Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

particle9 posted:

Sorry but how do you film process the raw files? I have the xt2 and would love to know. Thanks.

Not sure if it's changed from the X-T1 but you simply use the in-camera raw converter. There's an option to choose a film simulation mode (default is Provia). When you're done, press Q and it'll spew out a JPEG in whatever settings you used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

rio posted:

In other news, I finally tried Capture One Pro after a few years of not trying it and am seeing much better results than Lightroom for Fuji. There are even film simulations available (that you have to download, not included like Lightroom). If I can figure out a way to be as quick with it as I am in Lightroom then I am definitely switching.

Where do you get your film sims from? I only found a few and most seem to want you to pay for them.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Saros posted:

Where do you get your film sims from? I only found a few and most seem to want you to pay for them.

I found them here: http://www.fuji-x-forum.com/topic/3772-capture-one-pro-9-film-simulations-incl-acros/

He set them up for the X-T1 so you have to view all of the profiles once you put them in whatever folder (it is in the thread, I forget - and you can't import the profiles within Capture One) and look under X-T1 to see the profiles. I don't know enough about the program to figure out how to change it to X-T2 so that I don't have to view all of the profiles to get to them - does anyone know how to do that?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Adorama has the Fuji 23mm/1.4 and $100 Adorama gift card for $649.

You might be able get some adorama points I am not sure.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003
Has anyone used the Fuji XF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 lens? I am sort of thinking about it, but after reading this Ken Rockwell article I am not sure.

edit: Oops.

accipter fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Nov 16, 2016

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Please don't read or (especially) link to KRock.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

That bad?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

accipter posted:

That bad?

Yes, that bad

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

But it's great comedy!

From his article "Why We Love Film"

Ken Rockwell posted:

Wives and Girlfriends Love Film

Girls hate it when boys waste their time while on vacation by looking at their photos of the vacation, while they're still on that vacation! This isn't why a woman goes on vacation.

Your resort room isn't intended for you to be playing on your computer when you have your girl there. Shoot film, and you have more time in your room for what it's intended.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Ziggy Smalls posted:

But it's great comedy!

From his article "Why We Love Film"

Out of morbid curiosity I looked him up on YouTube because ive never heard what he sounds like... Watch this then read that article in his voice.

https://youtu.be/eT-HBiFnODA

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

MMD3 posted:

Out of morbid curiosity I looked him up on YouTube because ive never heard what he sounds like... Watch this then read that article in his voice.

holy poo poo

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

accipter posted:

Has anyone used the Fuji XF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 lens? I am sort of thinking about it, but after reading this Ken Rockwell article I am not sure.

edit: Oops.
krock-free reviews:
http://www.scoop.it/t/fuji-x-pro1/?tag=FUJINON+XF100-400mmF4.5-5.6+R+LM+OIS+WR

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

MMD3 posted:

gently caress he even sounds annoying

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no

Isn't this one of those "steal content for clicks" websites? I mean I know as art types we don't like people taking content without credit.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I'd say it's more of a Google News type thing, suggesting articles that are worth reading.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Nov 16, 2016

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Quote is not edit

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Since we have so many Fuji people here, do you shoot raw, raw+jpg, jpg or raw and convert in camera, and if you change that situationally then when do you shoot what?

I shot mostly raw with the x-t1 and the majority of the time I would put shots in Lightroom rather than convert in camera once they put in the film emulations as camera profiles. I am using them all equally now with the X-T2 as I get used to it because I can't get the same look as what I get out of the camera - particularly with Acros. I am considering just shooting jpg for a while for informal shooting to help me get used to the camera. I am having a hard time getting my metering down with it for some reason and I think restricting myself to having to use what I get out of camera would help me with that.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I mainly shoot raw, then either convert in-camera or use Lightroom. SOOC JPEGs are nice but I always feel the need to tweak exposure/contrast/white balance.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

rio posted:

Since we have so many Fuji people here, do you shoot raw, raw+jpg, jpg or raw and convert in camera, and if you change that situationally then when do you shoot what?

