Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I seriously thought CGR dude was doing fine considering how lavish his space has got. I don't watch it regularly, it's just one of my more trusted sources when I'm looking for a review. Has he said he's in trouble or is he just trying to finance more arcade cabs or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

He had to switch to Patreon because YouTube was no longer paying enough with their new ad model.

It looks like he puts out a lot of small stupid non-game reviews and unboxings, but his actual game reviews are still pretty good IMO.

I actually started throwing him $5 a month during his big push for funding because I don't want to see him go.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
Where else will I hear about Truxton and EDF!EDF!EDF! ?

edit: Pat the NES Punk's annual NES marathon is finishing up today. Raising money for the Children's Miracle Network. I think AVGN is gonna show a video soon on the live stream for the marathon. I know not a lot of people like him, but the cause is good.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

Well, it's not like you're going to need that money for a new Metroid game. :smith:

Anyway, I have a 13" Hitachi next to my bed that NES games look fine on. I also have the monitor pictured here:

The resolution goes pretty high, but I like 800x600 for emulation. Sadly, it's VGA only. The only RCA>>VGA converter I could find (last I looked) had bad reviews.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

The first 3 models of the XRGB (everything but the current mini framemeister) output VGA. If you can find a used one, that might be an option. You'll have to RGB mod your NES though. :homebrew:

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Tobaccrow posted:

Anyway, I have a 13" Hitachi next to my bed that NES games look fine on.

They will probably look better and more "correct" on that than on anything you could do with a VGA monitor. I'm of the firm opinion that the the NES really doesn't need anything like an RGB mod or a better output than composite, it's signal is fine. Of course that goes out the window once you try to hook it up to a modern HDTV and an RGB mod becomes kind of necessary, but there is really not going to be any benefit to somehow getting it running on a VGA monitor.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I kind of wish Nintendo embraced "offbrand" Mario the same way Disney sometimes embraces Mickey's designs through the years. I love those pudgy, squiggly guys on the Mario Bros. arcade machine.

Miyamoto just said Mario is about 26 years old in-game and... no. Just no, MIyamoto.

Light Gun Man posted:

What the hell is this even from?

Kid Icarus

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

al-azad posted:

I kind of wish Nintendo embraced "offbrand" Mario the same way Disney sometimes embraces Mickey's designs through the years. I love those pudgy, squiggly guys on the Mario Bros. arcade machine.

Everything about Mario Bros. is so good. I also still mourn the passing of the 2D pixelart Mario, and the SNES era Yoshi sounds.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Is this the right thread to ask about RetroArch things? I'm pretty new to it but I love having a unified program for all of my emulation needs but I accidentally assigned a game to a core that doesn't perform well but now RetroArch assigns that game to that core always and I can't seem to change it, is there anyway to do so?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I know what a metroid is :v:

I just didn't know there was like, merchandise, ever. Nintendo usually is too busy ignoring the franchise to make more Zelda games instead.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FireMrshlBill posted:

Where else will I hear about Truxton and EDF!EDF!EDF! ?

edit: Pat the NES Punk's annual NES marathon is finishing up today. Raising money for the Children's Miracle Network. I think AVGN is gonna show a video soon on the live stream for the marathon. I know not a lot of people like him, but the cause is good.

Also Desert Bus for Hope is just getting started, having entered its second day.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Light Gun Man posted:

I know what a metroid is :v:

I just didn't know there was like, merchandise, ever. Nintendo usually is too busy ignoring the franchise to make more Zelda games instead.

The line it's part of is "World of Nintendo" and the metroid is actually surprisingly big. I think my picture placed it in context with a Super Famicom cart. It's not quite large enough to latch onto a human head, but it is about the right size to drain the energy from your household pets unless they happen to have bombs.

Speaking of cheesy merchandise, do we want to do a gift exchange this year? I'm asking because if we want to do it then we need to get things rolling soon.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 14, 2016

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Random Stranger posted:

The line it's part of is "World of Nintendo" and the metroid is actually surprisingly big. I think my picture placed it in context with a Super Famicom cart. It's not quite large enough to latch onto a human head, but it is about the right size to drain the energy from your household pets unless they happen to have bombs.

