Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Trasson posted:

No, it's legitimately worse here. The more recent books were like a twenty something odd season with a bunch of filler episodes and five or six actual plot episodes distributed thereout. Shadow of Victory is like that, but the five plot episodes are now the previous season's filler, and the old filler episodes are just the Star Wars Holiday Special from different angles over and over.

Cranking out literary garbage while on week long speed benders is a kind of life but not one I'm sure I'd like to live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I'm still reading it but 45% in and it's definitely 1 star. Whole crapload of new characters who I couldn't care less about, talking to each other about exactly the same crap over and over again.

Same. Well, maybe 2 stars because I can think of stuff that I would want to be able to rate under Shadow of Victory, but not much. It feels like a compilation of subplots and scenes that were cut from the original telling of this story. And probably cut because they don't actually add anything; it basically comes down to "same problem, same build-up, just different planets."

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Washout posted:

Cranking out literary garbage while on week long speed benders is a kind of life but not one I'm sure I'd like to live.
Weber and Dick have something in common?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

So I've been listening to the Honor books on CD, and its clicked what pisses me of about the series. It's not just that Honor's a Mary Sue of the first order. I mean yes, it does bug me that she's simultaneously a natural shot, a record setting pilot, a master swordswoman, and a natural tactician and strategist able to win the loyalty of even the most hard bitten of crews. All of that is bad enough.

No, what's really getting on my nerves as I trudge through "Echoes of Honor" is how much everyone in the loving universe loves and/or respects Honor loving Harrington. Everyone knows she's the hottest poo poo in the galaxy, and that would be bad enough too but they SAY so all the loving time. Not a single internal monologue goes by without someone referencing how awesome Honor did something or how she's a example to all space navies, or how if Honor does it its the right way to do it, and on and on and on. The only exceptions are the people who hate her who, nearly universally, are portrayed as the worst humanity has to offer. To not love Honor Harrington is to be a sadist, pedophile, or coward, and often more than one of these things.

Its getting to the point that I'm yelling "Oh gently caress OFF!" at my car's CD player when yet another character fawns over how great HH is. :argh:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
And somehow he's still better than Kevin J. Anderson.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
The Honorverse readers are engaged in a real life 50 Shades of Grey relationship with that series.

:laugh:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

jng2058 posted:

So I've been listening to the Honor books on CD, and its clicked what pisses me of about the series. It's not just that Honor's a Mary Sue of the first order. I mean yes, it does bug me that she's simultaneously a natural shot, a record setting pilot, a master swordswoman, and a natural tactician and strategist able to win the loyalty of even the most hard bitten of crews. All of that is bad enough.

No, what's really getting on my nerves as I trudge through "Echoes of Honor" is how much everyone in the loving universe loves and/or respects Honor loving Harrington. Everyone knows she's the hottest poo poo in the galaxy, and that would be bad enough too but they SAY so all the loving time. Not a single internal monologue goes by without someone referencing how awesome Honor did something or how she's a example to all space navies, or how if Honor does it its the right way to do it, and on and on and on. The only exceptions are the people who hate her who, nearly universally, are portrayed as the worst humanity has to offer. To not love Honor Harrington is to be a sadist, pedophile, or coward, and often more than one of these things.

Its getting to the point that I'm yelling "Oh gently caress OFF!" at my car's CD player when yet another character fawns over how great HH is. :argh:

It's not just Honor, every protagonist-character somehow always has the best grades in everything or are masters in their given field and Weber is telling us all about it in great detail. That one guy who was secretly a master hacker in one of the earlier books was Weber at his most restraint. In the later books it gets worse and worse until Honor ceases to look like a Mary Sue just because most of the people around her are also the manifestation of pure awesomeness.

Chances are, when Weber introduces a new character and it's a good guy, he will spend a paragraph or two telling us about how Mr. Super-Good was at the top of his class, is seen as brilliant in X and awesome in Y until your eyes fall out because of all that rolling they'll do.

Edit:

In the beginning Honor sometimes mentioned how she felt she was bad at astro navigation and nearly failed out of the academy because of this. Somehow this and other weaknesses either never become relevant, or are forgotten throughout the series.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Nov 6, 2016

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I read so many mediocre to bad SF space operas over last summer - it's such a welcome change from my academic reading lists during the semester.

