Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

GreenMarine posted:

I'm still waiting on my Commodore pledge. Are they still being sent out?

Ya, they are, I have not gotten anything yet either. Someone on facebook that works or something for a retailer said battleships will be out next weekend and that Hawk said almost all of the pledges should be out by then...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Double Post a couple days later but someone on the facebook now said the Battleships have been pushed to December 2nd. In personal good news I finally got some shipping info.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In other news someone on the kickstarter comments seriously suggested that Hawk mutilate themselves as an apology.

Don't read the kickstarter comments.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Facebook's calmed down, actually. I was starting to follow the community again.

Loxbourne fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 16, 2016

_Gumby
Sep 14, 2005
Fun Shoe
My 2 player starter pack just got delivered. Is it worth magnetising everything, or should I just glue the two recommended starter fleets together and play with those?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

_Gumby posted:

My 2 player starter pack just got delivered. Is it worth magnetising everything, or should I just glue the two recommended starter fleets together and play with those?

The recommended build is pretty decent for the UCM in my opinion. The scourge is... alright? I'm not a super fan of the Ifrit, but the Shenlong is scary.
I guess it depends on how many ships you eventually want to buy versus the effort to magnetize them. You will probably want to stick with the same class since magnetizing the "wings" of the UCM and the scourge ships would be a pain, but the under slung turrets and mouth pieces shouldn't be too bad.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

LordAba posted:

Don't read the kickstarter comments.

I peered into the abyss...

It's hilarious. I mean, I'm a bit annoyed that I haven't gotten my package yet, but I'm not going off the deep end, either. I see everything from "write to Hawk by post! They can ignore email but they can't ignore a letter in the mail!" to an apparently popular conspiracy theory of "Do you know what's on retail shelves? OUR PLEDGES!" Yeah, I'm writing that off...

Loxbourne posted:

Facebook's calmed down, actually. I was starting to follow the community again.

Only because the mod actually decided to be a mod and trim the bad comments out. There's still a new thread every day of "Who still hasn't received anything?" like they're trying to perform a scientific poll to discover their number in line.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

I'm assuming that I will get the shipping information any day now with delivery next week. Not based on other people freaking out or anything, but because I am going to be out of town the entire week and I really wanted to take the rulebook with me.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Good to see that UCM continuing the trend of flattening the gently caress out of houses. Saw a proxied Tokyo today and that thing cleared a game up like nobodies business. Brutal battleship.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, I'm really on the fence about Madrids for lower point games. On the one hand, hell yes bombardment. On the other hand...a San Francisco is only ~50% more expensive...

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I really like the Madrid. I start including one around 999pts. They're really good because they're so cheap.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

_Gumby posted:

I looked at magnetising my PHR and realised I would need to piss about with at least 8 1mm magnets per ship.

Then I just started gluing stuff in.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
The damned flu has slowed progress on the painting table this week but I have finally done my first hull marking test.

My feeling is that the turquoise I am using is too dark. What do you guys think?

Also I need to practice with masking off, it isn't as crisp as I had hoped. I can clean it up by hand but I'm more likely to cock it up if I keep doing that I think.

The other thing is that I am still not sure if I should be doing something different with the grey panels on the fins. I haven't done any highlights yet so I might be overthinking this.

Ugleb fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 16, 2016

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

By turquoise, you mean the base coat? Because the color scheme there looks pretty good and would pop on the table, but I could see going a little lighter on the broad swathes of the hill to make the stripes stand out more. You could also get away with red stripes if the hill has that blue or turquoise tint to it, without getting into the flag color problem we discussed before.

Also, if you wanted to get fancy you could do one of the stripes in green or red (possibly to delineate squadrons or battle groups, possibly by ship class, possibly for admirals, or just randomly for fun).

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

The stripes are 'Vallejo Game Color Hawk Turquoise'. The hull is VGC Stonewall Grey and the innards are Vallejo Model Color Gunmetal Blue. The bronze is VGC Bright Bronze.

My thinking is to do different marking patterns for each ship class, but keeping to a fairly uniform colour. I don't have it set in stone yet, if masking turns out to be harder than expected I might switch stripe colours up instead.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

How are you masking? I tried to use masking tape to do some on my UCM cruisers but doubt it difficult to cut the tape without cutting the model. But I've never done any masking before, so would appreciate advice.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Cut the tape before putting it on the model?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I am using that blue line tape stuff, I think it is used on cars. I got three rolls of varying thickness for something like £5 I think.

I am cutting out short lengths onto my cutting board then positioning them on the model. I probably need to figure out which order to lay them down for best results.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

My Dropfleet Commander KS box arrived today.

Now I need to find someone local to buy the second 2 player starter box Hawk screwed me with.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

My Dropfleet Commander KS box arrived today.

Now I need to find someone local to buy the second 2 player starter box Hawk screwed me with.

How'd they screw you?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

TTerrible posted:

How'd they screw you?

I wanted to back Commodore, but couldn't quite afford it at the KS deadline, so I backed Captain intending on upgrading to Commodore in the pledge manager, simple thing that I've done on almost every minis project I've backed on KS.

