Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

VideoGames posted:

As I said in the general chat thread, I am amazed at how much better the SE runs than regular skyrim. It's absolutely nuts and I cannot wait for all the main mods to be ported over so I can play a much more stable game!

It's pretty drat good. My initial disappointment at having to wait for the trickle of standard edition mods is overshadowed by how great it feels to play. I could play a mostly vanilla game this way.

Edit: Anyone know off the top of your head if the Outlaw origin from Live Another Life makes the Companions hostile? I keep stumbling on them fighting the giant and they're aggressive on sight.

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Nov 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

I installed it on my last Oldrim playthrough, and found it to be an overhyped wreck that was only barely stable at the best of times. YMMV of course, but I got zero satisfaction from the museum's existence.

if you aren't a completionist you won't find anything in the museum for you

but if you're like me and played morrowind for hundreds of hours trying to fill the museum of artifacts in mournhold it's really really cool

V17 should be even better because he's going through and purging all the lose ends and nonworking garbage, hopefully he can rewrite the autosort script to not take a minute

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

if you aren't a completionist you won't find anything in the museum for you

but if you're like me and played morrowind for hundreds of hours trying to fill the museum of artifacts in mournhold it's really really cool

V17 should be even better because he's going through and purging all the lose ends and nonworking garbage, hopefully he can rewrite the autosort script to not take a minute

I wish that random mods weren't integrated like moonpath to elsweyr

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Does modorganiser work with the SE? In fact, is there a thread for the SE or a handy post explaining what can current be used best of all for the SE? (Tools and mods).

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

VideoGames posted:

Does modorganiser work with the SE? In fact, is there a thread for the SE or a handy post explaining what can current be used best of all for the SE? (Tools and mods).
It doesn't.

Use the nexus mod manager and the updated version of Loot (through the NMM). Its pretty straightforward, very similar to MO.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Jordan7hm posted:

It doesn't.

Use the nexus mod manager and the updated version of Loot (through the NMM). Its pretty straightforward, very similar to MO.

Actually, it does work with this plugin MO2.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/1725/

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
So I might have just missed it in its settings, but is there a way to have VioLens apply kill moves only on NPCs rather than on me? It really sucks getting chomped to death by a dragon from 50-75% of my health when there's no reason why that should happen. I know the old mod that VioLens revamped let you do that, but I didn't see a setting in VioLens itself. I get a kick out of the weird bullet time arrows.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

CascadeBeta posted:

So I might have just missed it in its settings, but is there a way to have VioLens apply kill moves only on NPCs rather than on me? It really sucks getting chomped to death by a dragon from 50-75% of my health when there's no reason why that should happen. I know the old mod that VioLens revamped let you do that, but I didn't see a setting in VioLens itself. I get a kick out of the weird bullet time arrows.

The option should be called "Player Killmove Immunity"

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

If I had a Pikachu, it'd probably eat my stuff.
Has anyone else been having problems with Skyrim SE since patch 1.2? Currently the game is incredibly unstable and is prone to locking up which requires force closing the program through the task manager. Normally I get a few graphical glitches where my weapon will flash red or green as if there is a texture problem and then will lock up. Sound will play for a few minutes then cut out. It seems to be certain areas that do it. At first it was just Bonechill passage but it's mainly in caves and dungeons and mainly in combat.

I've updated my graphics card drivers and I've also made sure the game is set to use my graphics card rather than the integrated preset. I've switched over to the NMM and have run LOOT to organise my load order. I've tried windowed mode, running steam in various comparability modes and the game continues to freeze or lock up completely after a few minutes of play. I'm running out of ideas bar just waiting to see if another patch can fix what's wrong. I've also tried switching all mods off. As the game worked perfectly up until Friday I can only assume it was the patch that did it.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Old hard drive? SSD? Your specs? etc

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Serenity Dove posted:

Has anyone else been having problems with Skyrim SE since patch 1.2? Currently the game is incredibly unstable and is prone to locking up which requires force closing the program through the task manager. Normally I get a few graphical glitches where my weapon will flash red or green as if there is a texture problem and then will lock up. Sound will play for a few minutes then cut out. It seems to be certain areas that do it. At first it was just Bonechill passage but it's mainly in caves and dungeons and mainly in combat.

