Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I imagine that especially now that they are doing the dub of Super, at this point a Buu Kai dub is just quietly not going to happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
They already talked about being in the studio for it months ago. I dont think they would just scrap it for no reason.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Augus posted:

What's the deal with an English release for DBKai Buu Saga anyway? I remember them saying that it was gonna get an English release first, but it's now MIA while the Japanese version is done already.

On a released note, did Funimation ever release an "English dub, Japanese music" version of the original DBZ?

I'm definitely not asking these questions for Vegito-related reasons, no sir.

I'm pretty sure any of their recent DVD/Blu-ray releases of DBZ is tri-audio, with Japanese, English w/ dub music, and English w/ Japanese music. Their version of the Dragon Box releases just had Japanese and English w/ Japanese music.

Kai Buu is interesting, because it was originally produced for international release and wasn't going to air in Japan at all. Then it didn't get released in English at all and eventually aired in Japan (with additional cuts to shorten the episode count further). I think one of the reasons Funimation might have held off was for their dumb cropped DBZ Blu-ray releases.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Is there some weird licensing drama going on with Toei behind the scenes or something? Even for Crunchyroll to get Super took a really long time, and it crashed their servers when it went up because demand was so high.

Squall posted:

I'm pretty sure any of their recent DVD/Blu-ray releases of DBZ is tri-audio, with Japanese, English w/ dub music, and English w/ Japanese music. Their version of the Dragon Box releases just had Japanese and English w/ Japanese music.

That's nice, the Falcouner tracks have their moments here and there but Kikuchi can't be beat.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I listened to a podcast that had a former employee of Funimation and they were apparently not allowed to mention any notice of Dragonball Super. Like it never exists (this was a few months ago). Definitely some weird thing if lower-level editors were banned from acknowledging it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Negotiations with Toei were probably a bitch

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Watching old clips of the Buu saga 'cause you guys have brought it up, and drat does the DBZ aesthetic completely dunk on Super's, even if the animation itself has improved by leaps and bounds. It's the digital coloring that loving sucks.

Spidder
Jan 9, 2005

Dexo posted:

Negotiations with Toei were probably a bitch

Why is Toei like that? Why can't they be normal business people?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Spidder posted:

Why can't they be normal business people?

:japan:

Spidder
Jan 9, 2005
I mean how do you gently caress this up? They have the rights to produce the most beloved cartoons in the world (One Piece & Dragon Ball) literally ANYBODY could make more money than god in that situation.

- Why don't they hire the best animators?
- Why dont' they market their poo poo correctly?
- How do they gently caress up licensing?

Wtf is wrong with them?

Only thing I can think of is that some japanese CEO is a freak mutant that is completely immune to the effects of coke unless he snorts like Y 1.000.000 of it at a time? What else could it be?

Spidder fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 15, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spidder posted:

Because there is literally no need to do so. Higher quality animation doesn't significantly grow your target audience while drastically increasing production time and cost. Focusing on brief spurts of high-quality animation for significant scenes or episodes is more effective at a drastically reduced cost. Nobody, no matter how popular, gets top-of-the-line animation 24/7.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

ImpAtom posted:

Because there is literally no need to do so. Higher quality animation doesn't significantly grow your target audience while drastically increasing production time and cost. Focusing on brief spurts of high-quality animation for significant scenes or episodes is more effective at a drastically reduced cost. Nobody, no matter how popular, gets top-of-the-line animation 24/7.

...My Hero Academy, One-Punch Man and Mob Psycho 100.

Then again, those are all series that take significant breaks between seasons.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
You also have a really weird idea that they aren't making a ton of money off Super.

Reinanigans posted:

All three of those shows still have some rough-rear end bits or places where corners were obviously cut

Spidder
Jan 9, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

That is only true for 10 year olds who don't know any better watching the show on TV though? BR sales would skyrocket if they hired someone competent to animate it... Is japanese TV making THAT much more money than global BR sales? It doesn't make sense.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

If it isn't non-Sailor Moon magical girls fighting, they don't give up the good teams.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Spidder posted:

That is only true for 10 year olds who don't know any better watching the show on TV though? BR sales would skyrocket if they hired someone competent to animate it... Is japanese TV making THAT much more money than global BR sales? It doesn't make sense.

there's absolutely no evidence any of that is true

Spidder
Jan 9, 2005

Rudoku posted:

If it isn't non-Sailor Moon magical girls fighting, they don't give up the good teams.

quote:

there's absolutely no evidence any of that is true

Madhouse exists, though...

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Only the most hardcore otaku buy anime BluRays in Japan because they're obscenely expensive over there. I'm not sure if that means TV makes them more or less money than BluRays, but I'd imagine TV makes more overall.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
You're comparing 12 episode series made for a niche audience with an as-of-now 60 episode series (that'll probably go past 100) that has to make deadlines every week, with an audience that either doesn't care or will watch it regardless of animation quality. Plus, Toei makes money off merchandising sales, not BR sales - which as far as I'm aware are basically a way to fleece stupid otakus in Japan. Like every other cartoon that was made to sell toys, there's little incentive to doing much more than the bare minimum so kids can watch it and ask for a Goku toy.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Toei cuts thousands of animation corners on even "literally bigger than Mickey Mouse in Japan" One Piece, expecting them to devote more underpaid animators to things is a bit much.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I wouldn't call MHA a niche audience

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Reinanigans posted:

Those shows are also significantly shorter and have plenty of rough spots too.

