Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

cravius posted:

Watching the left panic as their monopoly on information weakens due to the prevalence of social media is interesting. I can't count the amount of anti-facebook articles I've seen passed around this week. People I respect unironically advocating a private company to be the arbiter of people's access to the exchange of information and ideas. Scary stuff.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
at last, the cruel and wicked leftist monopoly on truth is destroyed. we happily await a future where every man determines his own truth *gets banned from conservapedia*

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The only way the Democrats could have done worse than Chuck Schumer is if they had selected Ted Cruz to be the Democratic Minority Leader.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy
Hyperbole obviously but lol if you don't think traditional news sources of the past (newspapers and television) have a definite left bend

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Pollyanna posted:

I posted this in C-SPAM, but: can someone explain to me why free trade is a good thing? I keep hearing politicians harp on and on about it but it seems like something that's too abstract and disconnected to actually have much of an effect on people's lives. Why does everyone have such a boner for free trade?

There are a whole bunch of reasons but one of the fundamental reasons is that trade lets things be done where people are the "best" and most efficient at doing them so people get the best quality for the lowest prices. Growing vegetables in upstate NY during December is possible but growing asparagus in Peru and shipping it is cheaper and results in better tasting product. The best mines for an ore are most likely nowhere near where the best foundries are located or where the most skilled machinists live so instead of trying to run a foundry where electricity is expensive and then have a lovely product made by someone who doesn't entirely know what they are doing (and is slowed down by having to wait for other materials), it is much better to have the mine ship the ore to the foundry located next to cheap hydro power, which then ships the metal to the machinists who make the highest quality thing in the shortest time.

And on average that is pretty much how it works out. The major problem is that the returns are not spread evenly. The saved money goes into price decreases for the end users and returns on capital investment for investors, and not to those people who now find themselves jobless because the local mineral deposit was of lower purity than one in Argentina. Even if you did attempt to help (we effectively don't), money gets reallocated must easier and faster than you could ever hope to retrain or move the people who it leaves behind.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I'm too pure and good to vote for a filthy compromise lesser-of-two-evils candidate, I'll never sacrifice my noble principles.

Oh God the bad man won, won't someone out there in the EC please sacrifice their principles and vote for the lesser of two evils?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

cravius posted:

Hyperbole obviously but lol if you don't think traditional news sources of the past (newspapers and television) have a definite left bend

They have a leftist bent with regards to social issues. That's as far as it goes.

Even then they frequently treat fringe loonies with kids gloves because they are beholden to take anyone with a D or an R next to their name seriously no matter how retarded the views expressed are. The media is not, and never has been, some kind of unshakeably loyal partner to the left. If you didn't figure that out after this election...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Reality has a well-known liberal bias.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

cravius posted:

How many people read Newspapers vs watch Fox News?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Condiv posted:

i'm surprised it took one of you this long to try that :lol:

why do you think me voting for hillary in oklahoma would've shifted the election for her? oh, it couldn't have. so why should i vote for a candidate who doesn't align with me if my vote has 0% chance of helping her?

For me, and this is strictly for me, it was worth driving people to polls and phonebanking despite living in Georgia because it felt good for my soul. Like, I'm doing everything I possibly can on the issues I care most about, those being threatened routinely and explicily by a RNC justice pick.

It's a "If I don't fight now, and for this, then when? And for what?" I dont want to fall into a trap of inaction and miss chances to fight for visible and invisible minorities as represented in my own (justifiably terrified) circle of friends.

Btw, cobb county GA flipped blue by 7,000 votes. Small, personal victory there.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Mozi posted:

Reality has a well-known liberal bias.

This but ironically

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
anyone who says newspapers tend left is myopically restricting themselves to the last 30 years of newspapers, when the industry started declining outside of major urban markets, because whoo boy there were some small town newspapers back in the day that would make free republic blush. and if you look at most medium metro survivors they're taking the same blood and guts approach that local tv news does

basically claiming there's an inherent leftist bias in all media is baby whiner talk for people who dont really understand how for profit media works in the united states. media caters to an audience to compete, and if you're saying there's a leftist bias in media then you're implying there's a leftist bias in the population who consumes that media

of course, if we're talking about how all the media other people consume is biased but the media i personally consume is a bastion of impartial honesty...