I got one about 2 weeks ago when they showed up on Amazon for 20 bucks finally. I can attest to it being almost comically big. It is bigger than my hand and I have pretty big hands. If you have a Figma Samus it fits pretty well. I want to get one of the new little WoN Metroids to be like the Metroid 2 one.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

This is probably the definition of "Everything to me, Nothing to you", but here goes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Cbqts8Hn3I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjOk8FZ_zow

Gyruss. Ended my run at stage 130, with a score of 1,501,650. An hour and a half, single credit. I even played a few planets while holding Zipper (my dog) because my wife dropped glass in the kitchen, but she was a good sport:

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

This is probably the definition of "Everything to me, Nothing to you", but here goes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Cbqts8Hn3I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjOk8FZ_zow

Gyruss. Ended my run at stage 130, with a score of 1,501,650. An hour and a half, single credit. I even played a few planets while holding Zipper (my dog) because my wife dropped glass in the kitchen, but she was a good sport:

Congrats!

Also, I have that shirt!

Also, Gyruss looks a lot cooler on an arcade machine than on a GBA screen.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Discount Viscount posted:

Gyruss looks a lot cooler on an arcade machine than on a GBA screen.

For me, there are two versions of Gyruss that will always stay with me - the Arcade original and the Atari 800 port by Parker Bros. The Atari 800 game (which, I believe, is the same as the 5200 port) is loving balls hard, which is probably why I'm as good at the original as I am.

I own 2 copies of the GBA Konami Classics Advanced, and while it's good in a pinch for a portable version, the best home "port" of Gyruss will always be the Playstation "Konami Arcade Classics", where they nailed everything except for the demo/attract. Both versions for the Xbox360 (the standalone title, and the Game Room inclusion) have really poor sound quality, likely attributable to Digital Eclipse (who also butchered the sound for the XBLA port of Symphony of the Night).

The NES version was an entirely different game. The Commodore 64 and Colecovision ports are solid efforts that are less rear end in a top hat-y than the straight-up Atari 800 port.

If you can play it on a legit cab, do it. This is why I bought mine from the founder of SC3 for $400 back in 2014. But if you can't play it on a cab, play the Playstation port.

Sidenote on the "score table loop" video - I love the sound of the stick and button. It's very satisfying.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Bought CIB copies of Secret of Evermore and Castlevania 3 for $120, my first retro gaming purchase in like 5 years. Had to stop myself from spending a bunch more on other CIB stuff I'll never play at the local nerd shop....

Turned out that SoE had a dead save battery. Annoying.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
I just recently had a hell of a time fixing a Sony psp. A few years back my little brother was given one by a friend of his who destroyed it. He dumped coke on it and it wouldn't respond anymore. I ended up giving my brother mine so because I wasn't using it.

I decided this last weekend to try fixing it up. I went in and cleaned everything with rubbing alchohol, but the buttons were still glitchy as all hell. I ended up peeling apart the flex cable to buttons work on, and had to clean it and reapply it bit by bit until it worked. I ended up disassembling the drat thing 3 times before I finally got it fixed. Now I can play monster hunter freedom united again!

Sprite141 fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 14, 2016

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
So uh, this is a thing

http://scarybeastsecurity.blogspot.com/2016/11/0day-exploit-compromising-linux-desktop.html

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

img-pentagon-official-sweating-profusely.jpeg

But that is pretty drat crazy, albeit not super widespread or necessarily a major threat. 6502, the MOS that can still roar like a lion.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

That's pretty neat and a reminder that an attack vector can come from just about anywhere. It's kind of similar to those jpg based exploits from a while ago (by which I mean it's an attack based on a poorly implemented codec through the file that it's interpreting; the method is obviously very different).

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
It reminds me mostly directly of when Windows Media Player had the same sort of issue with executing whatever code it finds inside of an MP3.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
The 6502 is power and love. It and many machines using it have been mastered to a level no PC ever will.

I mean, a C64 basically had MacOS only in color first. http://www.osnews.com/story/15223/GEOS-The-Graphical-Environment-Operating-System/

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

FireMrshlBill posted:

He had a video up discussing how Youtube's monetization system has evolved to where his videos are no longer considered as profitable by YouTube's ad program. It benefits the quick videos that go viral or are clickbait. Basically said YouTube isn't the future of CGR, and it would be other means whether DVD sales or whatever. He should put his stuff in volumes and try out that upcoming Amazon service that will be for more polished stuff than YouTube and it's money model is based on views and dividing a set amount of money between the top X channels/videos each month.

The guy's had a Patreon and a merch/DVD store for a pretty good while, though, and I got the impression from the list of backers at the end of every video that his Patreon was doing great to begin with. I guess it wasn't.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The guy's had a Patreon and a merch/DVD store for a pretty good while, though, and I got the impression from the list of backers at the end of every video that his Patreon was doing great to begin with. I guess it wasn't.