I shot mostly raw with the x-t1 and the majority of the time I would put shots in Lightroom rather than convert in camera once they put in the film emulations as camera profiles. I am using them all equally now with the X-T2 as I get used to it because I can't get the same look as what I get out of the camera - particularly with Acros. I am considering just shooting jpg for a while for informal shooting to help me get used to the camera. I am having a hard time getting my metering down with it for some reason and I think restricting myself to having to use what I get out of camera would help me with that.

Raw + jpeg with the xt1, and if you have the xt2 there's absolutely no reason not to since you can send them to separate memory cards and delete what you don't need after

rio
Mar 20, 2008

MMD3 posted:

Raw + jpeg with the xt1, and if you have the xt2 there's absolutely no reason not to since you can send them to separate memory cards and delete what you don't need after

Oh poo poo, I forgot I could do that! I haven't messed with the dual cards yet but guess I will be starting tomorrow.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
RAW+jpg but will in camera process if I want something different most of the time. I really only process RAWs for weddings and challenging lighting situations. Or if I i'm out shooting B&W but later decide I want a bunch of photos in color instead. The camera has 7 custom modes and I use all of them with different tone shifts so I can get most of what I want in camera.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
The Fuji boys aren't happy:
http://www.fujirumors.com/great-jpeg-shootout-thecamerastoretv/

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Fujirumors has Reddit-level comment idiocy, so I'm not too surprised.

I will say that these days, 95% of photos are viewed on a screen, not in print. In fact, doing a SOOC JPG comparison online would have yielded more and better data.

Also, I have never, ever printed a photo that I thought was excellent by sending a JPG of that photo straight to a printer. However, give me that printer profile and let me make contrast adjustments to fix the shortcomings of photo printers, and we're in the ballpark. Give me the RAW file and make sure my computer screen is calibrated correctly so I can do color corrections also? Now I'm nailing it.

The point I'm trying to make is that if I own $1000+ worth of camera and lens, and I identify a shot of mine I want to print, my next step isn't to say "off to Walgreens". I'm running a 4x6 test print on my Selphy and then placing an order through Adoramapix or Costco, where I have access to color profiles. It would be really, really nice if this weren't necessary, but I don't need or want a $2000 photo printer in my house.

Edit: the comparison is made even more dumb when I scan through the video and realize they've printed out 8x10s of the photos, and that the iPhone would have probably placed in top 3 versus every other camera, except that they took an iPhone photo and blew it up to 8x10, magnifying its poor high-ISO performance, and for the only shot the iPhone critically lost, they corrected the white balance in-camera for every other camera except the iPhone.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Nov 17, 2016

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
I stopped watching when someone said all the images were shot at the exact same manual exposure. That's a dumb test.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Can't print large at high ISO is a reasonable criticism of the iPhone. However installing an app with manual white balance would have given a more interesting comparison than something dominated by awb.

The Fuji looked letdown by the auto exposure being on the dark side.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

rio posted:

I shoot raw+jpg. If I am posting on Instagram, I will typically wirelessly transmit the image to my phone, make some adjustments in Snapseed, and the post it. Although, lately I have been using CaptureOne with the RAWs as a way to improve my post processing skills. I mainly use the RAWs for printed photos and photo books. I backup both the jpg and raw files on Crashplan.

I posted this picture while I was waiting for the hummingbird to return:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BMuLCQJlZN8/

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.
I shoot Raw+Jpeg as well. There isn't any reason not to. The in camera black and white (acros I think?) ends up great. For color photos I usually have a few things to dial in lightroom. These are from me just walking around with the X-T2 and the kit lens and then doing a white balance and some slight color in lightroom.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
There's value in setting the white balance in camera and not necessarily always relying on auto. For example Fuji's fluorescent presets are way, way better than auto and different than Lightroom's fluorescent setting. It helps they give you three to choose from

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
After start using C1P, I can't go back to jpg for outdoor scenes. There is just so much sky and foilage shadow detail you can get back through RAW.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Pablo Bluth posted:

Can't print large at high ISO is a reasonable criticism of the iPhone. However installing an app with manual white balance would have given a more interesting comparison than something dominated by awb.

