seem to help much when the late-game rush to build space projects started and I got beat by Scythia winning a religious victory.

Also, is it just me, or is war more of a slog this time? I briefly entertained the idea of taking Scythia's capital to prevent the religious win, but it was a whole continent away with a ton of nasty terrain and other Scythian cities in-between and I just couldn't pull it off without crippling all of my other production.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Rexides posted:

Even if the tile is within three spaces from the city center???

That I don't know. But London was as big as it could get, and just brushing up against the shore, so I figured I'd try to stretch for the harbor. No luck.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Yeah, I doubt they would let you circumvent city limit range with a GP. His only use should be to save you the money it would take to buy those tiles, or grab a luxury/strategic resource that's just out of range.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
That UI mod from a page back looks pretty amazing, gonna be trying it out tonight.

Has anyone tried this one out? It seems to help close the science/production gap in the mid game fairly well: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/mod-civ-6-improvements-patch.601878/

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

OMG sriracha pudding! posted:

I've never gotten the AI to accept either an embassy , or a declaration of friendship =(

If you're not quite at the threshold, try a deal for open borders first. A few positive points from that usually does the trick.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

My favorite AI quirk is when you sue for peace ten times in a row but they won't hear of it, then on the 11th turn they attack your city and lose one slinger so they turn around and offer you all their gold and all their spare resources for peace.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

One UI improvement over V is city-state quests: I can always see what they want from the map, and I can see which ones want trade routes from the trade route screen.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

homullus posted:

One UI improvement over V is city-state quests: I can always see what they want from the map, and I can see which ones want trade routes from the trade route screen.

City states in general are super cool now. I can't just buy all of them with a half-decent economy, and fighting over one to a rival feels like it has actual consequences. I lost my status with Kandy and then immediately found a natural wonder, no relic for me!

Others, like the one that gives you full housing no matter whether you are water adjacent, can completely change your strategy if you find out they're available.

A great change - but wait, there's more. On any difficulty higher than Prince half the AI civilizations LOVE killing city states. Half of them are gone by the classical era on anything above King. This takes a really cool nuance (I'm going to manipulate my diplomatic policies so I can maintain control of this city state to ensure I can maintain fresh water in all cities to settle a more defensible and efficient grouping of cities without them being hard capped early on, trading short-term advantages in giving envoys to other city states or using a different policy in order to create long term benefits) and then makes it into "Germany conquered them. That city you settled one tile away from the coast is hosed now. Oh, you want to liberate them? Good luck doing so without getting a huge warmonger penalty and killing any diplomatic game you had going."

Javaman98
Jul 15, 2002

ask me about strobing in LoL
I read through the readme of the UI mod and didn't see this feature.

Does it cause civic changes to be reflected immediately.

I know I can use a spread sheet to figure out if +culture for trade routes or theater districts is better for me, but like I'm already running the game on the computer, so I'm not sure why it doesn't do it for me? I hate slotting a new civic to find out I forgot something and now it's giving me less benefits than the old one I had.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Tom Tucker posted:

City states in general are super cool now. I can't just buy all of them with a half-decent economy, and fighting over one to a rival feels like it has actual consequences. I lost my status with Kandy and then immediately found a natural wonder, no relic for me!

(I'm going to manipulate my diplomatic policies so I can maintain control of this city state to ensure I can maintain fresh water in all cities to settle a more defensible and efficient grouping of cities without them being hard capped early on, trading short-term advantages in giving envoys to other city states or using a different policy in order to create long term benefits)

:staredog:

I'm going to look at city-states a lot more closely. (I am a dummy who didn't read beyond the 1/3/6 envoy benefits.)

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

some suzerain bonuses are great. many are unimpressive.

this is fine though, you can just conquer the garbage ones.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

prefect posted:

Handy tip: If you get the great merchant Crassus, who lets you annex/extend your territory by three hexes, and you use that extra room to extend into the ocean, you don't get to build a harbor on those new spaces. :argh:

That's an ironic ability for the guy who led Rome to basically the greatest defeat it had during its ascendancy

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

City states in general are pretty great, I like the envoy system as it intersects with their quests. They are no longer winner-take-all, and you have some neat proxy battles with other civs to be their suzerain. They seem like a bit of design space that could be explored further with expansions, too, as they were in V with Venice and Austria.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Here I shall rate all of the city states. Note that I'm ignoring the general 1 / 3 / 6 envoy bonuses because these are consistent across them.

