Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

I must admit, I am fond of you humans.

May you enjoy serendipity,

And may the Age of Fire perpetuate.
I'm trying to find a particular mod on the Nexus but it's probably my keywords that aren't doing the trick, maybe you can help me, thread.

I'm just looking for a mod that will make lockpicking/hacking companions keep trying until they succeed instead of making me quickload until they happen to hit on whatever their percentage based chance is.

I remember using a version that just covered Cait a long time ago, it was balanced by the fact that she could potentially use up all your lockpicks to crack a Master lock - that was a good mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Time for my weekly what looks good mod wise on the Nexus post. Later this week I will reformat the list of all my suggestions in the OP and strip away any dead mod stuff in the Google document I posted.

Do you feel that radiation poisoning isn't deadly enough or miss how the older games did it and feel like your vanilla or survival game needs some edge? Classic Radiation Poisoning adds to the current system what you feel was missing and now you can learn to fear and hate the rad geiger counter sound all over again.

Somebody made a really nice and lore friendly laser weapon. Check out the Watzz Electrics Gauss Rifle prototype!

If you really like the formal 1930'/40's/50's style clothing angle in the game another modder is working on that angle and getting into making some detailed looking stuff. Sadly at the moment it seems male focused but maybe he'll expand? if you want to look like a dandy grandad check out 1930's Retro Fashion.

More lore friendly clothing a modder decided to make a concept art outfit from the art book into the thing, the Wasteland Wayfarers Rags outfit look pretty drat good for just well rags. Female characters only.

Remember the old days when the Brotherhood of Steel didn't wear Cheeto orange? I do. Somebody else did and decided to reskin the recon looking flightsuit armor to match that classic colour scheme.

Also are you bothered that the Marine combat armor have no neck guard and fear for your characters fat exposed neck flesh? there is a mod for that. Marine Armor Helmet Neck Cover is pretty self explainatory.

Back when FNV was hot poo poo we got a lot of crazy Radio Stations, some of them novelty but good ones. At last they ported over 8-Bit Hits! listen to a Super Mutant shut in blast video game chipset music from your pipboy once more!

Seen those old electric lines and wish you could use them for your settlement? well now you can with the Access Pre-War Power Lines mod.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Has anyone found a good set of mods that fix most of the banal and boring parts about F4 that made me put it down after the first 4 hours? I'm looking for mainly ease of use mods and anything that streamlines or eliminates the tedium of the settlement management.

I don't want to change to many of the base game settings but I'd prefer if I didn't have to spend so much time hunting for specific parts and flipping the gently caress out because the settlers aren't doing what I need and the loving power lines are a pain in the rear end to set up.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

A good mod would simply be one where all the settlements are already unlocked and have basic stuff down so you can just cherry pick and manage/decorate to your hearts content.

massecurr
Dec 15, 2012
I have no idea what I did but my Fallout 4 no longer starts, it boots me back to launcher before it even attempts to start, I'm not sure if this is a mod issue or a load order issue but I'm fairly certain its mod related as it ran with some mods earlier, heres the load order: http://imgur.com/tHu0Cy2

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

massecurr posted:

I have no idea what I did but my Fallout 4 no longer starts, it boots me back to launcher before it even attempts to start, I'm not sure if this is a mod issue or a load order issue but I'm fairly certain its mod related as it ran with some mods earlier, heres the load order: http://imgur.com/tHu0Cy2

Almost certainly a missing master. Run it through F04edit to see which file is causing you issues.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cross Cybernetics needs an esm that is downloaded separately.

massecurr
Dec 15, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Cross Cybernetics needs an esm that is downloaded separately.

I looked into that and its still not even making it to a black screen

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

massecurr posted:

I looked into that and its still not even making it to a black screen

You 100% have a missing master. NMM should be throwing an error on the mods screen, as should FO4edit.

massecurr
Dec 15, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

You 100% have a missing master. NMM should be throwing an error on the mods screen, as should FO4edit.

