Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

shame on an IGA posted:

I am really looking forward to having this contractor's rear end for breakfast tomorrow since I would be dead right now if this crane hadn't been welding itself to the floor by the time I went to switch it on.

"Hmm, ground wired to neutral, not great but don't understand what all the hullabaloo is about"

*reads down

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

Three-phase that was what I thought too after two days of intermittently plugging it in and troubleshooting the hoist. But no, the busbar fuses never blew and I kept unplugging it, looking for switches or wires rubbing inside the panels, nothing. Then I walked away to look for a mechanical drawing, believing I had ruled out any possibility of an electrical problem and returned to a wide eyed engineer asking "is this nut supposed to be smoking? Have you guys been welding over here?"

Not on purpose bro.

E: and yes, the ground teminal on that plug is painted bright green on the back how the gently caress did someone gently caress that up

Please stop color blind shaming

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
What a shoddy looking plug that is. Get some CEE plugs.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

shame on an IGA posted:

I am really looking forward to having this contractor's rear end for breakfast tomorrow since I would be dead right now if this crane hadn't been welding itself to the floor by the time I went to switch it on.

That's pretty horrifying. Luckily, I only ever have to deal with pre-made three phase plugs so it's much harder for...that to happen.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Resolution: he gone. I was a little sympathetic due to multiple machine moves happening simultaneously but EHS justifiably gave no fucks

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

neonbregna posted:

Please stop color blind shaming

The safety ground wire is always yellow AND green. When you have power wires you never see a another striped or dual-color wire used. (However this is really common for small control signal wires.) Plus "black-on-brass" I've been told.

Generally this is what I've seen:
Black, red, blue (hot)
White (neutral)
Green/yellow (earth)

Brown, orange, yellow (hot)
Gray (neutral)
Green/yellow (earth)

The neutrals have a different color so if you have a box with 120/208 and 277/480 you don't get the neutrals mixed up or tied together.

There's also another color for the high-leg ("bastard leg") on a center-tap grounded delta because that wire has a higher than normal voltage to ground.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 16, 2016

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Three-Phase posted:

The safety ground wire is always yellow AND green. When you have power wires you never see a another striped or dual-color wire used. (However this is really common for small control signal wires.) Plus "black-on-brass" I've been told.

Black, red, blue (hot)
White (neutral)
Green/yellow (earth)

Gray (neutral)
Green/yellow (earth)

The neutrals have a different color so if you have a box with 120/208 and 277/480 you don't get the neutrals mixed up or tied together.

There's also another color for the high-leg ("bastard leg") on a center-tap grounded delta because that wire has a higher than normal voltage to ground.

Username checks out

Big Steveo
Apr 5, 2007

by astral

Three-Phase posted:

Black, red, blue (hot)
White (neutral)
Green/yellow (earth)

Gray (neutral)
Green/yellow (earth)

USA?

I'm Australian and our colours differ a bit.

Live/Active/Positive/Hot
Red, White, Light Blue (phases in that order). White phase actually used to be yellow however the colour will fade to white. Still present in older installations
Brown for European imports or extension leads.

Neutral/Negative
Black, Dark Blue

Earth/Ground
Green/Yellow for electrical
Violet for communications

We run a 400/230v Multiple-Earthed Neutral system.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Big Steveo posted:

I'm Australian

Username checks out

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:buddy: GAY 4 ORGANS :buddy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwAzkyN-Xpk

Notice the combat medic being a split second away from being squished by a shunter locomotive, moments before it derails as well and strikes the derailed railbus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudine_derailment

The wikipedia article fails to mention that the driver of the railbus, after noticing that the locomotive has lost all traction and has turned into a bobsled for all practical purposes, activated the emergency brake but the train actively refused to drop sand that would have prevented the disaster due to faulty software in the locomotive.

It also fails to mention that the defective flame retardant liquid was cheaper than the standard stuff and that someone pocketed the not-quite-insignificant difference.

Moral of the story: if you're traveling in Croatia, just take the loving bus.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

the loving bus.

It's called a bang bus.
:goonsay:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwAzkyN-Xpk

Notice the combat medic being a split second away from being squished by a shunter locomotive, moments before it derails as well and strikes the derailed railbus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudine_derailment

The wikipedia article fails to mention that the driver of the railbus, after noticing that the locomotive has lost all traction and has turned into a bobsled for all practical purposes, activated the emergency brake but the train actively refused to drop sand that would have prevented the disaster due to faulty software in the locomotive.

It also fails to mention that the defective flame retardant liquid was cheaper than the standard stuff and that someone pocketed the not-quite-insignificant difference.

Moral of the story: if you're traveling in Croatia, just take the loving bus.

Also notice the combat medic trying to run away from the locomotive instead of diving off to the side immediately.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

chitoryu12 posted:

Also notice the combat medic trying to run away from the locomotive instead of diving off to the side immediately.

Just like Charlize Theron in Promethus

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Are there :biotruths: about how we always run directly away from something because if you turn and run perpendicular, the tiger is going to eat you because of cutting the corner?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I think that guy was running because he was trying to get out of the narrow area between those two rocks. If he didn't keep running straight he probably would have been taken out by the derail/tailwhipping train

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

zedprime posted:

Are there :biotruths: about how we always run directly away from something because if you turn and run perpendicular, the tiger is going to eat you because of cutting the corner?

Sadly there is no :mathematruths: emote.

(Did you know? For some animals, like crocodiles, a zig-zag pattern is safer.)

