Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I still swear by this. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drum-practice-pads/remo-practice-pad/442966

put it on a table, chair, couch, toilet lid, car seat, etc. Hell, back in the the day I used to use to mount and attach triggers to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

AARO posted:

Listening to the new radiohead album I realized that even their worst songs ever are better than the best songs I've released and that bummed me out a bit. I'm probably never going to "make it" in music. Here's a link to my most recent song. The first song I've recorded since AMSP. Somebody in GBS said "Nice Radiohead cover OP." As if they are the only band on earth who is allowed to make that style of music. Think of all the bands that exist that influence eachother and sound like eachother. Especially older stuff like 60s music there used to be tons of bands that sounded almost identical on certain tracks.

I guess what I'm saying is, can't I release songs that "sound like Radiohead" without that being some kind of bad thing? And if they really do sound like them, why doesn't anyone give a poo poo about them? Seriously I've only had 1 person buy my music and write to me telling me they love it. Everyone else just listens to it and says "Meh".

I guess I just really wish I could write a song that other people love as much as I do. But so far I haven't been able to do that. I think a big problem is I need a talented drummer to work with. The drums I make myself with machines are boring poo poo. They make the songs sound boring. I wish I could work with someone who could come up with incredible syncopated beats that would just make the songs excellent. Drummers are the most underrated part of bands. I can play every other instrument but without a good drummer I'm just not able to ever get the sound that I'm looking for.

AARO posted:

You praise the status quo at every opportunity. Any original thought is called fake posting. It's weak minded reactionary bullshit to psychopaths on the Internet. Because My Little Pony and vor freaks exist on the internet anything original said is to be ridiculed and taunted. You found a little box to put your brain in. Reactionary book-burning anti-intellectualism. Totally boring we all agree with each other parrots.

You don't have anything to say that matters.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

heh

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

Built this and used it this past weekend. Worked great. Cost about $200 in material and only took a couple of evenings to build. There's a black skirt that goes around the bottom to hide the buckets.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Is that for isolation or a stage riser?

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

Stage riser. It's 7'x6.5' and sits 15" high.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Cool, I built something similar but instead of buckets there are a few dozen halved tennisballs. Stops any stomping noise going through my wooden floors into adjoining rooms.

edit: image isn't embedding on my end for whatever reason, pic is here https://imgur.com/a/M9Ufv

Gym Leader Barack fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Aug 14, 2016

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

Nice! Luckily I've never had to worry about pissing off the neighbors.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

I didn't know the egyptian dude from Mr. Robot was a musician.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Hey folks! Been a while. I'm selling some drum stuff! Crosspost from S-Mart:

FOR SALE: Cleaning out the studio, if anyone is interested in any of this stuff hit me up and we can avoid ebay fees:

13"x6.5" Snare Drum - Yamaha Steve Jordan model, with hard case
    Trick Pro 1v Kick Pedal
    DW5000 double kick pedal, single chain drive
    DW5000 hihat stand, two leg version
    Zildjian Gen16 silent cymbals with brain - 14/16/18/20
    Roland PD100 single zone and PD120 dual zone vdrums (one each)
    Roland KD7 kick trigger
    Roland PD5 drum pads (2)
    Roland TD10 v-drum module
    Roland TD8 v-drum module
    Zildjian 14" hi-hats - z custom top, a custom bottom
    DJ Tech Tools MIDI Fighter
    Behringer FCB1010 MIDI foot controller

Check out my ebay page for current pricing and hit me up if you want to make an offer.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

RivensBitch posted:

Hey folks! Been a while. I'm selling some drum stuff! Crosspost from S-Mart:

Zildjian 14" hi-hats - z custom top, a custom bottom

So this was only ~ a month ago but what do those Z/A hi hats sound like and do you even still have them and how much?
And/or how much for the PD120 and PD100 - your ebay page is dead.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

All sold!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
You guys got any good recommendations on drummers to check out on youtube? So far I've been watching a lot of tech death dudes playing but would love literally any well made recommendation to crib fill ideas and neat drum tricks from.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
One of my all-time favorite drum covers came from mikeglozier. His cover of Andromeda & the Milky Way is also pretty incredible.