Is there any good naval SF which does not involve an alien race/splinter empire that destroys/threatens Terra and the only hope being an unlikely captain who may or may not be an alcoholic or in love with his XO, commanding an old (but hardy) ship with a crew of misfits (who all have a heart of gold, except for one bad apple) ?

By band 2 the main character has fought several battles which he won, despite being badly outnumbered. A semi-important side character and friend usually died by then and there's the obligatory 5th column among the fleet (or politicians) trying to sabotage the hero.

Recent reading list:

The Ember War (some cliche, but a couple of surprising turns and likable characters - the best read of the bunch)
Castle Federation saga (okish, but way too many Deus ex Machina moments)
A Hymn before Battle (ugh...just ugh...it's one of the series which adds the shape and form of their breasts to the description of female characters).
Frontlines series (not insultingly bad, but not outstanding in any way)
Terran Fleet Command saga (first 2 books were decent naval SF, but book 3 was terrible babble and it was obvious the author just wanted to fill pages with letters)
Galactic Empire Wars saga (strong first book, drops off later on)
Lost Colonies Trilogy (a few interesting ideas, but characters you want to drop into a black hole)

So I realize that most of this is trash, but I enjoy stuff like this on rainy days and save my Heinlein and Scalzi novels for the beach. But is there anything which is not quite that terrible but still has plenty of fleet action and laser pew-pew ?

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 6, 2016

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hammerstein posted:

So I realize that most of this is trash, but I enjoy stuff like this on rainy days and save my Heinlein and Scalzi novels for the beach. But is there anything which is not quite that terrible but still has plenty of fleet action and laser pew-pew ?

I'm so sorry, this is going to fit most of the tropes you just described, but I really enjoyed this series of decent-if-not-great space opera: The Lost Fleet by Jack Campbell. The main hero is a little bit of a gary stu, but in this indulgent way where he wins fights by using actual strategy and teamwork with methods that have in-universe been killed out of the current generation of spacers due to everlasting war (TM). If you like the first book, the next five are more of the same, and the sequels after that go into some interesting directions with other factions and stuff.

I don't have anything else to read as the only other sci-fi I've been reading lately is CJ Cherryh and while she does fantastic starship battles there's usually only one or two per book and they're very small-scale engagements.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Hah, I actually thought he was describing The Lost Fleet at first.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009
Lost Fleet is formula, but it's good formula.

Drake's "Leary" series is pretty good ongoing space-adventure stuff. Drake tends to lock the camera pretty hard on the main characters (to the point where the galactic war ends between books and we only hear that because of the characters bitching that they can't find jobs without a war to fight in) but they're good books with plenty of action.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Miss-Bomarc posted:

Lost Fleet is formula, but it's good formula.

Drake's "Leary" series is pretty good ongoing space-adventure stuff. Drake tends to lock the camera pretty hard on the main characters (to the point where the galactic war ends between books and we only hear that because of the characters bitching that they can't find jobs without a war to fight in) but they're good books with plenty of action.

Seconding this, the "Leary"-series had space battles actually feel like space battles. The books feel also a lot more human and less sterile than other military SF, if that makes sense.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
The first book for Leary is also free on Kindle so it should be worth checking out (which I will do promptly) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B4HAI2I/ref=series_rw_dp_sw

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Hammerstein posted:

I read so many mediocre to bad SF space operas over last summer - it's such a welcome change from my academic reading lists during the semester.

Is there any good naval SF which does not involve an alien race/splinter empire that destroys/threatens Terra and the only hope being an unlikely captain who may or may not be an alcoholic or in love with his XO, commanding an old (but hardy) ship with a crew of misfits (who all have a heart of gold, except for one bad apple) ?

By band 2 the main character has fought several battles which he won, despite being badly outnumbered. A semi-important side character and friend usually died by then and there's the obligatory 5th column among the fleet (or politicians) trying to sabotage the hero.

