Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
There is already fan art of every variety of the Kett.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

euphronius posted:

She is annoying. She stays on the Normandy.

Meh. At worst she's boring.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
there's a lot to do shepid. maybe some other time

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Femshep samara tali was my matriarch squad. Loved them all.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

marshmallow creep posted:

Something about their faces reminds me of Thane...with bone cancer.

So do they use armor in their outfits when in combat or are they like...boney human sized krogan and so tough they can withstand futuristic small arms fire?

They made a human with bonehats

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Dan Didio posted:

Soap! Your knife has overheated! Now, remember; switching to a reloading mechanic is always more fun than a cooldown mechanic.

*Runs or of ammo in a universe where they have unlimited-round magazines*

Seriously, they couldn't even be bothered to come up with a 'quality' in-universe reason for the switch.

A blended mechanic where you have over-heating but can use cooling-magazines to instantly reset your heat would have made more sense.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Thor-Stryker posted:

Seriously, they couldn't even be bothered to come up with a 'quality' in-universe reason for the switch.

A blended mechanic where you have over-heating but can use cooling-magazines to instantly reset your heat would have made more sense.

Especially since cores are spread so thick you can't really run out of ammo anyways.

It would also make heavier weapons, like the Heavy Pistol, more viable as a primary weapon.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
i look forward to romancing one of the boneguys

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Zzulu posted:

i look forward to romancing one of the boneguys

It's time to enter the bonezone :getin:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Romancing the Bone

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
I wish Bioware wasn't so stingy with in game skeletons. It's what limits them to humanoid aliens. Blizzard has a unique skeleton for each character in Overwatch which is crazy.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Trast posted:

I wish Bioware wasn't so stingy with in game skeletons. It's what limits them to humanoid aliens. Blizzard has a unique skeleton for each character in Overwatch which is crazy.

But they're all humanoid too...

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Mymla posted:

I brought miranda on pretty much every single mission because she had warp and overload, so she countered every enemy in the game.

Trast posted:

She also had a passive bonus to party damage.

These are weird ways to spell "dat rear end."

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

SgtSteel91 posted:

But they're all humanoid too...

Yes but they're different heights, weights, widths, body types, etc.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
If BioWare makes new skeletons they won't be able to dip into their animation library that they've been using since, I dunno, jade empire?

wonder who's gonna be the first person to do the air-quotes this time

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

Kurieg posted:

Yes but they're different heights, weights, widths, body types, etc.

This. I'm guessing if Blizzard had a need for a four legged model they would make it. Bioware seems to not want to invest the time in that kind of skeleton even though if could lead to some cool looking aliens.

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010

Trast posted:

I suspect that this has a lot to do with how they do cut scenes. A lot of in mission cut scenes include your current party in the background, I suspect that with one universal skeleton they can apply one sequence of animations to any character that might be there. If they do multiple skeletons they would potentially have to create multiple versions of each cut scene to account for whatever combination of skeletons might be present.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Pattonesque posted:

wonder who's gonna be the first person to do the air-quotes this time

It'd better be a turian, is all I'm saying

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

tayvaan posted:

I suspect that this has a lot to do with how they do cut scenes. A lot of in mission cut scenes include your current party in the background, I suspect that with one universal skeleton they can apply one sequence of animations to any character that might be there. If they do multiple skeletons they would potentially have to create multiple versions of each cut scene to account for whatever combination of skeletons might be present.

Reasonable assumption. That being said having an elcor do more than just sit stationary would be a nice bonus.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Trast posted:

Reasonable assumption. That being said having an elcor do more than just sit stationary would be a nice bonus.

wasn't there a spot on the citadel in... 2? I think? where you could see an elcor in the background walking around?

I'd say let's see a hanar move but it'd just float slowly and boringly :(

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Mazerunner posted:

wasn't there a spot on the citadel in... 2? I think? where you could see an elcor in the background walking around?

Part of a cutscene in 3 had an Elcor ambling along behind you.

