Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

A friend works for a professional pressure washing company (he builds the trucks they use) and they have washers that can be set up to 6000 psi water that is also heated to a point that it would just be steam if it wasn't under so much pressure. Those things will take the chrome off the bumpers of semi's. They normally use a much lower setting, and I have no idea what they would use that sort of pressure for, unless it's cleaning off concrete or purposely stripping paint off of shipping containers or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

steady posted:

Did he ever realize it's possible to wash off grime or other dirt with less pressure? He sounds like someone who could never have enough pressure to wash stuff.

*turns washer up to 6000*

never clean enough never clean enough never clean enough never clean enough....

Illegal Alienation
Mar 2, 2016

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

:neckbeard:

My stepdad tried his hand at a power washing business, and had the regulator on his machine set at 4000 PSI. I mean.. the hoses said they were good for 4000 PSI, therefore they should be able to take it, right?! :downsgun:

Goodyear stopped warranting hoses for him, he was blowing them several times a month (and oh boy a ruptured hose whipping around with a beefy trailer-mounted power washing machine behind it is no fun). They were rated up to 4000 PSI. Problem is, you get quite a surge if you slam the trigger shut, before the regulator kicks in, and of course being a fully mechanical regulator, it's not like it was set to EXACTLY 4000 PSI. And yeah.... he peeled the skin back on his hand with it once.

He also kept peeling the paint right off of.. well, everything he tried to wash. Even peeled the stripes off of parking lots. :stonk:

Sounds like a tough son of a bitch. I'm over here moaning after being maimed with what I'll assume was roughly half the psi. I honestly didn't even feel it happen, and the pain didn't kick in until a while later. That said, the pain was only a 2 out of 10, with 10 as having stepped on a landmine while being crushed by a tank and eviscerated pain scale index, or a 10 out of 10 according the pain scale index utilized by my patients.

My toe still works, but the same can't be said for Metal Geir Skogul's hand thanks to an errant O2 regulator at work today. Worst ouchie we saw all day on this boo boo bus.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I'm fed up with the driver's side CV axle. It loosened all six bolts again, even cleaned and with red loctite gel.

Just spent $30 on nord locks.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I'm fed up with the driver's side CV axle. It loosened all six bolts again, even cleaned and with red loctite gel.

Just spent $30 on nord locks.

Wouldn't safety lock-wire work in that orientation?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yeah, though it'd be a pain in the dick, less than constantly fixing it I guess.

Can I drill new bolts?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Yeah, though it'd be a pain in the dick, less than constantly fixing it I guess.

Can I drill new bolts?

You can get washer thinguses which let you use safety wire with non-drilled bolts. Motorcycle racers love 'em.

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/910-159

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Looks like those require hex bolts, these tend to be cap screws. And with how aggressive these are loosening, I wonder if they'll hold. But thanks for linking them - I didn't know those existed and there are a few things I think I could use them for.

Hey, this is an excuse to get a drill press!

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Looks like those require hex bolts, these tend to be cap screws. And with how aggressive these are loosening, I wonder if they'll hold. But thanks for linking them - I didn't know those existed and there are a few things I think I could use them for.

Hey, this is an excuse to get a drill press!

Do they have to be cap screws? Can you not swap to hex heads with lock tabs?

Looks like you can also buy drilled head cap screws if you were so inclined and wanted to wire them

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Maybe the holes the bolts thread into are all hogged out from being rattled loose a million times and need to be helicoiled or the part replaced? Spitballing ideas here

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah if red loctite isn't doing the job, time to look elsewhere for the cause.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I need to get out of this loving city.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
People are awful. What was the take?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Literally just the camera. Used a rock, smashed the corner with the camera, and literally ripped the end off of the camera charging cable.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Oh and also hosed up the sliding door handle by trying to pry it upwards. It opens by pushing down, but I get it.

gently caress this bus gently caress my life this is the second one in a year (other one was on the beetle). I'm going to dump all of this and buy a loving forester or something holy poo poo I hate people so much right now.

Give me a goddamned reason.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
There goes 175 goddamned dollars that I don't have but I can't afford to have the window broken out for any longer than the minimum necessary to get it in the mail.

The debt deepens.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
It looks like just a flat piece; would it cost that much to just get a glass place to cut you something to size?

I understand the frustration; my car has been vandalized and stolen on different occasions and it really does feel like you've been violated. :(

I'm sure the guy will get what's coming to him in the end, and it's worth owning interesting vehicles despite the heartbreak when these things happen. Sorry, dude.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Raluek posted:

It looks like just a flat piece; would it cost that much to just get a glass place to cut you something to size?

I understand the frustration; my car has been vandalized and stolen on different occasions and it really does feel like you've been violated. :(

I'm sure the guy will get what's coming to him in the end, and it's worth owning interesting vehicles despite the heartbreak when these things happen. Sorry, dude.

Tempered safety glass can't really be cut.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Tempered safety glass can't really be cut.

