Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
i can't figure out how to
This poll is closed.
remove 69 3.49%
the 420 21.24%
poll 1488 75.27%
Total: 1977 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Disproportionate Orphan
Apr 17, 2009
I'm not sure where to post this, but I need some help for something that is a bit beyond my capabilities.

A friend of mine is obsessed with r/pizzagate. She's normally pretty rational, but conspiracy theories like this can latch onto nearly anyone. She's a mom, so I'd understand why she'd be upset about an alleged pedophilia ring in American politics.

I'm wondering if there are any good ways to debunk conspiracy theories like this, or if I should just let her think what she wants to think. Every time I Google something about pizzagate, even looking to debunk it, I only get sources that are from people who wholeheartedly believe in it. The big problem I have about this is that I could take literally take someone's office emails and get "sinister" readings from it by just saying that something like "pizza" means child prostitutes (like this alleges).

Basically, I'm just looking for help getting a friend to not believe crazy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

kustomkarkommando posted:

Last weekend, Krystal Lake, a 22 year-old young African American woman working at a Staten Island Home Depot store, was photographed wearing a custom-made hat that read “America Was Never Great.” The picture was posted online without Lake’s permission, and it and Lake received the expected (but still deeply troubling) quantity of hateful, racist, and ugly responses—including death threats—from Donald Trump supporters and other internet trolls.

I applaud Lake’s creativity and passion, and have nothing but contempt for all those who responded to her in such hateful and horrific ways. They exemplify the ugly underbelly of American society that Trump’s candidacy has so consistently and thoroughly drawn into the open of our conversations. Yet at the same time, I won’t be joining the substantial number of fellow progressives and public American Studies scholars who have committed to buying the hat or otherwise supporting and spreading its message.

For one thing, I don’t think that message makes sense on a political and pragmatic level. Embracing this perspective means overtly ceding to Trump supporters not only his specific “Make America Great Again” slogan, but broader narratives that seek to celebrate American greatness in any way. I believe there are far more Americans who find greatness in our nation than there are current Trump supporters, and differentiating such Americans—those political moderates, for example, who still have a sense of pride in key elements of their American identities and communities—from the opposition to Trump can only risk leading them to feel more closely tied to his perspective and ideas. That’s no way to win an election.

how could they lose

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Disproportionate Orphan posted:

I'm not sure where to post this, but I need some help for something that is a bit beyond my capabilities.

A friend of mine is obsessed with r/pizzagate. She's normally pretty rational, but conspiracy theories like this can latch onto nearly anyone. She's a mom, so I'd understand why she'd be upset about an alleged pedophilia ring in American politics.

I'm wondering if there are any good ways to debunk conspiracy theories like this, or if I should just let her think what she wants to think. Every time I Google something about pizzagate, even looking to debunk it, I only get sources that are from people who wholeheartedly believe in it. The big problem I have about this is that I could take literally take someone's office emails and get "sinister" readings from it by just saying that something like "pizza" means child prostitutes (like this alleges).

Basically, I'm just looking for help getting a friend to not believe crazy poo poo.

:ssh: the more you argue with her about this the more she'll believe it

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

there's no way they'd be smart enough to code their pedophilia

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
what in the goddamn gently caress is pizzagate do i want to know if not don't tell me

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

if you really care, learn as much as you can about pizzagate, common arguments, and how to debunk them, such that every time your friend brings it up you can casually dismiss them with factual arguments. don't actually try to argue them out of it, just aim for getting them to shut up. they'll either stop talking to you (bad) or learn to stop talking about it (good) at which point they may even start to doubt it

you can't argue anyone out of a believing in a conspiracy theory. all you can do is steadily shame them over a long period of time until they either snap or give up

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
plus there definitely is a dc pedo ring

Disproportionate Orphan
Apr 17, 2009

Dreylad posted:

what in the goddamn gently caress is pizzagate do i want to know if not don't tell me

Here you go. It's hard for me to describe, but basically they're saying that the DNC coded emails involving pedophilia. This involves way too many people for it to make sense.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://twitter.com/radionz/status/798644063108898817

owned

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i love digging too but because i'm a hardworking millennial not a lazy bludger octogenarian i dig my graves with a shovel

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

personally i prefer clawing the dirt from the ground with my barehands

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i plan on telekineticly vibrating my atoms until i turn to dust, allowing the westerly winds to blow my remains into my family's farm fields

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Dreylad posted:

i plan on telekineticly vibrating my atoms until i turn to dust, allowing the westerly winds to blow my remains into my family's farm fields

ah, the traditional death stage of the average canadian male

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

ah, the traditional death stage of the average canadian male
rest in peace mr cohen

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Personally I plan to go out like my ancestors, waking up one morning with a distant glassy look in my eyes and then wordlessly walking into the bog until I am fully submerged

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Personally I plan to go out like my ancestors, waking up one morning with a distant glassy look in my eyes and then wordlessly walking into the bog until I am fully submerged
same, but in my country "bog" is slang for a toilet

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Avshalom posted:

same, but in my country "bog" is slang for a toilet

are you very small or is it a very large toilet

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

the world is toilet friend

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

are you descended from cats

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

gently caress my laptop's screen just came loose

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i really cannot afford to replace this computer

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

lovely cheap-rear end plastic this loving nerd-computer has bah

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

ah, true

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

V. Illych L. posted:

lovely cheap-rear end plastic this loving nerd-computer has bah
build yourself a new one out of illegally obtained timber

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
gently caress burial just let my cats eat me, so I can serve them in death as I did in life

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Avshalom posted:

build yourself a new one out of illegally obtained timber

this might legit not be a terrible idea, if i can get someone to make the boards just right

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8j3C3VsEzE

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
pictured: vil's future laptop

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

pictured: randler's laptop

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

all the electronics are good, it's just the plastic that's cracked and utter shite

someone who knew what they were doing could probably make a perfectly servicable replacement out of wood

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

V. Illych L. posted:

i really cannot afford to replace this computer

go out into the forest and find another one

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
and by forest i mean your neighbors house

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Disinterested posted:

The cracking of the Enigma is a fascinating cryptographic attack

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
fun fact: your data is only slightly more secure than German transmissions via Enigma

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Disinterested posted:

This machine kills randlers

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

fun fact: your data is only slightly more secure than German transmissions via Enigma

rsa's pretty funny because it basically relies on prime factors being somewhat computationally hard to brute force

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
I have 37 minutes to consume 1000 cals at an asian buffet

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Wow that's easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos