Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

negromancer posted:

That and doctors used to literally experiment on us.

Also yes, there is a disturbingly large number of medical professionals that believe black people feel less pain or no pain at all.

Literally magic superhuman negroes. It's actual doctors that think we are all Luke Cage.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2016/04/04/do-blacks-feel-less-pain-than-whites-their-doctors-may-think-so/

I watched American Denial yesterday (http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/films/american-denial/). One segment described how researchers gave doctors an implicit bias test and found that most of the doctors scored high for bias, and that biased doctors were less likely to give African American heart attack patients the clot-busting medication they needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I had the exact same thing happen growing up. Every teacher I had in elementary school wanted to drug me up, to the point of threatening my parents with expulsion if they didn't. I know my "angry black girl" reputation here and people's latent just-world reflexive assumption that any bad thing that happens to someone must at least be a little deserved has everyone reading this imagining what a terror I must have been in class, but I was raised by very strict parents and never would have dreamed of acting up in class or talking back to a teacher. The terrible behavior disorder my teachers wanted to medicate out of me was simply that I finished my class reading early and would read my own book or draw until the rest of the class was finished. Over and over again teachers would interpret this as me "not doing my work," even though I and my parents kept pointing out that it was because my work was finished. I also got labeled a cheater by default, and had to take most of my tests out in the hallway instead of with the class. More than once a teacher threatened me with detention for "disrupting the class" when I walked in to turn in my finished test before the white kids were done, so I learned to just sit and stare at the wall until the end of the period every time there was a test. Doing anything to entertain myself like reading or even doing other homework would have been interpreted as "cheating" by any passing teachers and/or snitchy white kids. All this snowballed into a thing where, much like here with the mods, my reputation as a "troublemaker" earned me harsher punishments and got me singled out for discipline frequently.

There was also one time a white mom saw me talking to two other black kids and warned the PTA that there was gang activity in the school.

I am a bit older than y'all, so Ritalin wasn't a popularized thing yet, but this is similar to my childhood. I started out in private school for 1st grade and then went to public in 2nd. I was probably years ahead of most of the students in my class, so I got bored quickly. Instead of putting me in a gifted program, they put me in a lower level reading program because I was too "disruptive" in class.

I was not a kid genius by any means, but instead of nurturing my intelligence, these schools did everything they could to treat me like absolute poo poo.

Even when I was applying for colleges, the counselors couldn't even be bothered with helping me get scholarships, despite a 29 on the ACT (including a perfect score in the social sciences and English portions).

And this is all from being middle classed and economically privileged. I cannot even imagine what it is like for lower income POC.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
I am lucky as hell, then. I went to minority majority schools until the 4th grade when my (white) first year teacher pulled my mom aside one day and told her "Morby will succeed here and she will excel, but she will not be challenged. I think you need to send her to a different school." Also I was being bullied because even back then I was a goony, nerdy gently caress who "talked white". And my mom took the advice and ran with it. The (black lady) principal told her I'd never make it and it would be a fantastic failure. My mom is super petty and would send her every single achievement I made up through my college degree. That was the good side of it. The bad side is that I went from being in a minority majority situation to being one of a handful of brown faces in pretty much all social situations. Most of the black kids were in band. I chose orchestra. I was adopted into the gifted class because that's where all my friends were. A lot of the black kids that were planning for college went to a predominately black math and science magnet high school. I went to the majority white liberal arts magnet (though I really didn't have a choice, it was my mom's alma mater and it's honestly one of the best schools in our state). In fact, my very first year is when my high school went "all magnet" (meaning you had to take a test to get in and maintain a certain GPA to stay in). Prior to our freshman class, you could stay at the school if you moved from a "magnet" to "non-magnet" status. Every year since then it was either maintain the GPA or GTFO. We started with a class of 314 freshmen. Of them, I'll say 75 were black. When I graduated, our senior class was about 260 and I'll say about 40 of us were black.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

negromancer posted:

Another huge problem is the overdiagnosis of intelligent black children (especially one far and above white children of comparable age) with ADD or ADHD because the rote learning material is slow and garbage, but if you're a genius white child they just pull you out of the system and give you all the things necessary to be a superstar.

