Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

OldPueblo posted:

So yeah that's dumb but also I linked the wrong video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HudXvIC8gps

This one shows the ability to launch Cortana from the lock screen, and Hey Cortana works everywhere in CyanogenOS not just within the app. That's the stuff I wanted. :( I really question now why MS hasn't just created a custom ROM with all embedded services and people can add gapps on their own.

Funny sidenote, my wife asked me if she could switch back to her Lumia 950 since it worked better and she's not one of "those app people". A tiny win for Microsoft. Sadly I had already sold it. :v:

Congrats on killing Cyanogen too :)

https://www.engadget.com/2016/10/10/cyanogen-no-mobile-os-modular-android-custom/

I did also like the idea of having an Android version that was more Microsoft centric, but that seems to be dead now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
Who's still using Windows Phones? The NYPD.

quote:

Microsoft may have all but given up on Windows Phones, but rookies in the New York City Police Department are now getting them with their gun and badge. As CNET reports, the NYPD only started handing out department-issued smartphones and email addresses in 2015, and the official device of the largest police force in the United States are the Lumia 830 and Lumia 640 XL.

Those phones debuted in late 2014 and early 2015, respectively and the department reportedly passed on iOS and Android devices because the Windows Phone platform offered the best remote management and security features. The NYPD and Microsoft also worked collaborated on a suite of crime-fighting apps like a direct 911 line that goes to an officer rather than a dispatcher, a police records search, in-house messaging, a case management system and a media library for training videos and policy updates. According to the department, the ability to route 911 calls directly to officers has dropped the response time for crimes in progress by over 12 percent.

While those Nokia workhorse might seem a little bit out of date, CNET notes the department is looking into upgrading to Windows 10 devices by next summer. And, in any case, any smartphone at all is a vast improvement over the department's previous policy -- a downright archaic system of shared voice mailboxes.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender
There's something to be said for security through obscurity.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Krailor posted:

There's something to be said for security through obscurity.

Yes and that is its worthless against a dedicated opponent and more likely to give you a false sense of security then securoty. Granted it's the only security mechanism used most places but most things are never attacked by a smart dedicated opponent.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
Alright, there's a weird thing going on on my wife's Lumia 640 that I'm not experiencing at all on my own Lumia 640.

At the end of august we moved to Bulgaria, and got Bulgarian SIMs(both from the same provider, same plan and everything) At the time, everything worked as it should.

A week or two ago I decided to finally get her phone updated from 8.1 to 10, using the Upgrade Advisor app. I've been running 10 for about a year via the Insider program with the occasional bug or hiccup.

Here's the thing though: Ever since updating to 10 her phone changes its display language and region to Bulgarian, and removes everything else. It's relatively easy to switch it back to Dutch for her(takes two reboots), but it's rather annoying that this has to be done on every reboot and every software update. Meanwhile, I'm not experiencing any issues at all. This also didn't happen on 8.1, only on 10.

Differences between settings: I'm running Insider, she's on the regular release ring. I've also got my phone set up in US English with UK as country/region, and Dutch as regional format, and both US English and Dutch as keyboard languages. Her phone is normally set up with Dutch(Belgian) for all of these settings.

Any explanation or should I just restore her phone to factory defaults and hope this doesn't happen again? Or am I just missing a setting that also has to be changed when changing language and region options back to Dutch?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The touch input on my 640 is getting really janky; swiping up to input my pin usually takes a few goes, and when I tap one key after another on the keyboard, shape writing sometimes kicks in and draws a line between the two points. It is annoying, to say the least.

Edit: It seems to be based on the speed at which I do things, like it can no longer keep up.

Edit 2: And now my charger has died, so I finally caved and bought a 950. I was going to get one at the end of the year, so what's a couple of months either way?

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Oct 18, 2016

Howmuch
Apr 29, 2008
Well, my 950XL just decided to update and now when I turn it on it just shows me a blue screen with "BitLocker Recovery" and that I should plug in a USB drive that has the BitLocker recovery key...

What?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Man. That sounds super-bad. As in the basic knowing of the terms in that post hints at you likely having lost all the contents on your phone bad. I hope not though.

Howmuch
Apr 29, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Man. That sounds super-bad. As in the basic knowing of the terms in that post hints at you likely having lost all the contents on your phone bad. I hope not though.

Photos and all my documents are synced to onedrive, contacts are all on google contacts, apps can be reinstalled... I don't think I really have anything that important on the phone itself.