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Nov 16, 2016

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Condiv posted:

i've already contacted my state dem party chairman advocating for keith ellison and I'm going to try and meet with someone in december with the okdems to see if i can contribute even though I live in france

i know you're trying to be helpful, but it's a little condescending that you think i haven't bothered to try to find out how i can stop this from happening again just cause i'm making GBS threads on hillary. i'll bitch and help out at the same time :)

That's awesome and I'm glad you're doing it. I don't mean to be condescending about it so if it comes off that way I apologize. If you're helping then you're doing the right thing. It's as much for you as it is people reading.

For people who are getting involved, why not talk about what you're doing? What kind of projects are you working on right now and what are other local parties doing to ready themselves for the next election cycle? I'll go first.

Right now the locals here need help revamping their website/twitter/facebook accounts. I hate to say it but all of what they have now kind of sucks. I'm not saying it looks like some geocities website from 1999, but it's close. While I don't have a background in web design specifically I have been running a marketing company for 5 years so they've asked me for my input. I'm hoping to build up a library of photos and assets that can be used not just for the party at the local level, but across the state. If there is a graphic/web designer in VA beach that wants to put together a flier for an event they're basically on their own and I want to help change that. We need a branding guide so that there's consistency across all the county party sites. I'm hoping to get photos of party leadership that don't look like real estate agent portraits because it's too stuffy. I'm also trying to figure out what kind of cost effective local events we can hold to increase exposure and bring on new volunteers. So basically I'm working on a shitload of volunteer outreach to get more people involved.

I am swearing at them a whole lot less than I am on here though.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

cravius posted:

This but ironically

Tell me more about bogus news sites informing our public being healthy.

Actually, tell me: was Scalia assassinated through his pillow?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Good to know that when the Republican's move to cut corporate tax rates they'll have Chuck Schumer's support.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Hollismason posted:

Good to know that when the Republican's move to cut corporate tax rates they'll have Chuck Schumer's support.

I'm sure he'll play ball on tax repatriation too.

Harsh But True
Oct 13, 2016

cravius posted:

They've definitely got some sort of bias. I think fox is a little right, but cnn is just as bad in the other direction.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Potato Salad posted:

I too think that Facebook should choose which news is fit for public consumption.

Harsh But True
Oct 13, 2016

Potato Salad posted:

Lol did he/she/it say it was healthy?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

PURELY negative campaigns don't work, negativity (done right) mostly just depresses the opposition's turnout it doesn't motivate people to vote for you - and both candidates did indeed get a low turnout, just in Trump's case not as low as more left-leaning coastal folks who didn't think economics was a big deal assumed. Have you already forgotten all of his insane grandiose promises? The wall, renegotiating with China, forcing Courier to bring all the jobs back?

Of course not, but I guess the flaw in my logic is that those seem incredibly negative to me--but racists and unemployed middle-americans probably see it differently.

Mea culpa.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/pollreport/status/798918303095947264

America is dumb and confused.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

Obama will be at 75% approval after 6 months of trump in office

efb :argh:

May 11, 2007

Contains Carbon Monoxide

On Terra Firma posted:

Meet up with your local party members and help figure out what you're going to do in the next 2-3 years to fix what you're identifying to be the problem.

http://asdc.democrats.org/state-parties/

I don't know how it is elsewhere but I'm finding that pretty much everyone in my local and state party is extremely open to new ideas and fresh blood. This is in Virginia and while we aren't a contested swing state in the presidential elections, we certainly are in state wide elections. They need help. They need to do some rebranding. I imagine other states are the same way right now.

Stop bitching. Go help.

Signed up to get info in VA and all I got was an email saying "let's send Tim Kane a virtual thank you card w/ your name on it!" and "please donate money". Great.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

mcmagic posted:

I'm sure he'll play ball on tax repatriation too.

He's the worst. THE WORST.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Winkie01 posted:

Obama will be at 75% approval after 6 months of trump in office

efb :argh:
The "Miss me yet?" billboards were one transition too early.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

703 posted:

Signed up to get info in VA and all I got was an email saying "let's send Tim Kane a virtual thank you card w/ your name on it!" and "please donate money". Great.