White people literally cannot handle genius black kids because it breaks their worldview. My mom taught me that after multiple teachers tried to get me on meds, and I lasted a total of 3 weeks on Ritalin. The dirty secret is that it helps average people focus, but turns smart kids into zombies.

It was to the point where a white teacher at a private school outright told my mom I had to be cheating or there was something developmentally wrong with me because there's no way a black child can be that smart.

Poor intelligent kids in general face this problem. I went through something remarkably similar as smart white trailer trash. Rich parents can take the child in for a independant evaluation. School psychologists default to ritalin and are pressured to by the school and teachers even in the face of evidence. They'll even straight up ignore the results of a gifted / talented screening they personally proctored.

The worst part is the way one can be shunted onto a particular track. It's particularly cruel to put a gifted kid in a medicated learning disability category.

Edit: the topic of emotional intensity in intelligent is an interesting thing to delve into. They are interested in what they are interested in and can't really be forced to be interested in other things. Kind of a predisposition to not give a gently caress.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Nov 16, 2016

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

One of the things we learn in teacher school (well, and is dead obvious anyway) is that the kindergarten-first grade experience basically sets you up for your entire school career. I seriously wonder how much life would change for POC in America if we just had more "woke" POC kinder/1st teachers, men and women.

Like part of the problem is we teachers talk. Oh I had that kid last year, beware! It's easy for one teacher's bigotry to spread into other teachers, plus, we're loving racist to begin with.* So if your very first teacher understood this, maybe they could pull off the opposite of what's happening - frame kids in positive ways instead of being negative all the time. "Hey, keep an eye on TB when you have her in 3rd grade. She's super bright and she finishes her work pretty fast so maybe have her do some student leadership tasks while other kids are working."

*Nothing against teachers, I am one. But we're the ones who didn't just survive K-12 education, we liked it. We're almost by design racist because we flourished in a racist system. Sometimes when I think about everything that's wrong with education and how to possibly fix it I just get overwhelmed with how thoroughly hosed it is.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Hawkgirl posted:

One of the things we learn in teacher school (well, and is dead obvious anyway) is that the kindergarten-first grade experience basically sets you up for your entire school career. I seriously wonder how much life would change for POC in America if we just had more "woke" POC kinder/1st teachers, men and women.

Like part of the problem is we teachers talk. Oh I had that kid last year, beware! It's easy for one teacher's bigotry to spread into other teachers, plus, we're loving racist to begin with.* So if your very first teacher understood this, maybe they could pull off the opposite of what's happening - frame kids in positive ways instead of being negative all the time. "Hey, keep an eye on TB when you have her in 3rd grade. She's super bright and she finishes her work pretty fast so maybe have her do some student leadership tasks while other kids are working."

*Nothing against teachers, I am one. But we're the ones who didn't just survive K-12 education, we liked it. We're almost by design racist because we flourished in a racist system. Sometimes when I think about everything that's wrong with education and how to possibly fix it I just get overwhelmed with how thoroughly hosed it is.

To add to this, there are some of us coming up that are getting into education cause we see a broken system that needs fixing.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
For all of those people who keep telling us we need to "come together" and "meet in the middle" with a bunch of fascist racist bigots, to calmly discuss and debate as to how their beliefs are destructive:

Holocaust survivor Frans Firon in 1988 posted:

"If fascism could be defeated in debate, I assure you that it would never have happened, neither in Germany, nor in Italy, nor anywhere else. Those who recognised its threat at the time and tried to stop it were, I assume, also called “a mob”. Regrettably too many “fair-minded” people didn’t either try, or want to stop it, and, as I witnessed myself during the war, accommodated themselves when it took over."

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

negromancer posted:

For all of those people who keep telling us we need to "come together" and "meet in the middle" with a bunch of fascist racist bigots, to calmly discuss and debate as to how their beliefs are destructive:

Thank you. This "come together and heal" bullshit being espoused by the same people who spent years deliberately doing everything they could to cause as much rise in bigoted fascism as possible for power being accepted solely because it sounds nice sickens me to the depths of my soul. They want us all to smile sweetly while they slit our throats so they can go back to feeling safe and secure as the dominant party. They don't give the slightest drat about any kind of peace and must be reminded of that as loudly as possible as for as long as possibleor they will fully succeed in forcing back all progress.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
That's because white people confuse peace with quiet, when they are not the same.

