Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
By the way, is there ever a reason to sell the Minekaze? Just got in a game full of T4 BBs and it was a pleasure. Doing 100k games seems so easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I didn't keep mine, but I don't like tier 5.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Cippalippus posted:

By the way, is there ever a reason to sell the Minekaze? Just got in a game full of T4 BBs and it was a pleasure. Doing 100k games seems so easy.

If you were a cool kid and got the Kamikaze. Or bought the Fujin. Or yeah if it isn't fun for you. It used to be a lot better when tier V ships didn't get into tier VII games 75% of the time, but I think it's still ok in those games. It really just sucks when you face a good tier VII DD or CV player that knows how to gently caress your poo poo up.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well I had a fun game.

Played a conservative game with the Konig due to lack of appealing openings, got about 25k damage for a few paint nicks when everyone else on the team managed to die, leaving half the enemy team alive, slightly ahead on points, and with two cap zones.

So I figured gently caress it and sailed right for the last group of enemies I saw.

First thing that happens is a cruiser comes rocking up shooting at me, I pelt it with front guns and it dies after shooting me up some. Not bad.

The enemy team is mostly located on the other side of a pair of islands, with a narrow gap between them, about wide enough to put the konig across. I sail right for the gap when another cruiser, half damaged, sails broadside across it firing at me, I duck into a little nook in the right island and watch the inevitable torpedoes go sailing past me, but now I'm wedged, fortunately I'm also point blank at an enemy cruiser's broadside so both front turrets citadel him and delete him off the board. I'm sure I'm dead at this point so i start to slowly reverse when a furutaka cruises around the rear of the island I'm wedged up against, and I can't turn my turrets round. Happily, I'm in a konig, so I don't need to, first secondary shot hits him and knocks like 4000 damage off him or something absurd, and the rest of them just start ablating his health off. I hit the forward gear because I'm sure he's torpedoed me, and jam myself back into the island again, he did torpedo me but because I'm so close to the island and it's so flat on the edges, we're in gun range but he can't actually hit me with torpedoes without getting further round, so they go sailing past like the first batch. Then my secondaries blow him to poo poo, and I'm amazed that I've just facetanked three ships and lived. I reverse again and an enemy BB appears on the other side of the gap, starts shooting me, I shoot back, winning because of course he's broadsiding me and I'm face on, I only have two guns but his shots mostly bounce, mine mostly penetrate. I turn to go through the gap to get closer to him and hit him with a full broadside between his volleys and Nassau comes around the island and starts absolutely gunning for me through the gap, he's trying to ram me, I get a volley off on him, badly damaging but not destroying him, and manage to maneuver around him by a gnat's pube and he beaches himself on the island behind me while on fire and getting shredded by my secondary guns. I steam through the gap towards the other BB and... the game ends by timeout, and we won, because I apparently singlehandedly killed enough ships to cut their point lead below ours. The enemy team are all screaming over comms about how noob their team is, and I'm laughing my arse off because all I did was get repeatedly wedged in an island and then steer around a battleship, yet I basically won the game singlehanded. More luck than skill I'm sure but, just, it's absurd how hard to kill the konig is from the front.

Moral of the story: The Konig is amazing when face on, I am now face-on fighting everything and it's working remarkably well, even against destroyers in smoke, they just don't seem to expect you to charge them and they fire torpedoes all over the place trying to get rid of you, and enemy BBs always try to broadside you which seems to invariably favor your ship, especially as they give you chance to turn your rear guns out by firing the first shot and broadside them without getting shot there.

Always facetank all the time, it's absolutely amazing and people do not know how to deal with it.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Cippalippus posted:

I'm strongly considering it. The Isokaze is a bit slower but exclusively plays tier 3-4-5 shitters on smaller maps. The Minekaze is faster, but will consistently be uptiered.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

So, uh... :stare:

That was the last game of last night. I think I've finally clicked with these ships, and I get why they're only really good in the hands of people that are experienced. You absolutely have to know your way around each class of ship (except carriers of course) to get the most out of them.

Also I was taken down to 242 hp for a moment. I really, really should've died there.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Vengarr posted:

I'm strongly considering it. The Isokaze is a bit slower but exclusively plays tier 3-4-5 shitters on smaller maps. The Minekaze is faster, but will consistently be uptiered.

