Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I've been trying to avoid spoilers, but would Sun/Moon support a poison type playthrough or a bug type playthrough better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Lots of Pokémon are mediocre competitively because they don't have good stats in the right way but tear the ingame apart, like Darmanitan.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

thats a bad example because darmanitan is a good pokemon that's completely outclassed by charizard-x and victini to some extent

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

The Moon Monster posted:

I've been trying to avoid spoilers, but would Sun/Moon support a poison type playthrough or a bug type playthrough better?

Even without me having a ton of S/M knowledge yet (I've avoided most spoilers), Bug for sure. There's tons of new Bugs in Alola, and a lot of them are goddamn monsters (if all kind of slow). And you'd even get variety. Alola is very Bug-friendly.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

AlphaKretin posted:

Does anyone know where I can find the following?

• A table of new moves, like this, but with plain text for types and categories.
  • A similar table for new Pokemon, including UBs and Alolan Forms, with at least types and abilities.

I need this information for the project I'm working on, and having it in a table Google Sheets can parse makes things way, way easier than the Smogon pastebins linked in the Discord. Thanks in advance.

Quoting for the new page, more out of a desperate hope that such a thing exists than actual expectation. :v:

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

AlphaKretin posted:

Quoting for the new page, more out of a desperate hope that such a thing exists than actual expectation. :v:

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/look-here-first-pokemon-sun-and-moon-mine-resource-thread.3586425/

Here's a list of everything

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

E: There was a post here, but it's gone now after going over the same points on Discord.

To not make a waste of the post, the project is the bot I've mentioned planning to make for the Discord. It's just about done, I just need this data and a hosting solution.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Nov 16, 2016

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

AlphaKretin posted:

Doesn't UB-04 also have exclusivity? I want one of my Sun-owning friends' Kartanas. :(

As far as I know it does. I was wanting a good natured iron steampunk circus tent, whatever is name is.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
A few claims are around about pirate Pokemon Sun and Moon users being banned. Probably due to the fact there was a problem with the version number. Hopefully you guys have been playing on a spare unit.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
It only happened if you tried to use online features while playing. Which you'd have to be pretty dumb to do.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Dehry posted:

A few claims are around about pirate Pokemon Sun and Moon users being banned. Probably due to the fact there was a problem with the version number. Hopefully you guys have been playing on a spare unit.

I got banned, whoops! I found an article that says it's a 15 day ban if you haven't been banned in the past, which I haven't, so no biggie. I'm gonna go out and buy Sun on Friday and play it on my non-hacked 3DS and then transfer everything over once the ban lifts, but yeah this is definitely a thing that exists.

e: ^hey now

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
All jokes aside, I really like the Ultra Beast design.

It feels like Pokemon has finally embraced the idea of Eldritch Abomination pokemon. Not everything has to be an animal that also does X. And I absolutely love the concept and it's so great, I'm glad they took the plunge and tried it.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I like most UB designs but I think Consumption is really bloated and hideous. Like it looks really awkward in that clip of it and just ech.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

I know that it's not gonna be what I want, but

I'm really ready to know what happens if you try to shove a MissingNo in the Pokemon Bank from one of the Gen1 VC games.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

-Fish- posted:

I'm really ready to know what happens if you try to shove a MissingNo in the Pokemon Bank from one of the Gen1 VC games.
It would definitely get blocked by PokeBank.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Alternately, it'll think you're sending a Johto Pokemon.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
It's almost noon and my pre-ordered amazon copy still hasn't shipped. My rear end in a top hat's starting to pucker up.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

-Fish- posted:

Did they not remove Missingno from the VC versions? You'd think that'd be one of the first things to do.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Neo_Crimson posted:

Did they not remove Missingno from the VC versions? You'd think that'd be one of the first things to do.

They changed literally nothing beyond finagling the code a bit to let you do link trades wirelessly.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Neo_Crimson posted:

As far as I know, the VC versions are identical to the originals in every way except changing trading from using Link Cable to the 3DS' own wireless for obvious reasons. This means that MissingNo. is still in, although I seriously doubt Bank won't block all glitches.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Zore posted:

They changed literally nothing beyond finagling the code a bit to let you do link trades wirelessly.

they also changed Jynx's sprite

http://www.serebii.net/yellow/virtualconsole.shtml

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Dehry posted:

Hopefully they haven't done anything fancy to detect piracy with Pokemon Sun and Moon for sky3ds users. I doubt it though.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

The only thing I care about is whether or not it'll block my *cough* totally legit and not at all glitched Mew.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Blaziken386 posted:

The only thing I care about is whether or not it'll block my *cough* totally legit and not at all glitched Mew.

I would guess yes. But we'll have to wait and see in January.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Has there been any word on when PokeBank will be compatible with the new games?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Geostomp posted:

The January update. They haven't given us a specific date within the month, though.

