Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Also stop talking about air pollution, it's triggering me

I wish I was kidding :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Pead posted:

Surgical masks do next to nothing. they are designed to protect the mouth/nose and open wounds from getting fluids transfered between them, not to filter air of anything but the largest particulates.

YES!!!! The biggest hint is in the actual name!

Surgical masks filter in the same way a sneeze guard filters. They were designed to prevent doctors hunched over open wounds from spitting inside patients. They are good to keep people close to you from getting their spit in your mouth when they don't bother to cover up when coughing or sneezing (very common in china), but as an air filter they are absolutely useless. An effective air filter needs to fit tightly around your mouth or nose, and unless that is happening, you're still breathing in unfiltered air. Respirators are what you need for air filtration. While the mask pictured below is absolutely better than a surgical mask, it still doesn't fit with a good seal around the edges, and will let in lots of particulate filled air. I tried one of these when drywalling, and after 15 minutes I took it off to scratch my nose and it looked like I had been doing coke.

This is what you want, but you're going to get lots of strange looks (more strange looks) in China. (obviously loaded with the appropriate filter cartridges for pollution)

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Blistex posted:

They are good to keep people close to you from getting their spit in your mouth when they don't bother to cover up when coughing or sneezing

this isn't actually how it's a vector for disease transmission

spraying spit everywhere is bad b/c it coats surfaces that you and others then touch w/ your hands

also why you're supposed to sneeze into the crook of your elbow instead of your cupped hands

simple surface contact is how a lotta stuff like colds are spread around

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

this isn't actually how it's a vector for disease transmission

spraying spit everywhere is bad b/c it coats surfaces that you and others then touch w/ your hands

also why you're supposed to sneeze into the crook of your elbow instead of your cupped hands

simple surface contact is how a lotta stuff like colds are spread around

I'm saying it's good to keep strange people's spit from getting in your mouth in China. If you have a conversation with someone on the bus, especially during winter, you are asking for some random Chinese passenger to (without warning) projectile sneeze/cough right in your face and possibly your open mouh. Next time you see someone in China sneeze in a crowded environment, I can pretty much guarantee that you have only 2 options.

1. They without warning sneeze straight ahead into the face of whoever they are talking to.
2. They turn their head 90 degrees to the side and sneeze directly in the face of someone standing next to them.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I took a bus from NYC to Virginia Beach and the dude next to me wouldn't stop sneezing without covering his mouth while yelling into his phone.

Now I got a cold and the feeling like I don't have to actually ever go to China to get the experience.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Blistex posted:

1. They without warning sneeze straight ahead into the face of whoever they are talking to.
2. They turn their head 90 degrees to the side and sneeze directly in the face of someone standing next to them.
I also get the feeling that sometimes the cough or sneeze is passive-aggressively or purposely done on the foreigner. When giving the choice of doing it into empty space or directly onto the laowai, they go for the outlander every time.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I loving love all the 30 somethings working full time jobs to support their live-at-home retired parents while still obeying their rules to the point that they're forever single and have no social life because they've let their parents manipulate them into being slaves. If its your own home, set your own rules, if it's your parents house, move out. If they're financially dependent on you, just ignore their insane rules, how are they going to punish you? Kick you out? You're their cash cow, call their bluff.

I had a chinese friend growing up who had super traditional and also super christian grandparents he'd often live with because they had a big basement suite. It seemed like at least once a year he'd be kicked out. It would always go the exact same way. They'd escalate more and more ridiculous rules. A curfew, no girls, only X amount of male friends, only friends we approve of, you have to cook certain foods or clean the apartment a certain way. They also had a key and would go in and leave notes everywhere. Note on the fridge saying that the fridge handle is dirty and needs to be cleaned. Note on his food if some food was near expiry. Huge bold note on the joint of the laminate countertop saying to NEVER EVER put hot things on it because it will ruin the counter. Notes all the gently caress over the house on tiny insane things he should do or not do, most of them just warnings. Eventually he'd cross some line and they'd threaten to kick him out because he had a girl over, or threw away the 6th note they super taped to the counter to warn him not to put hot things on it (which he never did, he also kept the apartment extremely clean). He'd tell them no, he agreed to certain rules when he moved in and the new ones are unreasonable. They'd kick him out for disrespecting his elders. He'd shrug and go find an apartment or live with a friend. A few months later they'd come back to him begging his forgiveness, giving him money and gifts (they were rich) and begging him to come back and stay. A free place to stay is nice, so he'd move back in, and the cycle would continue.