This is my experience overwhelmingly, if you like the minekaze because it's good, you will like the isokaze better because it's almost as good but plays in much lower tier. The minekaze is a slightly improved isokaze against enemies up to four tiers higher than the isokaze might face.

Rorac posted:

That was the last game of last night. I think I've finally clicked with these ships, and I get why they're only really good in the hands of people that are experienced. You absolutely have to know your way around each class of ship (except carriers of course) to get the most out of them.

Also I was taken down to 242 hp for a moment. I really, really should've died there.

I cannot for the life of me figure out what the appeal of the RN crusiers is. I'm thinking maybe if I can grind up to the leander with its multi gun turrets and play it like a miniature myogi or something I might be able to get some fun out of it? But as it stands I'm sitting in a big loving destroyer with really weird guns and terrible concealment, oh and anything that hits it broadside instantly kills it.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Nov 16, 2016

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Moral of the story: The Konig is amazing when face on, I am now face-on fighting everything and it's working remarkably well, even against destroyers in smoke, they just don't seem to expect you to charge them and they fire torpedoes all over the place trying to get rid of you, and enemy BBs always try to broadside you which seems to invariably favor your ship, especially as they give you chance to turn your rear guns out by firing the first shot and broadside them without getting shot there.

Always facetank all the time, it's absolutely amazing and people do not know how to deal with it.

It's good that you learned this lesson at tier V. You will eventually get into games with tier X BBs that haven't learned it.

Though be careful about charging DDs in smoke. It can work, but it's very risky. Smart DDs will hold off on firing their torps until you're too close to dodge them. It'll work a bit better when you get to the Bismark and can use Hydro.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Rorac posted:

It gets better.

Though to be honest if I don't get a Dreadnought achievement I feel like I've done something wrong.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

El Disco posted:

It's good that you learned this lesson at tier V. You will eventually get into games with tier X BBs that haven't learned it.

Though be careful about charging DDs in smoke. It can work, but it's very risky. Smart DDs will hold off on firing their torps until you're too close to dodge them. It'll work a bit better when you get to the Bismark and can use Hydro.

Mm, I'm assuming it is just bad players because there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to peg a battleship that's charging you, it just hasn't happened yet, so it seems to be a rare skill.

Also I suppose it doesn't quite work in, say, the myogi, though the myogi does still have it's amazing guns so while you only get one shot face on, it loving wrecks whatever it hits and you can close range with enemy BBs really fast.

But I certainly think I've pegged the German BB tactic for this tier, it's odd how few people seem to try it, literally everyone I've seen fights broadside almost exclusively.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I had a game last night in my dunkerque where for some reason, the enemy decided that me bow on was a bigger threat than our nagato that was running around a 1/4-3/4 broadside to work his rear guns. I guess because I was closer. Either way, the dunk is amazing since the gun layout specifically screams at you to facetank everything. That game ended with me getting both fireproof and dreadnought while also dishing out 110k damage.

I have no idea how people can say the dunk is a bad ship. Just face tank everything and it'll win you matches repeatedly.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

I cannot for the life of me figure out what the appeal of the RN crusiers is. I'm thinking maybe if I can grind up to the leander with its multi gun turrets and play it like a miniature myogi or something I might be able to get some fun out of it? But as it stands I'm sitting in a big loving destroyer with really weird guns and terrible concealment, oh and anything that hits it broadside instantly kills it.

I definitely know where you're coming from here. The games where you get buried under an endless tide of citadels or eat poo poo 3 seconds into the match and you feel completely and utterly helpless without friendly support are agonising. Hell, even just playing tonight there were one or two moments I was close to ragequitting for the night.

But I think the beauty of the RN cruisers is that when they're in their element people seem to have very little idea of how to deal with them. I've lost count of the number of times destroyers have tried to panic smoke only to eat a hefty faceful of AP or fall flat on their asses because they underestimate you and the next thing they're on their way to the bottom. Larger ships often seem to ignore the smoke cloud vomiting AP at them or only make one or two attempts to chase you off, letting you plink away at leisure. At least in the Leander, when you manage to score citadels they can be absolutely murderous - you've got a high enough ROF to keep pumping shells into them and no ship can survive that for long without changing something. The torpedoes are beautiful too, when you manage to use them to ambush someone.