Unrelated: I really do like a lot of the Pokemon this gen and am glad that if we're stuck with Alola-only at least there's a lot of cool stuff to put on your team and make friends with... but dear god everything is so slow why did they do this to us why can't we have good competifriends

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Geostomp posted:

January.
http://www.pokemon-sunmoon.com/en-us/pokemon-bank/

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Zore posted:

I would guess yes. But we'll have to wait and see in January.
It might not, though. Because apparently there was an event for a special level 5 mew for R/B/Y recently.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The January update. They haven't given us a specific date within the month, though.

Unrelated: I really do like a lot of the Pokemon this gen and am glad that if we're stuck with Alola-only at least there's a lot of cool stuff to put on your team and make friends with... but dear god everything is so slow why did they do this to us why can't we have good competifriends

We don't really know how the meta is going to shake out. Trick room might actually be a real, viable thing now with the held item extending it to 8 turns and most Alola pokemon are actually pretty bulky.

Realistically though, the only ones I really see panning out well are Tapus, Toxapex, Bewear (literally the bulkiest thing in the game with Fluffy), Salazzle, Lycanroc-day (fast rock type with rock priority is nuts), and some of the UBs.

Dark horse gimmicks would be Aquanoid (4.5x power for water moves in the rain :eyepop:), Mimikyu, Golispod, Minior, Oranguru.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

lezard_valeth posted:

WHYISTHEANCHORNOTGHOSTSTEELWEALREADYHAVEAGHOSTGRASSTHISGEN Dhelmise

See that green stuff (red when it's shiny)? According to its Pokédex entries, that is the Pokémon. Haunted seaweed, hence Ghost/Grass. The ship's wheel and anchor is just debris it picked up from the depths of the ocean.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Arcland posted:

Hopefully they haven't done anything fancy to detect piracy with Pokemon Sun and Moon for sky3ds users. I doubt it though.

Apparently they didn't do any fancy detection and it's just a blanket ban on anyone who has tried to use SuMo online services at all. I'm seeing stories of people who have legit game carts from retailers who broke street date and have been banned also, so it seems unlikely that this is anything sophisticated

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Zore posted:

We don't really know how the meta is going to shake out. Trick room might actually be a real, viable thing now with the held item extending it to 8 turns and most Alola pokemon are actually pretty bulky.
Right, I'm sure I'm underestimating Alola, but it just seems like an entire new generation shouldn't take a speed-inversion gimmick to be even remotely interesting. I wouldn't mind GF nerfing speed on previous generations if they just want to make speed less of a thing, but I do think it feels weird to have S&M so distinctly slower than every previous gen as a whole.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Apparently they didn't do any fancy detection and it's just a blanket ban on anyone who has tried to use SuMo online services at all. I'm seeing stories of people who have legit game carts from retailers who broke street date and have been banned also, so it seems unlikely that this is anything sophisticated

I'm surprised people had used the online services. Seems like a good time to make sure the 3ds can't even access online in case you mistakenly go online in Sumo.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Right, I'm sure I'm underestimating Alola, but it just seems like an entire new generation shouldn't take a speed-inversion gimmick to be even remotely interesting. I wouldn't mind GF nerfing speed on previous generations if they just want to make speed less of a thing, but I do think it feels weird to have S&M so distinctly slower than every previous gen as a whole.

Probably because they were designed for VGC. I can see some of those Pokemon being significantly more useful there than in singles.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Anyone know where the Skull Tank can be bought? I feel like I missed a boutique somewhere, but I'm not sure where.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
In some cases the slow speed makes sense, but like, why the gently caress is Vikabug's speed so low? Its official description is

quote:

Vikavolt is like a fortress that zooms through the forest, firing a beam of electricity from its mouth. Its huge jaws control the electricity it blasts out.

Vikavolt is adept at acrobatic flight maneuvers like tailspins and sharp turns. It can fly at high speeds even as it weaves its way through the complicated tangle of branches in the forest.
and yet its base speed is slower than a Caterpie.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I like most UB designs but I think Consumption is really bloated and hideous. Like it looks really awkward in that clip of it and just ech.

After seeing it being pet and fed I'm OK with it. It gets sad if you take the food away.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Yeah, but we got some loving tanky monsters out of it (Toxapex, Bewear) and there are quite a few fast dudes in there (Lycanroc-s, Cutiefly, Salazzle, the Tapus, Shields Down Minior, Ninetales-A, Lunala, Solgaleo) plus most of the UBs.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Is that the big mouth one? Because it's called Glutton in the american trailer and of course a monster based on consumption/gluttony is a big bloated nightmare beast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Also, there's been some more work done on the Call for Help mechanic.

Not every pokemon can call for help. Here's a list of the ones who can

http://pastebin.com/Uv3k3QYW

If a pokemon isn't on the list, it can't be easily chained for Shinies/High IVs and you can't currently get its hidden ability in Gen VII.

Additionally, pokemon can 'Call for Help' pokemon outside of their evolutionary line. Pichu can call Happiny, for instance. However, only pokemon of the original line can continue calling for help.

1) So If you had a Pichu and it calls another Pichu or Pikachu, the Pichu or Pikachu can continue the chain if you knock the original out.

2)If you have a Pichu and it calls Happiny, and you knock the Pichu out, the Happiny breaks the chain and will not continue calling for help.