Anyone seen this error before? I just downloaded something from MS called WindowsDeviceRecoveryTool since googling tells me this could help (although it clears all data).

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I've seen that before on my surface and usually rebooting makes it go away.

Howmuch
Apr 29, 2008

CharlesM posted:

I've seen that before on my surface and usually rebooting makes it go away.

Been rebooting again and again and it always just pops up with the BitLocker screen.
Probably going to go with that tool from MS.

Edit: Ran the recovery tool from MS and the phone got completely reset.
But, the photo gallery automatically synced with onedrive so I didn't lose any photos.
All my stuff seems to have been automatically synced. All the phone is missing is the bunch of useless apps I downloaded.

Howmuch fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Oct 22, 2016

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Using the recovery tool is always the best solution for most cases and if you do a backup of your apps, it takes 20 mins to reset the phone and get it running with everything again. More so if you are running preview builds.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Howmuch posted:

Anyone seen this error before? I just downloaded something from MS called WindowsDeviceRecoveryTool since googling tells me this could help (although it clears all data).
Yeah, I just had that happen to my 635. WDRT was the only way I could find to recover.

Incidentally, it is possible to update to production builds on the 512MB version of the 635, even though it's unsupported. I had to go 8.1 factory image --> latest 8.1 build --> Insider build of WM10 --> production build of WM10. I'm pretty sure it took over four hours, with close babysitting. :cripes:

I sort of want to pick up a 650, but the app situation seems to be getting worse and worse.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

The ATT/Cricket 640 is like $25 and beats the 635. It's poo poo compared to my 950XL but the screen is in less pieces.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Is there any way of switching the audio output for Continuum? I'm connected via the display dock and Windows is convinced that the monitor has a speaker, which it very much doesn't, so I have no sound whatsoever.

Edit: Never mind, Windows 10 desktop was also reporting that I could play sound through the monitor, so I found an audio jack on the monitor to connect my PC speaker to and now both PC and phone play audio through it just fine.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 24, 2016

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/new-product/mobile-phone/surface-phone-live-stream-uk-release-date-feature-rumours-3627431/

OMG quick hold your breath!

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Weird article, even by Surface Phone hype train standards. Not a single mention of all the insiders saying maybe late 2017 at best, and it will just be embarrassingly wrong less than 24 hours from being published.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm not sure what people are expecting out of a Surface Phone; it would just be a fancy Windows 10 Mobile device. People seem really hung up on the branding.

I'd like to hope there's a Surface 4 incoming, and details on the next big mobile-focused Windows 10 update. Either of those will make me happy.

Edit: vvv Fair point.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Oct 26, 2016

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Even if Microsoft had any history of being able to keep a secret a 5.7" touch cover seems like the possibly stupidest thing ever, so, yeah, going to have to call that fake.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I'm not sure what people are expecting out of a Surface Phone; it would just be a fancy Windows 10 Mobile device. People seem really hung up on the branding.

I am not sure you have noticed, but Windows 10 Mobile devices, of just about any description, are increasingly rare. It represents a minimum level of commitment suggesting the platform may yet survive.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Oct 26, 2016

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah people that want Windows Phone to succeed feel that a sort of single device Surface Phone approach may help turn some positive public opinion their way and maybe stave off the death of the platform.

I mean it won't work, but it's a nice thought.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
No surface phone announcement. gently caress you microsoft.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Nope, but the phone was pictured. They may be waiting to flesh things out a bit more where the implication of the phone just being a "smaller device" means they don't have to call it out specifically. That would be a dream world.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Partycat posted:

Nope, but the phone was pictured. They may be waiting to flesh things out a bit more where the implication of the phone just being a "smaller device" means they don't have to call it out specifically. That would be a dream world.

I didn't watch the thing but the screenshots I saw looked like the HP elite x3?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Yeah, sources have been pretty insistent that a Surface Phone is a year away if it exists. Unfortunate for us all, as the x3 seems a device of narrow appeal. Neat new stuff though, so I guess I'll live v:shobon:v

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Yeah, sources have been pretty insistent that a Surface Phone is a year away if it exists. Unfortunate for us all, as the x3 seems a device of narrow appeal. Neat new stuff though, so I guess I'll live v:shobon:v

yeah, Tom Warren and Mary Joe Foley say late 2017 vs early 2018 for any new microsoft phone. surface phone and messaging everywhere means i'm happy with windows phone for the foreseeable future. Abscense of both means i've ordered a google pixel and look forward to setting up pushbullet. I tend to get a new phone every year so we'll see what microsoft does in a year.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The pictures app on my phone keeps making new albums of recent pictures with the date written in Spanish and I have no idea why. It only did it a couple of times initially but it's started doing it daily. Is there any way of stopping it, and why in the hell is it titling them in a language I have never downloaded or set on any Windows device?