Speaking of which, for white folks who think minorities may be overreacting, let's give a dose of what America was like when it was "great".

Also, as you can see, white people have a long and contributing tradition of allowing the state to carry out lynchings in their stead, and signing off on it in courtrooms.

Mary Turner - On 16th May 1918, a notoriously abusive planter named Hampton Smith was shot to death on his plantation outside Valdosta, Georgia, by Sidney Johnson, a black worker who Smith had beaten several times previously. Johnson fled the area to avoid a gathering lynch mob which, denied their original target, went on a several-day rampage that killed around a dozen people. One of their victims was another black man, Hayes Turner, who had previously argued with Smith. The mob 'convicted' him of conspiracy in Smith's death, and lynched.

Turner's wife, Mary, 21 years old and 8 months pregnant, publicly denied that Hayes had been involved in Smith's death, and protested to the local sheriff that the men who murdered her husband should be jailed.

Three days later, a mob numbering several hundred dragged Mary Turner from her home, and took her to a nearby bridge. There, they tied her ankles, hung her upside down, doused her in motor oil, and set her alight.

In reporting the story, the AP said that Mary Turner had made "unwise remarks" and that "the people, in their indignant mood, took exception to her remarks, as well as her attitude". An investigation named 2 suspected mob instigators and 15 active participants, but no charges were ever brought.

Isaac Woodard -- Woodard served in the US army in WW2, and reached the rank of sergeant. Returning from the war, he was honorably discharged in Georgia on February 12th 1946, and caught a bus to his family home in North Carolina. At a stop en route Woodard asked the driver if there was time to use the restroom the driver 'cursed' at him, and Woodard 'cursed' back. When the bus reached Batesburg, South Carolina, the driver called the police, who beat Woodard with a nightstick, arrested him for disorderly conduct, and dragged him off to the local jail.

That night, Batesburg chief of police Linwood Shull assaulted Woodard in his cell, beating him around the face with such ferocity that he was left blind (some accounts at the time said that Shull had gouged his eyes out, but in fact he had merely beaten his face so badly that both eye globes 'ruptured irreparably in their sockets'. He also suffered from temporary amnesia. The following morning Woodard was brought before a judge, who fined him $50 for disorderly conduct. Although Woodard complained that he couldn't see and was suffering from mental confusion, it took two days for a doctor to be called and a further three weeks for his family to track him down and take him home, where it was confirmed that his blindness was permanent.

Eight months later, a public outcry led by the unlikely combination of Orson Welles and Woodie Guthrie led to a federal prosecution of Linwood Shull. The prosecutor acted incompetently, as though they weren't interested in a conviction, and interviewed no-one involved except the bus driver. Shull's defense attorney referred to Woodard as 'the friend of the family' in court, said that the case threatened the women and children of the state, and told the all-white jury "if you rule against Shull, let this South Carolina secede again".

The jury acquitted Shull in less than 30 minutes. The courtroom burst into applause at the verdict. The presiding judge, Julius Waring, was so outraged at the injustice that he became a civil rights advocate, for which he was disowned by his friends and family. Linwood Shull lived to be 95, and never suffered any punishment for his role in the case.

Woodrow Wilson Daniels - Daniels, a grocer's assistant, was arrested Yalobusha County, Mississippi, in June of 1958 for drunk diving, and sent to the county jail. There, he was repeatedly assaulted with a 10-inch blackjack by the county sheriff, JG 'Buster' Treloar. After Daniels's wife bailed him out, he was sent to a hospital in Memphis, where he died of a subdural hemorrhage. An autopsy attributed this to the severe head injuries he had suffered.

Treloar was tried for manslaughter in the courtroom of Justice Curtis Swango who had previously presided over the Emmet Till trial; the jury was all-white. The prosecution called Daniels's (white) employer, who said that he had seen the sheriff enter Daniels's cell and that the sounds of a beating had followed. They called a (white) doctor who had been called to the jail, who said that he had seen the sheriff kick Daniels as he lay on the floor and curse at him.

