Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

Here's a little from the twitter that came before the actual update.

https://www.twitch.tv/kazeugma/v/99478426

Also, who actually read the text in the book? There's a little Allison glosses over.

Cio isn't her real name--her real name is a curse, and speaking that curse might cause it to come true.

Also something about "terrible lust," but sadly nothing juicy.

Given the phrasing, I'm prepared to bet that she just means she'll be forced to remember that she was named after a soft drink if she speaks it out loud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

A shame we didn't get to see Princess's face in the background, but what a great page. :allears:

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

UGH! WEEABOO! WEEABOO WEEABOO WEEABOO, WEEABOO!

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Darth Walrus posted:

Given the phrasing, I'm prepared to bet that she just means she'll be forced to remember that she was named after a soft drink if she speaks it out loud.

On the other hand Cio might just be embellishing her own part in this tale.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Aside from the parts that are wonderful (all of it); Cio seems know, and is outright stating, that Alison is the one tapped to be the King Ultra-Queen of the Universe.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

a kitten posted:

Aside from the parts that are wonderful (all of it); Cio seems know, and is outright stating, that Alison is the one tapped to be the King Ultra-Queen of the Universe.

I think that's just what she would prefer to see be true, like Allison being a farm girl on a quest to rescue her girlfriend.
Although given her history she might be better at identifying the kind of person that would become the Rising King, rather than letting prophesy tell her who it will be.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Benson Cunningham posted:

This is the most delightful web comic.

:perfect:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

a kitten posted:

Don't forget, it's very heavily implied that Cio is the one who stole the Key in the first place.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Cio stole a key not The Key

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Probably stole Mammon's key because he's a big chump.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Yeah but where does the magic scissors for in?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Cio melted the key she stole and forged it into the scissors, obviously.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

the best part of that is the shadow of the cameraman on the razer scooter, furiously pedaling to keep up with the car

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

These last few pages have been such a delightful tone shift from battling a demigod after destroying their blood guzzling testicle fruit tree.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

These last few pages have been such a delightful tone shift from battling a demigod after destroying their blood guzzling testicle fruit tree.

It's a butt tree, not a nutt tree.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I do enjoy that Cio's fanfic isn't just a cover for some deeper agenda - it's something she's genuinely invested in. That she also happens to have another agenda is beside the point.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
I don't know why, after the last marriage we'd seen, that I didn't expect every other marriage in this hosed up god corpse pile to also be a bit suspect.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
Make one more joke about Coca-Cola. I dare you.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Every once and a while you look at a completed page and go "yeah he had fun drawing that"

I am so hype for this

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Spiderdrake posted:

Every once and a while you look at a completed page and go "yeah he had fun drawing that"

I am so hype for this

I had fun looking at it!

e. oh look piles of gold in the background! I wonder where we are... :getin:

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Nov 16, 2016

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
She's starting using 'you' instead of 'tha'.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Oh this looks fun.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I am all about that chiton.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Schwarzwald posted:

I am all about that chiton.

So...

All about that 'pace?

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

Pureauthor posted:

She's starting using 'you' instead of 'tha'.

Abaddon/Operant is probably trying to develop her to be more "proper" to contrast with Princess, who's pretty obviously anything but proper. I would guess that, in-story, it's part of Cio trying to be appealing to Allison.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Poltergrift posted:

So...

All about that 'pace?

Previous page: what did giant hellbeast Preman Nand ever see in little Cio?

Current page: ah, I have gained some understanding.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Hiveminded posted:

Abaddon/Operant is probably trying to develop her to be more "proper" to contrast with Princess, who's pretty obviously anything but proper. I would guess that, in-story, it's part of Cio trying to be appealing to Allison.
I read it as less being "proper" and more that she isn't being dismissive anymore.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That arse is flashing me back to the MSPA forums version of this thing.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Well she used to be loving terrifying :stare:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Bet you she still wrote fanfic, though.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I wonder if the counters those dudes are wearing are their bank totals with Mammon.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Interesting to see that while Vladok was very male, Yabalchoath is quite female. I guess ebon devils aren't gender-locked.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Someone wanna explain the Devils and names thing? I thought they shed names to go up in power, more names made them less powerful. Or did I get this in reverse?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Malpais Legate posted:

Someone wanna explain the Devils and names thing? I thought they shed names to go up in power, more names made them less powerful. Or did I get this in reverse?

No, you're correct. A devil increases in power by having their names shortened and refined, with the end goal being their True Name and Ebon status

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Malpais Legate posted:

That's the idea, but it's probably not as simple. The name must correspond to the devil to give it a real identity; if you make a new devil and just call it Bob I doubt you'll get an ebon devil this way. You'd probably just get a half-formed mass of flame that needs more names to acquire a solid identity. And I'd tend to suppose that while they shed names, they also acquire new ones, such as perhaps replacing two human-given names by one names they give themselves.

Cio's former name was very long and Yabalchoath is just what she remembers of it. Allison managing to somehow rechristen Cio Yabalchoath wouldn't restore her to ebon devil status.

Come to think of it, Vladok was probably not the full name either.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

So sassy. So tall. So stabby.
:swoon:

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
"you've got something on your face james"

"i'm not falling for this poo poo again"

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i wonder if Yabalchoath having four arms is related to Cio needing her Coat of Arms to do Red Art chicanery

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Cat Mattress posted:

Cio's former name was very long and Yabalchoath is just what she remembers of it. Allison managing to somehow rechristen Cio Yabalchoath wouldn't restore her to ebon devil status.

I might just be wrong, but I feel like the "long, twisty" bit isn't so much any literal verbal component to the name (like "Yabalchoathhypotheticalstringofmeaninglessletters," but longer, presumably) as a nonverbal, mythic component, sort of like "repute" or "being my own name." Like, Yabalchoath carries the symbolic impact of being an enormous ebon murder queen plus the experience of being unbound by any name but your own, which constitutes the forgotten part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

If Ciocie Cioelle is Coca Cola, what is Yabalchoath?