I assume it still is, but that was his explanation for going the Patreon route. I guess people were complaining and he was explaining how Youtube ad revenue was no longer sustainable for his type of channel.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!
Mark is going to do private cam shows, where he will review whatever you like, for a price.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

d0s posted:

I seriously thought CGR dude was doing fine considering how lavish his space has got. I don't watch it regularly, it's just one of my more trusted sources when I'm looking for a review. Has he said he's in trouble or is he just trying to finance more arcade cabs or something

He quit making videos full-time and let go of all the other hosts at the end of last year due to shrinking YT revenue but people talked him into using Patreon and now he's back to doing it full-time.

I don't regularly watch his videos and have no idea if or how he's gating his content but giving exclusive/time-exclusive content to backers is de rigueur.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

For me, there are two versions of Gyruss that will always stay with me - the Arcade original and the Atari 800 port by Parker Bros. The Atari 800 game (which, I believe, is the same as the 5200 port) is loving balls hard, which is probably why I'm as good at the original as I am.

I own 2 copies of the GBA Konami Classics Advanced, and while it's good in a pinch for a portable version, the best home "port" of Gyruss will always be the Playstation "Konami Arcade Classics", where they nailed everything except for the demo/attract. Both versions for the Xbox360 (the standalone title, and the Game Room inclusion) have really poor sound quality, likely attributable to Digital Eclipse (who also butchered the sound for the XBLA port of Symphony of the Night).

The NES version was an entirely different game. The Commodore 64 and Colecovision ports are solid efforts that are less rear end in a top hat-y than the straight-up Atari 800 port.

If you can play it on a legit cab, do it. This is why I bought mine from the founder of SC3 for $400 back in 2014. But if you can't play it on a cab, play the Playstation port.

Sidenote on the "score table loop" video - I love the sound of the stick and button. It's very satisfying.

I love hearing about port breakdowns, thank you.

I gotta make it to one of the SC3 backyard parties someday, speaking of. Didn't go to any of the events this year :( I should rope some friends into going to one of the 2084 weekends in the meantime.

Tell me you own two copies of Arcade Advanced so you can select stages in Yie Ar Kung Fu multi.

Time Pilot is really good on that cart. I liked it anyway but having had a chance to play the arcade unit since it's a really good conversion.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Konami Arcade Advanced was a great compilation overall - the ports are all as good as can be expected from the GBA and they generally all have neat extra features like new bonus levels, multiplayer modes, etc.

I'm going through my old GBA compilations right now and most of the non-NES/FC offerings were pretty bad: Namco's releases were okay but the Midway and Atari releases are a crapshoot and Sega Smash Pack sucks. (Sega Arcade Gallery's not too bad, however.)

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Nov 15, 2016

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Konami Arcade Advanced was a great compilation overall - the ports are all as good as can be expected from the GBA and they generally all have neat extra features like new bonus levels, multiplayer modes, etc.

I'm going through my old GBA compilations right now and most of the non-NES/FC offerings were pretty bad: Namco's releases were okay but the Midway and Atari releases are a crapshoot and Sega Smash Pack sucks. (Sega Arcade Gallery's not too bad, however.)

I wish Frogger had the original tune. The new music isn't bad at all, but it's such a strange change. That's my only big complaint with it.

As for the Midway and Atari releases, well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWOG17Bvc7E

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

A few points:

• I don't have a GBA link cable to actually play Yie Ar Kung Fu multi anyhow. I bought a second copy because I saw it for $5 in a random bin at the September SC3 and was like "Man, I don't remember which case I put my other copy in, so gently caress it here's $5."

• As far as Frogger's music being changed, Konami's always got that whole "yeah we stole poo poo wholesale" stigma from back then. See also: "Theme from The Great Escape" as the high score music for Green Beret/Rush N Attack, the entire Hard Day's Night soundtrack for the game Mikie, and Vangelis' Chariots of Fire for the intro to Track & Field. I'm not surprised they'd go "revisionist history" instead of licensing it proper, but it is sad. ... and as it is sad, it is so very very Konami.

• I forgot to mention a few of the "rear end in a top hat moves" that the original 80s home ports of Gyruss contain.

1) Every single one of them, in some way, change up how the Chance Stage formations enter the play field, and the timing is unpredictable as a result.

2) In every port of Gyruss save for the NES outlier, there's a condition where a fifth wave of ships will enter the screen (and its pattern is randomized) if you have destroyed enough of the initial four waves per warp.