The jury took 24 minutes to find Treloar not guilty. When the verdict was announced, the defense lawyer joked "Why that jury knew that you can't kill a friend of the family by hitting him on the head. You gotta hit him on the heel!". Treloar walked to the evidence stand, pocketed his blackjack, and said "Now, by God, I can get back to rounding up bootleggers and niggers". Daniels's wife and children left the state shortly after the trial. Treloar remained a respected member of the community up to his death in 2006.

negromancer fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Nov 16, 2016

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Ok, how do you engage people about privilege when they are absolutely hostile to the very idea? I mentioned to a friend that Steve Bannon's appointment scares the poo poo out of me and was essentially told "I'm tired of people blaming me for Hillary losing and I'm tired of being told I'm racist! :qq:" Like, where do you even start with that?

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Morby posted:

"I'm tired of people blaming me for Hillary losing and I'm tired of being told I'm racist! :qq:"

Methinks the lady doth protest too much.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Morby posted:

Ok, how do you engage people about privilege when they are absolutely hostile to the very idea? I mentioned to a friend that Steve Bannon's appointment scares the poo poo out of me and was essentially told "I'm tired of people blaming me for Hillary losing and I'm tired of being told I'm racist! :qq:" Like, where do you even start with that?

Either you're excluding a couple of beats in that conversation or your friend is beyond all hope

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

negromancer posted:

The jury took 24 minutes to find Treloar not guilty. When the verdict was announced, the defense lawyer joked "Why that jury knew that you can't kill a friend of the family by hitting him on the head. You gotta hit him on the heel!". Treloar walked to the evidence stand, pocketed his blackjack, and said "Now, by God, I can get back to rounding up bootleggers and niggers". Daniels's wife and children left the state shortly after the trial. Treloar remained a respected member of the community up to his death in 2006.

One of the few bits of progress that's been made since then is that people would actually call you racist if you came right out and admitted it like that these days. Of course, as a result, all the racists have learned not to come right out and admit it like that these days. Pretend I copy-pasted Lee Atwater here if you like.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Morby posted:

Continue to call them a racist and refuse any offers to settle the dispute.

Occam’s Racist: The notion that when confronted with multiple competing hypotheses for why a person supported racist actions, the simplest and best explanation is that they are actually a racist.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Rick_Hunter posted:

Occam’s Racist: The notion that when confronted with multiple competing hypotheses for why a person supported racist actions, the simplest and best explanation is that they are actually a racist.

I like this.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Bannon is a literal white supremacist. You need to tell that person they he is a white supremacist and if they continue him and therefore white supremacy, you will cut them out of your life. When they continue to support a white supremacist you need to cut them the gently caress out of your life. Would you like to read that racist tree parable?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Morby posted:

quote:

Beware of those who seek to make you question your own pain and oppression because it is simpler than acknowledging their own privilege and lack of empathy - your doubt will always benefit them.

Basically, he's just being willfully ignorant and if he REALLY wanted to learn, he would find out for himself.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

negromancer posted:

I like this.

Credit where credit's due: An advisor of a friend. I just appropriated it.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

double negative posted:

Either you're excluding a couple of beats in that conversation or your friend is beyond all hope

My friend shared an article someone wrote about white privilege. My friend very strongly disagrees with it. I responded to the article about my concerns about Steve Bannon. Some of her friends that I don't know legit tried to argue with me that he isn't white nationalist. Like somebody said "I'm white and I'm a veteran. That makes me a white nationalist!" One of our mutual friends said "What the actual gently caress?" and provided further evidence of Bannon being a racist. And all that lead to my friend having a meltdown about being sick of being blamed, being called racist (which I never did), etc. I had unfollowed her, but since she responded to the comment I got a notification about it. I haven't responded since the last outburst.

Koalas March posted:

Bannon is a literal white supremacist. You need to tell that person they he is a white supremacist and if they continue him and therefore white supremacy, you will cut them out of your life. When they continue to support a white supremacist you need to cut them the gently caress out of your life. Would you like to read that racist tree parable?

