Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

God exists, she's real, she heard my prayers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

For about 4 seconds at the start of that video I thought future tone was a Rez clone with a Miku skin

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

In Training posted:

For about 4 seconds at the start of that video I thought future tone was a Rez clone with a Miku skin

It's like a normal Project Diva game expect it has like every song they've used in any of the games before. Over 200.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

so for someone like me who has never played a miku its like the perfect one to get

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

if you've never played a Miku game then this is your chance to redeem yourself, yes

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I'm probably going to buy Suikoden 2 since it's on sale for 3 canuckbux. Is the first one worth playing, bearing in mind I have several other JRPGs in my backlog?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

U-DO Burger posted:

Holy poo poo I did not actually think we'd get this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcmWCwYqGpk

As someone who generally gets the gist about Japanese culture...what the gently caress am I looking at here?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

As someone who generally gets the gist about Japanese culture...what the gently caress am I looking at here?

It's a rhythm game

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Hatsune Miku is one of the (if not the most) most popular artists in Japan, as well as being the largest, united indie movement in music -- it's a very unique phenomenon. She also stars in a series of rhythm games from Sega, this one being based on the arcade game with over 200 songs.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Hatsune Miku is like as polar opposite from indie as music can get without actually being extremely popular

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

do they let people make their own songs in her voice? maybe thats what they meant by indie

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i know she has a guitar peddle that turns strumming into her singing lol

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

glam rock hamhock posted:

Hatsune Miku is like as polar opposite from indie as music can get without actually being extremely popular

It's not indie music as a genre, brother. It's about small producers doing niche music because they feel like it and, good lord, there's way too much of it. It's not just what you see in the Sega games; there's people doing jazz, hip hop, techno, and even some rather strange things. Some just produce songs online and call it a day while others actually produce whole albums with tiny print runs that are hard to find as all gently caress -- like, today I received in the mail a copy of a death metal Miku album and it rooooocks and no one knows about it. That's indie as gently caress.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I meant she's not indie in the sense is she's literally a cgi software mascot for an artificial voice that once opened for Lady Gaga which is like the least indie thing something can be. I'm sure there are people that use the software to make weird as hell poo poo but the concept of Miku herself as a fake pop star is as un-indie as it comes.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

elf help book posted:

It's like a normal Project Diva game expect it has like every song they've used in any of the games before. Over 200.
Does it really or do you buy them Rock Band style

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

CrashCat posted:

Does it really or do you buy them Rock Band style

There's two packs, one with 100 songs, another with 120. You can buy them separately or in a bundle. Bundle price is apparently $54?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

not sure they are offering them separately in the US. also it doesnt have best miku song HELLO PLANET so it is not a complete package of stuff from the previous games

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

also it doesnt have best miku song HELLO PLANET so it is not a complete package of stuff from the previous games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=833asbWxELI

It's there.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the day is redeemed all over again!

also i just got my $15 credit

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

unpronounceable posted:

I'm probably going to buy Suikoden 2 since it's on sale for 3 canuckbux. Is the first one worth playing, bearing in mind I have several other JRPGs in my backlog?

I've only played Suikoden 2 (just picked up Suikoden 1 today), and apparently a lot of the characters come from the first game, so it probably at least worth being familiar with the story of the first.
Can't really tell you if it's worth playing though :shrug:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

just got my $15 from last months spend $100 promo

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Same, got it as an e-mail. Wish Sony would be more consistent as to whether they send these things through e-mail or through PSN message but oh well I got my fun bux.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

unpronounceable posted:

It takes about 12 hours to 100% the first one, it holds up moderately well in terms of gameplay, and the save data carries over to boost the stats of a bunch of characters. You won't be particularly lost if you don't start from the beginning, but it's useful background and you probably won't regret it.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

So after having played Persona 3 Portable, P4G, and SMT 4, I'm curious about some titles on sale right now: SMT Nocturne, and digital devil sagas 1 and 2 (digital devils saga 1 and 2?)

Are they good/memorable in terms of plot, gameplay, tone? I've heard of them without really ever learning any details at all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

xedo posted:

So after having played Persona 3 Portable, P4G, and SMT 4, I'm curious about some titles on sale right now: SMT Nocturne, and digital devil sagas 1 and 2 (digital devils saga 1 and 2?)

Are they good/memorable in terms of plot, gameplay, tone? I've heard of them without really ever learning any details at all.

Nocturne is excellent. It is probablythe singular best SMT (as in mainline) game. It has less 'plot but is extremely atmospheric and fun to play. The only flaw it has is that it is the first PS2 SMT game and so a bit rougher in some areas. (And lacks the modern mechanics of SMTIV)

Digital Devil Saga is more plot heavy than Nocturne which is both a plus and negative. It is one game spread out over two and it has some annoying problems with pacing and mechanics related to that. It's still a very fun game and worth playing though, though Nocturne is overall better.

In terms of gameplay:

Nocturne is very similar to SMTIV. You have one customizable protagonist and then recruit and fuse demons to fill your party out. The protagonist equips magatamas which change his stats and will give new skills on level up. You need to focus more heavily than in SMTIV because you can't swap skills as easily.

DDS has a party of customizable characters but be warned that you get plot-mandated specific characters very often which can get annoying.

Both use the "Press Turn" system (which Nocturne introduced) which amounts to "hit enemy weaknesses to get extra turns, hit enemy strengths to lose turns" like you've seen in SMTIV.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 16, 2016

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Nocturne is one of the best games ever and easily the best SMT game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think I like the mechanics of IV more but the aesthetics f Nocturne are untouchable. I want V on a console again...the switch maybe?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Opinions on Jak collection for Vita at 3.99? I know it's not a great port but I'm wondering if price makes it right here.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.
It isn't on sale or anything but if you've ever played and enjoyed a Dragon Quest game you should pick up Dragon Quest Builders. I don't like Minecraft-likes because they're so undirected but this one gives you actual goals to accomplish on top of being a half decent action RPG.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

zenintrude posted:

Opinions on Jak collection for Vita at 3.99? I know it's not a great port but I'm wondering if price makes it right here.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought only the first one was super weird as far as porting issues went.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

El Hefe posted:

Nocturne is one of the best games ever and easily the best SMT game.

I'm intrigued. The series seems...impenetrable. Is it on PS4?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

PS2 and I think 3 only

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I wish they'd put Noctune/Lucifer's Call up as a PS2 on PS4 game.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Saoshyant posted:

There's two packs, one with 100 songs, another with 120. You can buy them separately or in a bundle. Bundle price is apparently $54?
Well that sounds reasonable if it pans out, I was expecting Train Simulator sorts of pricing

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Maximum Anime

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's a videogame where you press specific buttons in time to the music being played.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

irlZaphod posted:

I wish they'd put Noctune/Lucifer's Call up as a PS2 on PS4 game.

Have they put up any PS2 to PS4 games that were previously on PS3?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Hey cool I just got a $15 PSN voucher

what should I spend it on

I got a game called Oceanhorn 'cause Nobuo Uemetsu did the music and it's pretty cute, like a discount Wind Waker.

EDIT: I may put it in towards Vermintide, is that game any good with just online co-op?

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Nov 16, 2016

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Phantasium posted:

The only one I know of for sure is Bully. Ps2 classic for both ps3 and 4.

Also, thanks everyone for the advice, will at least pick up nocturne. Probably the digital devil games too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Phantasium posted:

The gta trilogy.

• Locked thread