It was also through his extended family that I learned that chinese are 100% immune to all forms of mental illness, simply does not exist in chinese culture :(

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no

Baronjutter posted:

If they're financially dependent on you, just ignore their insane rules, how are they going to punish you? Kick you out? You're their cash cow, call their bluff.

[...]

They'd kick him out for disrespecting his elders.

It's 100% this, the "respect your elders" crap that lets olds get away with all kinda twisted stuff

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

fish and chips and dip posted:

Boring as gently caress. You just sit and eat and smoke, I've been to around 10 at this point, and none had any games, music or fun, just sitting and eating, drinking and smoking. Cheap wedding is indeed a massive loss of face which was hilarious when my wife and I told her parents we wanted a cheap wedding lol.

The games portion of the festivities was exclusively for the bride's family and the wedding party, which sucked because I totally would have pulled in ringers for the different games. It was pretty embarrassing for me when they made my English friend who lives in Bangkok try to read a Chinese tongue-twister. And of course it never crossed anyone's mind to write the words out in Pinyin so that the dumb foreigner could at least attempt to sound it out because of course in good China Pinyin isn't a thing.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
What are the odds of Trump actually being harsh on China? Chinese state media is currently praising him into the stars.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

What are the odds of Trump actually being harsh on China? Chinese state media is currently praising him into the stars.

Kissing his rear end is the pro strategy so odds aren't good if that's what they're doing

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Baronjutter posted:

I loving love all the 30 somethings working full time jobs to support their live-at-home retired parents while still obeying their rules to the point that they're forever single and have no social life because they've let their parents manipulate them into being slaves. If its your own home, set your own rules, if it's your parents house, move out. If they're financially dependent on you, just ignore their insane rules, how are they going to punish you? Kick you out? You're their cash cow, call their bluff.

I had a chinese friend growing up who had super traditional and also super christian grandparents he'd often live with because they had a big basement suite. It seemed like at least once a year he'd be kicked out. It would always go the exact same way. They'd escalate more and more ridiculous rules. A curfew, no girls, only X amount of male friends, only friends we approve of, you have to cook certain foods or clean the apartment a certain way. They also had a key and would go in and leave notes everywhere. Note on the fridge saying that the fridge handle is dirty and needs to be cleaned. Note on his food if some food was near expiry. Huge bold note on the joint of the laminate countertop saying to NEVER EVER put hot things on it because it will ruin the counter. Notes all the gently caress over the house on tiny insane things he should do or not do, most of them just warnings. Eventually he'd cross some line and they'd threaten to kick him out because he had a girl over, or threw away the 6th note they super taped to the counter to warn him not to put hot things on it (which he never did, he also kept the apartment extremely clean). He'd tell them no, he agreed to certain rules when he moved in and the new ones are unreasonable. They'd kick him out for disrespecting his elders. He'd shrug and go find an apartment or live with a friend. A few months later they'd come back to him begging his forgiveness, giving him money and gifts (they were rich) and begging him to come back and stay. A free place to stay is nice, so he'd move back in, and the cycle would continue.

It was also through his extended family that I learned that chinese are 100% immune to all forms of mental illness, simply does not exist in chinese culture :(

Did your friend wear a silly hat?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Blistex posted:

YES!!!! The biggest hint is in the actual name!

Surgical masks filter in the same way a sneeze guard filters. They were designed to prevent doctors hunched over open wounds from spitting inside patients. They are good to keep people close to you from getting their spit in your mouth when they don't bother to cover up when coughing or sneezing (very common in china), but as an air filter they are absolutely useless. An effective air filter needs to fit tightly around your mouth or nose, and unless that is happening, you're still breathing in unfiltered air. Respirators are what you need for air filtration. While the mask pictured below is absolutely better than a surgical mask, it still doesn't fit with a good seal around the edges, and will let in lots of particulate filled air. I tried one of these when drywalling, and after 15 minutes I took it off to scratch my nose and it looked like I had been doing coke.

This is what you want, but you're going to get lots of strange looks (more strange looks) in China. (obviously loaded with the appropriate filter cartridges for pollution)

It's still all based on fit through, depending on how your head is that bottom one still might not fit you exactly.

http://www.myhealthbeijing.com/children/my-personal-fit-testing-heres-the-best-pollution-mask-for-me/

This guy did tests for a ton of masks and those 3M one did mostly > 90% which is probably as good as you can hope for the price.

e: Also wearing masks super varies by city. When I lived in SH on high pollution days you'd see almost everyone with actual masks on, but other cities p much no one wears them.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 16, 2016

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Super Christian and covers things in sticky-notes?

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Baronjutter posted:

The BBW I posted about recently had this situation. She was divorced but had a good job and bought her own house and car and had her parents living with her and her daughter. The parents wouldn't even go to get the daughter and the woman had to pick her up after school every day and drop her off at home. They complained about all sorts of things and put rules on her coming home late, despite this girl being the entire reason they were not homeless in some dumpy Guangdong factory village.

They had her schedule memorized, so if she was more than 30-60 minutes late they wouldn't accept traffic as an excuse. When she wanted to start dating again it was a big upset in the house. She told me she finally just told them she is a woman in her mid-30s and needs to have her own free time and if she needs to go out to see "friends" and come back the next day then there is nothing they can do about it. They said they were disappointed in her.

The attitude is so "gently caress you, got mine," while making GBS threads in the place you eat. "PLEASE DO EVERYTHING POSSIBLE TO ALLOW ME TO EXIST, BUT HOW DARE YOU EXIST TOO!" I wonder what will happen when the current youth are in their 50s and 60s and in that position. Will they remember how lovely it was? I know they are currently obsessed with returning scorn for crimes of old, as they are taught, but I wonder if they will act like other abused people and return the abuse to others later just because that's how they cope. I rarely meet Chinese people who have anything good to say about their grandparents, and many who don't want to say anything bad about their own parents due to being in debt to them, but I can feel some scorn there too.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The Great Autismo! posted:

it won't fully crash for another few years. make some cash now and it will crash hard by 2020. we have a kid so it's time for him to get out now. I could stay a few more years and make it work but prefer to be with me missus. It's going to get bad soon, a lot of long term expats are leaving or looking for work now. We have 8 foreigners on staff through 8/2017 and literally every single one is looking for work or study outside of china, I know this because I am writing them letters of rec lol

Is the crash referring to the opportunity for foreigners or the Chinese economy and value of the yuan? I've been trying to convince my girlfriend's parents to transfer some of their money to their daughter's account in Canada while the exchange rate is good, so she has a good safety net. And who knows if Xi will also crack down on transfers of all money outside of China.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Haier posted:

The attitude is so "gently caress you, got mine," while making GBS threads in the place you eat. "PLEASE DO EVERYTHING POSSIBLE TO ALLOW ME TO EXIST, BUT HOW DARE YOU EXIST TOO!"

The book "Ultimate Guide to China" should be one page long and only contain these two sentences.

Dicky mouse
Apr 11, 2008

"No No Not like that....Thats just silly"

Haier posted:

The attitude is so "gently caress you, got mine," while making GBS threads in the place you eat. "PLEASE DO EVERYTHING POSSIBLE TO ALLOW ME TO EXIST, BUT HOW DARE YOU EXIST TOO!" I wonder what will happen when the current youth are in their 50s and 60s and in that position. Will they remember how lovely it was?

No, from all that I've read they lack self awareness. Plus when people have had it bad the last thing they want to do is admit

1) how bad it was

2) not see someone else suffer.

gently caress man, I knew a woman from highschool and she got humiliated in the school paper for being fat and smelly.

a decade later I see her liking some stupid click bate article saying "we were bullied when we were in school and we are just fine for it, so lets stop this anti bullying campaign...bullying builds character"

I reminded her about what happened and she went loving apeshit on me....hell my grandpa passed soon thereafter and she was writing on my wall how much she hopes I suffered etc.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Haier posted:

The attitude is so "gently caress you, got mine," while making GBS threads in the place you eat. "PLEASE DO EVERYTHING POSSIBLE TO ALLOW ME TO EXIST, BUT HOW DARE YOU EXIST TOO!"