I could be talking out of my rear end here, but I get the sense that the key to the RN cruisers is to abuse the hell out of hydro and smoke (ideally near an island edge so you can retreat into cover if people start getting aggressive and/or use it as an ambush site). Also, never ever ever expose your sides for longer than absolutely necessary unless you want to get aggravated. Pick on ships that are distracted shooting at someone else or that have a bunch of people already shooting at them. Don't try to go charging in alone; you should always be arriving with at least a couple of other ships so that everyone doesn't just gang up on you (this is why I generally start matches at 1/4 speed, occasionally moving up to 1/2 speed or full speed to keep up). The key thing to remember is that you're a harasser and a supporter - unless things go seriously wrong (or right) you aren't the one charging in guns blazing. Rather you pick off the enemy one at a time, repositioning as necessary. Don't forget to (ab)use your absurd acceleration, either.

Hope that helps! Admittedly I can't claim to know all the answers - I'm poo poo at this game and I'm still stuck on the Leander - so do take my "advice" with a healthy pile of salt.

Soup Inspector fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Nov 16, 2016

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
If they could fix the Leander's smoke so it consistently worked, that would be great. I slow down get the speed where the 1st puff will cover where I'm at but with enough speed to drift into the 2nd puff. Then the 2nd puff doesn't happen and I'm sitting there in the open.

Smoke is also a fun way to get every DD in the area to beeline towards it thinking they'll get an easy kill launching into a small cloud.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

CitizenKain posted:

If they could fix the Leander's smoke so it consistently worked, that would be great. I slow down get the speed where the 1st puff will cover where I'm at but with enough speed to drift into the 2nd puff. Then the 2nd puff doesn't happen and I'm sitting there in the open.

Smoke is also a fun way to get every DD in the area to beeline towards it thinking they'll get an easy kill launching into a small cloud.

Yeah, that's why I've taken to the probably less than wise option of just deploying smoke from full or 3/4 speed and then bumping into an island to bring myself to a dead stop (and hopefully if I've timed it right I'm either in smoke or can reverse a short distance into smoke). :shepface: Not in full view of the enemy team, mind, since that won't end well. As for the DD problem, that's why I try to pair my use of smoke with hydroacoustic search for early torpedo warning and attempt to avoid presenting a broadside view to DDs. If you can score hits consistently enough, in my experience it tends to dissuade all but the most persistent DDs.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Part of the issue with the RN line is that the T3-5 ships have significant issues. One is that they all have significant abovewater citadels, to go along with their practically nonexistent armor and not incredibly great handling. In contrast the T6-8 ones have waterline citadels, so while you still have pathetic armor, people at least need a modicum of skill at aiming to hit it. Emerald at least starts getting smoke which mitigates that weakness of the early cruisers.

The OTHER issue of the low tier RN cruisers is the early battleships. Namely, their extreme lack of superstructure for you to perforate with AP. The guns of Caledon and Danae in particular also do not seem to have exceptional amounts of penetration (though they do get the RN angle bonus), which means you can find early battleships extremely difficult to damage (bar a torpedo run), whereas once you get to the mid-tiers you actually have superstructure to hit.

I've gotten to the Emerald myself now (about halfway through) and I'm in many ways I'm finding it decently easier than the previous ships, despite the absurd number of T7 matches I'm seeing (seriously, 7 matches so far and 5 of them have been T7. 1 was T6, and the final was actually top tier). Part of it could be just adapting to the line, but I feel the smoke, better shells, and battleships actually possessing superstructure are also decent factors.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

For me an 'ah ha!' moment came when I realized that RN cruisers can (fragility aside) fight almost anything, as long as you play to that thing's counter. Against battleships, you have the smoke and speed to play almost like a destroyer that happens to have a citadel (and you generally don't want to go side on to a battleship any more than necessary even in a destroyer because big AP still takes off a relatively large chunk of health). Against cruisers you want to play a bit more like a battleship; since you have the repair to heal yourself and can still throw enough damage with AP out to win a lot of engagements, and against destroyers you want to play like a fairly normal cruiser, run them down and evade/tank the return fire (which, hey, sonar!). The RN cruisers, at least from tier 5 and up give you all of the tools you need to win fights, if you yourself have the capability to use them all. Hence why I think you have to be at least competent and ideally good at playing as each class of ship, because the flexibility almost forces you to shift styles on the fly in a way other cruisers don't, or for that matter, can't.