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
Check your One Drive settings. I keep getting new albums because OD creates it, and my pics are synced through that.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The pictures app on my phone keeps making new albums of recent pictures with the date written in Spanish and I have no idea why. It only did it a couple of times initially but it's started doing it daily. Is there any way of stopping it, and why in the hell is it titling them in a language I have never downloaded or set on any Windows device?

Yeah, I've been getting this too, and notification this has happened on my desktops. Where's the toggle to stop this nonsense?

EDIT: any recommends for a QI charger for the 950? My original Nokia/Fatboy gave up, and now it seems there are new QI standards with what seems like faster charging. Does the 950 support these or is it best to go with the older types?

Amazon has a bunch but most look like cheap-o no-name brands with suspicious discount pricing. Who is Cheotech anyway? I'd prefer an ultra-slim lie-flat mat (why aren't any made of fabric like a mousemat? Why do they all have a a chunk to them?). Failing that I'll probably default for a Tylt Vu. Your collective goon-sourced knowledge is most appreciated.

https://www.amazon.com/Nokia-DT-901-Wireless-Charging-Pillow/dp/B00A7QZ3KO/
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DG8NUC8/
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C40OG22/

EDIT EDIT: there seems to have been an update to the old Nokia plate from about a year ago which doesn't seem available any more. What is this one all about?

https://www.microsoft.com/en/mobile/accessory/dt-904/

Mr Funkface fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 1, 2016

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
I just got a 950 and it's so much better than the 640XL. The only problem is that none of my ringtones or text tones were saved and the the app I used no longer has most of them. It's weirdly jarring to not have custom sounds for everything. What are you people using for ringtones? Is it hard to make your own?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

wookieepelt posted:

I just got a 950 and it's so much better than the 640XL. The only problem is that none of my ringtones or text tones were saved and the the app I used no longer has most of them. It's weirdly jarring to not have custom sounds for everything. What are you people using for ringtones? Is it hard to make your own?

I just use audacity or mp3 toolkit to edit sounds and then put them on the ringtones folder on the phone's internal memory, it's all you need really.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The latest public build has really helped with the temperature of my 950; it still runs warm when charging and doing certain things, but it no longer runs close to hot, which makes me less worried that it's about to explode.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Is there anywhere I can download the Nokia Lumia 800 notification and alarm sounds?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
So i finally gave up and replaced my windows phone with a Pixel. Kind of what happens when there isn't a new one on verizon for a few years. Hopefully there is a surface phone by the time I'm ready to replace my new phone

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

The Glumslinger posted:

So i finally gave up and replaced my windows phone with a Pixel. Kind of what happens when there isn't a new one on verizon for a few years. Hopefully there is a surface phone by the time I'm ready to replace my new phone

How come you're so eager to replace the Pixel? From what I hear it's a great phone.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I really wish now that Microsoft killed the Lumia line, that they made a good WP launcher for android. I'm using a knockoff that certainly does great but it lacks live tiles. At the other hand that launcher lets me make widget tiles.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

WattsvilleBlues posted:

How come you're so eager to replace the Pixel? From what I hear it's a great phone.

The Glumslinger posted:

Hopefully there is a surface phone by the time I'm ready to replace my new phone

Considering they apparently had a Verizon Windows Phone, they go awhile before being ready for a new phone

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

The Glumslinger posted:

Same here but on ATT. I miss live tiles, mytube and readit. Those are some of the best apps in their category on any OS I think although third party youtube apps are somewhat persona non grata on android. Cortana's third party integration is missed as well. Huetro for hue could do remote voice commands to turn on my hue lights where as far as I can tell android can't.

otherwise the pixel is pretty darn snappy.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
Am I crazy for wanting to get the new Alcatel 4s windows on Tmobile? Or is WP still the same as it was 9 months ago?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

You're crazy but jokes aside, stuff didn't change much. If you used the Amazon app say goodbye to it and get used to buy through their website instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Guillermus posted:

You're crazy