Recent reading list:

The Ember War (some cliche, but a couple of surprising turns and likable characters - the best read of the bunch)
Castle Federation saga (okish, but way too many Deus ex Machina moments)
A Hymn before Battle (ugh...just ugh...it's one of the series which adds the shape and form of their breasts to the description of female characters).
Frontlines series (not insultingly bad, but not outstanding in any way)
Terran Fleet Command saga (first 2 books were decent naval SF, but book 3 was terrible babble and it was obvious the author just wanted to fill pages with letters)
Galactic Empire Wars saga (strong first book, drops off later on)
Lost Colonies Trilogy (a few interesting ideas, but characters you want to drop into a black hole)

I'm just gonna shamelessly plug my own novel series here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VVU7164

It's basically Tom Clancy does Space Opera before he went crazy. So you have spaceships that are essentially submarines IN SPACE, spies doing spy stuff, cold wars GOING HOT, tank battles ON MARS, spec ops operators operating ON THE MOON (high speed, zero drag environment) etc. It does do the whole "Unlikely hero in an old ship with a crew of misfits", but that is just one character among many (too many, really, the first book suffers from severe "Meanwhile..." syndrome in certain parts). And I never described the shape of a female character's breast.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

ArchangeI posted:

It's basically Tom Clancy does Space Opera before he went crazy. So you have spaceships that are essentially submarines IN SPACE, spies doing spy stuff, cold wars GOING HOT, tank battles ON MARS, spec ops operators operating ON THE MOON (high speed, zero drag environment) etc. It does do the whole "Unlikely hero in an old ship with a crew of misfits", but that is just one character among many (too many, really, the first book suffers from severe "Meanwhile..." syndrome in certain parts). And I never described the shape of a female character's breast.

Why isn't that the actual Amazon teaser/"about this book"? ;)

I'll give it a look!

Edit: Got a copy.

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Nov 8, 2016

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

ArchangeI posted:

I'm just gonna shamelessly plug my own novel series here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VVU7164

Hey cool I just picked up a copy.

I saw this guys stuff linked either off of an SA ad or by someone on SA a couple years back:
https://www.amazon.com/Casey-Calouette/e/B004IWHH8O/ref=sr_tc_2_0?qid=1478565468&sr=1-2-ent

Pretty sure I discussed him so far but for "space battle" stuff he gives it a really good run. I'd guess the author is a Navy man given the way he writes about the ships, overall combat and other things. The "star too far" series is particularly what I mean. I think the 1st book "Trial by Ice" is free. It gets a little plodding but picks up and the 2nd and 3rd book in the series do well. Definitely more focus on the actual battles themselves / tactics the ships use to protect themselves from damage, using momentum against each other etc.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I'm still reading it but 45% in and it's definitely 1 star. Whole crapload of new characters who I couldn't care less about, talking to each other about exactly the same crap over and over again.

Also, how many times do people say "X doesn't know how to pour piss out of a boot"? like 10 different people over the course of the book.
How often does piss actually get in boots? I've never seen it happen.

But what would be the correct way to pour it out? Backwards over the heel I would think, dont want to get piss on the laces...

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

ianmacdo posted:

But what would be the correct way to pour it out? Backwards over the heel I would think, dont want to get piss on the laces...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEqVkJiYJ80

Just finished the latest Safehold book and it's really confusing as to whether he's continuing the series or not. It's written like a 1 season tv show that doesn't know if it'll get renewed.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Libluini posted:

It's not just Honor, every protagonist-character somehow always has the best grades in everything or are masters in their given field and Weber is telling us all about it in great detail. That one guy who was secretly a master hacker in one of the earlier books was Weber at his most restraint. In the later books it gets worse and worse until Honor ceases to look like a Mary Sue just because most of the people around her are also the manifestation of pure awesomeness.

Chances are, when Weber introduces a new character and it's a good guy, he will spend a paragraph or two telling us about how Mr. Super-Good was at the top of his class, is seen as brilliant in X and awesome in Y until your eyes fall out because of all that rolling they'll do.

Edit:

In the beginning Honor sometimes mentioned how she felt she was bad at astro navigation and nearly failed out of the academy because of this. Somehow this and other weaknesses either never become relevant, or are forgotten throughout the series.

As I think on it, you're absolutely right. Honor's mom? Best geneticist around, able to figure out a problem for the Graysons that goes back centuries after only a few weeks on planet. Honor's dad? Best neurosurgeon anywhere. Scotty Tremaine? Best natural pilot in the Star Kingdom (except for Honor, of course). Earl White Haven? Best strategist in the galaxy (except for Honor).

Now that I'm looking for it, it's everywhere in the books, and it's nauseating. :sigh:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

ArchangeI posted:

This sounds pretty cool, adding in the queue.

At the moment I'm fully occupied reading Liaden Universe and A Closed And Common Orbit, though.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

ArchangeI posted:

Bought, looking forward to this.

E: Also, just finished the latest Safehold book by Weber. It's...pretty good? As in, stuff happens, plot moves forward, some mysteries resolved. Enjoyed it.