Actually, go ahead and watch every video on the channel. He's only uploaded five videos in total, and they are all fantastic.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

I was just at Drummerfest in New Berlin, WI. Shannon Forrest, Jimmy Chamberlin, Gorden Campbell, and Matt Garstka. It was amazing and I'll have audio of each of their masterclasses/performances in a few days.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

You guys got any good recommendations on drummers to check out on youtube? So far I've been watching a lot of tech death dudes playing but would love literally any well made recommendation to crib fill ideas and neat drum tricks from.

Not only are Pink Floyd drums criminally underrated, but this is one of the most technically impressive covers I've ever seen on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmTZHJ1cMPE

Oh noooooooo it looks like he got copyright smacked and had to pull the version that had the full song playing underneath. I was able to get pretty close with this Youtube Doubler, you can fine tune it to get it a bit better. There's some really creative fills in this song, and a bloody ton of them, at least listen to the first 5 minutes for a lot of simple yet varied fill ideas :350:

edit:

Tatumje posted:

One of my all-time favorite drum covers came from mikeglozier. His cover of Andromeda & the Milky Way is also pretty incredible.

Actually, go ahead and watch every video on the channel. He's only uploaded five videos in total, and they are all fantastic.

Wow opposite end of the spectrum here. Also gently caress people who can consistently hit rim shots :mad: I'm trying to use them for accents in a Halloween drum cover I'm working on and I've pretty much decided that I'm just going to have to sample myself and lay the sound of a decent hit in over my own audio cuz I ain't hittin' those things live :(

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 29, 2016

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of, happy Halloween Drum Thread :spooky:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-wRS7Zc5_k

I kind of pussied out for the solo, those should really be 8th notes on the tambourine but I wasn't confident I'd be able to learn that and still have things ready to post by today. Maybe I'll do a more accurate 2.0 for next year.

p.s. Don't try and read my shirt at the end :devil:

CARRIERHASARRIVED
Aug 25, 2010

So I punched through the approximately 30 year old head on my bass drum with my pedal's beater. Anyone have personal favorite brands or styles for bass drum heads they can recommend? I'll need to measure it to be sure but I'm pretty sure I've got a 22" bass, if that matters.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
I'm lazy and just use a Evans EMAD2 most cases, the dampening is p good on that.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah AFAIK your bass drum heads are less important that what's on your snare/toms because you don't usually tune it to an actual note. You don't need as much precision/quality to produce a decent low frequency THUMP.

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

Same here. I use an EMAD2 and have never had a problem.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
I usually use the regular EMAD - the EMAD 2 is a little too thick and clunky for my tastes but that's totally just personal preference.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've been trying to transcribe the bass drum rhythms of some old 70's stuff like Black Sabbath and the Ramones and I've come to the conclusion that every rock drummer alive in that era was coked out of their mind 24/7/365.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Now go try and do some 'Oldies' music from the '60s and realize even nondescript guys like the drummers for the Zombies or the Monkees were loving monsters by modern standards. Can we lay off the one-handed 16th notes guys? No? OK :smith:

edit:
I mean just look at this bullshit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A-4VGfx5lU

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 1, 2016

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Takes No Damage posted:

Now go try and do some 'Oldies' music from the '60s and realize even nondescript guys like the drummers for the Zombies or the Monkees were loving monsters by modern standards. Can we lay off the one-handed 16th notes guys? No? OK :smith:

edit:

Not taking away from Hugh Grundy, but albums like the Monkees had Hal Blaine, Jim Gordon, or Earl Palmer playing for the studio recordings.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Takes No Damage posted:

and realize even nondescript guys like the drummers for the Zombies or the Monkees

Yes.... those :airquote:nondescript guys:airquote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wrecking_Crew_(music) :v:

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Takes No Damage posted:

edit:

Moeller technique for daaaaays

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Jazz Marimba posted:

Moeller technique for daaaaays

Eeeyuuuuup.
Makes doing it for longer tunes easy as heck.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Actually, on sixteenth notes, I feel I have pretty good technique but this guy makes me feel like a beginner...what's he doing that he can play constant sixteenths for that long? I feel I'm almost there, but there's some minutiae I'm missing.

