Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

People who evolve Pikachu are bad people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Waffles Inc. posted:

what about male popplios? any good inspiration?

Fabplio. This might get confusing if you plan on having Alolan Dugtrio on your team, because that would obviously be FABtrIO.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Every day when I load my save I'm going to use a Thunder Stone on Mimikyu, just to remind it of its inherent failure

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

oh poo poo this has gotta be it

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Scholtz posted:

Every day when I load my save I'm going to use a Thunder Stone on Mimikyu, just to remind it of its inherent failure

I'm pretty sure Mimikyu doesn't want to be pikachu, it just wants to look cute and make friends. And it's succeeding wildly :colbert:

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I'm stealing this, but TiDALM@STER is really good too.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Hatsunamiku is still the best tho

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Walrus Pete posted:

I'm pretty sure Mimikyu doesn't want to be pikachu, it just wants to look cute and make friends. And it's succeeding wildly :colbert:

Yeah, Mimikyu is basically one personal tragedy away from becoming the Babadook, and like...

:same:

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

Waffles Inc. posted:

what are y'all thinking for Popplio nicknames?

female nicknames are super easy what with all of the sea goddesses and opera singers and pop stars and whatnot

Primerace
or some other smash of the popplio line and Liberace

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Scholtz posted:

These are both wonderful. I'm probably naming mine Amphitrite regardless of gender.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Waffles Inc. posted:

Approval

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Story spoilers, but wondering if someone could answer an end game question.

Or to be more exact, post becoming Champion for the first time. I watched a video where immediately after becoming champ you have to face Tapu Koko. Can you change your team/avoid this/put it off or do you have to face Tapu Koko after becoming champion? If I can't change my team going to have to bring a Synchronize 'mon with me to the league.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
#ShieldsDownForOranguru

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Harlock posted:

People who evolve Pikachu are bad people

mods??

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Waffles Inc. posted:

female nicknames are super easy what with all of the sea goddesses and opera singers and pop stars and whatnot

Wallace.

Tell me that man's not a Primarina in human form.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Went to check and Celesteela doesn't seem to learn any Moon-related moves, bummer.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Waffles Inc. posted:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

WOW RUDE

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Shavings the Popplio is my friend, and we will fight you.

E: kidding im going with the cat, but we'll still fight you

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Waffles Inc. posted:

I've named mine Pohleez

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Crosspeice posted:

I'm surprised people are only using 6 Pokemon. Like the Exp. Share lets you have at least 9 or 12 Pokemon.

I'm gonna roll an Alola VII team and a Alola I team

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
After careful consideration, I like Hatsunamiku the most, and will welcome her to my team with open arms

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Waffles Inc. posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_water_deities#Slavic_mythology

Take your pick. Personally I'm going with Abzu for a male and Undine for a female.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

cheetah7071 posted:

I intend to reset for a female Popplio so I can breed a clutch of eggs and spread the happiness to people who made the wrong choice, so I would like to hear your thoughts on obvious female Popplio nicknames

Can I reserve one of those eggs?

I have to stick to my guns and go with Oliver Queen as my starter.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Fossegrim's also a good one as they were male fiddle playing water spirits who lured in people with their music.

Dave Matthews Big Fan!
Nov 10, 2009

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Story spoilers, but wondering if someone could answer an end game question.

Or to be more exact, post becoming Champion for the first time. I watched a video where immediately after becoming champ you have to face Tapu Koko. Can you change your team/avoid this/put it off or do you have to face Tapu Koko after becoming champion? If I can't change my team going to have to bring a Synchronize 'mon with me to the league.

You can't change teams but you can just kill it and fight it later, it'll have different IVs and nature every time you fight it

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Ein Sexmonster posted:

god drat that one pushes me towards popplio

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
get this: pooplio

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Looking at Toxapec got me excited for anger point gimmicks until I realized that nope anger point gimmicks are still terrible. The best I could come up with was opening with Toxapec using frost breath and a fast switcher that people will want to hit physically with non-fighting moves. Tauros will take the physicals, maybe with a berry if the switcher would predictably get hit by a single type. Congratulations, if you were actually able to get your switch move off and Toxapec didn't get hit by fake out then Tauros might even be out of 1HKO'd by priority range and ready to sweep.

But those ifs are all garbage. And there are more of them hidden in "ready to sweep".

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
it's called Toxapex

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

shame on you goons and your shitposting

I'm going to the pokemon wikia where everyone is friendly and innocent

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Decus posted:

Looking at Toxapec got me excited for anger point gimmicks until I realized that nope anger point gimmicks are still terrible. The best I could come up with was opening with Toxapec using frost breath and a fast switcher that people will want to hit physically with non-fighting moves. Tauros will take the physicals, maybe with a berry if the switcher would predictably get hit by a single type. Congratulations, if you were actually able to get your switch move off and Toxapec didn't get hit by fake out then Tauros might even be out of 1HKO'd by priority range and ready to sweep.

But those ifs are all garbage. And there are more of them hidden in "ready to sweep".

Try thinking of a doubles gimmick. Give Toxapex a Toxic Orb to guarantee crits and then use moves that hit everyone to buff up your partner. Or, better yet, just have someone on your team with Anger Point because Toxapex looks really loving good and we might be seeing a lot of it in the coming weeks

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Try thinking of a doubles gimmick. Give Toxapex a Toxic Orb to guarantee crits and then use moves that hit everyone to buff up your partner. Or, better yet, just have someone on your team with Anger Point because Toxapex looks really loving good and we might be seeing a lot of it in the coming weeks

Uh how would a toxic orb give it crits? 1 its a poison tyoe and 2 the opponent needs to be poisoned for the ability to work.

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Just give its partner pokemon (should be prankster or faster than it) Toxic, then if it learns venoshock, use that. its a big ol' whammy but that's if it can manage to stay alive, like it most doubles.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Zore posted:

Uh how would a toxic orb give it crits? 1 its a poison tyoe and 2 the opponent needs to be poisoned for the ability to work.

Oh, poo poo, I both misunderstood how the skill works and also assumed Gliscor was a poison type because he's the only one I know who uses the self-poison strat. I've been out of the metagame for too long

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Haha wow doubles is such a varied and versatile meta! You can use anything!

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Countblanc posted:

Whenever I watch the Pokemon world championships I can't help but want to join because jesus everyone uses the same six pokemon there's gotta be a meme strat that could beat groudon + kyogre

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Oh, poo poo, I both misunderstood how the skill works and also assumed Gliscor was a poison type because he's the only one I know who uses the self-poison strat. I've been out of the metagame for too long

Nah, that's because of its Poison Heal ability, which wouldn't work at all on Poison types. :v:

Breloom used to use it, but it fell out of favor for Technician, which is a far more effective way to use it.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Whenever I watch the Pokemon world championships I can't help but want to join because jesus everyone uses the same six pokemon there's gotta be a meme strat that could beat groudon + kyogre

the winner was a meme strat to beat kyogre and groudon featuring raichu and hitmontop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Scholtz posted:

:allears: See, goons, this is why I tend to follow these threads. Amazing.

Countblanc posted:

IDK about the Double-Battle community in general, (because I avoid smogon like the plague on humanity that it is) but I always found having multiple options per turn to be far more enjoyable than single battles.