Im not seeing anything on FO4edit (admmitedly im not sure how FO4edit works but there should be some sort of error message correct?) and the only errors I'm seeing on the NMM is for some outdated mods

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

concise posted:

Is the OP up to date enough to select mods from? I'm new to the game and looking for essential vanilla+ types of things.
Hey, I haven't added new mods to the OP in a while, but I'm really careful to only put mods on there that are up-to-date and that I've either tested, or checked out enough that I believe they are quality bug-free mods. Vanilla+ is the kinda of thing I was going for instead of quantity.

Perhaps the only thing to note is that a handful of the weapons have been merged here: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/16387/

(post script: that is why I got so triggered by SeanBeans [sorry] because I have read every post in this thread and check literally every new mod added to the nexus, download the ones that seem OP-worthy, and test them myself when Fallout-4 mania hits me every few months)

Pontificating Ass fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Nov 7, 2016

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

massecurr posted:

Im not seeing anything on FO4edit (admmitedly im not sure how FO4edit works but there should be some sort of error message correct?) and the only errors I'm seeing on the NMM is for some outdated mods

Odd, but that's what the crash at launch symbolizes. Go through the list in NMM and see if any mods reference a master file that isn't present in your load order.

Also try disabling parts of your modlist at a time.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
So here is a mod that makes settlement management not quite as repetitive and makes them somewhat self sufficient from the start.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/19577/

It's not completely hands off yet, but the biggest thing it does is make it so all settlements have their food and water needs met already when you take over them.

Since it's the only mod of its kind that I'm aware of, and it gets asked a lot, figured I'd share. Hopefully he keeps developing it.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

pentyne posted:

Has anyone found a good set of mods that fix most of the banal and boring parts about F4 that made me put it down after the first 4 hours? I'm looking for mainly ease of use mods and anything that streamlines or eliminates the tedium of the settlement management.

I don't want to change to many of the base game settings but I'd prefer if I didn't have to spend so much time hunting for specific parts and flipping the gently caress out because the settlers aren't doing what I need and the loving power lines are a pain in the rear end to set up.

Serious post:

Look for Cheat Terminal on the nexus. It gives you a holotape that you can slap right into the ol' Pip-Boy. You can access various cheats including god mode, damage multipliers, and caps. You can also get weapons / ammo. But specifically to your question is that you can also add crafting components on demand. All of this you can do with the console, but if you're doing anything less cheaty than "` tgm [ENTER]" this is just way more convenient than looking up hex codes.

Everything else with settlements can be simplified by simply never turning on a settlement beacon the entire game - seriously.

Good ones for ease of use:

1, 2. easy lockpicking & easy hacking (these are two mods): essentially this saves you bobby pins and lockout time. You still require the relevant perk points for a given lock or terminal difficulty; you just don't have to screw around with the no-penalty guesswork.

3. Faster terminal displays

4. Longer power lines

5, 6. Armorsmith Extended, AWKCR (two mods that go together like PB & J)

7. Improved map with visible roads

8. Unofficial FO4 patch

9. No negative affinity and no affinity cooldown (this totally depends on your mentality towards FO4 as an "RPG")

10. Rich merchants

11. Scrap Everything (just be careful what you point at)

12. Manufacturing Extended - if you use manufacturing *at all,* this is needed

13. Loot Detector - Scrapper perk corpse highlighting (amazing mod)

and that's about it.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

8. Unofficial FO4 patch

Careful using this with mods like Don't Call Me Settler; I lost several hours due to it breaking settler scripts.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
That's a pretty good list.

A few I'd add if you want to go further are

Snap and build.

Uncapped settlement surplus to allow you massive increases in building capacity.

Better Settlers

Scrap dead things (makes a lot of fertiliser from corpses in settlements)

Easy Hacking (if you hate the terminal mini-game)

Companions Infinite Ammo.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
Edit: yay double post

EPIC fat guy vids fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Nov 9, 2016

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Careful using this with mods like Don't Call Me Settler; I lost several hours due to it breaking settler scripts.

Did you hit the bug where you can't assign settlers?

I've had that and not using the unofficial patch. I'm hoping Beth can do something to b0rked save files or I would lose a lot of progress. (They probably won't).

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Did you hit the bug where you can't assign settlers?

Yeah, that and no new settlers arriving at any place with a beacon.
The guy who made Don't Call Me Settler called out the patch as the culprit and uploaded a script fix, but it doesn't seem to work retrospectively.

