Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
If it's north america, you can't go wrong with a potato or macaroni salad. Not just for summer! But if you want to be festive, anything sweet potato reheats fantastic in the oven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
These are sweet potatoes that you can pass off as either a side or a dessert (but really, dessert, they are so drat sweet)

http://www.the-girl-who-ate-everything.com/2010/11/sweet-potatoes-ruths-chris-style.html

You can do this all ahead of time up through step 4, let it cool and fridge it for a day or so. Then, day of, take it on your trip, top with the pecans and finish it in the oven for 10-30 minutes depending on how cold it is. I bring this year after year and it is always gone by the end of the night.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

My man's getting his wisdom teeth pulled next friday. Anyone have tasty recipes for soup etc that can be blended down super smooth (I have a vitamix)?

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

M42 posted:

My man's getting his wisdom teeth pulled next friday. Anyone have tasty recipes for soup etc that can be blended down super smooth (I have a vitamix)?

Vichyssoise! Vichyssoise! Vichysoisse! This soup literally sustained me when I got mine out. This recipe has some pretty weird typos, but will serve you fine:
http://www.food.com/recipe/potato-leek-soup-vichyssoise-492542

Basically, sautee a bunch of leeks down (not browning them), add a bunch of potatoes and some stock, boil it all up, then blend until silky smooth with some heavy cream. It can be served cold, for achy, tender mouths, though I do prefer it warm. it's filling and very satisfying, and requires no mouthy efforts at all. It keeps like a champ and reheats easy as can be. My mom made a huge pot of this for my brother and me when we got our teeths out, the whole family enjoyed it!

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I just got a Costco membership to pick up a new vacuum. Are there any food essentials at Costco that are significantly cheaper? The only thing I saw was beef and pork. I can get chicken and seafood for the same price down the road. Most of the branded stuff seems like it's only down to being store brand prices. It might be different for me because it's ten miles away rather than 1/2 or 4 miles away.

The roasted chickens, the hot dog/pizza concession, and pretty much the entire bakery, is sold at no profit. The apple pie is amazing, and it feeds like 12 people.

We buy a lot cheese there: cabot 5 year cheddar is cheaper there then anyplace else (by far), Kirkland branded Manchego, and really good pre-ground romano. There is also a pre-sliced provalone that we love, it's sharp, stinky, and perfect on sandwiches.
We also buy all of our whole-bean coffee there, and cranberry juice. Number 10 cans of kickass tomatoes for like four bucks. We buy a lot of veggies, there too: the Mrs is particularly fond of the big bags of greens.

The meats are good, but since I'm the only meat eater in the house, the giant packages are not my friend (unless the freezer is totally empty)

We probably spend about 35% of our monthly grocery bill at CostCo, plus I buy 100% of my toiletries and cleaning supplies there, too.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I had thought about the coffee last night after I left. The roast chicken was good, and I got a couple spaghetti squash for what I think was a good price.

I remember the cheese being a good price, I'm just trying to keep the grocery bill way down so I don't want to buy too much.

Unfortunately my wife thought the squash tossed with salt and olive oil was too rich. Is there anything else I can do with the spaghetti squash that's lighter? It's weird, she says she likes squash, I thought that was all rich.

We've got a Sprouts, which is like a Trader Joe's but cheaper, I'll look for more types of squash there. They also tend to have cheap produce, which is part of why I never used to use my old membership. Now it's on the way home from work, so it's more convenient.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Kirkland is also one of the brands of olive oil that was proven to be real olive oil, IIRC.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Micomicona posted:

Vichyssoise! Vichyssoise! Vichysoisse! This soup literally sustained me when I got mine out. This recipe has some pretty weird typos, but will serve you fine:
http://www.food.com/recipe/potato-leek-soup-vichyssoise-492542

An excellent choice. One bit of advice: ladling hot soup into a blender or food processor is messy and unpleasant, this is when the stick blender shines.

Soups with micropastas like acini de pepe and pastina are also good, you get the "yay, I'm eating solid foods" feeling. Just rinse well and make sure nothing gets stuck in the sockets.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

M42 posted:

Gerblyn posted:

I made this roasted swede(rutabaga?) soup recently, and it was great:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/creamroastedswedesou_79761

:shobon:

So, my girlfriend took over the Kimchi duty, and I think we're using the wrong type of chili. In the video, the woman uses a red powder, and she adds 2 cups of it for 3 cabbages. The powder makes the pickling sauce quite thick, letting it stick to the leaves and dying everything red. We're using chili flakes though, so they didn't thicken the sauce, we're also not using anywhere near as much, since adding 2/3 of a cup of these chili flakes to one cabbage would make them literally inedible. We do have something sat in the fridge right now, but it's the wrong color and I'm worried that the pickling liquid won't properly adhere to the leaves, and will mess up the fermentation process...