First song, "Come Down"
https://youtu.be/ferZnZ0_rSM

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Is there something like justinguitar but for drums? Lessons with a very clear structure and progress path? I'm willing to pay for it so it doesnt have to be free like justinguitar.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Well, nondescript as in most people wouldn't be able to name them unless you'd specifically studied that band/drummer. Like I couldn't tell you who the drummer for Blondie was until I tried to learn Call Me and discovered that he's an evil man who hates beginner/intermediate drummers with the burning passion of one thousand suns. 8th notes in 6/8 with a bunch of poly-rhythmic hihat accents and swung sextuplets, for 8 minutes :gonk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m95Iv8UfvhM
What's that you say? Your right leg wants to take a break? gently caress you

Also stuff like Chamberlain from Smashing Pumpkins. 90s Grunge? Pfft yea I got this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3nO33J_3lY&t=6s
:catstare:

:smithicide:

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

Takes No Damage posted:

Well, nondescript as in most people wouldn't be able to name them unless you'd specifically studied that band/drummer. Like I couldn't tell you who the drummer for Blondie was until I tried to learn Call Me and discovered that he's an evil man who hates beginner/intermediate drummers with the burning passion of one thousand suns. 8th notes in 6/8 with a bunch of poly-rhythmic hihat accents and swung sextuplets, for 8 minutes :gonk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m95Iv8UfvhM
What's that you say? Your right leg wants to take a break? gently caress you

Also stuff like Chamberlain from Smashing Pumpkins. 90s Grunge? Pfft yea I got this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3nO33J_3lY&t=6s
:catstare:

:smithicide:

I neglected my left foot for years so now double bass is my SEVERE weakness. Most of what I play doesn't really call for it but I would love to play Hot for Teacher. My left foot just can't keep up.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
There's less than you think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHwhQs0Dozk

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

No, that's exactly what I'm referring to. My pathetic left foot cant keep that shuffle pattern going through the whole song. It's just a matter of practice but it irritates me that I haven't practiced more double bass over the yers.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Ahhh, really? My bad my dumb brain/feet always found that to be the easier part of that song. Me and my old guitar player used to do the intro of that song sometimes when the other ½ of the band was tuning. We had no idea we both knew it until one of us started dicking around during sound check one night. :v:

That beat just feels like a goofy, galloping horse to me.

Double Bass
Feb 20, 2011
Does anyone have any experience using direct drive pedals that aren't Axis? I'm using Mapex Raptors and they suck hard. I'm used to the feel of direct drives now but I really don't want to shell out $600+ for Axis.

Double Bass fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Dec 14, 2016

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Double Bass posted:

Does anyone have any experience using direct drive pedals that aren't Axis? I'm using Mapex Raptors and they suck hard. I'm used to the feel of direct drives now but I really don't want to shell out $600+ for Axis.

A couple of my friends have the Pearl Demon Drives and see no need to upgrade further. They seem great from the limited access Ive had with them.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Ugh I'm not even doing the Be-In-A-Band thing anymore and I'm still buying drums wtf am I doing thread?!? I think I already have plenty. :smithicide:

Nebraska Tim
Feb 2, 2010
Any recommendations on double bass pedals for under 200? I've got a set of DW 7000s in my sights for $150 used, but I have no idea what I'm doing. :downsrim:

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Nebraska Tim posted:

Any recommendations on double bass pedals for under 200? I've got a set of DW 7000s in my sights for $150 used, but I have no idea what I'm doing. :downsrim:

I have pearl eliminators and they are the best, I've stuck to the blue cams but the others offer different responses so it's pretty likely you'll find something you like, they should be close to the price you want to pay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebraska Tim
Feb 2, 2010

Gym Leader Barack posted:

I have pearl eliminators and they are the best, I've stuck to the blue cams but the others offer different responses so it's pretty likely you'll find something you like, they should be close to the price you want to pay

Still getting used to having rubber grips, but these were a good buy. Thanks the advice!