I knew a few people in China who were in their mid-30's and their parents (mostly mothers) pretty much did everything they could to scare away any prospects of their child getting married, and would constantly berate them for not having grandkids. They didn't care if their kids had any children to take care of them when they got older, because "it's not me". This cycle is 100% going to repeat itself, as the current generation are lacking things like critical thinking, the concept of repercussions, and have no empathy for anyone that isn't themselves. The children of the red guard are going to be just as vile.

I don't think "harsh", but an additional tax, even a small one on Chinese goods could be a significant blow to China's economy, and a massive blow to Xi's ego.

I'm trying to think of common US products that are sold in China, but not made in China, and I'm drawing a blank. Apple products, Buicks, Coke, Pepsi, McDonalds, KFC, HP, Dell, etc... all made in China for the most part. The US can put tariffs on Chinese products which will cause people to slow down/purchase from somewhere else, but China doing the same is cutting off their noses to spite their save face. Also given the fact that US products are seen as luxury items and status symbols, people in China will still be willing to shell out for them despite there being a 5-50% tariff because. . . "what? am I NOT going to buy an iPhone?".

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Dicky mouse posted:

No, from all that I've read they lack self awareness. Plus when people have had it bad the last thing they want to do is admit

1) how bad it was

2) not see someone else suffer.

gently caress man, I knew a woman from highschool and she got humiliated in the school paper for being fat and smelly.

a decade later I see her liking some stupid click bate article saying "we were bullied when we were in school and we are just fine for it, so lets stop this anti bullying campaign...bullying builds character"

I reminded her about what happened and she went loving apeshit on me....hell my grandpa passed soon thereafter and she was writing on my wall how much she hopes I suffered etc.
Haha, what the hell? Did you call her out for being fat and smelly and trigger her all over again? That's nuts.

Anyway, that's why I wrote:

quote:

but I wonder if they will act like other abused people and return the abuse to others later just because that's how they cope
It's proven that people who are abused often become abusers themselves. I guess China will continue the wonderful tradition, but maybe on a grander scale now that they are little emperors and never grew up learning how to share, or having to.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Haier posted:

Haha, what the hell? Did you call her out for being fat and smelly and trigger her all over again? That's nuts.

Anyway, that's why I wrote:

It's proven that people who are abused often become abusers themselves. I guess China will continue the wonderful tradition, but maybe on a grander scale now that they are little emperors and never grew up learning how to share, or having to.

Lol yeah, little emperors raised by grandparents who don't give an ounce of a poo poo, the next generation of Chinese will makes us long for days of the (now currently) 50-or-so-year-olds.

Dicky mouse
Apr 11, 2008

"No No Not like that....Thats just silly"

Haier posted:

no some one wrote in the school paper "I hope xxx buys some soap and learns how to take a bath" the teacher for the school paper should have caught it but didn't.

Which I referred to as the "school paper incident"

The lady lived with lovely dirty parents the house stank, if you ever lived with smokers than you know how smells can get in your hair and clothes. So it was an issue.

Her coach even pulled her aside and asked if she knew how to take a shower.

She later went on to become a BBW adult actress and marry a skinny little hairy dude.

are Chinese men into BBW? or what about Mongolian men?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Blistex posted:

I'm saying it's good to keep strange people's spit from getting in your mouth in China. If you have a conversation with someone on the bus, especially during winter, you are asking for some random Chinese passenger to (without warning) projectile sneeze/cough right in your face and possibly your open mouh. Next time you see someone in China sneeze in a crowded environment, I can pretty much guarantee that you have only 2 options.

good lord that's nasty

there's cultural baggage for sneezing in cultures around the world no way china gets a pass on that

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

what are they saying?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Atlas Hugged posted:

And of course it never crossed anyone's mind to write the words out in Pinyin so that the dumb foreigner could at least attempt to sound it out because of course in good China Pinyin isn't a thing.

My bigger complaint here is actually that there isn't enough Zhuyin, it's not really worth my time to learn it since I'm not five but it would make my life so much easier if it were more common

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

what are they saying?

Chinese media praise Donald Trump's 'experience and ideology'
Chinese state-run media lauded Donald Trump Tuesday after a phone call between him and President Xi Jinping, saying that the president-elect's emergence could mark a "reshaping" of Sino-American relations.
The pair spoke Monday, when Xi said that the two powers needed to co-operate and Trump's office said the leaders "established a clear sense of mutual respect.

quote:

Monday’s conversation was “diplomatically impeccable and has bolstered optimism over bilateral relations in the next four years”, China‘s frequently nationalistic Global Times newspaper said in an editorial.

Barack Obama, whose foreign policy pivot to Asia alarmed Beijing, was “profoundly affected” by the Cold War-shaped outlook of American elites, the paper said, but Trump’s views “have not been kidnapped by Washington’s political elites”.

“Trump is probably the very American leader who will make strides in reshaping major-power relations in a pragmatic manner,” it added, saying his ideology and experience “match well with the new era”.

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2016/11/16/chinese-media-praise-donald-trumps-experience-ideology/

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Blistex posted:

This is what I had to go with for something to fit my face well. It's actually pretty comfortable too, more than the disposables.

People do stare but they do that all the time anyway so I barely notice. I have noticed sometimes I'll go into a shop or something and everyone checks the AQI on their phone after seeing me and freaks out a little. I hope I'm providing a service by being a human PUT ON A MASK billboard.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Lol yeah, little emperors raised by grandparents who don't give an ounce of a poo poo, the next generation of Chinese will makes us long for days of the (now currently) 50-or-so-year-olds.

You know I learned a thing recently and this reminded me of it.

Back before indoor plumbing, when outhouses where common in Finland and you had to go out and poo poo in -20C weather, a stalagmite of frozen poo poo would form under your rear end over time. Eventually you would have to take a metal pipe or something and smash it so the old frozen poop wouldn't touch your rear end. Well they usually called this stalagmite an "emperor".

Doesn't it all somehow... fit?

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Once Trump actually does something to China it only takes a single directive "from now on we hate Trump" and all the state media will go Falun Gong on his rear end.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
then again it's china, all he has to do is go "I love china. With the orange chicken and the general tso and building of the walls" and he's eebaifun

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Of all the ppl that are going to hate Trump in a few months time I don't think the Chinese are of that great a concern.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Best China's Chen Weiling lifts 4.5X her body weight with a 210kg/462lbs squat. She weighs 46kg/102lbs, breaking a world record for something or something.

https://i.imgur.com/HmDbUW3.gifv

Edit: It was her third attempt because she couldn't rack the first two times, meaning she had already lifted that twice before that and still had the energy to continue.

Haier fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Nov 16, 2016

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

:stare:

That's amazing.

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys
Wow, that really is awe-inspiring.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Pirate Radar posted:

My bigger complaint here is actually that there isn't enough Zhuyin, it's not really worth my time to learn it since I'm not five but it would make my life so much easier if it were more common

I saw a couple of shops that realized the marketing potential of this, like advertising a drink menu specifically for kids, but yeah you barely see it at all outside of the random characters they use for phonetic sounds or to write specific Taiwanese things.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Cover Story for The Atlantic this month:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/12/chinas-great-leap-backward/505817/

China's Great Leap Backward

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Taiwan #1 at squats

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

ElGroucho posted:

Taiwan #1 at squats

But she is not slav! How can this be?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Chinese media praise Donald Trump's 'experience and ideology'
Chinese state-run media lauded Donald Trump Tuesday after a phone call between him and President Xi Jinping, saying that the president-elect's emergence could mark a "reshaping" of Sino-American relations.
The pair spoke Monday, when Xi said that the two powers needed to co-operate and Trump's office said the leaders "established a clear sense of mutual respect.

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2016/11/16/chinese-media-praise-donald-trumps-experience-ideology/

The Chinese leadership are probably paying attention to American news, and noting how Trump is ignorant and astonished with the scope of his new job, and easy to incite emotionally. Combine that with Trump's hilariously poor vocabulary (very very, very very, very very...) they're likely concluding he's a blowhard fuckwit that'll be easy to manipulate. So, they're stepping to the table with platitudes and good-will facades to see how far that'll get them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Anything bad for the US is potentially good for China so they're fine with it. making GBS threads on China related to jobs and stuff is so common every election cycle and nothing ever happens that they don't pay attention to it anymore.

• Locked thread