I've updated my graphics card drivers and I've also made sure the game is set to use my graphics card rather than the integrated preset. I've switched over to the NMM and have run LOOT to organise my load order. I've tried windowed mode, running steam in various comparability modes and the game continues to freeze or lock up completely after a few minutes of play. I'm running out of ideas bar just waiting to see if another patch can fix what's wrong. I've also tried switching all mods off. As the game worked perfectly up until Friday I can only assume it was the patch that did it.

Do a file integrity check through steam. Odds are you have a borked file, and Steam will redownload it after checking the hashes of all the files.

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

If I had a Pikachu, it'd probably eat my stuff.
Sorry I forgot to list my specs.

Lenovo Y510P Laptop
Processor: Intel Core i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40 GHz
8gb ram
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M

I just tried checking the file integrity of the game through steam and I'm still freezing after 1 minute of play. It's really odd as the game was working perfectly and running pretty smooth on low settings until Friday/Saturday.

lunatikfringe
Jan 22, 2003

Serenity Dove posted:

Sorry I forgot to list my specs.

Lenovo Y510P Laptop
Processor: Intel Core i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40 GHz
8gb ram
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M

I just tried checking the file integrity of the game through steam and I'm still freezing after 1 minute of play. It's really odd as the game was working perfectly and running pretty smooth on low settings until Friday/Saturday.

Run it in windowed mode and have the process monitor open and minimized in the tray so you can keep your eye on CPU utilization. Also maybe install a CPU temp monitor as well. Its not unheard of for a laptop to overheat and run unstable.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Thanks to the OP for an excellent mod list.

I originally played skyrim on a ps3 and loved it in spite of everything. Saw the special edition coming out, read some reviews, decided to be be a cheap prick and just picked up the legendary edition for £10.

Seeing as I'd never played the DLC, I figured I wouldn't gently caress with it too much. I just grabbed a few weapons/armour mods, the fantastic apocalypse magic mod and some QOL stuff. I'm on a laptop so didn't go in for the graphical overhauls. I'll play through once and then continue adding in new content.

To anyone considering picking up skyrim and modding: it seems intimidating, but its pretty simple. I am by no means proficient with computer fuckery these days but was able to get things going in a few hours. Get Mod Manager, it's easy to use. Look at the STEP guide in the op - I actually did very little of what they said, but you will learn things anyway. Mod away, immediately acquire a crossbow, sneak up on someone, click the mouse and giggle as they crumple in one shot.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
My brother loves Fallout New Vegas's Increased Wasteland Spawns mod. The OP lists Extra Encounters Reborn which seems to cover the same territory for Skyrim. Any other mods for that kind of thing worth looking at?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Huh. I got one of those rare crashes involving a dragon crashing. Hard locked my entire computer.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

el dingo posted:

To anyone considering picking up skyrim and modding: it seems intimidating, but its pretty simple. I am by no means proficient with computer fuckery these days but was able to get things going in a few hours. Get Mod Manager, it's easy to use. Look at the STEP guide in the op - I actually did very little of what they said, but you will learn things anyway. Mod away, immediately acquire a crossbow, sneak up on someone, click the mouse and giggle as they crumple in one shot.

Mod Organizer is actually wicked easy to use coming from NMM. Maybe even more streamlined with cooler advanced features once you get your feet wet. Modding has actually become half the fun.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Monolith. posted:

Mod Organizer is actually wicked easy to use coming from NMM. Maybe even more streamlined with cooler advanced features once you get your feet wet. Modding has actually become half the fun.

Hopefully the next iteration of the NMM will be as streamlined as MO was since they've got that guy working on it.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Cernunnos posted:

Hopefully the next iteration of the NMM will be as streamlined as MO was since they've got that guy working on it.

Is there any ETA on that?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Cernunnos posted:

How is it not streamlined right now? Download, activate, run the sorting program, run the game. It seems like the same thing as MO.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Jordan7hm posted:

How is it not streamlined right now? Download, activate, run the sorting program, run the game. It seems like the same thing as MO.

For some reason I couldn't locate the sorting feature in NMM, I've just been using LOOT for that.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Two Beans posted:

For some reason I couldn't locate the sorting feature in NMM, I've just been using LOOT for that.

Yeah I use Loot too, but it's a one button click thing right from NMM. I also used LOOT for MO when I did regular edition modding because I heard MO's sorting functionality was less than ideal.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

That Ignorant Sap posted:

I've used Basic Crossbows Collections before and enjoyed it. Adds craftable crossbows made with other materials to the world. The mod page also suggests another mod incorporating mods from the first. Haven't tried that one myself.

Sadly, this doesn't seem to work. I waited 48 hours in game and they're not appearing in shops nor on my forge menu. I do use Perkus Maximus and the Complete Crafting Overhaul though and the mod is all the way at the end of the load order.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Did anyone else lose frames after the last update?

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.

Monolith. posted:

Sadly, this doesn't seem to work. I waited 48 hours in game and they're not appearing in shops nor on my forge menu. I do use Perkus Maximus and the Complete Crafting Overhaul though and the mod is all the way at the end of the load order.

Hmm, weird. I don't use either of those, so unsure about possible conflicts... all I can suggest is checking that you got the version that includes the leveled lists? Made a bashed patch? Never had any issues, and crossbows were plentiful in the world after installation . Bandits seemed to have a particular fondness for orcish crossbows.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

Monolith. posted:

Oops, I did actually mean to type mod organizer in the first place.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I'm a little confused with SPERG about
"Warning: The installer is a little messed up, you need to move the file SKSE_Elys_Uncapper.ini from the data\SPERG\SKSE\Plugins folder to data\SKSE\Plugins. You'll also need to make sure you move the Dragonborn and Dawnguard patches out of the Optional folder."

I found the file I'm supposed to move, but where does it go? e: actually i'm not even sure anymore if I know where the original file is. I'm using mod organizer. I noticed I was getting perks every level, also it doesn't seem like my destruction skill is leveling as fast as it should be.

Okay I found the plug in file in SPERGS folder, should I put it in the plug in folder of the Uncapper's directory?

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Nov 16, 2016

Mr.Grit
Jul 16, 2006
That would work for the uncapper but all you really need to do is just cut the files in the embedded sperg folder, hit back space then paste them right there in the main folder. Then just make sure sperg loads after skyrim community uncapper. Also activate sperg-dg and sperg-db esps in your mod manager if you have the dlcs.

e: I'm assuming you're using mod organizer.

Mr.Grit fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 16, 2016

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Prokhor posted:

The option should be called "Player Killmove Immunity"

:doh: I'm dumb as gently caress because it was indeed right there.

Also I'm assuming weird shadow lines on snow is just Z fighting or whatever and can't be helped? I don't have a picture of it because I'm not at my home pc, but it basically looks like a grid of shadows that alternates super fast when I move. It only seems to affect the areas outside of Windhelm and gently caress going farther north with Frostfall anyway so it's not a huge deal.

Makes me wish I had just sucked it up and went with SE even if it doesn't as expensive of mod support though.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

What's the go-to mod for making magic less underwhelming in SSE?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Devorum posted:

What's the go-to mod for making magic less underwhelming in SSE?

Apocalypse/Ordinator/EVERYTHING BY ENAI SIAION.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Agents are GO! posted:

Apocalypse/Ordinator/EVERYTHING BY ENAI SIAION.

Aha, I didn't know Apocalypse was converted already. Awesome!

Bedevere
Jun 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Well I got my mods working but I noticed an issue. My skyrim has that deal where when you move the camera slowly it's "jittery". ......In fact the only thing that seems to help is setting the Skyrim process to Realtime priority. I googled the hell out of it and nothing has fixed it, but it's still playable at least. My computer is a Lenovo, I think the stats are I5, 8 gigs ram, and a GeForce GT 730.

e: It's both in first person and third person mode. Third person mode it's less noticeable but only because you are zoomed out more I think.

I went from a 670ti (which was also doing the screaming fan/reboot thing) to a 1070 after getting SE and not only did the jitter go away but I am seeing crap I never noticed before (it's the same if I run oldrim too). SE using 64bit memory addressing does smooth the game out a lot but I can't go on enough about how much a decent GPU helps.

Deified Data posted:

Edit: Anyone know off the top of your head if the Outlaw origin from Live Another Life makes the Companions hostile? I keep stumbling on them fighting the giant and they're aggressive on sight.

IIRC that option gives you a bounty in at least two holds. They are hostile because they are in the whiterun crime group.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Oh god. I started my first character with only about 5 mods. Installed a few more (equipment, nothing dangerous) during the game. Abandoned that one, installed Skyrim unbound, started another one. Installed a few more, just innocent, tiny mods like a mod to hide the helmet. Just a couple more little mods here and there.

I'm now on a bus browsing through other mods. I can't stop, I'm browsing through extra content, for gods sake yesterday I remote desktopped myself from my phone to install mods while I was at work. I must have all the mods.

With gods help I will conquer this terrible affliction.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
I'm sure this has been asked 10,000 times but everyones a little different.

Looking for some input on favorite mods for guy who last played vanilla skyrim back in 2011.

What are like a few mods to start with that you like. I'm finding myself spending more time reading about mods than playing the drat game.

Basically: little harder combat, better quality of life nuances

Edit: Mod Organizer won't detect launcher for SSE, does NMM work?

Edit: start with visual mods and some quality of life. Any combat recommendations?
Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch
static mesh improvement
Total Character Makeovers
Wet and cold Probably not required.
Immersive sounds overhaul
Skyrim Flora overhaul
Vivid weather
Realistic Water Probably not required.
Ars Metallica-smith overhaul
Open Cities
True storms
Run for you lives/vampires attack
Reshade
Realistic lighting overhaul (sounds like it would be good?)

TipsyMcStagger fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Nov 17, 2016

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

el dingo posted:

Oh god. I started my first character with only about 5 mods. Installed a few more (equipment, nothing dangerous) during the game. Abandoned that one, installed Skyrim unbound, started another one. Installed a few more, just innocent, tiny mods like a mod to hide the helmet. Just a couple more little mods here and there.

I'm now on a bus browsing through other mods. I can't stop, I'm browsing through extra content, for gods sake yesterday I remote desktopped myself from my phone to install mods while I was at work. I must have all the mods.

With gods help I will conquer this terrible affliction.

Once you're in you can never leave :unsmigghh:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Looking for some input on favorite mods for guy who last played vanilla skyrim back in 2011.

What are like a few mods to start with that you like. I'm finding myself spending more time reading about mods than playing the drat game.

Basically: little harder combat, better quality of life nuances

Edit: Mod Organizer won't detect launcher for SSE, does NMM work?

Edit: start with visual mods and some quality of life. Any combat recommendations?
Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch
static mesh improvement
Total Character Makeovers
Wet and cold Probably not required.
Immersive sounds overhaul
Skyrim Flora overhaul
Vivid weather
Realistic Water Probably not required.
Ars Metallica-smith overhaul
Open Cities
True storms
Run for you lives/vampires attack
Reshade
Realistic lighting overhaul (sounds like it would be good?)

frostfall is amazing, and changes the entire game

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

TipsyMcStagger posted:

You know, GunnerJ and I spent a great deal of time on the OP, which answers a lot of your questions.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Agents are GO! posted:

You know, GunnerJ and I spent a great deal of time on the OP, which answers a lot of your questions.

It's a wonderful OP but I think the poster is talking about the SE. I cannot really tell what there is SE related and what isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I don't know how to gather info on this without manually searching for every mod on the SE Nexus, and I do not have time for that right now, but a long-term goal is to make some kind of indicator of SE-converted mods/links to them (probably in the 4th post). I'm also going to need to split up the first post at some point and the "Minor Overhauls" section seems like the logical place by divvying it up into more specific categories. These could be "Magic," "Combat," "Crafting," maybe some more.