According to a Unofficial Patch thread that I can't seem to find, the underlying issue was patched out by Bethesda a while ago.
No idea why poo poo like that is still happening.

Detective Buttfuck
Mar 30, 2011

I didn't see anyone post it, looks like F4SE updated

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Oh thank god. I was coming in here to check on that. Hadn't been able to play over the past couple days as I was waiting for them to update that.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Let us see what the Nexus gremlins have done this week shall we?

Another hide your helmet when talking to dudes mod, I think this one does all the work putting it back on when your done with the conversation too.

Somebody reskinned the Vault Security armor to more look more durable in line with the military combat armour than the sports protection look it has in the vanilla game.

The Ghoul Mask from Fallout 3 returns! rad protection and once more you can be friends with Ferals!

Ever felt bad for the Railroad and wanted to spare them from doom in the storyline while working for the Institute? well with this mod that is now possible. Spare the Railroad now.

For those who like weird gimmick characters somebody had made a male Arnie face preset so now you too can drive Diamond City into debtors prison.

O.U.C.H is an interesting one that adds a visual effect to being shot with several levels that can be tweaked for player comfort. Perfect for the Survival Mode playthrough.

And finally somebody has made a series of Forsaken Institute Lady Assassin Outfits if that is your thing.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

Ever felt bad for the Railroad and wanted to spare them from doom in the storyline while working for the Institute?

no

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

Serious post:

Look for Cheat Terminal on the nexus. It gives you a holotape that you can slap right into the ol' Pip-Boy. You can access various cheats including god mode, damage multipliers, and caps. You can also get weapons / ammo. But specifically to your question is that you can also add crafting components on demand. All of this you can do with the console, but if you're doing anything less cheaty than "` tgm [ENTER]" this is just way more convenient than looking up hex codes.

Everything else with settlements can be simplified by simply never turning on a settlement beacon the entire game - seriously.

Good ones for ease of use:

1, 2. easy lockpicking & easy hacking (these are two mods): essentially this saves you bobby pins and lockout time. You still require the relevant perk points for a given lock or terminal difficulty; you just don't have to screw around with the no-penalty guesswork.

3. Faster terminal displays

4. Longer power lines

5, 6. Armorsmith Extended, AWKCR (two mods that go together like PB & J)

7. Improved map with visible roads

8. Unofficial FO4 patch

9. No negative affinity and no affinity cooldown (this totally depends on your mentality towards FO4 as an "RPG")

10. Rich merchants

11. Scrap Everything (just be careful what you point at)

12. Manufacturing Extended - if you use manufacturing *at all,* this is needed

13. Loot Detector - Scrapper perk corpse highlighting (amazing mod)

and that's about it.

Tgm gives you infinite resources for settlement building fyi.
I find using this allows me to a)build enjoyable settlements and b) gather enough scrap so that I can upgrade my gear, but not enough so i can constantly upgrade everything.
This means i get cool settlements filled with mannequins dressed like vault dwellers while also getting the minor enjoyment of finding a stash of aluminum cans.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
I always felt it was a little dumb to wipe out the Railroad. Synths will escape, it's better to know where they are going than not.

Occasionally send out a Courser to scoop one back up, but other than that ignore it.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Yeah, but the institute are textbook 'spergs : teleportation, we can do that, build machines that emulate humans almost perfectly, we can do that, interacting with anything non-institute, TTTTT Triggered.
when actually, the first two can make the last one a peice of cake.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Sorus posted:

I always felt it was a little dumb to wipe out the Railroad. Synths will escape, it's better to know where they are going than not.

Occasionally send out a Courser to scoop one back up, but other than that ignore it.

Wouldn't it make sense to replace all the Railroad members with Synths?
You can even keep recruiting. Just the new members get taken into the headquarters for the first time, murdered, and replaced with a synth.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
Yeah.