Oh god no not the racist tree. I'm basically gonna sever. That's at least the 4th or 5th person this week. :(

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Koalas March posted:

It's not even like he's a fellow traveler. He's just bona fide out and proud. It's like if Eisenhower made one of his communist paymasters perform their deliberate treason against the constitution as an official cabinet member.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

It's not even like he's a fellow traveler. He's just bona fide out and proud. It's like if Eisenhower made one of his communist paymasters perform their deliberate treason against the constitution as an official cabinet member.

What gets me about it is that this is another (I guess, former) friend of mine who voted for loving Johnson. So she really has no reason to co-sign for anything Trump wants to do or anybody he wants to appoint to any positions. Why defend this guy? These folks are going through so many mental gymnastics Simone and Gabby are looking over like "drat!"

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Koalas March posted:

Would you like to read that racist tree parable?

Probably getting to be time to get more biblical and start pruning the loving tree.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Morby posted:

Oh god no not the racist tree. I'm basically gonna sever. That's at least the 4th or 5th person this week. :(

They basically want to be friends with you on their terms and their terms only. I mean, it is up to you if you want to put up with the bullshit, but right now, this is easy mode anti-racism. It doesn't take much to denounce a noted white supremacist.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

It's not really about defending Trump, it's a visceral reaction to race being an actual topic of discussion and an anxiety about white people becoming a persecuted, despised group.

I actually dislike the concept of white privilege because it reads to me like baby's first acknowledgment of white supremacy, but even that is too much for most people, who end up reading any deployment of white privilege as an accusation of their personal bigotry. I find for most of those folks, it's an accurate assessment.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

They basically want to be friends with you on their terms and their terms only. I mean, it is up to you if you want to put up with the bullshit, but right now, this is easy mode anti-racism. It doesn't take much to denounce a noted white supremacist.

Not when you have people literally saying "I'm a veteran, I love America, and I'm white, therefore I'm a White Nationalist!" I am just unable to can with folks right now. I think I'm just gonna drop it and try to recover some of my equilibrium.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Morby posted:

Not when you have people literally saying "I'm a veteran, I love America, and I'm white, therefore I'm a White Nationalist!" I am just unable to can with folks right now. I think I'm just gonna drop it and try to recover some of my equilibrium.

Don't drop it, drop them.

double negative posted:

It's not really about defending Trump, it's a visceral reaction to race being an actual topic of discussion and an anxiety about white people becoming a persecuted, despised group.

Because they know they've earned it. That's the only reason people react like guilty people do.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
They were thinking of doing a Civil War Museum here but now they're not so sure because apparently the fuckers with confederate flags on their trucks that like to hang out in the parking lot are scaring people away.

Basically racists ruin everything even things racists like.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

negromancer posted:

Don't drop it, drop them.

They're definitely dropped. This isn't just a normal election where the other side does some stuff disagree with. It's troubling to me that I could misjudge so many folks and our relationship, though.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

I used to live in a city named after the founder of the KKK so I basically feel like Dave Chappelle in that election w/ white people skit on SNL

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

The thing I fear is that white people have just learned all the wrong lessons from this. I want them to realize how strong white supremacy is, but all people seem to be doing is doubling down on Democratic party internal politics, which I guess helps, but doesn't really get at the root of the problem.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Morby posted:

They're definitely dropped. This isn't just a normal election where the other side does some stuff disagree with. It's troubling to me that I could misjudge so many folks and our relationship, though.

If you want to try discussing systematic oppression in the future a popular video that can show how it exists is brown eye/blue eye experiment. There are bunch more if you search on youtube "Jane Elliott, Brown Eye Blue Eye Experiment".

Nude fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Nov 16, 2016

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

blackguy32 posted:

Sickle Cell

So I have a question for you.

I was talking to my white Canadian friend about the election and politics and we started talking about the nature of fascism, white nationalism, etc. That kind of thing isn't really so common in Canada, or at least not so loud, so he was very confused. So I was discussing race as a fiction, why people are white supremacist, and the reason why "white identity" is bad but minority identities aren't. And I said something to the effect of, there's no meaningful differences between an Italian guy and a German guy, just as much as there's no difference between an Italian guy and a black guy. It's just a label based on appearances and national origins.

Then I was like, well I guess there's sickle cell. I have no clue why that is a thing though.

