Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Telephones
Apr 28, 2013

Guy Goodbody posted:

The Democrats have campaigned hard on women's rights for the past two elections and lost both times, so an argument could be made that people don't care about women's rights. Women's rights are still important, and that should be a part of the platform and they should be fought for, but pretty clearly they can't be the primary message if you want to win elections.

It's this and its so insanely simple. You just need a charismatic forceful dude/ette to aggressively and sincerely push a message of economic populism with a good deal of banal American patriotism. At least, that is what was needed for this cycle and probably what will be needed for the next couple (fingers crossed!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Crowsbeak posted:

No I meant that to them all poor whites are hateful troglodytes who only want to burn gays and lynch black people. So to them being socially conscious is impossible when talking to all poor people because white poor people are uniquely hateful.

I don't think this kind of sarcastic hateful speech is that useful even when you're pretending "that's how the other side talks"

Like what's your real point?

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

So we're back to the establishment Democratic thinking (what you listed) and literally nothing has to change but the presidential candidate.

The establishment Democrats are avowed neoliberals and never followed through with any of those policies

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Trabisnikof posted:

Your post said that we would be able to start running on progressive platforms in 2020, but it sounds like you actually don't think that matters.

My bad. I probably should have said "policies" or "values".

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

FAUXTON posted:

I locked in a 3.375% rate on a mortgage on 10/31

Backed out of that one because the seller wanted us to pay half of the cost to replace the furnace that the inspection found to have a cracked heat exchanger and a gas leak.

Locked in a new mortgage rate yesterday 11/14: 3.75%, fuuuuuck you Donald Trump.

Doing the math -- a new furnace + installation (divided by 2) vs. what you're probably paying in extra interest over the next 30 years -- you just made mistake.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Trabisnikof posted:

Your post said that we would be able to start running on progressive platforms in 2020, but it sounds like you actually don't think that matters.

So we're back to the establishment Democratic thinking (what you listed) and literally nothing has to change but the presidential candidate.

So the 2016 platform works for 2020 just tone down the women and minority bits and replace them with more aggressive economic populism?

What is wrong with the 2016 platform (ignoring what we think of it's likeliness of being implemented)?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Telephones posted:

It's this and its so insanely simple. You just need a charismatic forceful dude/ette to aggressively and sincerely push a message of economic populism with a good deal of banal American patriotism. At least, that is what was needed for this cycle and probably what will be needed for the next couple (fingers crossed!).

Well when you leave women's rights out of the platform and fail to energize large sections of the base, maybe the lesson of 2016 will start to sink in.

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

The establishment Democrats are avowed neoliberals and never followed through with any of those policies

I wouldn't be so harsh on Warren, Obama, Sanders, Reid et al they're trying hard. Do you really think they're anti-union?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

To be fair they occasionally will when it's convenient and won't cost their donors money. It's the one thing that makes them better than the GOP that's just nakedly corrupt.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Trabisnikof posted:

I don't think this kind of sarcastic hateful speech is that useful even when you're pretending "that's how the other side talks"

Like what's your real point?

Actually if I had the time to I would gladly find several posts from 2012 arguing this point.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

Truth

Seriously, you're kidding yourself if you think any of the things listed are establishment Democrat positions. Strengthening unions? Get the gently caress outta here

Trabisnikof posted:

I wouldn't be so harsh on Warren, Obama, Sanders, Reid et al they're trying hard. Do you really think they're anti-union?

They don't have to be anti union. The fact of the matter is that democrats have done literally nothing to strengthen unions besides bitch as republicans passed bills to kill them. In addition to all the other things like tax hikes and expanding the welfare state and etc

sit on my Facebook fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Nov 16, 2016

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

Motto posted:

Does the Bernie wing still think that he sufficiently addressed those issues in the primary?

It's like you need him to take your dick out of his mouth every five minutes and remind you he's sucking it. He's not bad at blowing you, you just suck at getting your dick sucked.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

FourLeaf posted:

I was considering voting in the GOP primary for the same reason, but on the actual day I decided Bernie probably needed more help to win than Trump. I was right :smith:

I vote in the GOP primary most years because Texas. I like having a say in the actual election rather than the general.