Cultural: some of the best city states, all have a great effects that don't have much to do with cultural victory.
A) Mohenjo Daro - Your cities all have full Housing from water, as if they were next to a river. Finding this guy early can completely change the way you lay out your empire and allow optimal placements to take advantage of forest / hill tiles without worrying about water.
B+) Vilnius - When you enter a new era, earn 1 random Inspiration from that era. Assuming you don't get it before classical that's 7 inspirations, the equivalent to 7 goody huts, and can jumps start your culture movement and allow you to focus on specific inspirations.
B) Kumasi - Your Trade Routes to any city-state provide +2 Culture and +1 Gold for every specialty district in the origin city. Trade routes to city states are generally not as potent as internal ones or ones to other civilizations but it can be great if you have some good industrial guys to work with.
B) Nan Madol - Your districts on or next to Coast tiles provide +2 Culture. If you start near the coast or are playing on an island map this can be really useful, otherwise really not. Worth getting if you have a few cities near the coast.

Industrial: always the best to have around because, well, they provide production.
A+) Toronto - Regional effects from your Industrial Zone and Entertainment Complex districts reach 3 tiles farther. Simply the best late game city state. Like Itinerant Preachers you might not appreciate how big an effect this is. It seems like a +50% reach, but because of the hex nature of the game extending from 6 to 9 or 3-6 means you're covering way more than 50% more area. Simplifying to circles it results in around 300 - 400% increase in the area covered by a power plant / arena / etc. Overlapping bonuses are the best and going wide is the best and Toronto makes them both amazing.
B+) Buenos Aires - Your Bonus resources behave like Luxury resources, providing 1 Amenity per type. You'll never have to worry about amenities again, basically.
C) Brussels - Your cities receive +15% Production bonus towards wonders. Wonders aren't that great in 6, but consider that this basically mimics most of a Civ's main feature (France) across all ages.
F) Hong Kong - Your Cities get +20% Production towards City projects. If I ever had time to do city projects maybe this would be good? I've never done one, though, always something better to do.

Militaristic: surprisingly some good items here for non-domination victories.
A) Carthage - Each Encampment Provides a extra trade route. More trade routes. Trade routes are amazing. Enough said.
B-) Kabul - Your units receive double experience from battles they initiate. Great for domination, where unit EXP seems to be much more heavily rationed.
B-) Preslav - Your light and heavy cavalry units have +5 Strength when fighting on hill tiles. Are you Scythia? Win harder. If not, eh.
C) Valletta- Allows the suzerain to consume faith to purchase urban centers and military buildings in your city. Reduces faith prices. Reduction in faith prices is nice but faith I find is best either used to spread early, used on great people, or national parks. If you're going religious then you want to use your faith on apostles, otherwise you just won't have enough faith to make this useful.

Religious: All these actually make sense for religious victories!
A) Yerevan - Your Apostle units can choose from any possible promotions instead of receiving a random promotion. If you have this your religious victory becomes so much easier because you can either choose tons more spreads (if facing no resistance) or combat strength (if facing resistance), customize your apostles to the needs you have, and convert everyone. Also good for cultural victories for relics.
A-) Jerusalem - Automatically converts to the Religion you founded, and exerts pressure for that religion as if it were a Holy City. Tons of religious pressure for free is good. Bonus if it's on a continent you're trying to get a religious foothold in. Only really good for religious victories.
B) Kandy - Receive a Relic every time you discover a new Natural Wonder, and earn +50% Faith from all Relics. You know how many natural wonders are around based on map size, so get this before exploring other continents to get some free relics!
D) La Venta - Your Builders can now make Colossal Head improvements. (A tile improvement that produces +3 Faith). 3 Faith from a tile is not that good at all. There are way better ways to get faith than tile yields, so can't see myself using this improvement much.

