Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

LawfulWaffle posted:

I'm gonna make a deeply engaging RPG with an innovative combat and leveling system, and everything will be represented by geometric shapes.

They already made final fantasy vii

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

nice.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Snak posted:

Those sprites look awesome.

Please make a running animation where he gallops.

Thanks! He already kinda does gallop:

but that's mostly because his body doesn't turn when he walks. Maybe he knows he's 2-dimensional.

edit: looking at it, it's actually a bit goofy looking when he's not moving left/right lol

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Nov 16, 2016

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

Thanks! He already kinda does gallop:

but that's mostly because his body doesn't turn when he walks. Maybe he knows he's 2-dimensional.

edit: looking at it, it's actually a bit goofy looking when he's not moving left/right lol

That looks pretty good.

This is what I was thinking of, though:

It's so funny!

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
I finished Virginia. I liked it. The story is interesting once you piece it together but they don't make it easy and the last chapter throws a lot at you at once.

Great mood, good original soundtrack. Recommended once its on sale for <$5.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Snak posted:

That looks pretty good.

This is what I was thinking of, though:

It's so funny!

Oh that's good. That's real good.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It has no real place in the game, but maybe you could put it on your title screen, have him gallop in off the side.

I was thinking this was a side scroller, is it 4-way or 8-way movement?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It is a side scroller, yes. I will find some way to fit the galloping in, somehow.

edit: vv Right.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Nov 16, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh, I misunderstood your comment about it looking funny when he's not moving left or right to mean that he moves other directions. You just meant when he's standing still.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

LawfulWaffle posted:

Making sprites is my least favorite part of farting around with game design. I'm gonna make a deeply engaging RPG with an innovative combat and leveling system, and everything will be represented by geometric shapes.

And yet there will still be bikini armour.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Bikinis are mostly triangles.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Ghost Trick rules so much.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

FirstAidKite posted:

It's gonna be sorta kinda funny when skylanders dies off and his kids grows out of it. The guy who runs that channel has 833 vids alone of just him doing skylanders stuff (idk how many vids his other non-skylanders accounts have) and idk how I'd feel if a good portion of my childhood was filmed and put online by my dad attempting to be really funny but just coming off as cringeworthy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EniJHgfHdQc

His kids are already growing out of it.

That's why they've been making new kids.

Can you imagine the therapy someone is going to go through when they talk to their therapist about how the only reason their parents had them was to get more money and views on the family YouTube channel? That you only came into existence for that primary reason.

On a similar tangent does anyone else remember how there was a kid like twelve years ago that all the gaming publications did stories about because he was super good at Halo 2? And the dad was always a part of those interviews going on about they've got a documentary in the works and all sorts of sponsorship deals lined up. But things didn't progress fast enough and when you're trying to make content based on the marketability of your child I guess there's an expiration date on when you can cash in it because nothing ever came of it as soon as the "Wow this baby is really good at video games." factor was no longer there.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Skeezy posted:

Ghost Trick rules so much.

I love the detective's weird-rear end dance-walk that looks like it has way too many frames per second and was maybe rotoscoped. That poo poo is hypnotic.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lotta Bloodborne chat I missed and now I feel like I need to re-up my PS+ and play some Bloodborne again. I miss you, Threaded Cane.

I guess I don't have to re-up PS+ but I'm not about to play a Soulsborne game without messages all over the place.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Skeezy posted:

Christopher Christopher Christopher CHRISTOPHER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix7sLTudg5s

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, and even if I never really touch bloodstains, the levels seem barren without bloodstains everywhere.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

That's a handsome boy right there.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I'm watching Boss Key's by Mark Brown currently and it's real, real good.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLc38fcMFcV_ul4D6OChdWhsNsYY3NA5B2

It's an overview of dungeon design across all Zelda games.

E: Sorry, the autocatch on YT links breaks if you try to give it just a playlist.

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Nov 16, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

I'm watching Boss Key's by Mark Brown currently and it's real, real good.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLc38fcMFcV_ul4D6OChdWhsNsYY3NA5B2

It's an overview of dungeon design across all Zelda games.