The downside is that you have to pay attention to loving *everything* at all times, and breaking situational awareness for even a moment can lead to death. RN cruisers can and do require razor-edge gameplay, but I think they're overall the best cruiser line. On the counterpoint, if you can't do what's needed for them to work, they're probably the worst cruiser line.

Also, I consider the tier 3 and 4 to still be excellent ships even without the smoke and such; you just have to accept that you'll do less damage to battleships, but can still thoroughly gently caress over most cruisers and destroyers.

Also, regarding the 1-2 smoke puffs, if I'm laying smoke for my cover, I find going full stop and hitting it when I'm going about 17-18 knots seems to work to give me 2 puffs, and a pretty big cover without blowing my concealment in the process. I'm still at the Emerald though, so if that issue is something that only happens above tier 5, welp.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Rorac posted:

Also, regarding the 1-2 smoke puffs, if I'm laying smoke for my cover, I find going full stop and hitting it when I'm going about 17-18 knots seems to work to give me 2 puffs, and a pretty big cover without blowing my concealment in the process. I'm still at the Emerald though, so if that issue is something that only happens above tier 5, welp.

Pretty sure its just the Leander.

Had to stop before getting the 2nd container tonight, people were just too bad. I had back to back 100k games in a Bayern, but just couldn't carry everything.

I really like the Bayern, its probably my favorite T6 battleship. It hits like a Warspite, but can really tank damage.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

CitizenKain posted:

Smoke works oddly depending on your speed. If you start setting at 15 knots, you will set a smoke cloud behind your ship, and likely not be in it, if you then drop to 12knots or slower, there will be a second puff (assuming you are NOT inside the smoke cloud) that covers you. However, if you are inside your smoke cloud already, the game likes to wait longer before setting a new puff to cover you. This just so happens to likely be too long an interval to happen before the british smoke runs out of active time. I've noticed the slower setting speed when experimenting with smoke in US DDs, you have to move pretty far away from the center of the smoke cloud while under 12 knots before it'll set a new puff to cover your advance, and it does not happen in time with all the normal puffs.

The key to getting 2 puffs and being inside the 2nd one is to start setting at 18ish knots (depends on your ship, of course) as you slow down. The first puff will be behind you, then you'll either be outside of it or quickly drift out. Then, you'll get your second puff at 12 knots, and be squarely inside. Then its just a matter of angling properly and changing position to begin firing.

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Nov 16, 2016

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Soup Inspector posted:

Yeah, that's why I've taken to the probably less than wise option of just deploying smoke from full or 3/4 speed and then bumping into an island to bring myself to a dead stop (and hopefully if I've timed it right I'm either in smoke or can reverse a short distance into smoke). :shepface: Not in full view of the enemy team, mind, since that won't end well. As for the DD problem, that's why I try to pair my use of smoke with hydroacoustic search for early torpedo warning and attempt to avoid presenting a broadside view to DDs. If you can score hits consistently enough, in my experience it tends to dissuade all but the most persistent DDs.

The tactical beaching is what I've been doing in my Emerald and Belfast because they seem to accelerate quite quickly, letting you adjust position.

The Belfast is a really great ship, shitlers have been loving up my WR in it obviously but easily some of my best games of WOWS have been in it. Last night I had a great one, went with 2 other cruisers on a sortie. They both exploded due to showing broadside to a North Carolina so I decided to tactically reposition, burning a Myoko mostly to death before vanishing with my camo. On my way back round the map a Gneisenau seemed to have sneaked through and blew 3/4 of my health off as soon as I saw it. Used cover and smoke wear it down with a combination of HE and AP. An enemy Nicholas tried to come and find me but the combination of Hydro to detect torps and Radar so he could never avoid detection made him straight forward to kill in the end. Had about 10% of my health left when I capped a point for the win.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Rorac posted:

For me an 'ah ha!' moment came when I realized that RN cruisers can (fragility aside) fight almost anything, as long as you play to that thing's counter. Against battleships, you have the smoke and speed to play almost like a destroyer that happens to have a citadel (and you generally don't want to go side on to a battleship any more than necessary even in a destroyer because big AP still takes off a relatively large chunk of health). Against cruisers you want to play a bit more like a battleship; since you have the repair to heal yourself and can still throw enough damage with AP out to win a lot of engagements, and against destroyers you want to play like a fairly normal cruiser, run them down and evade/tank the return fire (which, hey, sonar!). The RN cruisers, at least from tier 5 and up give you all of the tools you need to win fights, if you yourself have the capability to use them all. Hence why I think you have to be at least competent and ideally good at playing as each class of ship, because the flexibility almost forces you to shift styles on the fly in a way other cruisers don't, or for that matter, can't.