I mean I'm pretty sure I saw something like this in one of the various dystopian sci-fi future things where the rebels are thoroughly infiltrated from the top down and they're basically kept around as a pressure valve.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Wrong thread, sorry. (The previous thing I edited away)

But I will ask my previous question again. Is there a way to enable artillery without doing the appropriate missions? TLC in and picking up the blueprint doesn't work, setting quest stage doesn't work.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

staberind posted:

Yeah, but the institute are textbook 'spergs : teleportation, we can do that, build machines that emulate humans almost perfectly, we can do that, interacting with anything non-institute, TTTTT Triggered.
when actually, the first two can make the last one a peice of cake.

They tried to work with the outside world before but it utterly failed due to rampant paranoia among all sides.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Is the OP up to date as far as good mods? Probably going to install this again. Also are any of the DLCs good?

beyonder
Jun 23, 2007
Beyond hardcore.
I've been plagued with very random CTDs, can happen whenever wherever. Trotting from A to B and pop, going from indoors to outdoors and vice versa etc so I can't pinpoint it. Can anyone spot anything funky or a mod that could cause it in the load order?

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

beyonder posted:

I've been plagued with very random CTDs, can happen whenever wherever. Trotting from A to B and pop, going from indoors to outdoors and vice versa etc so I can't pinpoint it. Can anyone spot anything funky or a mod that could cause it in the load order?

Do you have any overclocks or voltage changes to your GPU? I had an undervolt which caused odd crashes. Backing off a bit fixed it for me.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I get crashes from time to time, and my load order is pretty much just the full dialogue interface, unofficial patch. achievements plus a few outfit mods. It's probably just the game being buggy.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The last time I played was before any DLC or construction kit came out, are there any good gun/enemy/settlement/skill/general gameplay overhauls that are worth looking into for a new playthrough that have come out ever since the construction kit was made available?

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Segmentation Fault posted:

They tried to work with the outside world before but it utterly failed due to rampant paranoia among all sides.

Yeah, I recall that, I dont really get why they (institute) did not just say "Look, we are super advanced and can crush you like insects, but why should we? you guys do your thing and we will do ours"...?

beyonder
Jun 23, 2007
Beyond hardcore.

B-Mac posted:

Do you have any overclocks or voltage changes to your GPU? I had an undervolt which caused odd crashes. Backing off a bit fixed it for me.

Nope no OCed anything or weird voltages. Other games run just fine for hours, so does vanilla FO4 making mods the suspect. Just can't pinpoint which one.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

staberind posted:

Yeah, I recall that, I dont really get why they (institute) did not just say "Look, we are super advanced and can crush you like insects, but why should we? you guys do your thing and we will do ours"...?

I think that's basically how they wanted to approach things, but then synths started escaping and they had to send out coursers to scoop up their property, and the railroad got involved.

I want to point out that the head of Robotics in the institute was openly considering the idea that gen 3 synths were real people and that Bethesda missed a huge opportunity with letting the player control the Institute but make them pro-synth freedom.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Segmentation Fault posted:

I think that's basically how they wanted to approach things, but then synths started escaping and they had to send out coursers to scoop up their property, and the railroad got involved.

I want to point out that the head of Robotics in the institute was openly considering the idea that gen 3 synths were real people and that Bethesda missed a huge opportunity with letting the player control the Institute but make them pro-synth freedom.

Yeah, but bethesda is not obsidian, nor did they learn anything from the popularity of NV.
there's a point in practically all beth's games where you slide along on rails to the inevitable conclusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

beyonder posted:

Can't say I spot anything particular, personally I run 255+ mods and rarely crash. If you are looking to troubleshoot crashing problems, the process I would use is something like this:

First, try to remember when the crashes started, sort your mods by date, and see if any recent mods seem problematic or just remove recently added mods. Also check the date on mods to see if any are particularly out-of-date and should be updated.
Second, temporarily uninstall any mods that have an effect that is more likely to cause crashes than others. For instance, uninstall True Storms and its patches since they can activate at any time. Mods that to enemy levelled lists are worth checking, and any mods that rely on scripting.
Third, temporarily uninstall huge chunks or your mod list, like 1/4 of your mod list, and go test your game. You can leave on mods that won't cause crashes (like 20x terminal display or hush_dogmeat are in no way going to cause random crashes). If there are still crashes, uninstall more mods, if the crashes have stopped, narrow down the mods you uninstalled to try to figure out which was causing crashes.