The Fuji looked letdown by the auto exposure being on the dark side.

For tauting itself as a non-lab, "real world" test it really fails. Who buys an expensive camera and shoots with it out of the box without adjusting exposure? Also I have to wonder if they had all of the cameras in the same metering mode, and even if they did each camera meters differently so it is a really NOT realistic test. It is a great idea but if you don't get each camera on equal footing in terms of exposure it makes no sense in terms of real world results because all it is doing it testing how a camera shoots out of the box if a monkey found and pressed the shutter button vs. real life where we know to turn off face detection so that we can select our preferred metering mode on the X-T2 (isn't face detection set to "on" by default when you get the camera as well? Mine was basically new but technically used so I don't know) and set our EV properly. Also why the gently caress are they using a baby who can't set up the same pose for each camera...the difference in the way the face is positioned will affect metering as well since the light is coming from the side. It was just all really poorly executed.

fake edit: I decided to go on a nature walk with my kid today and shoot jpg only to one card, and to only use the 35mm f2 since I use that lens the least. And to only use Acros. It was really fun and I need to do this type of thing more often. It was nice having the raws on one card so that I could convert some to color later but essentially treat it like I was shooting jpg only and try to get it right in camera. I need to do this more often because just in the two hours I was out I got way more comfortable with the camera and the little differences that I am finding in the new body. Acros is the poo poo as well and I can't match that Acros jpg output in Lightroom or Capture One - they really did an awesome job with it and I need to shoot more with it. Also keeping it in b&w in the finder was really cool in terms of composition and it changed the way I shot.

rio fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Nov 18, 2016

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I had around $150 in credit at adorame that was gonna expire soon so I gave into my dark desires and bought Fuji 23mm f/2. I'm not planning on selling my f/1,4 I just thought having a smaller version of my favorite focal length would come in handy. I should not be allowed to buy things online.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Did you get it yet? Can you let us know what you think with both the af between the two as well as the iq?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

rio posted:

Did you get it yet? Can you let us know what you think with both the af between the two as well as the iq?

I haven't got it yet, I'll happily do a comparison next week when I do tho. I figured since it's my most used focal length having two versions sant hurt, worst case scenario I sell one of them in a few months.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I need to be more cognizant of my auto ISO settings while shooting aperture priority on my camera. I like that Fuji lets you customize different auto ISO settings (ISO range, minimum shutter speed) but I need to remember to switch between them when I'm constantly bouncing between my primes. I lost some shots from my most recent trip because the minimum shutter speed was too slow for handheld 90mm, but they were fine for my 23 and 35. On quick review they looked okay, but on my computer I can tell it ended up blurry for shooting at too slow of a shutter speed.

If only it could automatically switch auto ISO settings based on the attached lens.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

I need to be more cognizant of my auto ISO settings while shooting aperture priority on my camera. I like that Fuji lets you customize different auto ISO settings (ISO range, minimum shutter speed) but I need to remember to switch between them when I'm constantly bouncing between my primes. I lost some shots from my most recent trip because the minimum shutter speed was too slow for handheld 90mm, but they were fine for my 23 and 35. On quick review they looked okay, but on my computer I can tell it ended up blurry for shooting at too slow of a shutter speed.

If only it could automatically switch auto ISO settings based on the attached lens.

I really like that auto ISO is mapped to the left bumper on the 4 way now. I have all three setup for various focal lengths. It would be hella sweet if they adapted the auto iso based on focal length tho.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
I haven't kept up with photography news much in the last 4 months and a quick search yielded nothing. Do we know when the Fuji 80mm 2.8 macro is going to be released? I saw that they had the lens on display for Photokina. Is spring/summer 2017 a good guess?