I vaguely recall hearing about it being related to malaria but it seems very... :biotruths: to me. So I would like to know if you could explain why Sickle Cell is more common in black people to me as if I were an idiot. :)

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

So I have a question for you.

I was talking to my white Canadian friend about the election and politics and we started talking about the nature of fascism, white nationalism, etc. That kind of thing isn't really so common in Canada, or at least not so loud, so he was very confused. So I was discussing race as a fiction, why people are white supremacist, and the reason why "white identity" is bad but minority identities aren't. And I said something to the effect of, there's no meaningful differences between an Italian guy and a German guy, just as much as there's no difference between an Italian guy and a black guy. It's just a label based on appearances and national origins.

Then I was like, well I guess there's sickle cell. I have no clue why that is a thing though.

I vaguely recall hearing about it being related to malaria but it seems very... :biotruths: to me. So I would like to know if you could explain why Sickle Cell is more common in black people to me as if I were an idiot. :)

Sickle cells gives heterozygous advantage to those who live in regions where malaria is prevalent like the tropics and, you guessed it, Africa.

quote:

Through a series of genetic experiments, Ana Ferreira was able to show that the main player in this protective effect is heme oxygenase-1 (HO-1), an enzyme whose expression is strongly induced by sickle hemoglobin. This enzyme, that produces the gas carbon monoxide, had been previously shown by the laboratory of Miguel Soares to confer protection against cerebral malaria. In the process of dissecting further this mechanism of protection Ana Ferreira demonstrated that when produced in response to sickle hemoglobin the same gas, carbon monoxide, protected the infected host from succumbing to cerebral malaria without interfering with the life cycle of the parasite inside its red blood cells.

Miguel Soares and his team believe that the mechanism they have identified for sickle cell trait may be a general mechanism acting in other red blood cell genetic diseases that are also know to protect against malaria in human populations: "Due to its protective effect against malaria, the sickle mutation may have been naturally selected in sub-Saharan Africa, where malaria is endemic and one of the major causes of death. Similarly, other clinically silent mutations may have been selected throughout evolution, for their ability to provide survival advantage against Plasmodium infection."

There is nothing that connects race or skin tone to this trait. It's simply an inherited trait that developed in regions where malaria is. You would be ignorant to think that only white people can have cystic fibrosis or Tay-Sachs disease in Ashkenazi Jews.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Rick_Hunter posted:

Sickle cells gives heterozygous advantage to those who live in regions where malaria is prevalent like the tropics and, you guessed it, Africa.

There is nothing that connects race or skin tone to this trait. It's simply an inherited trait that developed in regions where malaria is. You would be ignorant to think that only white people can have cystic fibrosis or Tay-Sachs disease in Ashkenazi Jews.

I'm not sure I completely understood the quote but I got the gist of "it's because of malaria." I would never have thought to connect cystic fibrosis to white people. My high school bio teacher's son has that disease and told us about it. Thank you for the explanation!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Lightning Knight posted:

I'm not sure I completely understood the quote but I got the gist of "it's because of malaria." I would never have thought to connect cystic fibrosis to white people. My high school bio teacher's son has that disease and told us about it. Thank you for the explanation!

Sickled red blood cells are... well... sickle shaped and thus tend to pop a lot earlier than normal red blood cells. This is normally bad cause it means you run low on blood faster than normal people.

However, malaria is a parasite that infects red blood cells. If it infects a sickled red blood cell, the red blood cell will usually pop before the malaria can fully grow and dies as well. The problem is that you can get two copies of the sickle cell gene and that leads to all your blood being sickle shape, which is a lot worse for your mortality than the malaria protection can make up for.

Since the mutation started in Africa and Africa is one of the main centres of malaria in the world, that's why a lot of black people have it. There's sickle cell in India as well but that's because Africans made their way over there and the heterozygous (partially sickled blood cell) people had malaria protection.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

The quote was more to show that there's a mechanism underlying sickle cell's ability to prevent malaria. It isn't just because the malaria parasite can't infect sickle cells.