This is probably a good chunk of why I'm not doing too well since I only care for the cruisers. I've always been drawn to the average across the board option in games, and BBs seem like they'd be frustratingly slow whilst destroyers would probably be too fragile for my tastes (...says the man playing RN cruisers :v:). So thus far I've never played BBs or DDs. Although to be fair I think what I'm doing right now (hiding behind islands, ambushing with torpedoes, pelting from smoke) is probably not too far off from the DD playstyle, right?

The single puff issue aside, one problem I have with Leander smoke is that I can never remember how long it lasts since I don't exactly have the time to keep a mental count going in my head or anything.

Hazdoc posted:

The key to getting 2 puffs and being inside the 2nd one is to start setting at 18ish knots (depends on your ship, of course) as you slow down. The first puff will be behind you, then you'll either be outside of it or quickly drift out. Then, you'll get your second puff at 12 knots, and be squarely inside. Then its just a matter of angling properly and changing position to begin firing.

Sweet, good to know!

Also it might just be me, but it seems like ever since the weekend a lot of bad players have crawled out of the woodwork; my win rate has plummeted (not that it was ever particularly high to begin with).

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

I don't think i'm ever going to go for another try your luck container again. They jiggered the RNG on it or something because they have been wall to wall poo poo for the last 30 attempts.

Same.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Is there any good reason not to get the Belfast? I love destroyer gameplay and if my 50k+ damage games in the Caledon are an indication, British cruisers click with me.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Blindeye posted:

Is there any good reason not to get the Belfast? I love destroyer gameplay and if my 50k+ damage games in the Caledon are an indication, British cruisers click with me.

I don't think so, the guns are accurate and effective so you get 100+ hits a game easily (assuming you don't get vaporised early). I'm not very good and I make a minimum of 100k Credits a game.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Blindeye posted:

If you like the British cruisers of course you'll like the Belfast, it's a British cruiser with HE and Radar. And Hydro.

I'm really hesitating though because I just don't enjoy the smoke-and-shoot style. It's fine for destroyers because it's only one part of the experience, but clicking on superstructures for 20 minutes and watching the damage counter go up just reminds me of Cookie Clicker.

Also I juuust bought the Atago and it's loving awesome and I don't get to play the game enough anymore to justify another premium :negative:

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UfB3eiw6Rw

Hmmmm, another captain skill tree change rumored to be coming. I'm not sure what to think of these changes. More compact with some things being easier to get to, but there are some serious choices you'll have to make to double up on skills in certain tiers. Especially as a CV. That said, I think there is a tier in the current tree where there isn't a choice at all.

Chase blows off the evasive maneuver skill, but I assume that it'll function like the flat speed buff the planes get now when they are finished. Meaning, they should be even more effective at scouting thanks to the improved concealment they'll get.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Blindeye posted:

The thing is, unlike the tech tree RN cruisers it doesn't have torps. You mostly need to fight BB's with fire unless they give full broadside. Other than that it's just an awesome ship in pretty much every way and you can kick DD's off of caps like no other. A Belfast divisions extremely well with a Mahan or something like that because not only can you share smokes, his torps will also prevent things like Bismarcks to just yolo straight into your smoke cloud while you can do nothing.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

quote:

Keen Intuition: Shown, only to you, the direction of the nearest enemy ship (even if unspotted)

What a coincidence, I was just thinking that battleships really needed another buff against destroyers :negative:

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Vengarr posted:

What a coincidence, I was just thinking that battleships really needed another buff against destroyers :negative:

On the bright side, it means that bad players will be crippling themselves to make up for their lack of awareness.

What'll be the the BB/non-RN CA Tier 1 skill? Preventative Maintenance?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

AfroSquirrel posted:

On the bright side, it means that bad players will be crippling themselves to make up for their lack of awareness.

Depends how the new tree functions

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

NTRabbit posted:

Depends how the new tree functions

Regardless, it's at least 4 points that can't be spent on improving your ship's capabilities.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I'm just glad they're making 19 point captains (relatively) trivial to acquire if that change goes through.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Thanks for the advice to install the ROF mod on the Fletcher. Although it's only 12%, that extra half second helps when contesting a cap with another DD. I knife-fought a Benson and killed it while only losing about a quarter health.