Then for reasons known by few, understood by fewer, they refused to allow pledge upgrades in the pm, leaving me - someone who wanted Shaltari and PHR, with a handful of UCM and Scourge that came as free stretch goal unlocks - stuck with UCM and Scourge, with the handful of Shaltari and PHR that came as free stretch goal unlocks.

Hawk made an incredibly bad decision, and I remain vastly displeased with them over it.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Nov 18, 2016

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Why would you pledge for a level you didn't want with the intention of changing it later? Seems an odd thing to do.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Serotonin posted:

Why would you pledge for a level you didn't want with the intention of changing it later? Seems an odd thing to do.

It's not odd, it's normal on kickstarter, especially when you gate certain stretch goals behind certain pledge levels like they did - for money reasons, holding out for renders over sketches or proofs over renders, etc. Hawk botched it big time.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Nov 18, 2016

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Ah that's pretty lovely :( are you in the U.K.? I backed commodore and for some reason picked shaltari that I don't want. Willing to swap for UCM/PHR sprue for sprue.

Would a DFC swap thread be good?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I'm in Australia, which makes life difficult.

Quick question, are the battlecruisers just resin alternative parts you attack to normal cruiser bits on an extra sprue they sent? Because otherwise all my battlecruisers are missing parts.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

I'm in Australia, which makes life difficult.

Quick question, are the battlecruisers just resin alternative parts you attack to normal cruiser bits on an extra sprue they sent? Because otherwise all my battlecruisers are missing parts.

Yeah mine all came as plastic cruiser sprues (two for the scourge one I think?) with resin parts bundled in a bag.

Ah, trades are out then. :(

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Cheers.

I had hoped to be able to just swap the 2 player starter for a PHR and Shaltari starter fleet, but the starter fleets are $60.29 AUD each retail, and the 2 player starter is only $97.49, so there's really no way out of this screwing, unless I trade it for two $45 battleships, but who is going to want to bother doing that?

:sigh: at least the t shirt fits, if a little on the large side

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008
I have a package from Hawk Wargames. I can't even remember what was in my pledge but the box weighs 10kg.

:getin:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Game trip report, Bombardment is the tits, the Tokyo is a good battleship y'all.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Cruiser progress! Just 4 more to go!

2 x Icarus and 2x Orion

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
That's a lot of heavy cruisers.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Nice herd of space whales man.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

It's too bad you're in Australia, because if you were US I would gladly take the spare UCM and Scourge off your hands.

Also I am really sad my pledge hasn't shipped yet. Apparently adding stuff in the pledge manager was a terrible idea? I only did it once, but I can't think of any other reason my commodore pledge would be so delayed.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Arcturas posted:

Also I am really sad my pledge hasn't shipped yet. Apparently adding stuff in the pledge manager was a terrible idea? I only did it once, but I can't think of any other reason my commodore pledge would be so delayed.

I did it twice, I'm expecting to be literally the last pledge shipped.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Arcturas posted:

It's too bad you're in Australia, because if you were US I would gladly take the spare UCM and Scourge off your hands.

Not sure if that's it- I added stuff and mine arrived a few weeks ago...

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008
The 10kg box was crammed solidly with sprues and two rulebooks. I have a much better understanding of why their staff sustained back issues through packing all this stuff. The sprues look really solid and high quality and the size of the ships was a surprise to me despite that information probably available for a long time. I'm a patient sort so this has been one of the better gaming kickstarters I've experienced although the ridiculous drama was entertaining.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, the drama is remarkably silly. Obviously I am frustrated a little, but it's not that big of a deal. And honestly I would rather have Hawk shipping to brick and mortar and shipping battleships asap! That would help grow the game and keep it healthier over a longer timeframe, which is way more important to me than getting my plastic space boats a few months earlier. (It helps that I have a few from splitting a different order with a friend.)

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I played a game with the Scourge this time. I lost but they're hilariously killy. Get shot to poo poo running up to the enemy while screaming but if you live you then melt their face off with buckets of Scalding weaponry :getin:

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
^^^ Silent running friend. Silent running.

Arcturas posted:

Yeah, the drama is remarkably silly. Obviously I am frustrated a little, but it's not that big of a deal. And honestly I would rather have Hawk shipping to brick and mortar and shipping battleships asap! That would help grow the game and keep it healthier over a longer timeframe, which is way more important to me than getting my plastic space boats a few months earlier. (It helps that I have a few from splitting a different order with a friend.)

It sucks that not everybody has there stuff and I think it is a wakeup call to Hawk for the next time they do something this massive, but the guys are generally good guys. They held out on there promise of getting things to people for as long as they could (guess who they probably signed a contract with...) and the products are good with the extras being a nice bonus. They are shipping, just not that fast. Which is fine with me.

I mean gently caress the bastards they should mutilate themselves and give me a full refund! How am I going to flip this kickstarter on ebay and make money when it is already up at retail!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
So, I've written up a scenario for using the Princess liner. Partly inspired by that bit in BSG when the Galactica jumps into the atmosphere, crossed with the idea of Armed Merchant Cruisers.

Basically it's a one shot insertion of a reasonably sized force by the attacking player, balanced with an occupied station for the defender.

Write up is here: https://1drv.ms/w/s!AroX04pj9s2OiE-yGNAvp-3w9Nm5

Thoughts/ comments etc?