Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
http://www.psp-tv.com/r/NiteCrew
This poll is closed.
500562 49.92%
139 0.01%
153 0.02%
500888 49.95%
940 0.09%
Total: 1002682 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
MacFoon
Jul 25, 2007
I’m black.

I hope that this Trump mess turns out to just be total incompetence/inefficiency/gov’t shutdown, rather than dystopian 4th reich.

Maybe I’ll get trampled in a ration line riot/shot in the head and death will come quickly, and won’t be sent to Gitmo when DHS head David Clarke decides that black people (who aren't him) are sleeper agents of ISIS. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Serf posted:

Reality is now decided by consensus and journalism is no longer trustworthy to a majority of the population. They have been obsoleted in favor of media dogs who cater to the new tyranny of self-absorbed idiots. Get with the program.

It's not even close to a majority there

Stay calm, worried cat

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

euphronius posted:

Journalism isn't dead. It's dead for trump voters sure but there are still important uses for it

media outlets are going to make a shitload of money covering this administration

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/796364425003495424
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/798545250264424448

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

euphronius posted:

Also just lol that trump wants to keep the good parts of Obamacare and repeal the rest

Just lol on so many loving levels . It's a lol tesseract. A Lolleract

i lol every time i remember the bad parts are the things you have to do to pay for the good parts

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

mastershakeman posted:

why isn't trump televising himself interviewing wannabe cabinet members he's missing such an opportunity here

Can't tell if you're serious but actually surprised by this as well. And also surprised there hasn't been an announced Apprentice: Presidential Cabinet Edition sometime during sweeps week to finalize all the cabinet spots.

Serf
May 5, 2011

euphronius posted:

It's not even close to a majority there

Stay calm, worried cat

lmao half the population didn't vote and the other half selected Donald Trump thanks to an outdated system that should be scrapped, much like journalism lol

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

yeah, I'm going to go ahead and stop believing every journalist twitter post until poo poo is confirmed with an article.

seems like there's no reason to believe some things, like Trump asking for security clearance for family members until they're actually granted it.

believing stupid twitter posts that don't have evidence is exactly what the Trumpistas do, though they prefer the racist or islamaphobic ones

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Not going to talk to you anymore serf. :)

Feeling good today

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Serf posted:

lmao half the population didn't vote and the other half selected Donald Trump thanks to an outdated system that should be scrapped, much like journalism lol

less than a quarter voted for trump.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Have we taken any bets on how many months it'll take Trump to tweet classified information to defend himself?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

euphronius posted:

Journalism isn't dead. It's dead for trump voters sure but there are still important uses for it

Like propaganda.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Darkman Fanpage posted:

less than a quarter voted for trump.

and yet it was that quarter that gave us the apocalypse lmao

Serf
May 5, 2011

spunkshui posted:

Like propaganda.

see this one gets it

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/nov/16/globalization-trump-inequality-thomas-piketty

quote:

Let it be said at once: Trump’s victory is primarily due to the explosion in economic and geographic inequality in the United States over several decades and the inability of successive governments to deal with this.

The tragedy is that Trump’s program will only strengthen the trend towards inequality. He intends to abolish the health insurance laboriously granted to low-paid workers under Obama and to set the country on a headlong course into fiscal dumping, with a reduction from 35% to 15% in the rate of federal tax on corporation profits, whereas to date the United States had resisted this trend, already witnessed in Europe.

The main lesson for Europe and the world is clear: as a matter of urgency, globalization must be fundamentally re-oriented. The main challenges of our times are the rise in inequality and global warming. We must therefore implement international treaties enabling us to respond to these challenges and to promote a model for fair and sustainable development.

loving lol @ Capitalism still being workable as long as it's "fundamentally re-oriented"

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Catnip is the opiate of the masses
Soiled Meat

comingafteryouall posted:

yeah, I'm going to go ahead and stop believing every journalist twitter post until poo poo is confirmed with an article.

seems like there's no reason to believe some things, like Trump asking for security clearance for family members until they're actually granted it.

the security clearance thing was in multiple articles, so if you're gonna adopt this policy you should probably start looking at some news sites

Serf
May 5, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/nov/16/globalization-trump-inequality-thomas-piketty

loving lol @ Capitalism still being workable as long as it's "fundamentally re-oriented"

how anyone could look at that list of things we have to do and not see human extinction in the near future is beyond me

death is certain

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

gradenko_2000 posted:

Heavily regulated and restrained capitalism is not incompatible with a strong social democracy or, hell, even straight up worker-owned factories.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

spunkshui posted:

Like propaganda.

One of my friends posted this story from one of our local news stations with the headline "34 Trump Protesters DIDN'T VOTE!"

The news stations in Cleveland are hilariously, ridiculously in the bag for the GOP; with the exception of our local Fox affiliate, ironically.

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.
Ok, let's see if I've got this right. You're telling me that Trump is...bad? Donald J Trump? I don't know, you guys might need to check your numbers because that's not adding up to me.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

1. Reporting on Jared Kushner being granted security clearance is counter-productive, as it has already happened.

2. Reporting on the possibility of it happening puts subject on the defensive, as in order to deny it, they have to not do it. Even if we grant that Trump never actually wanted to give Kushner the clearance, the fact that he's now said he never wanted to, means he can't without going back on his word.