Example: in the arcade, 2 warps to Neptune's culmination of attacks are (by 12hr clock) 6, 4:30, 7:30, 12. If you have (I think?) four or fewer ships left of those waves remaining in the fold, a fifth wave will attack (usually you'll get a 4:30 swarm wave that usually comes about in Uranus).

Where the home ports turn up the rear end in a top hat:Even in the opening warps of Neptune and Uranus, that random fifth wave might just be an Earth wave, which is almost a sure fire death unless you are well-prepared.

Seriously, though, ask me any Gyruss question you have. I am happy to answer. I decided to play through the Commodore64 port last night after my cabinet run, which is where I re-encountered the Earth Wave thing, and it's a biiiiitch.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
Has anyone used the FlashMasta Neo Geo Pocket Color or Wonderswan flashcarts? Any good? Are they the best option for those systems?

Lack of an SD card kind of sucks but if it works well and isn't a janky piece of poo poo I'm down.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Welp, the NES Mini has been hacked already. Hopefully someone figures out a way to load more games onto it by the time the system isn't sold out everywhere.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

A few points:

• As far as Frogger's music being changed, Konami's always got that whole "yeah we stole poo poo wholesale" stigma from back then. See also: "Theme from The Great Escape" as the high score music for Green Beret/Rush N Attack, the entire Hard Day's Night soundtrack for the game Mikie, and Vangelis' Chariots of Fire for the intro to Track & Field. I'm not surprised they'd go "revisionist history" instead of licensing it proper, but it is sad. ... and as it is sad, it is so very very Konami.

I have no idea what Frogger's music could be a rip of, but it remained in at least two other Game Boy versions through the 90s. But that makes total sense, the same thing happened even a bit later with Parodius (turns out disco and Glenn Miller songs are still in copyright, who knew :v: ?)

Seriously, though, ask me any Gyruss question you have. I am happy to answer. I decided to play through the Commodore64 port last night after my cabinet run, which is where I re-encountered the Earth Wave thing, and it's a biiiiitch.

How into Tempest are you?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
This is is pretty interesting, a guy whose day job is repairing old TVs and radios got called in to repair a malfunctioning Asteroids cabinet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfKYHPU3uek

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Monopthalmus posted:

Has anyone used the FlashMasta Neo Geo Pocket Color or Wonderswan flashcarts? Any good? Are they the best option for those systems?

Lack of an SD card kind of sucks but if it works well and isn't a janky piece of poo poo I'm down.

I own both. They work fine but be prepared to go back to the dark ages of manual flashing and save management. The wonderswan cart has a lot of games that don't work so be sure to check the thread listing the incompatible games before deciding if it's worth a purchase.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

I have no idea what Frogger's music could be a rip of, but it remained in at least two other Game Boy versions through the 90s. But that makes total sense, the same thing happened even a bit later with Parodius (turns out disco and Glenn Miller songs are still in copyright, who knew :v: ?)

Did some googling, found this:

"7. The opening theme tune is based on a Japanese children's song

That catchy opening theme tune on the arcade version? It's not an original composition. It's a Japanese song called Inu No Omawarisan (The Dog Policeman), and was originally aimed at kids. It's not the only theme borrowed from elsewhere – during gameplay you'll also hear the signature songs from Japanese anime series Hana no Ko Lunlun and Araiguma Rascal. Perhaps Konami couldn't find a decent composer during development?"

How into Tempest are you?

Surprisingly not a lot. I think the difficulty ramp-up throws me off, not to mention the spinner and the button being not optimal for my play style. Galaga, though? Galaga is enjoyable.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

fishmech posted:

This is is pretty interesting, a guy whose day job is repairing old TVs and radios got called in to repair a malfunctioning Asteroids cabinet:

I'm excited to watch this when I get home. One of my favorite articles is the guy who detailed his repair of Computer Space. Someone posted it here last year:
https://edfries.wordpress.com/2015/03/13/fixing-computer-space-3/

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

fishmech posted:

"I guess what's supposed to happen is you hit the fire button and the thing shoots out of the thing"

I love the mix of expert EE knowledge and the utter lack of Asteroids knowledge. Also that he REALLY doesn't care for video games. It's kinda endearing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/11/hyperkin_supaboy_s_promises_multi-region_snes_gaming_on_the_go

Hyperkin is releasing the SupaBoy S next month. Bigger screen, better battery life, and now supports both PAL and NTSC. The original one wasn't quite my cup of tea, but it might be worth a look.

• Locked thread