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Run away before you drown!
Serious question for those of you who may have already switched over to Fuji from Canon, Nikon, or a mirrored system. I've been eyeing up the XT's for a while and considering selling my 5DMk2 and switching over to an X-T2, but I'm scared that I'll miss full frame shooting.

I have no real reason to be loyal to Canon anymore, aside from my comfort when doing fashion photoshoots for my wife, and I've grown used to the speed that I can work with my 5D. Would I be safe and happy going the Fuji route? (Assuming I can even sell this thing :()

My main shooting: Landscape, fashion, portraits, studio and occasionally events but nothing too crazy.

ianskate fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Nov 22, 2016

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

ianskate posted:

Serious question for those of you who may have already switched over to Fuji from Canon, Nikon, or a mirrored system. I've been eyeing up the XT's for a while and considering selling my 5DMk2 and switching over to an X-T2, but I'm scared that I'll miss full frame shooting.

I have no real reason to be loyal to Canon anymore, aside from my comfort when doing fashion photoshoots for my wife, and I've grown used to the speed that I can work with my 5D. Would I be safe and happy going the Fuji route? (Assuming I can even sell this thing :()

My main shooting: Landscape, fashion, portraits, studio and occasionally events but nothing too crazy.

Why do you want to switch?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ianskate posted:

I'm scared that I'll miss full frame shooting.
This doesn't really mean anything unless you can articulate why.

I switched from Canon full-frame DSLRs and can't say that I miss much, especially now with the X-T2. The X-T1's autofocus performance was a downgrade from the 5DIII, but the X-T2 corrects that completely in my experience so far. Dynamic range on Fuji is significantly better (not sure how it stacks up to the 5DIV now), and I find myself shooting a lot more because it's such a compact setup compared to my old 5DIII and full-frame glass. Even being mindful of things like confirmation bias, I can confidently say that I don't regret the switch at all.

Are there tradeoffs? Always. Being an older and more developed platform, Canon has more options for very specific shooting scenarios: their flash ecosystem is much better (though Fuji's should improve with the XF-500) and I occasionally miss esoteric options like tilt-shift. For 99% of my shooting though, I adore the X-T2 and find the much smaller setup to more than offset its limitations. Battery life on mirrorless is also like an order of magnitude worse than DSLRs, but I can carry my X-T2, 3 lenses, and 4 batteries in a bag that wouldn't have fit my gripped 5DIII and 70-200/2.8 before. The X-T2's USB charging also proved convenient on my road trip a couple weeks ago since I could just charge it in the car while driving between destinations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I switched from shooting a 5D to the X-T1, and now the X-T2. I had an original X100 and fell in love with it, so I already knew why I wanted to switch - the external controls. I always missed my knobs and aperture ring from shooting film and I ended up shooting my X100 more than the 5D except when I needed something that was not 35mm equivalent. So I figured switching to an interchangeable lens Fuji would make sense for me and I sold my Canon stuff and bought an X-T1 with the 18-55 and the 35 f2. Next I got the 50-145 2.8, then the 23 1.2 and recently got the Rokinon 8mm 2.8 and I rarely miss my Canon gear now. I do miss the dof occasionally and more often than that I miss the different look that full frame gives (which some consider a myth but I do see it), but the advantages from the Fuji definitely outweigh those 2 things. I was already used to slow autofocus from the X100 so I didn't go to the X-t1 expecting better performance than the 5D. It was certainly better than the X100 but I definitely missed shots that I could have gotten with the Canon. Now that I have the X-T2, though, the performance is as good and sometimes better than my old 5D and I am a happy camper.

I think it is important to know why you would like to switch systems, so I also would ask why you want to switch. There are definitely advantages as well as disadvantages - write down both for what you have now and what you expect from Fuji and start there. Also think about what body you would get and what lenses and ask here if you need any advice.