The anime is not the primary money maker for most things. It's the tie-in merch.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I'm mostly agreeing with you guys. I don't expect DBS to ever reach the quality of those shows, specifically because they have breaks between seasons, therefore much longer to work on individual episodes. But those three shows I mentioned have mostly excellent animation every episode.

But yes, it's apples and oranges. DBS's animation isn't really an issue any more, especially compared to the first few episodes. I'm still not a fan of the digital coloring, though.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Also OPM is a massive labour of love on the part of the animators who put in a lot of (likely unpaid) overtime

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Also, a lot of the animators working on Dragon ball Super are junior animators being given a shot at the big leagues, with the professionals trying to guide them and ease up the roughness. They are training new talent to get good at the same time as they are trying to push this thing to TV every week.

It can't feel too good to go online and read internationally they are mocking the part of the animation you were given responsibility for and poured all your hard work into, but you just couldn't hack it in time.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Spidder posted:

I mean how do you gently caress this up? They have the rights to produce the most beloved cartoons in the world (One Piece & Dragon Ball) literally ANYBODY could make more money than god in that situation.

Because they're making quite literally hundreds of episodes, with one coming out a week, with lots of busy schedules being juggled and animators who are jumping between several different series at once, with no breaks between seasons, with new talent being trained on the fly, with only so much money to throw around at once. A weekly shounen series is always gonna be on crunch time, so making cuts in places where they can is an inevitability.

Reinanigans posted:

Watching old clips of the Buu saga 'cause you guys have brought it up, and drat does the DBZ aesthetic completely dunk on Super's, even if the animation itself has improved by leaps and bounds. It's the digital coloring that loving sucks.

Fights like Goku vs Majin Vegeta are hard to beat, there was some gorgeous animation at points in the series. I definitely prefer the shading and flowing motion that those episodes had over Super's style overall, but both have ugly pitfalls that they've fallen into for sure.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

TheKingofSprings posted:

Also OPM is a massive labour of love on the part of the animators who put in a lot of (likely unpaid) overtime

This. OPM's animation is magic and passion stretched across an average or (according to some, possibly) below average budget.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
I don't understand why they don't take like the 30 survivors of The Future and take them back into the non-post-apocalpytic past.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

dipwood posted:

I don't understand why they don't take like the 30 survivors of The Future and take them back into the non-post-apocalpytic past.

I'm pretty sure Beerus would just destroy them the moment he sees them because they're time anomalies and therefore a crime against the gods.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Leaving Zamasu unresolved also is exactly the kind of thing that'd come back to bite you directly in the rear end. I mean at bare loving minimum he's gonna kill all the mortals on every other planet. That'd really suck for Future Dende and pals.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'm pretty sure Beerus would just destroy them the moment he sees them because they're time anomalies and therefore a crime against the gods.

Bribe him with some roti parts or whatever and we're good.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

dipwood posted:

I'm holding out hope they will fix the future with the Super Dragonballs. Also, cool Future Gohan will get his arm back, and he will join the Super Friends.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

When I was playing as a Namekian in Xenoverse 2, there was a part where you go to the future with Trunks to fight Cell and Cell was like "you brought a Namekian with you from the past? Oh, is that your plan? Make more dragonballs? Hilarious!" and now all i can think about is how they should really just borrow Dende for like an hour or two and do that, then fix up the future all nice with a wish or two, since the time machine fuel is so easy to make

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kelp Plankton posted:

When I was playing as a Namekian in Xenoverse 2, there was a part where you go to the future with Trunks to fight Cell and Cell was like "you brought a Namekian with you from the past? Oh, is that your plan? Make more dragonballs? Hilarious!" and now all i can think about is how they should really just borrow Dende for like an hour or two and do that, then fix up the future all nice with a wish or two, since the time machine fuel is so easy to make

Honestly just have Goku go there, teleport to Namek, grab Dende and bring him to Earth. Problem solved. Like a five minute trip.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

When Black and Zamasu were going on about there being no more Dragon Balls in the Future Timeline, I thought it was implied that they had killed the Future Namekians too. Is that not the case?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Raxivace posted:

When Black and Zamasu were going on about there being no more Dragon Balls in the Future Timeline, I thought it was implied that they had killed the Future Namekians too. Is that not the case?

I assumed they were referring to the human ones but honestly that's a pretty legitimate reading.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
given that kaioshin are the only beings in the universe that can just instantly teleport over any distance with zero drawbacks I would not be surprised if he popped over to New Namek and nuked the place first thing

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I know this isn't the place, but is there somewhere to read the original OPM online? Didn't it start as a really long-running web comic or something?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Black and Zamasu did mention going on a killing spree where he took out the Supreme Kais and Gods of Destruction of every universe along with multiple planets.

I would assume given it's called "the zero mortals plan" it included Namek, given there are mortals there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
What if they just brought the Past-Earth Dragonballs along with them in the time machine? Then they could revive Piccolo/Kami and Trunks can fix the rest of the universe from there.

• Locked thread