Scientific: A bunch of really solid ones here.
A) Stockholm - Your districts provide +1 Great Person point of their type (Great Writer, Great Artist, and Great Musician for Theater Square districts). Great people rock, this bonus gives you tons more points, and is one of the few ways to get an edge on great engineers. Obviously great for cultural victory but don't discount how good scientists / merchants / engineers are this game. They could do an entire review themselves
A) Seoul - When you enter a new era, earn a random Eureka from that era. 7 free eurekas? Yes please! One of the few ways to accelerate your tech if you're not doing things like building musketmen or killing things with spearmen.
B-) Geneva - Your cities earn +15% Science when not at war with any civilization. Great bonus, but it means nothing if not at war, and as you may have noticed the AI likes to wage war with you in this game.
C) Hattusa - Provides you with 1 of each Strategic resource you have revealed but do not own. Not that handy now that only military units really require strategy resources.

Trade: These are mostly meh.
B+) Zanzibar - Receive the Cinnamon and Cloves luxury resources. They cannot be earned any other way in the game, and provide 6 Amenities each. Free amenities! Also note they provide 6 Amenities each, pretty drat good if you have amenity issues.
B) Amsterdam - Your Trade Routes to foreign cities earn +1 Gold for each Luxury Resource. A good quick source for + gold for international trade routes, not bad.
B-) Jakarta - Your trading posts foreign +1 Gold to Trade routes passing through. I find it impossible to track, predict, or plan my trading posts, and I usually just pick the biggest route to send guys to... maybe if I planned trade routes better this would be better?
C) Lisbon - Your Trader units are immune to being plundered on water tiles. I guess it's nice if you're at war or having some barbarian issues but I haven't seen many of my trade routes get pillaged at sea much. Would be great for early game trade when barbarian scouts are still running around if it worked on land.

Tom Tucker fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 15, 2016

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Aside from its bonus not really being industrial, I don't see how Buenos Aires isn't an A.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Carthage and Toronto are absolutely musts when available and you should dump extra envoys in them to discourage other AIs from competing. Just 40 trade routes no big deal. Mercantile and industrial city-states are also better in general because you probably have a shitload more industrial zones and commercial hubs than any other district.

I can confirm that the great person which gives one city bonus production and extends the regional building range by 3 tiles does stack with Toronto. 12 tile range, but from the respective industrial zone/entertainment districts not the city itself.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

homullus posted:

Aside from its bonus not really being industrial, I don't see how Buenos Aires isn't an A.

I think I've seen a city limited by amenities only once in a game I've played so far, so maybe it's just limited exposure making me keep them lower, but yeah now that I think about it it's a lot better than Zanzibar, which is also pretty good, so I'd say it's in the A level.

I've also gotten the Colosseum in every game I've played in, though, which basically erases amenities from the game if you have a few trade deals with other civilizations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I could see bumping La Venta up to a C if you're going for culture victory. Unique improvements all generate tourism, especially in later eras. It's not great, but having a few tourism generating improvement on tiles you're not using for wonders anyways doesn't hurt and your civ doesn't have a unique tile improvement of its own.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Does anyone have an effortpost on the best Civs and strategies for the different victory types? Domination is straightforward but Culture eludes me somewhat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Gort posted:

Does anyone have an effortpost on the best Civs and strategies for the different victory types? Domination is straightforward but Culture eludes me somewhat.

France gets a nice bonus on mid-game wonders and a mediocre improvement (it's not bad, just would expect something more for how many requirements the damned thing has).

Egypt has a bonus to ALL wonders if they're adjacent to a river, same with districts and that bonus helps settling up their cities faster. And their UU is basically a lightning-fast super-archer that can be built 2x as fast thanks to policies which is great for clearing out a neighbor or two. Or just keeping barbarians in line.

China gets +1 workers, and can spend a worker charge to rush 20% of a classical or ancient era wonder (hint: Get and rush pyramids ASAP, burning an entire worker on it means you only have to actually build 1/5th of the wonder and now you have +2 workers, including a free one to replace the one you just burned). Your unique unit is basically a super-slinger and your unique improvement's only real limit is you have to build it on the edge of your terrain, otherwise it's a fort that gives gold, culture and, later, tourism

Either version of Greece is pretty good with a handful of small, culture bonuses (including a free wildcard slot). Settle your cities adjacent to hills for your acropoli, apparently somehow the bonuses stacks so an acropolis adjacent to a capital gets +2.

Japan's not bad either: build a bunch of cities with their districts all clumped together, you get half-off on theater districts and your unique factory provides not only more hammers (+4 compared to the normal +3) but a matching amount of culture in all nearby cities.

Oh and Brazil hogging all the great people with his permanent rebate from Great People's R Us.