Am I worried about nothing here? Is there some action I can take to try and fix this?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Kirkland is also one of the brands of olive oil that was proven to be real olive oil, IIRC.

Wait, have companies been getting away with putting out olive oil with the only ingredient listed being olive oil, and then it not actually being olive oil? I thought it was cheap stuff being labeled olive oil and then there being other ingredients listed on the label. Like brown sugar being sugar and brown food coloring.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Wait, have companies been getting away with putting out olive oil with the only ingredient listed being olive oil, and then it not actually being olive oil? I thought it was cheap stuff being labeled olive oil and then there being other ingredients listed on the label. Like brown sugar being sugar and brown food coloring.

Italy has been having severe problems with counterfeit food products. Apparently, MOST of the exported "olive oil" is either adulterated or completely faked.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Same thing with multiple origin oils, like from several countries around the Mediterranean.

Gerblyn posted:

So, my girlfriend took over the Kimchi duty, and I think we're using the wrong type of chili. In the video, the woman uses a red powder, and she adds 2 cups of it for 3 cabbages. The powder makes the pickling sauce quite thick, letting it stick to the leaves and dying everything red. We're using chili flakes though, so they didn't thicken the sauce, we're also not using anywhere near as much, since adding 2/3 of a cup of these chili flakes to one cabbage would make them literally inedible. We do have something sat in the fridge right now, but it's the wrong color and I'm worried that the pickling liquid won't properly adhere to the leaves, and will mess up the fermentation process...

Am I worried about nothing here? Is there some action I can take to try and fix this?

For one, the "chile flakes" you should be using are in fact a powder. It helps to use the right stuff. If you want to use western style flaked chile, though, use as much as you want and add some glutinous rice flour to the mix for thickening.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

For one, the "chile flakes" you should be using are in fact a powder. It helps to use the right stuff. If you want to use western style flaked chile, though, use as much as you want and add some glutinous rice flour to the mix for thickening.

Yeah... that one might have been my fault, I offhandedly said something like "I'd use pizzeria pepper flakes instead" in response to a question about using gochujang for kimchi. If I couldn't find gochugaru, that's what I'd go to.

e: different pepper isn't going to ruin the recipe, as long as the salt gets into it and stays there it should be fine. If you're worried about it, leave it for two days and eat it as fresh kimchi, I'm sure it will be delicious.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 12, 2016

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Well, we'll just have to see I guess! It pickling sauce did taste okay, so I'm sure we'll end up with something edible at least :)

We did use Rice Flour, as per the recipe, but I'm not sure if it's Glutinous Rice Flour, the package doesn't say. I tried to ask the guy in the store, but didn't get very far. Buying obscure ingredients in the Netherlands is always tricky, the language barrier being what it is. For example, when I was buying the pickling salt, I slightly mispronounced "Pure Salt" (Zuiver Zout) as "Baking Soda" (Zuiveringszout), which could also have led to disaster if we hadn't noticed in time.

Anyways, now I look at the description of what Gochugaru is, I'm wondering if a mix of Smoked Paprika and Cayenne might be a good substitute. The former gives the flavor, the latter gives the heat.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 12, 2016

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

22 Eargesplitten posted:

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2016/08/olive-oil-fake-larry-olmsted-food-fraud-usda

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
I'm putting the finishing touches on my Thanksgiving menu and the one thing nagging at me is that I don't have a great idea for finger food for the first couple of guests that show up before the meal really gets started. I want something kind of light because last year I did stuffed mushrooms and people ended up filling up on those before I even started putting out the giant platters of food for the actual meal, but in a shaming indictment of my character the only appetizers I know tend to be fried, loaded with cheese or otherwise pretty substantial. Does anyone have any suggestions?

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Not really traditional but I've had great success with bruschetta with tomato, basil, and garlic toppings. Here's a lazy google search result. http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/bruschetta_with_tomato_and_basil/

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I'm putting the finishing touches on my Thanksgiving menu and the one thing nagging at me is that I don't have a great idea for finger food for the first couple of guests that show up before the meal really gets started. I want something kind of light because last year I did stuffed mushrooms and people ended up filling up on those before I even started putting out the giant platters of food for the actual meal, but in a shaming indictment of my character the only appetizers I know tend to be fried, loaded with cheese or otherwise pretty substantial. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Puff pastry with caramelized onion & a little cream cheese.