Tried desperately to save David "zzzzzz" Dewhurst from Ted Cruz that first time. Didn't work.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Here, have a video of actual smart people explaining the election.

tl:dw: we have to end the concept of work itself. It's going to get worse before it gets better.

Edit: I think it was Phone who showed me who Mark Blyth is? Thanks! I'm going to use these to write a paper.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Crowsbeak posted:

Well according to you that means the majority just want police violence.

No, it's something that will most likely never affect them, because they're white and our justice system actually attempts to live up to innocent until proven guilty for them. They just don't give a poo poo because at a fundamental level they don't believe rampant police violence and discrimination takes place because it does not jive with their personal experience dealing with cops. On the other hand, their boyfriend's dad is a cop, or their uncle or their neighbor, and they're telling stories about all the perps and thugs they deal with and how they're outgunned and outmanned on patrol. They're worried about home invasions to an inordinate extent, that's half the reason why they have a gun if they own one.

If you have a good way of convincing people that their worldview is not representative of everyone who lives in this country and that minorities have to deal with all the same problems they do, with an added helping of systemic racism on top, let me know because I have been trying for a while now to do this and I don't think I've made much progress

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

RuanGacho posted:

What is wrong with the 2016 platform (ignoring what we think of it's likeliness of being implemented)?

I like the 2016 platform, so it confuses me when people say "tear it all down" the suggest we replace it with basically the same thing.

Crowsbeak posted:

Actually if I had the time to I would gladly find several posts from 2012 arguing this point.

Then we could again argue about your known inability to detect sarcasm, yay!

sit on my Facebook posted:

Truth

Seriously, you're kidding yourself if you think any of the things listed are establishment Democrat positions. Strengthening unions? Get the gently caress outta here

You've clearly not been paying much attention, labor is literally a core part of the Democratic Party establishment. Shall we go over how many labor leaders control party positions?

It is amazing how deep down the rabbit hole we are if Democrats are now considered anti-union.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
gently caress this argument, seriously

https://twitter.com/asmith83/status/798688013924626432

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

If Obama is anti-union, explain his DoJ & DoL labor initiatives and NLRB appointments? It makes no sense.

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

It is amazing how deep down the rabbit hole we are if Democrats are now considered anti-union.

They genuinely do not a give poo poo about unions and are absolutely ok with policies that destroy them - stuff like charter schools and NAFTA and TPP and a complete unwillingness to spend money and fight right to work policies. They say they support them to get votes from an ossified union leadership that hasn't really progressed beyond the 1980s when it comes to dealing with their problems. Either they are against unions, or they simply do not care. In any case, they certainly do nothing to help them.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

If Obama is anti-union, explain his DoJ & DoL labor initiatives and NLRB appointments? It makes no sense.

Democrats failed to pass pro-union legislation despite controlling almost 45% of Congress, that's just a fact.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

PerniciousKnid posted:

Democrats failed to pass pro-union legislation despite controlling almost 45% of Congress, that's just a fact.

lol I actually believe people are thinking like that in this thread.

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

They genuinely do not a give poo poo about unions and are absolutely ok with policies that destroy them - stuff like charter schools and NAFTA and TPP and a complete unwillingness to spend money and fight right to work policies. They say they support them to get votes from an ossified union leadership that hasn't really progressed beyond the 1980s when it comes to dealing with their problems. Either they are against unions, or they simply do not care. In any case, they certainly do nothing to help them.

You seem to forget the fight over card check. Or is that proof they don't care enough?

The Democratic Party is massively pro-union and sure there are Democrats who aren't and many states where expanding unions is a no-go due to Republicans. But that doesn't make it an anti-union party.

Also TPP had pro-labor parts, now we can see it unions do better without it.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Trabisnikof posted:

I like the 2016 platform, so it confuses me when people say "tear it all down" the suggest we replace it with basically the same thing.

Then we could again argue about your known inability to detect sarcasm, yay!