Where are you in VA? Contact them at the county level. You'll get a response.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

cravius posted:

I too think that Facebook should choose which news is fit for public consumption.

Why shouldn't they? The NY Times and Fox News get to decide what is fit for public consumption.....why shouldn't a for-profit do whatever the gently caress they want with regards to information on THEIR website?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

It shows that Americans vote entirely on personal appeal rather than policy or facts. Like, 99.9999%.

Polls got a lot of egg on their face it his election, and rightly so (especially swing state polls), but if you applied the same method to measure Hillary's favorability during the campaign it would have been poo poo compared to Obama every time. Americans generally not LIKING her that much is 100% real.

Literally the only person who was worse by that kind of measure was Trump, but he at least mobilized most of the GOP base because they WANTED an rear end in a top hat to tell everyone to get hosed, while Hillary drove away 4.5m Democrats who voted Obama in 2012, give or take.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

cravius posted:

If they're going to have a "news feed" feature, which I honestly don't think they should, but the majority of people seem to like it so they clearly ought to, they should be certain that everything on it is truthful.

I don't know how you reconcile that with not pushing a political slant, because even if you just prune lies by hand and automate everything else you have to have the algorithms decide what to serve up and that'll end up slanted some way, but that's how I feel.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Lord Hydronium posted:

The "Miss me yet?" billboards were one transition too early.

I saw one in South Carolina last weekend.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Potato Salad posted:

And on a larger scale, this is about identity and rights. Race is a slice of the continuing struggle.

Said the rich white man

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

VitalSigns posted:

I'm too pure and good to vote for a filthy compromise lesser-of-two-evils candidate, I'll never sacrifice my noble principles.

Oh God the bad man won, won't someone out there in the EC please sacrifice their principles and vote for the lesser of two evils?

Well that is what quite a few of the people who stayed out thought. HRC was not the less evil enough for them. ]

Also you bet there are going to be miss me yet billboards all over.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Said the rich white man

You sure?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

sean10mm posted:

It shows that Americans vote entirely on personal appeal rather than policy or facts. Like, 99.9999%.

Polls got a lot of egg on their face it his election, and rightly so (especially swing state polls), but if you applied the same method to measure Hillary's favorability during the campaign it would have been poo poo compared to Obama every time. Americans generally not LIKING her that much is 100% real.

Literally the only person who was worse by that kind of measure was Trump, but he at least mobilized most of the GOP base because they WANTED an rear end in a top hat to tell everyone to get hosed, while Hillary drove away 4.5m Democrats who voted Obama in 2012, give or take.

Pretty much. It's all a cult of personality and facts/policy mean nothing.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Said the rich white man

Okay, gently caress women. You happy?

My wife is going to still have access to abortion via her canadian citizenship. I'll still fight for human rights here in the states regardless, thanks and god bless

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

iospace posted:

US POL December: International House of Hot Takes

May 11, 2007

Contains Carbon Monoxide

On Terra Firma posted:

Where are you in VA? Contact them at the county level. You'll get a response.

I'll try that

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Said the rich white man

Actually I was too quick to judge.

Was it women or homosexuals you want me to throw under the bus first?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

VitalSigns posted:

this would be really cutting if there was any utility in voting clinton in Oklahoma, or if I had actually advocated for a faithless EC. good job on KO'ing that straw man though

Potato Salad posted:

For me, and this is strictly for me, it was worth driving people to polls and phonebanking despite living in Georgia because it felt good for my soul. Like, I'm doing everything I possibly can on the issues I care most about, those being threatened routinely and explicily by a RNC justice pick.

It's a "If I don't fight now, and for this, then when? And for what?" I dont want to fall into a trap of inaction and miss chances to fight for visible and invisible minorities as represented in my own (justifiably terrified) circle of friends.

Btw, cobb county GA flipped blue by 7,000 votes. Small, personal victory there.

I'm glad you flipped that county in georgia blue. hopefully we can get some blue counties in Oklahoma next election. my family is fighting for this as we speak and I'll hopefully be able to join the fight in December (albeit from France)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
How can it only be a week from the election and the administration is already wracked with in-fighting and Trump is being forced to move across the aisle and beg Democrats for recommendations of which Republicans to hire?

• Locked thread