Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

Powercrazy posted:

Maddox isn't an MRA guy nor is he racist or whatever otherizing term hills shills use for people they don't like.

This dude is correct, he is just a dude with really lovely opinions, who isn't funny (and hasn't been since Mr. T Ate My Balls, Acts of Gord, Emotion Eric, etc. were popular), who we shouldn't listen to.

Humans can do lovely things, say lovely things, and act irresponsible but they are still humans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

BexGu posted:

That I agree with, I guess I was more thinking of political career and less bank account. I don't see Jeb! and the rest running for president again and even a lower office after what happened this cycle.

I think they'd rather be rich than be in office, tbqh.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

mrmcd posted:

Why is Donna Brazile not fired yet?

By the time they put someone else into the position, it'd be time to replace her anyways.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Tatum Girlparts posted:

yes exactly, which is why people saying

as if the amnesty bit of that should be somehow downplayed and put on the backburner is a real bad lesson to take from this stuff.

Blanket amnesty is not the same thing as amnesty tho

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Schumer is in but apparently so is warren and sanders. :getin:

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

senate leadership d00ds

https://twitter.com/ToddRuger/status/798910581684269056

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Powercrazy posted:

Maddox isn't an MRA guy nor is he racist or whatever otherizing term hills shills use for people they don't like.

He's definitely not racist (in the equal-wages-for-illegal-immigrants article he actually went on at length about how the only argument against it relied heavily on racism), but he def said some pretty MRA-rear end poo poo

see though what I'm doing is acknowledging that a person can have some good opinions and some bad ones rather than using the existence of bad opinions to invalidate good ones

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

i'm the non-teenager that still reads maddox. that guy is me

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Ew, Feinstein heading Judiciary.

Is the leadership role for Bernie anything beyond being the ranking member on Budget?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Karl Barks posted:

i'm the non-teenager that still reads maddox. that guy is me

I can't think of any specific examples for my argument because there's no way I'm going to Maddox's website as an adult over the age of 17 so I'm working off decade-old memories

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

loquacius posted:

The idea that we should pay illegal immigrants the same as anyone else is such a basic one that I distinctly remember Maddox, the "Alphabet of Manliness" MRA guy, arguing for it like 15 years ago when I was enough of a dumb teen to read his website

There isn't an argument against it other than "I don't like the idea of immigrants being given money". It removes the incentive to hire them over citizens and it means that the ones who do get hired get a better standard of living. I absolutely agree we should crack down on businesses rather than immigrants, and be extra harsh on the ones paying less than minimum wage.

We could also make hiring illegals alot more costly for businesses.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Zoran posted:

Ew, Feinstein heading Judiciary.

I had basically the same response.

Does any of this actually mean anything, by the way, since Republicans have full control? Aren't the dems basically vestigial?

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

one falls before the awesome power of keith :getin:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/martin-omalley-no-dnc-chair-231475

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Crowsbeak posted:

We could also make hiring illegals alot more costly for businesses.

Republicans won't. It'll impact business too much and get their big money backers all riled up because they rely on illegals for cheap as gently caress labor.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Manchin at Vice Chair for Policy and Communications :lol:

Sanders gets Outreach Chair

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Where does the party go in a presidential election where their candidate is already coming out of this with a million more votes than her opponent in growing? Hopefully, not too far. And, anyone purposefully trying advocate for some huge shift is likely someone trying to re-fight a primary they couldn’t win because their guy could not attract the diverse coalition that is the Democratic Party. If they try this coup, it’ll be beaten back, again.

Trump was a unique candidate who managed to rearrange things just enough to win a unique election. The worst thing Dems could do is overreact to this. The GOP still needs to soul search and figure out why they allowed this. If we need to do anything it’s make sure we’re turning out our base better, which has ALWAYS been a problem with Democrats.

No, we are not going to hang ourselves for not doing enough to attract racist white people with illegitimate persecution complexes. The biggest lie anyone could tell is that this was about legitimate economic anxiety. And, for people who don’t live here this stereotyping of the “Rustbelt” as some economic hellscape is ridiculous when you look at the recovery since the recession. What these voters wanted to hear was a racist, xenophobic appeal, and that is not something we could offer or ever desire to offer them.

It’s not about the economy, stupid. It’s about a group of people who routinely prize their privilege above ALL else. Period. We don’t get those voters. We don’t want to get those voters. We turn out our base and we don’t even have to worry about this.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Can someone who remembers the right term to search for link me to zoux's ultimate meltdown in August? I did a search for all his posts in C-SPAM and he appears to have posted roughly 10,000,000 times on September 12 and 13 so it seemed kind of futile to just scroll through those until I find the meltdown ones

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Zoran posted:

Manchin at Vice Chair for Policy and Communications :lol:

Sanders gets Outreach Chair

Take my power Bernie.
I'll follow you to the ends of the earth.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

loquacius posted:

I can't think of any specific examples for my argument because there's no way I'm going to Maddox's website as an adult over the age of 17 so I'm working off decade-old memories

Same. He had a funny video like 12 years ago talking about how big his balls are, but I don't see how some childish jokes about genitalia make him an MRA. Anyway, maybe he is now, I don't know, but calling everyone you don't like an MRA is intellectually bankrupt.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Battle Royale Baby posted:

Where does the party go in a presidential election where their candidate is already coming out of this with a million more votes than her opponent in growing? Hopefully, not too far. And, anyone purposefully trying advocate for some huge shift is likely someone trying to re-fight a primary they couldn’t win because their guy could not attract the diverse coalition that is the Democratic Party. If they try this coup, it’ll be beaten back, again.

Trump was a unique candidate who managed to rearrange things just enough to win a unique election. The worst thing Dems could do is overreact to this. The GOP still needs to soul search and figure out why they allowed this. If we need to do anything it’s make sure we’re turning out our base better, which has ALWAYS been a problem with Democrats.

No, we are not going to hang ourselves for not doing enough to attract racist white people with illegitimate persecution complexes. The biggest lie anyone could tell is that this was about legitimate economic anxiety. And, for people who don’t live here this stereotyping of the “Rustbelt” as some economic hellscape is ridiculous when you look at the recovery since the recession. What these voters wanted to hear was a racist, xenophobic appeal, and that is not something we could offer or ever desire to offer them.

It’s not about the economy, stupid. It’s about a group of people who routinely prize their privilege above ALL else. Period. We don’t get those voters. We don’t want to get those voters. We turn out our base and we don’t even have to worry about this.

Is this from those jezebel comments? There was a fair amount of fighting in there.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Lawman 0 posted:

Take my power Bernie.
I'll follow you to the ends of the earth.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ BERNIE TAKE MY ENERGY ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Powercrazy posted:

Same. He had a funny video like 12 years ago talking about how big his balls are, but I don't see how some childish jokes about genitalia make him an MRA. Anyway, maybe he is now, I don't know, but calling everyone you don't like an MRA is intellectually bankrupt.

Agreed, but he definitely did a lot more than that on this particular topic

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Truly Hillary's vision was just too darn ambitious to win over all those unrepentant racists who voted twice for Barack Hussein Obama

BrownClown
Dec 7, 2007

Will rap for smash leaks

https://twitter.com/aseitzwald/status/798913924343234561

Still have to call the chairs of the DNC Committee.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

It’s about a group of people who routinely prize their privilege above ALL else. Period. We don’t get those voters. We don’t want to get those voters. We turn out our base and we don’t even have to worry about this.

Agreed, Fortunately that group of privileged third-way dems has been booted, no need to bring them back, nor anyone associated with them nor any of their ideals.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/798918544771706880

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

logikv9 posted:

you guys are really trying to look for a fight

keith is already endorsed by everybody except for the other people running. it's over

If this election has taught us anything it's to not count your chickens before the eggs hatch.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Whoever wrote this is yet again, a retard who thinks the popular vote indicates much of anything

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

ahh hell lets give him another chance, whadda you say? Hes been doing a pretty good job so far with the dems

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Fiction posted:

Is this from those jezebel comments? There was a fair amount of fighting in there.

I’m just mad as hell to see Bernie bros. cynically losing this lost to try to once again steer us to their hopeless utopia. I’m not about that life. No, we are not going to back of the bus because you desire most of what Trump does only you desire it from the left. Take that poo poo and walk. It ain’t right and it sure as hell ain’t progressive.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

BrownClown posted:

https://twitter.com/aseitzwald/status/798913924343234561

Still have to call the chairs of the DNC Committee.

I think it's going to come down to Ellison, Jaime Harrison or Dean. Harrison has an inspiring story and has made a lot of progress in SC but he's a corporate lobbyist working for the Podesta Group. I like Dean's 50 state strategy but, :doh:, shouldn't that always be the strategy?

Also, they won't vote until they need to or until all but 1 candidate has dropped out and that'll be after the new year.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

iospace posted:

Republicans won't. It'll impact business too much and get their big money backers all riled up because they rely on illegals for cheap as gently caress labor.

Than make it a wedge issue.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Schumer not being a colossal shithead is easily the surprise of the year for me

yes i'm including what happened last week in that

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Lots of good discussion here. But has anyone considered the meme gap? The right has the dankest of the dank memeology. The left had Hillary's embarrassing fellow kids forced memes. I think the comparative quality of memage helped Trump over the line. The left should be dominating social media considering the millennial vote but it's just not happening.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

you desire most of what Trump does only you desire it from the left.

Trying to unpack the layers upon layers of meaning from this apparently inexplicable phrase

like, it seems to be saying "you are populists but not racist about it" which is true, yeah, you got me, guilty as charged :confused:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Berious posted:

Lots of good discussion here. But has anyone considered the meme gap? The right has the dankest of the dank memeology. The left had Hillary's embarrassing fellow kids forced memes. I think the comparative quality of memage helped Trump over the line. The left should be dominating social media considering the millennial vote but it's just not happening.

The left has owned Twitter p consistently this whole time, we just lost /b/ which was fairly inevitable

Tumblr was never in contention, Reddit is a wash, Facebook can't really be "won"

BrownClown
Dec 7, 2007

Will rap for smash leaks

This is very true, and right now the Dem's are in such a lovely position that they can't afford infighting. Hence...

https://twitter.com/SenSanders/status/798915483735048197

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Pro tip: the only people who don't think elections are about the economy are those who are economically privileged. And that's usually people living on the coasts.

Just like those who think social issues are just a distraction are socially privileged.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Remember when Clinton tweeted "delete your account"

That was great

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

source your quotes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

loquacius posted:

The left has owned Twitter p consistently this whole time, we just lost /b/ which was fairly inevitable

Tumblr was never in contention, Reddit is a wash, Facebook can't really be "won"

A snarky comeback or link to a blog will never stick in people's heads like a funny picture of a smug looking frog. You have to close the meme gap.

• Locked thread