Well trab it's about results and especially with the Clintons we don't get that.
Yeah

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Belding posted:

It's like you need him to take your dick out of his mouth every five minutes and remind you he's sucking it. He's not bad at blowing you, you just suck at getting your dick sucked.
This is legit the most patronizing thing I have ever read.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

they didn't put card check up for a vote when then had a super majority lol

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Crowsbeak posted:

Well trab it's about results and especially with the Clintons we don't get that.
Yeah

If only we had nominated Bernie he would've Judo'd the Republicans into becoming pro-union somehow with his incredible powers of compromise, Hillary could learn a thing or two.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

This is legit the most patronizing thing I have ever read.
You must be a white man.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Zikan posted:

I guess you'd rather we never have passed Obamacare? Or are all Democrats to blame for Lieberman and the other mostly-purged yellow dogs? Or do political realities not count when judging success?

Crowsbeak posted:

Yeah

So nothing has to change for 2020 except pick a hip cool candidate?

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013

Trabisnikof posted:

Well when you leave women's rights out of the platform and fail to energize large sections of the base, maybe the lesson of 2016 will start to sink in.

Yeah you're right I'm just exhausted. Agggh.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Trabisnikof posted:

I guess you'd rather we never have passed Obamacare? Or are all Democrats to blame for Lieberman and the other mostly-purged yellow dogs? Or do political realities not count when judging success?

So nothing has to change for 2020 except pick a hip cool candidate?

Pick someone who is trustworthy. Your side is not.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Zikan posted:

The super majority was basically a myth, good luck basing your reality around it.

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

The Democrats had a majority of both the House and the Senate, and the Presidency in 2008. They could have passed single payer if they had the loving guts to actually fight for it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Telephones posted:

Yeah you're right I'm just exhausted. Agggh.

My answer is "say it all in a beautiful perfect way but don't ask me how" so I'm as stumped as anyone.

But the answer isn't that we need more economic populism and less other parts of the left, but that the left needs to figure out how to push for all of them at once.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

The Democrats had a majority of both the House and the Senate, and the Presidency in 2008. They could have passed single payer if they had the loving guts to actually fight for it.

lol yeah, just gonna cruise through the senate with 35 votes.

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

You. Lost. and in spectacular fashion. There is absolutely no credibility to anything you say, especially with regards to "electability."

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

PerniciousKnid posted:

I guess it's the republicans fault too that teacher's unions are getting squeezed even in liberal bastions and charter schools are floated by the Clinton Foundation and the neoliberal establishment as a solution to the issues facing k-12 education

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

You. Lost. and in spectacular fashion. There is absolutely no credibility to anything you say, especially with regards to "electability."

I don't think trabisnikof is hillary clinton tbh

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

sit on my Facebook posted:

They don't have to be anti union. The fact of the matter is that democrats have done literally nothing to strengthen unions besides bitch as republicans passed bills to kill them. In addition to all the other things like tax hikes and expanding the welfare state and etc

What can you do when you bitch and complain and make it public in places like Wisconsin and people continue to hand the keys to Scott Walker and his cronies? If you don't have a legislative option to stop it and people keep refusing to vote in changes...

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Crowsbeak posted:

Pick someone who is trustworthy. Your side is not.

It's loving baffling that people can't seem to grasp the notion that words are not action, and some people actually have memories longer than a goldfish when it comes to the Democratic Party's revealed preferences and values over the past several decades.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

My answer is "say it all in a beautiful perfect way but don't ask me how" so I'm as stumped as anyone.

But the answer isn't that we need more economic populism and less other parts of the left, but that the left needs to figure out how to push for all of them at once.

If Clinton's loss proved that we need a more authentic progressive voice, Bernie's loss proved that economic populism isn't sufficient on its own.

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

Hillary went twice as far as Bernie, so Hillary supporters have twice as much credibility.

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Nov 16, 2016

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor
Republicans don't have a loving supermajority either right!?!? But why is everyone making GBS threads their pants? Because you can poke holes in these loving coalitions. Just like the GD Democrats could have done

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Bip Roberts posted:

lol yeah, just gonna cruise through the senate with 35 votes.

If only they had tried harder they would have gotten Republican support for Nationalizing a $3 Trillion Sector of the economy.

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

Hey. Guess what.

Single Payer was on the Ballot too.

Look up the results and get back to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I see we're at the "reinvent history to badmouth the Democrats" juncture of the post-election period.

• Locked thread