It actually looked pretty cool.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Mazerunner posted:

I think when you first go talk to Anderson you can see an elcor walking on a bridge in the background.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I dropped nearly $200 AUD on the Bioware store sale last night :shepface:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
new screenshot -- looks like you probably get DadRyder's armor at some point

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The Kett companion needs to be their version of Captain Kirk. Just slutting it up with space aliens. Making peace through the art of love.

Captain Kett.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Pattonesque posted:

new screenshot -- looks like you probably get DadRyder's armor at some point

The hair looks better

And I'm not the only one who sees Cullen when I look at Scott Ryder, am I?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

tayvaan posted:

On the other hand it's not like there isn't a way for Bioware, a subsidiary of one of the largest video game companies in the world, to find the money and time to make their all their aliens not share the same animations as their humans.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

ehh. my guess is they only had one or 2. also i can also totaly believe that Cerberus is a secret cobra that was able to hide its power level from the alliance and the council, i can also believe they probaly had swell of recruitment and lickspittles after it was proven the reapers are indeed real and coming.

anyway they revealed the Kett yesterday. http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2016/11/14/exclusive-look-at-the-kett-mass-effect-andromedas-mysterious-new-race.aspx

they basicaly look like 2 eye protheians with bone cancer.

*concepts dozens of unique and appropriately alien looking heads, while maintaining readability for human emotions*

"That's cool and all but how about we instead we do like a pretty basic human face with idk spooky white eyes or something and maybe some bone bits sticking out??? drat, looks great! We fuckin' nailed this whole design processes thing."

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

*concepts dozens of unique and appropriately alien looking heads, while maintaining readability for human emotions*

"That's cool and all but how about we instead we do like a pretty basic human face with idk spooky white eyes or something and maybe some bone bits sticking out??? drat, looks great! We fuckin' nailed this whole design processes thing."

My exact thought.

"We wanted to make some really unique aliens, like nothing you could see in the other galaxy."

Then that.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Eej posted:

On the other hand it's not like there isn't a way for Bioware, a subsidiary of one of the largest video game companies in the world, to find the money and time to make their all their aliens not share the same animations as their humans.

They got to the point where they had to remove holstering a gun from the game because their shambling zombie of an engine was choking, moving to all kinds of different character model animations probably wouldn't have gone nicely

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Seemlar posted:

They got to the point where they had to remove holstering a gun from the game because their shambling zombie of an engine was choking, moving to all kinds of different character model animations probably wouldn't have gone nicely
They're using a new engine now at least.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

I'm assuming some concept artist busted their rear end producing some pretty unique looking and workable alien designs. At some point a higher up from outside the art department saw them and flipped out about how they were too unrelatable for this weird and frankly embarrassing-at-times video game series where you can romance a metallic dinosaur bird guy. Then a pissed off artist busted out a few iterations of a normal-ish looking guy with a few star trek prosthetics glued on and everyone agreed it was good and moved on.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
So basically we're up against gray humans in bone suits with spooky eyes? I'm pretty underwhelmed even for the obvious "soon-to-be-ally" race.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Milky Moor posted:

My exact thought.

"We wanted to make some really unique aliens, like nothing you could see in the other galaxy."

Then that.

First

then

like they're not even as weird as Salarians.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Literally any of those would've been better than what we got but I guess they wouldn't be able to ~reuse years worth of already made animations~ because Bioware is a poor indie dev who can't afford otherwise

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Also we can't make it too weird or else people would really have to freak out theorizing the taste of their sweat. I mean, come on guys. We know our terrible audience. We make it too out there and we'll invite only more horrible fan theories!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Fan theories on just how rough Kett osseous tissue is against my naked, trembling skin please

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Hedrigall posted:

Fan theories on just how rough Kett osseous tissue is against my naked, trembling skin please

YOU SEE? ITS ALREADY STARTING!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Any time someone talks about how they just can't get people to relate to weird alien faces/bodies I think about Thomas Was Alone and how by the end of that game I was completely invested in the fate of a bunch of rectangles.

Team Jump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Thor-Stryker posted:

I don't care about any of that, dude.