Roasted, spiced chickpeas.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Gerblyn posted:

It's most important for the fermentation that the salt brings out the liquid in the cabbage and submerges it. You should push down the kimchi so that the cabbage leaves are submerged in their own liquid. After that, everything should be more or less ok!

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
This is really weird. I cannot find the classic hot wing recipe anywhere. Wtf happened, internets?

I remember it is franks + butter and fried wings, but I do not remember the frying temp or butter to sauce ratio. Anyone know?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

375, half and half

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Mr. Wiggles posted:

375, half and half

Thx

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Nm

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
Any ideas for using up a lot of egg whites? I've been making ice cream and so I've been using a lot of yolks and struggling to use the whites. Things I can make ahead of time are a plus.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Meringue. Also angel food cake.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

revmoo posted:

This is really weird. I cannot find the classic hot wing recipe anywhere. Wtf happened, internets?

I remember it is franks + butter and fried wings, but I do not remember the frying temp or butter to sauce ratio. Anyone know?

also flour the wings before frying

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Mr. Wiggles posted:

375, half and half

I've been using franks wing sauce or sweet baby rays wing sauce. Hell I'll do half of them with sweet baby rays BBQ sauce for people that don't want "hot"

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Invisible Ted posted:

Any ideas for using up a lot of egg whites? I've been making ice cream and so I've been using a lot of yolks and struggling to use the whites. Things I can make ahead of time are a plus.

You could make some Macaron.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Made a pork roast tonight, accompanied with gravy from home made chicken stock with pork bits and roast pork pan juices (including dark german wheat beer). Very porky.

I have a ton of gravy leftover. What do? Would it pair well with ground beef for a chickeny-porky-beefy meat pie?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Dump it over biscuits for breakfast. (yes I know it's not the right kind of gravy, but it could still work)

The chicken might get lost in "a chickeny-porky-beefy meat pie", but yes, pork and beef play just fine together.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

I've got this Archer Farms Tikka Masala sauce and I'm wondering what the best way to go about using it is--I bought it because it says it's a simmer sauce but the back seems to imply that all you do is heat it up. Anyone know how this would work if I threw it and some chicken into a slow cooker?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You would have slow cooked chicken that tasted like that sauce.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You will likely want to cook separately some onions, garlic, ginger, tomatoes, carrots, chicken or w/e then add that and bring to a simmer.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I got some lentils from the local Indian grocer, Val Dal by the label. After some research, they seemed to need some more cooking time than your typical quick-cooking lentils as they are apparently split fava beans or something. Made a soup with some kale and carrots and the lentils came out essentially liquified after some time in the pressure cooker, which surprised me a bit since I didn't think they'd cook that quickly.

Anyway, how long do these things take to cook in a regular pot on a stovetop, and also in a pressure cooker? I'm just looking for them to be cooked through and edible, not dissolved into mush like I did with them.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Ciaphas posted:

My favored snack right now is shredded, oven baked sharp cheddar cheese crisps. Just ran out of cheddar blocks though. Anyone tried this with any other cheeses they'd recommend?

Oh, man, parmesan is the answer. Just make sure to get the real deal, even powdered is fine, just as long as it isn't coated in cornstarch/anti-caking poo poo. I love cheese crisps (even just cooking slices in a pan.....), but parm is the king of crisps!

Bob Saget IRL
Oct 24, 2014

So im trying a turkey for the first time; 25lb bird for thanksgiving. I was thinking of doing Alton Browns brine recipe. Any thoughts, tips or recommendations?

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

revmoo posted:

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Buffalo_Wings_with_Blue_Cheese_Dressing

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Bob Saget IRL posted:

So im trying a turkey for the first time; 25lb bird for thanksgiving. I was thinking of doing Alton Browns brine recipe. Any thoughts, tips or recommendations?

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/11/how-to-spatchcock-cook-turkey-thanksgiving-fast-easy-way-spatchcocked-slideshow.html

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I made too many greek lemon potato wedges tonight to go with my souvlaki/salad - what should I make to go with them tomorrow? I was thinking of grabbing some kielbasa but would welcome some other suggestions for how to otherwise use them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I made an awesome teriyaki chicken and mushroom tonight, will the mushrooms wilt or get nasty if I store them as leftovers :ohdear:

Also is there a recommended recipe book or website for single person cooking? All these recipes assume I'm a family man or am fine eating the same thing 6 times a week :saddowns: