Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

all matches are underwater in splatoon 2 and you can traverse the three dimensions as a squid. need to be kid to shoot obvs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

The Zelda delay sucks, but that Mario 64 style game is exactly what I want so that's pretty cool. Updated Splatoon makes perfect sense as a pack-in for a variety of reasons. So many people missed out on it that didn't have Wii U and that kind of multiplayer game seems perfect for a device like the Switch.

Zelda being delayed to summer makes a lot of sense for Nintendo as well I guess. That allows for a big release after the initial fervor has died down and should tide people over until the holiday releases.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

SenseLess posted:

Edit: Maybe also worth mentioning:

Bolding mine - that doesn't sound too reassuring....
Titanfall 1 ported to Switch four months after launch, then EA officially drops support for the system because their best efforts just don't seem to sell on Nintendo systems.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I don't believe the EA rumor about them porting a big game, because a big game wouldn't physically fit inside of the cartridge slot. It's not possible.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Nuh uh, they did it with the Genesis, and all their carts were big.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm a loving weirdo who watches reaction videos on certain things when I'm bored enough. Saw a few Switch videos with people discussing it and almost all of them either straight up said "gently caress splatoon nobody gives a poo poo" or "I gave it a try and it's not a bad game, but I really don't think I care enough to touch it again."

Makes me wonder how big Splatoon actually is in the west and how much people would care if it was a pack-in. (I don't really buy that but eh)

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Isn't the obvious "big name" Madden? That would seem to make the most sense.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
So within the first year there should be Mario Kart, 3D Mario, Splatoon, Zelda, Pikmin 4(?), whatever the gently caress Retro Studios is doing, probably Smash Bros? Hell of a launch year. Oh and Pokemon is rumored?

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm a loving weirdo who watches reaction videos on certain things when I'm bored enough. Saw a few Switch videos with people discussing it and almost all of them either straight up said "gently caress splatoon nobody gives a poo poo" or "I gave it a try and it's not a bad game, but I really don't think I care enough to touch it again."

Makes me wonder how big Splatoon actually is in the west and how much people would care if it was a pack-in. (I don't really buy that but eh)

yeah there are a lot of morons who outright refused to use the gyro controls and got slaughtered online and lost interest in like a weekq

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Empress Brosephine posted:

Nostalgia aside Nintendo haven't made a good game since uh

Yoshi's Wooly World in 2015?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

zolthorg posted:

yeah there are a lot of morons who outright refused to use the gyro controls and got slaughtered online and lost interest in like a weekq

Gyro controls are the hottest of garbage and had there not been a way to turn them off I wouldn't have played a single round of online. The game also won't let you change them during the tutorial so I was like 99% ready to just give up immediately once I hit an options menu.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Paper Mario Color Splash, October 2016. 3D Picross Returns, October 2016. Pokemon Sun and Moon: Tomorrow.

I hope the new Mario game is called New Super Mario 64 Returns.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

zolthorg posted:

I was extremely interested in the game and love the gyro controls but I only ever got matched up with Japanese children when I played online and the delay was unbearable. Without regional matchmaking Spla2n is getting a pass from me.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I'm curious how the lack of Zelda during launch will affect first month sales, if at all. A new Mario at launch is nice but sorry NSMBU, while fun, wasn't revolutionary or unique enough to be worthwhile. I'll take Mario 64 clones all year long though.

I've never played Splatoon, how portable of a game would it be from a single player standpoint? If the switch can easily connect to wireless signals to get online then great, but it doesn't strike me as much of a friendly single player game.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Yea Splatoon is a really good game but it's also online dependent so it's not a great option to show off the Switch.

Is the new Mario gonna be multi-player a la 3d world? That's what I want.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
The real question on my mind is whether or not they'll have actual online multiplayer for "Mario's: Party Switch."

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Tender Bender posted:

Yea Splatoon is a really good game but it's also online dependent so it's not a great option to show off the Switch.

Is the new Mario gonna be multi-player a la 3d world? That's what I want.

According to the rumor, yes, Mario and Luigi.

Erata posted:

The real question on my mind is whether or not they'll have actual online multiplayer for "Mario's: Party Switch."
Not in a million years.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
The single-player campaign in Splatoon was short but also really fun. I think I remember reading that the entire single-player mode was developed a few months before release. If they've been working on a Splatoon sequel since 2015 and a big chunk of that time was spent on a more full-fledged single-player campaign, then I'll be the first to say it, folks: those bastards at Nintendo have done it again.