I now want some political sci fi where there's no grand conspiracy, just lots of people pursuing their own agendas and loving everything up, preferably with a flora poste style character who comes in and sorts it all out. I've read the expanse. Any thoughts?

Beefeater1980 fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Nov 16, 2016

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Beefeater1980 posted:

Bought, looking forward to this.

E: Also, just finished the latest Safehold book by Weber. It's...pretty good? As in, stuff happens, plot moves forward, some mysteries resolved. Enjoyed it.

I now want some political sci fi where there's no grand conspiracy, just lots of people pursuing their own agendas and loving everything up, preferably with a flora poste style character who comes in and sorts it all out. I've read the expanse. Any thoughts?

Yeah it even had an ending of sorts. Although there's enough dangling plot threads for a sequel assuming Weber lives that long. Although it does suffer from the same boring invincible tech wizards problems pretty much all of the books in the series since the first one have. Not to mention how said ending felt really rushed like for some reason it was going to be cut for time and repackaged as another book.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Huh. The latest Safehold book actually wrapped things up and mostly moved at a decent pace. I still hate how every battle needs to start with a chapter about some throwaway characters getting shanked, and despite having read some of the previous books 2-3 times the huge cast and made up names still makes it pretty hard for me to know who the hell the current viewpoint is or even what side they're on until several pages into their chapter, but at least stuff happened even if it all ended rather abruptly. And we never found out what was under the temple or what the arch angels return was all about. I'd be surprised if more books pick up at the same point, so I dunno how this will ever be revealed.

I would not mind seeing a Safehold WWII level unification war, and later a war against the aliens, provided they aren't as horribly drawn out as Safehold became. It feels like it could have been 3-6 books rather than 9, but he got a 9 book contract, said "Oh poo poo, how do I drag this out to 9 books?" and went into maximum-padding mode. Then, he finished book 8, realised he only had one book left to wrap everything up, and slammed out a monster book 9.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Nov 29, 2016

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Wait, Safehold is over? I seriously didn't think this was possible.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Libluini posted:

Wait, Safehold is over? I seriously didn't think this was possible.

To an extent.

There's still the aftermath to deal with: Unifying the planet and massively ramping up R&D for tech advances. And for the end-game, there's still the existential threat in the alien race that caused them to ditch all tech and hide in the first place.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
At least it's got an ending, apparently, instead of just petering out like the Honor Harrington stuff seems to be doing.

I'm about halfway through At the Sign of Triumph myself, and even though there's been some hinting about the series approaching an end (the discussion of the 'true' reason for the King Haarahld-class ships, the frank talk about what the plans for dealing with the temple are, etc) I still wasn't expecting the second half of the book to wrap up everything. You dicks ruined it for me. :argh:

Also I think I missed something somewhere, because there's been several mentions of some Grimaldi fellow who seems to have been yet another agitator against the Church and/or someone else clued in on the truth, by the context but the name is just thrown out there with no explanation (that I remember, anyway) :wtf:

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Nov 25, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I finished reading the Ancillary Justice trilogy this morning, and all things considered I think it's a decent but unexceptional series. There's a couple of potentially very interesting ideas at work with regards to the protagonist, and it's certainly a different sci-fi human society than usual, but the plot through the trilogy feels meandering and kind of pointless. The protagonist admits that she pulled the victory in the third book out of a hat at the last second, and you never really learn anything about any of the characters or setting elements beyond the protagonist's monologues about the nature of AIs.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Cythereal posted:

I finished reading the Ancillary Justice trilogy this morning, and all things considered I think it's a decent but unexceptional series. There's a couple of potentially very interesting ideas at work with regards to the protagonist, and it's certainly a different sci-fi human society than usual, but the plot through the trilogy feels meandering and kind of pointless. The protagonist admits that she pulled the victory in the third book out of a hat at the last second, and you never really learn anything about any of the characters or setting elements beyond the protagonist's monologues about the nature of AIs.

Yup. Never really came together and never understood how it got a Hugo

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

That Works posted:

This could be a fun conversation but we probably shouldn't have it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Miss-Bomarc posted:

This could be a fun conversation but we probably shouldn't have it.

Totally fine with that.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Cythereal posted:

I don't think I've ever felt a greater letdown between the first and last books of a series than I did with Ancillary Nouns. First book was wonderful, tons of interesting new(ish) concepts introduced, and the second and third books do just fuckall with them. I rarely do not finish a book but I put the third one down about a hundred pages in because nothing was happening and I just didn't care anymore.