Also, amazing is how angling really reduces incoming damage from Brit CL's. I was in my Scharnhorst last night when a Fiji opened up on me from smoke. First couple of volleys I was relatively broadside to him and the Brit AP took out a bunch of health, but once I was severely angled it did almost no damage. I kited him for a bit at about 13km range and once his smoke ran out, got a fun multi-citadel deletion on him.

TheFluff posted:

The thing is, unlike the tech tree RN cruisers it doesn't have torps. You mostly need to fight BB's with fire unless they give full broadside. Other than that it's just an awesome ship in pretty much every way and you can kick DD's off of caps like no other. A Belfast divisions extremely well with a Mahan or something like that because not only can you share smokes, his torps will also prevent things like Bismarcks to just yolo straight into your smoke cloud while you can do nothing.

Belfast divisions are also a lot of fun, sharing radar, sonar, and smoke. I did that a few days ago with another goon.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

AfroSquirrel posted:

What'll be the the BB/non-RN CA Tier 1 skill? Preventative Maintenance?

On the Mark seems useful for more agile/fragile light cruisers. I actually think heavy cruisers will prefer Expert Loader over Preventative Maintenance; I'm just not that worried about losing modules on a cruiser. PM will be highly useful for BBs though.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Lord Koth posted:

Apparently it can cause temporary chat bans too. But yeah, there's no long-term effect of in-game reporting of any sort.

No, that's only reporting someone for "misbehaving in chat." As far as I can tell playing poorly only effects your karma which effects I don't know.

Some pubbie told me it effects how long your pink for team killing and lowers the threshold for chat bans for "misbehaving in chat" reports, but I've got no reason to believe that's right or wrong.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

I don't think i'm ever going to go for another try your luck container again. They jiggered the RNG on it or something because they have been wall to wall poo poo for the last 30 attempts.

Counterpoint I've been grabbing them since containers were released too and have seen exactly jack poo poo vs some of the people in here.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Same here, with the exception of the 250 extinguishers that were rather redundant over the 250 free given to everyone with an account.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Really dubious about that specific tree at the very least. Regardless of whether there's a change coming or not, I'm somewhat doubtful of WG introducing a skill called "Fog for the Fog God", for instance. The HEAP skill seems nonsensical too for any number of reasons - not least of which is that HEAP rounds are incendiary by their very nature. l. Also, Evasive Expert is complete and utter poo poo. Not only does it delay your next strike, but in terms of supposed buff I have never had the detectability of my aircraft be an issue for them returning. Speed reduction means the survivability buff is mostly cancelled out as well.

The actual power of the skills seems all over the place too, even within the same tiers. At well over a year in I'd have vaguely hoped WG had enough data to figure out what the relative use of some of these skills is.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Blindeye posted:

Pros vs regular RN:
Radar, Smoke, and Hydro are an incredibly powerful package for crushing enemy DDs and cruisers.
HE fire allows for decent damage against even angled enemy BBs.

Cons vs regular RN:
No heals.
Belfast doesn't sport the short-fuse AP like the rest of the RN line, meaning that the high damage numbers you see on destroyers and lightly-armored cruisers in regular RN cruisers you don't see on the Belfast.
No torps. If you get rushed by an enemy BB in your smoke, and you've positioned yourself away from any teammates who can change that BB's mind, you're hosed.

Personally, the Belfast has quickly become my favorite premium. It has a lot of the advantages of the Kutuzov, plus radar and more advantageous matchmaking.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I think some of the individual skills are :rolleyes:, but whatever they end up with, ditching the five point skill is a good move, IMO. That alone cuts down the almost required path that's laid out for different ship classes in the current meta. I'd also love for them to drop the doubloon cost (and give a credit option) for respeccing captains so different builds can be easily tried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

MoraleHazard posted:

Also, amazing is how angling really reduces incoming damage from Brit CL's.

I've heard this is one of the problems with the RN CL line - if the enemy has any idea of how to angle whatsoever then you're basically reduced to doing scratch damage.

On that note, I'm semi-curious what changes (if any) people want to see for the RN cruiser line (or even just cruisers in general, since I've heard they're kind of marginalised past a certain tier).