Oh yeah, safety glass. Dang, forgot about that. Could go lexan as a temporary fix, then fix it properly once you have a bit more money?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The taped up window fell out (inwards) overnight. Hmmmm but nothing stolen.

I don't have the time to fix it, but I have a 3 day drill fri-sun and I guarantee it won't be in by Thursday. So, how to keep it covered. Tape? I hate adhesive

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Man that loving sucks :( Adhesive sucks, what about long 1x3s and clamps? Or strip magnets? To hold sheet plastic in place, that is.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Home depot sells sheet metal, or go cut the roof off a car at the yard, trim it to fit and panel van that bitch. people loving *suck*.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Maybe a cut to fit bit of cardboard, on the outer lip, with screws through it to a but of wood behind the inner lip, clamping it in.

Bonus is I can cut that tonight when I get home at 0200 without waking the neighbors.

E: didn't see your post about the sheet metal, that works, too. But I can't shop at work and I'm on 1300-0100. A duct-tape covered piece of cardboard with a horizontal wood bit might fool the weekend tweakers, hopefully.

Or panel van with aluminum. That would afford a lot more privacy...

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 15, 2016

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Thinking more and more about panel vanning it. Instead of welding and bondo though, using the new window as an expensive template, and cutting steel or thicker aluminum sheet, and installing it with the stock rubber molding. I could also cut vents or tiny camera holes, too.

Buddy did get me a patch for my jacket, though, so today's not 100% poo poo

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 16, 2016

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Where can I buy about a thousand of that awesome patch?

e: don't panel it - visibility and a cool breeze are critical to enjoyment IMO

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
What about Lexan? That poo poo is pretty easy to cut and you could even get one of those cool slidey-vents.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Scratches? And for Lexan, I'd have to build a frame. The existing windows don't open. I was thinking, install with the rubber strips like standard.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Nov 16, 2016

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Tentative plan: aluminum cut to shape with the replacement window as a template. For windows/ventilation... portholes? Or similar. Paint aluminum white, install using the stock rubber. If I desire, small camera hole. Provides additional piracy, unbreakable, and I have the jalousie windows for ventilation and light. The current windows already don't ventilate.

Then, return the replacement window.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Provides additional piracy

Don't you work for the government? I thought they'd take a dim view of that :v:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That's what the portholes are for, whoops :v:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

That's what the portholes are for, whoops :v:

Where else would the canons go? :v:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Gas cap missing. It all makes sense, even though I'm missing no fuel.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Welp, somebody used the exhaust pipe as a step to get up onto the bumper for *~~reasons~~*, and broke the joint with the flange. Came out this morning to it hanging down at an angle.

:homebrew:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

You live in a lovely neighborhood man. Move out to the boondocks and learn to enjoy your 75-90 minute commute like me. :v:

I hate my loving commute

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You moved to the wrong boondocks, man.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

The Locator posted:

You live in a lovely neighborhood man. Move out to the boondocks and learn to enjoy your 75-90 minute commute like me. :v:

I hate my loving commute

Your 75 minutes becomes my 2 hours, remember

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Your 75 minutes becomes my 2 hours, remember

Doubt it, I drive to Tempe every day, you go to Scottsdale I believe? So you'd take the 202 when I turn south on the 10, might be pretty close to the same.

And yea, when I moved out to this boondocks and bought the house I didn't have the job in Tempe and I had a company truck. Then 2009 happened, and someday maybe I'll actually have equity so I can maybe move.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yeah, I go to alma school / main in mesa from central / thomas in Phoenix. I usually hop on the 51 at 16th / indian school, to the 202, to alma school.

When I drive the bus, I take surface streets all the way, Van Buren all the way down where it becomes Mill, then Rio Salado to Alma School.

202 on the way home because it's at 2 AM and nobody cares about a 60mph VW in the right lane.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I'm bored, so I went out and adjusted the hydraulic valves. I think I should have when I got the engine initially, even though the paper said they were already adjusted. I did the recommended 1.5 turns in. I think one or two of the lifters are semi-stuck, as it made a clacking noise badly on startup, and took a LONG time to get better. I took that noisy lifter (cyl 2 intake) and "exercised" it a bit by loosening it up, and tightening it down the alleged full limit it can go (4 turns), a few times, with putting the valve cover on and running the engine in-between. Got it to the point where it clacks on startup, but a quick blip of the throttle makes it quiet down.

Also, while I was down there, I noticed the goddamned cv axle bolts loosened again. Thankfully, my 30 dollar box of 25 sets of Nord Lock washers came in, so I re-installed the bolts with the nord lock washers. Maybe that'll help? It's what everyone recommends, but they're super expensive.

E: watching GitS for the first time in, jeeze, maybe 13 years? New movie trailer disgusted me, so I decided to break my self-imposed animuuuuu ban that's been in place since maybe 2008, under the pretense of enjoying an older classic.

Wonder how much that costs.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Nordlocks are awesome. I use a ton of the 316SS ones on the gear I make, and they really work. I just wish they made them in 6AL4V Ti...

• Locked thread