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
http://www.sfchronicle.com/college/ostler/article/Big-Game-s-most-gruesome-incident-Sizzling-10619405.php

quote:

Many of the folks who were either shut out or priced out ($1 tickets) found a perch to watch the game for free. Just across the street from the stadium was the brand-new San Francisco and Pacific Glass Works building, and 400 to 500 boys and men climbed onto the building’s metal roof, nearly five stories high, for a splendid view of the game.

About 20 minutes after kickoff, the roof collapsed — “Sprung open like a gallows trap,” one survivor said — raining about half the boys and men down onto the blazing-hot, brick cover of a vat filled with 15 tons of burbling molten glass.

“Plunge to Their Death on a White Hot Furnace,” The Chronicle’s front-page headline read.

The Evening News in San Jose went with “Sizzling, Shrieking Human Mass.”

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

loving hell.

wow.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Doc Hawkins posted:

(Did you know? For some animals, like crocodiles, a zig-zag pattern is safer.)

Apparently, the same is true if you're being shot at. I'm sure some crazy gun goon will either corroborate me or correct me.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

quote:

“Sizzling, Shrieking Human Mass.”

mods, please?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

atomicthumbs posted:

The Evening News in San Jose went with “Sizzling, Shrieking Human Mass.”
Grizzly but gripping.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Dillbag posted:

Apparently, the same is true if you're being shot at. I'm sure some crazy gun goon will either corroborate me or correct me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpNU3WumPFQ

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

:stonk:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

quote:

“The situation was rendered more horrible by the fact that the sudden derangement of the furnace machinery sent a stream of boiling oil over the bodies of the victims.”

:stonk:

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

I'm the time travel dabbing at the bottom of the picture

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

How did so many people survive? Or is that not counting people who slowly died of fatal burns later?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
http://us.cnn.com/2016/11/17/us/yellowstone-man-dissolved-trnd/index.html

quote:

Man dissolves in acidic water after he falls into a Yellowstone hot spring

A trip to one of the nation's natural wonders ended in a unnatural tragedy.

A 23-year-old Oregon man essentially dissolved inside a hot spring at Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming after he accidentally fell into it.
The bizarre incident happened back in June, when Colin Nathaniel Scott went to the park with his sister to find a place to "hot pot."

According to a recently released report from park officials, Scott and his sister went to an unauthorized area near the Norris Geyser.

"They were specifically moving in that area for a place that they could potentially get into and soak," Deputy Chief Ranger Lorant Veress told CNN affiliate KULR. "I think they call it hot potting."

Scott had reached down to check the temperature of a spring when he slipped and fell into it. Rescuers later found Scott's body inside the pool, but couldn't retrieve it because of a lighting storm in the area. When they came back the next day, no remains were found beneath the spring's churning, acidic waters.

"In a very short order, there was a significant amount of dissolving," Veress said.

The parks' geyers and springs are acidic because they are fed by thermal water deep underground that picks up sulfuric acid as it rises to the surface. The sulfuric acid is produced by microorganisms that break down hydrogen sulfide in rocks and soil.

Scott's sister was recording on her cell phone when he fell in, but the park service won't release the video.

Veress stressed the importance for park visitors to obey all warning signs.

"Because (Yellowstone) is wild and it hasn't been overly altered by people to make things a whole lot safer, it's got dangers," he said. "And a place like Yellowstone, which is set aside because of the incredible geothermal resources that are here, all the more so."

Video of the accident exists :cry:

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

It's only a matter of time before it gets leaked.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Wrong thread.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

RNG posted:

Wrong thread.

Yeah but I figured it was on topic considering the last page couple pages. Maybe better for the schadenfreude thread if you're feeling sadistic but I haven't had the stomach to read that thread post-election.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Was it hot enough to hard boil his eyeballs like that guy who tried to rescue that dog?

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

BattleMaster posted:

How did so many people survive? Or is that not counting people who slowly died of fatal burns later?

22 total dead after a couple days. I'm guessing the entire lot of 400 or 500 didn't land on the hot spot.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Well, if you're not part of the solution...

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

BattleMaster posted:

400-500 people were on the roof. "About half" of them fell (so 200-250)on the factory floor. The factory floor had a furnace on it, but the furnace obviously covers much less than the total floor space.

Perhaps you were imagining a factory building consisting of nothing but a giant furnace stuffed snugly between four walls. That would be very silly.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Say Nothing posted:

Well, if you're not part of the solution...

You haven't been dissolved yet?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

neonbregna posted:

I'm the time travel dabbing at the bottom of the picture

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Chomp8645 posted:

400-500 people were on the roof. "About half" of them fell (so 200-250)on the factory floor. The factory floor had a furnace on it, but the furnace obviously covers much less than the total floor space.

Perhaps you were imagining a factory building consisting of nothing but a giant furnace stuffed snugly between four walls. That would be very silly.

I imagine that there were also some people that landed on other people on the furnace and avoided death in that fashion.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
At least they didn't arguably end up inside a furnace on purpose. (Like David Bocks.)

http://unsolved.com/archives/dave-bocks

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Chomp8645 posted:

It was more the descriptions of writhing masses of burning people that made me think that a lot more people were affected

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

VectorSigma posted:

22 total dead after a couple days. I'm guessing the entire lot of 400 or 500 didn't land on the hot spot.

That is a surprisingly low death toll for a four or five story fall to a factory floor, molten glass furnace or not. I'm amazed that more people didn't die.