Nippashish
Nov 2, 2005

Let me see you dance!
First book was great. Then the series became about tea.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Maybe it just wasn't your cup.

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe

ArchangeI posted:

as a totally shameless Clancy-even-after-he-caught-light-crazy lover (ie I enjoyed Teeth of the Tiger even) I have also just bought your words.

Currently reading the second book of Spineward Sectors but after that (there appears to be like, seventeen of them) I shall give yours a go and report back!

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

WarLocke posted:

Also I think I missed something somewhere, because there's been several mentions of some Grimaldi fellow who seems to have been yet another agitator against the Church and/or someone else clued in on the truth, by the context but the name is just thrown out there with no explanation (that I remember, anyway) :wtf:

Grimaldi is the "fallen angel" of disease, who the church are worried about after the nanobots kill everyone in the prison in an unexplained way.

Speaking of things thrown in with no explanation, I never saw a single hint until it happened that the head of the economy vicar's bodyguard, who was constantly portrayed as a hardcore church loyalist even in the internal monologues of people who knew the truth all along was actually an ultra-hardcore reformer who headed or was in an also never hinted at cabal of reformist army of god officers.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Nov 29, 2016

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Nippashish posted:

First book was great. Then the series became about tea.

Oh good, I was just thinking of asking somewhere if I should bother to read the third book after being disappointed by the second, and now I see I don't need to. I found the whole pronoun thing pretty interesting (and got to feel some good ol' gender-issues-guilt about which characters I found myself consistently assuming were male despite having no reason to think so) and really liked the gradual reveal of the world, and was really interested to see what more would happen. And then in the second book they just sit around in one place and drink tea while the world's most predictable plot plays out, with a brief interlude where we meet the single new character who is remotely interesting who then promply dies within about ten pages. Ugh.

Skritch
Jul 12, 2000

Angepain posted:

Oh good, I was just thinking of asking somewhere if I should bother to read the third book after being disappointed by the second, and now I see I don't need to. I found the whole pronoun thing pretty interesting (and got to feel some good ol' gender-issues-guilt about which characters I found myself consistently assuming were male despite having no reason to think so) and really liked the gradual reveal of the world, and was really interested to see what more would happen. And then in the second book they just sit around in one place and drink tea while the world's most predictable plot plays out, with a brief interlude where we meet the single new character who is remotely interesting who then promply dies within about ten pages. Ugh.

Seconding the thanks. Finished reading Ancillary Justice a few days ago, and was wondering whether to continue the series. The book started off at a casual walk but then accelerated at the end with a bunch of action. I hoped that the next two books continued at that faster pace, but it doesn't sound like it. I really, really liked the parts dealing with issues around one consciousness/multiple bodies, but was less enthusiastic about the style. There were a lot of interjections where the main character would talk directly to the reader along the lines of "I felt an emotion, and thought I did a good job hiding it" or "what she said was an insult", sometimes in pretty much those exact words. Likewise, the "pronoun thing" was certainly different, but it turned out to be unnecessary for the main plot of the book.

I'm interested in what happens next at the macro level, but not if I have to slog through some minor side story that has little to do with that. For contrast, I'm now 150 pages into Revelation Space, and I already feel that significantly more has happened. I can also mentally picture most of the characters, something I can't say for all but two or three of the ones in Ancillary Justice.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Angepain posted:

I found the whole pronoun thing pretty interesting (and got to feel some good ol' gender-issues-guilt about which characters I found myself consistently assuming were male despite having no reason to think so)

I'd strongly recommend you check out Ada Palmer's Too Like the Lightning. In addition to being a really good it plays similar tricks with gender pronouns, but does so thoughtfully and purposefully, rather than lazily and hackishly.

That Works posted:

The Puppies have generally terrible taste, but they were not wrong that most Hugo voters weight cliquishness and having the right politics heavier than they should.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

Patrick Spens posted:

The Puppies have generally terrible taste
yeah uh this is the thing that I was thinking we shouldn't do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (

Patrick Spens posted:

The Puppies have generally terrible taste, but they were not wrong that most Hugo voters weight cliquishness and having the right politics heavier than they should.

As someone who's never paid attention to the Hugos, what are some other winners that might be attributed to this? I get it in terms of the Ancillary series.

• Locked thread