I love that dude's videos and Boss Keys are my favorites so far. My girlfriend doesn't play too many video games but even she sometimes asks if there's a new Boss Keys to watch because that poo poo's fascinating. I like seeing his research process as it evolves, and his dungeon diagrams are really cool.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Nov 16, 2016

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I feel like there's been an 800% increase in the internet using the word boy in 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Boi maybe

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Harrow posted:

I love that dude's videos and Boss Keys are my favorites so far. My girlfriend doesn't play too many video games but even she sometimes asks if there's a new Boss Keys to watch because that poo poo's fascinating. I like seeing his research process as it evolves, and his dungeon diagrams are really cool.

I was just listening to it at work and once he started getting to the dungeon graphs it was really interesting how he laid everything out.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Battlefield 1 had a problem where after a round finished you only had a few seconds to quit after which the quit button disappeared and you had to wait for the new map to load and then you could only quit when the new match started.

So a big new patch just came out where :dice: "fixed" this and now the quit button doesn't disappear but when you press it...you still have to wait for the new match to start anyway. They basically added one of those elevator door buttons that do nothing but make you feel like you're doing something. So now BF1 has a new thread title :allears:.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

what's the thread title

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

oddium posted:

what's the thread title

BATTLEFIELD 1 - only DICE could gently caress up a quit button

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

How is the thread title not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwlYo8EYTWI

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

I feel like there's been an 800% increase in the internet using the word boy in 2016

Griffin McElroy is a powerful influence

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

CJacobs posted:

Thanks. Cute-ish is what I'm going for with the general aesthetic. The player can't actually be unarmed at the moment but I might make an "unequip all my stuff" wardrobe in the home that leaves you unarmed until you re-equip something. A headbutt would work, maybe I'll make him do a little kick or something (since he has no arms).

It kind of looks like your dude has his arms crossed, which is pretty badass. Just galloping through a dungeons whacking skeletons with a psychically controlled sword.

Help Im Alive posted:

I blame the growing popularity of Griffin McElroy for the spread of "x Boy". There's fruit to be borne from a supercut of him saying it over the podcasts and videos he does. Just 40 minutes of "Good Boy. Clean Boy. Nasty Boys. Danger Boys. Good, sweet boys. Cat boys."

e: ^^ this goon gets it

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Palpek posted:

Battlefield 1 had a problem where after a round finished you only had a few seconds to quit after which the quit button disappeared and you had to wait for the new map to load and then you could only quit when the new match started.

So a big new patch just came out where :dice: "fixed" this and now the quit button doesn't disappear but when you press it...you still have to wait for the new match to start anyway. They basically added one of those elevator door buttons that do nothing but make you feel like you're doing something. So now BF1 has a new thread title :allears:.

And also, quitting doesn't seem to disconnect you from the server, because after I quit, if I leave the room while at the main menu, I come back to a popup that says I've been kicked from the server for being idle.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

LawfulWaffle posted:

I blame the growing popularity of Griffin McElroy for the spread of "x Boy". There's fruit to be borne from a supercut of him saying it over the podcasts and videos he does. Just 40 minutes of "Good Boy. Clean Boy. Nasty Boys. Danger Boys. Good, sweet boys. Cat boys."

e: ^^ this goon gets it

Regy Rusty posted:

I don't know who this is but hopefully I can stop him before it's too late

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

You should watch monster factory

And everything else he does

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

You will never stop these rowdy boys

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Help Im Alive posted:

Yeah, it's kind of obnoxious.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

Polygon writer/video maker who is also one of the hosts of a couple of non-video game podcasts with his brothers (one of whom also writes for Polygon, Justin McElroy). The podcasts in question are My Brother, My Brother, and Me and Adventure Zone (D&D podcast).

Griffin's like the one good thing about Polygon imo but he does love to call things "boys" like his Pokemon in his ongoing Nuzlocke LP of Pokemon Y.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Harrow posted:

Griffin's like the one good thing about Polygon imo but he does love to call things "boys" like his Pokemon in his ongoing Nuzlocke LP of Pokemon Y.
Honestly if you just stick to Polygon's videos they're real good.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Mordja posted:

Yeah, it's kind of obnoxious.

Salty boys.

I'm on board with the Griffin McElroy school of describing things, but also I really enjoy Austin Walker, who has also adopted that way of speaking, so

Sorry, Mordja and others, it's kind of a thing now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

Nick Robinson is also to blame.

Put the blame on those two nasty boys.

• Locked thread