I wonder if the 1-v-1 mode mentioned in the article is intended for 1 screen or 2. It seems like 1 screen would be way too cluttered, but one of the big gimmicks of the Switch is that you can disassemble the thing and play single screen multiplayer with your friends at the basketball court or whatever, and it seems weird to have a pack-in game with a heavy emphasis on multiplayer that can't take advantage of that.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
"There hasn't been a good Nintendo game since that one game I liked when I was 12 years old." - some 30+ year old goon that thinks Fallout 4 is good probably

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Oh, today is Miyamoto-san's 64th birthday. (i swyped my keyboard for Miyamoto and it automatically Corvettes it to Miyamoto-san, which is fine by me)

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

greatn posted:

Oh, today is Miyamoto-san's 64th birthday. (i swyped my keyboard for Miyamoto and it automatically Corvettes it to Miyamoto-san, which is fine by me)

Automatic Corvettes for Miyamoto!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Isn't the obvious "big name" Madden? That would seem to make the most sense.

FIFA makes more money everywhere except the US.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Splatoon's gyro aiming is the closest any console shooter has come to the fidelity of PC Gaming, it's quite literally better than console Overwatch. Folks, we make a serious product here at Nintendo. Once you adjust its simply wonderful.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonas Albrecht posted:

The Breath of the Wild set, here.

Here, have a video of every Nintendo console announcement.

https://youtu.be/KZADU0M8O38

That N64 hype is real.

:lol: at the apparent G.I. Joe/ Hasbro IP at 3:22

Barudak posted:

Gyro controls are the hottest of garbage and had there not been a way to turn them off I wouldn't have played a single round of online. The game also won't let you change them during the tutorial so I was like 99% ready to just give up immediately once I hit an options menu.

Like, not :lol: if you are physically disabled in some way and cannot use the best control scheme for a console shooter ever, but otherwise :lol:

Brinty
Aug 4, 2012

Reiley posted:

Splatoon's gyro aiming is the closest any console shooter has come to the fidelity of PC Gaming, it's quite literally better than console Overwatch. Folks, we make a serious product here at Nintendo. Once you adjust its simply wonderful.

The steam/ps4 controller binding stuff on pc let's you use their gyros for aim adjust in any game and even do stuff like only having it active while holding left trigger. I can't go back to normal console shooting now, it just feels bad after I'm so used to better.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Nintendo is Amazing!

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

https://arcadegirl64.wordpress.com/2016/11/16/rumor-mario-kart-for-switch-brings-a-mix-of-old-and-new/

MK8 with a proper battle mode would be the best thing

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Cant wait to double dip the whole wii u catalogue

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Rather than adding Block Fort and Big Donut to battle mode, Nintendo opts to make them full fledged courses in the racing mode.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Bring back the feather.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kashuno posted:

Metroid Federation Force 2 just announced as Switch launch title

What happened with that game anyway? I forgot it even came out. Was the gameplay any good?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

MK8 with a proper battle mode would be the best thing
yes

YES

:yeah:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah it was pretty good, though to have the most out of the experience you would need 4 local players or for online people who have the game and frankly that's just not gonna happen.

VermiciousKnid84
May 28, 2004
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
Switch launch rumors lookin' good! An exploration-focused 3d Mario, Splatoon+, MK8+, Pokemon, and Zelda: BotW are enough vidya games to keep me satisfied for more than a year.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
It's been a while since I last preordered a console. If you're in the UK whereabouts is most reliable for it?

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

What happened with that game anyway? I forgot it even came out. Was the gameplay any good?

Uh, yeah, the game is out.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Yorkshire Tea posted:

It's been a while since I last preordered a console. If you're in the UK whereabouts is most reliable for it?

Amazon

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Does this hold true for USA? How do you trust a shipping company with a few hundred dollars of desired electronics?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Omnikin posted:

Does this hold true for USA? How do you trust a shipping company with a few hundred dollars of desired electronics?

Just fine? I ordered a 3ds from them a week ago and it shipped on time and arrived perfectly fine.

The only time I've ever had a problem with amazon was when I ordered a large hardcover book from them and it was packed with 3 deflated airbags but I've never received damaged electronics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I'm a filthy American so maybe it's different over there, but didn't Nintendo just release the NES Classic thing with no-preorders? Because of that I assumed this thing will not do pre-orders, which bums me out if it turns out to be true as then I'll basically have no shot at getting one at launch.

EDIT - it's funny watching the Switch scoopsters linking their competition's/colleague's articles on twitter and simultaneously praising them while also getting in passive-aggressive "I had this info first" digs. Love it.

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Nov 16, 2016

• Locked thread