But the main point is that regardless of the human construct 'race', the trait developed because it gave an advantage where the benefits of being resistant to malaria outweighed the risks of having a child with full sickle cell anemia. Therefore, the people that were resistant (HbS/HbW) survived to reproduce better than those that were HbW/HbW or HbS/HbS (W = Wild type, S = Sickle cell).

Here's a paper (which I'm sure people never really followed up on :rolleyes:) about Sicily.

Ragusa et al. posted:

African admixture in Sicily has been long suspected because of the presence of the sickle gene. Nevertheless, the degree of African admixture cannot be derived from the study of HbS frequency, since this gene was most likely expanded by the selective pressure of malaria, for a long time endemic to the region. We have examined 142 individuals from the Sicilian town of Butera (12% sickle trait) to search for other markers of the globin gene cluster less likely to be selected for by malaria. The TaqI polymorphism in the intervening sequences between the two gamma genes is informative. We have found only two instances of this African marker (TaqI(-)) among 267 normal chromosomes, demonstrating that the admixture occurred at a much lower level than previously thought.

Basically, the researchers are suggesting that the sickle cell trait developed independent of race and instead developed because of selective pressure of the environment.

Rick_Hunter fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Nov 16, 2016

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Eej posted:

Sickled red blood cells are... well... sickle shaped and thus tend to pop a lot earlier than normal red blood cells. This is normally bad cause it means you run low on blood faster than normal people.

However, malaria is a parasite that infects red blood cells. If it infects a sickled red blood cell, the red blood cell will usually pop before the malaria can fully grow and dies as well. The problem is that you can get two copies of the sickle cell gene and that leads to all your blood being sickle shape, which is a lot worse for your mortality than the malaria protection can make up for.

No, it's not because of the sickle shape, the text I linked above is one potential mechanism that prevents the malaria parasite from spreading.

Here's another:

http://www.nature.com/news/sickle-cell-mystery-solved-1.9342

Eej posted:

Since the mutation started in Africa and Africa is one of the main centres of malaria in the world, that's why a lot of black people have it. There's sickle cell in India as well but that's because Africans made their way over there and the heterozygous (partially sickled blood cell) people had malaria protection.
Also not necessarily true.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Rick_Hunter posted:

The quote was more to show that there's a mechanism underlying sickle cell's ability to prevent malaria. It isn't just because the malaria parasite can't infect sickle cells.

But the main point is that regardless of the human construct 'race', the trait developed because it gave an advantage where the benefits of being resistant to malaria outweighed the risks of having a child with full sickle cell anemia. Therefore, the people that were resistant (HbS/HbW) survived to reproduce better than those that were HbW/HbW or HbS/HbS (W = Wild type, S = Sickle cell).

Here's a paper (which I'm sure people never really followed up on :rolleyes:) about Sicily.

Basically, the researchers are suggesting that the sickle cell trait developed independent of race and instead developed because of selective pressure of the environment.

Ok, that makes sense. That also sounds familiar, I think I was just suspicious of people connecting biology to race the last time I heard about this.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

The problem for the DNC now is that they have to convince the moderate white person why the GOP is so terrible without alienating them. If you call them out for being spineless pussies they get all pissy and refuse to vote for you, so it feels as if they are going to have to tip toe around the subject and instead argue that the GOPs policies are bad for the white middle/lower class as well, but it's so frustrating that the GOPs racism is being tolerated to such a degree.

Or maybe I'm wrong. Maybe they do need o scream bloody murder, in the hopes enough people wake the gently caress up and smell the fire. But when you tell white people that A), they do in fact enjoy white privilege, and B), Poc are still systematically discriminated against, they get defensive, partially because they see it as an attack (that you're calling them racist) and also partially because they feel you are cheapening their achievements (I worked hard to get where I am/I am dirt poor, I never got any advantages by being white for middleclass/lowerclass respectively)

But as a white person, the only thing you can do yourself is to call out people around you who support racism, either by inaction and passivity or outright voting for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Did anyone else learn about sickle cell in school as part of basic genetics? I guess our textbook writers thought it was more interesting than bean flowers and cleft chins.

Actually a better question, is there any effort towards, or benefit to doing genetic screening for sickle cell on potential parents, similar to how some Jewish communities will screen for Tay-Sachs?

• Locked thread