And yes pre-emptive "lol so what if Trump goes back on his word haha nothing matters"

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

believing stupid twitter posts that don't have evidence is exactly what the Trumpistas do, though they prefer the racist or islamaphobic ones

articles were written about the security clearance for family members as well, those same journalists tweeting are the authors of those articles

when there isn't concrete information you are going to have a swell of anonymous and unnamed sources spreading all kinds of contradictory information, kinda got to do your own due diligence in sorting through the pile

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Catnip is the opiate of the masses
Soiled Meat

BUSH 2112 posted:

One of my friends posted this story from one of our local news stations with the headline "34 Trump Protesters DIDN'T VOTE!"

The news stations in Cleveland are hilariously, ridiculously in the bag for the GOP; with the exception of our local Fox affiliate, ironically.

the right-wing rags in Canada can beat that for journalistic honesty, they ran with "Half of Trump protestors didn't vote"

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Piketty writes a book called Capital In the 21st Century, comes to the conclusion that capitalism just needs to be reworked.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

gradenko_2000 posted:

I agree with all of this except health care wasn't "laboriously granted to low-paid workers", they just passed a law that required them to buy it out of pocket. Pretty far cry from a a real plan like single payer.

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Nov 16, 2016

Serf
May 5, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

Heavily regulated and restrained capitalism is not incompatible with a strong social democracy or, hell, even straight up worker-owned factories.

the problem is that we absolutely will not do those things under any circumstances because we are fundamentally incapable of doing it

again: the greatest lie capitalism ever perpetuated is that you too can benefit from it

who would ever want to restrain a system that is surely gonna one day reward them for all their hard work? that would be insane in the capitalist mindset. we've deluded ourselves with the myth of "making it" so much that we've doomed ourselves as a species

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/brianbeutler/status/798773415863730176

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

euphronius posted:

Not going to talk to you anymore serf. :)

Feeling good today

:rolleyes:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

euphronius posted:

Also just lol that trump wants to keep the good parts of Obamacare and repeal the rest

Let me guess, the good part is "getting health care" and the bad part is "paying for it"?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/Fahrenthold/status/798893954490056704

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Misc posted:

Piketty writes a book called Capital In the 21st Century, comes to the conclusion that capitalism just needs to be reworked.

The issue isn't that Piketty is wrong from an academic perspective, it's that his proposed solutions are impossible from a practical perspective.

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

MacFoon posted:

I’m black.

I hope that this Trump mess turns out to just be total incompetence/inefficiency/gov’t shutdown, rather than dystopian 4th reich.

Maybe I’ll get trampled in a ration line riot/shot in the head and death will come quickly, and won’t be sent to Gitmo when DHS head David Clarke decides that black people (who aren't him) are sleeper agents of ISIS. :unsmith:

Honestly, I think we have to stop hoping that it's going to be ok and start preparing for the worst. The election is over. Donald Trump won and is going to be president. From this point forward, all of the norms of the federal government are out the window. For me, out of all of his significant personality disorders, the one that scares me right now is the fact that the next President will be a person who lies with such impunity that we will literally not be able to believe a single thing he (or any of his staff) says.

I think he is likely to start making claims based on intelligence information which are completely untrue. Who is going to call him out on that?

For me, I have a multi part plan:
1. Give money to news organizations. So far, beyond my usual subscriptions, I've started subscribing to the Washington Post and the LA Times. Will probably add the NYT and ProPublicia to the mix as well.
2. Volunteer at organizations which defend the people most vulnerable to the Trump presidency.
3. #CalExit as a backup plan if poo poo really hits the fan.

The other thing I've been thinking about is a mass income tax revolt, but am not sure of the implications. What would happen to the federal government if 30-40% of the population didn't file or pay their taxes by April 15?

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U24OvWVdVwA

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

gradenko_2000 posted:

Capitalism would probably be fine if we were willing to hit a big loving RESET button on it every 100 years or so. Those interim years after its hit and before we get out poo poo back together unfortunately would just suck.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Serf posted:

the problem is that we absolutely will not do those things under any circumstances because we are fundamentally incapable of doing it

again: the greatest lie capitalism ever perpetuated is that you too can benefit from it

who would ever want to restrain a system that is surely gonna one day reward them for all their hard work? that would be insane in the capitalist mindset. we've deluded ourselves with the myth of "making it" so much that we've doomed ourselves as a species

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

confused posted:

The other thing I've been thinking about is a mass income tax revolt, but am not sure of the implications. What would happen to the federal government if 30-40% of the population didn't file or pay their taxes by April 15?

Good question, but in terms of funding the government: not a lot, I'd imagine. High-income earners and corps are required to pay their federal taxes quarterly, not annually iirc

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

:siren: WE'VE GONE GODWIN EVERYBODY :siren:

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

:bisonyes:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

The Nastier Nate posted:

Capitalism would probably be fine if we were willing to hit a big loving RESET button on it every 100 years or so.
It was called World War 2, and I don't think it's any coincidence that we're coming up a hundred years since and the pressure is getting incredible.

Thing is, the costs involved in the reset are way too high now with the invention of the atomic bomb - we can't afford a World War 3, and even if every nuke spontaneously disappeared and WW3 was fought conventionally, you've still got the impending collapse of the biosphere as a second hourglass whose sand is almost up.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Serf posted:

But capitalism doesn't reward anyone for hard work, that's what seizing the means is for so you're stripping out the rear end in a top hat boss slurping up 80% of the revenue. Capitalism rewards people for selling at a markup and producing on the cheap. It's the outgrowth of an obsession with cottage industry in the face of an industrializing world and doesn't account for the way a basketweaver on a farm actually owned their own "factory" whereas textile mills straight up turned children into machinery. Having a steel mill owned by a workers collective doesn't preclude a loving market for steel, but it does protect the steel workers from being seen as a faceless cost to be minimized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

But with

• Locked thread