Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

It's also a great way to stealth tank.

Here's my favorite stealth tanking strategies in order.

1. Leave a big hole in the depth chart - claim there's no value in the market or that you want to try JJ Hickson as a small ball 5
2. Try a SG or a SF at PG - if it works then you have the next Giannis, if it doesn't you still lost a lot of games (Olapido)
3. Rookie head coach - preferably a player that just retired so he will be extra bad
4. Make a 3rd option guy your 1st option - like Winslow or Nick Young

#1 is give a huge contract to a washed up star and fan favorite, then there is no money to bring in FA vets. Lakers dominated the stealth tanking thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

So how long does Phil keep his job for? His bad moves far outweigh his good moves at this point.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Libertine posted:

Are HS Grads eligible for the D-League? I thought it was under the same restrictions as the NBA in terms of draft/playing eligibility.

HS'ers can go straight to the D-League. They then become draftable after the first year IIRC.

Fake edit: Yep

quote:

There are eight different paths a player can take to the NBA D-League:

NBA teams can assign players to their NBA D-League affiliate and recall them at any time.
NBA teams can draft players and sign them to NBA D-League contracts, thus retaining their rights through the “Draft Rights Player” rule.
NBA teams can designate up to four players that they cut during training camp as “affiliate players,” meaning those players will join that team’s NBA D-League affiliate (should the players choose to sign into the NBA D-League). These players are signed under contract with the league rather than the team, however, meaning they are technically free agents who can be called up to any of the 30 NBA teams.
NBA D-League teams hold local tryouts each offseason and can invite up to five players from these tryouts to their training camps.
The NBA D-League holds a draft every year consisting of nearly 200 players who have signed contracts with the league. In 2016, the draft consisted of six rounds.
Players who return to the NBA D-League are, by rule, re-acquired by the teams that they played for within the last two seasons (Returning Players).
Once the NBA D-League season begins, players who sign NBA D-League contracts are placed into a rotating waiver pool so that teams can claim them.
If a player from high school, college or overseas enters the NBA D-League without ever having declared for the NBA Draft, he will also join the waiver pool. That player remains NBA Draft-eligible but is not eligible to be called up to the NBA.

Niwrad posted:

So how long does Phil keep his job for? His bad moves far outweigh his good moves at this point.

How long does Dolan usually take before fixing and removing his failed and bad decisions?

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

The Suns might be...good at player relations now?

https://twitter.com/azcsports/status/798692155464224768

I'm not totally sold on coach Earl Watson but stuff like this really helps.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Niwrad posted:

His contract ends soon anyways, and outside of drafting Porzingis his moves have been terrible across the board.

So at least 15 more years.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Niwrad posted:

I mean, it honestly depends what the expectations were when he signed on. If the expectation was to put butts into seats and ride out Melo's contract, then start actually possibly competing, then he is right on track.

If the expectation was to build a winning team now, then he has done terribly, but I'm not sure it was ever possible to do well so RIP.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

His other good move was the Robin Lopez contract but then he traded it for Derrick Rose.

And Jerian Grant actually looked really good last night. He was bad in preseason and Summer League but he does have some NBA skills.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Dexo posted:

How long does Dolan usually take before fixing and removing his failed and bad decisions?

Didn't he only fire Isaiah because of a sexual harassment lawsuit?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Phil Jackson gave a 30 year old center that had major injury history and literally coming off a season ending injury 4 years/72 million dollars

FULLY GUARANTEED. You can't even cut him early to save money.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I'm still kinda torn.

Signing Noah makes sense on multiple levels.

Noah is quite literally the perfect Center for the Triangle. It's a pity he has no legs left. Noah his work ethic and how he has improved his vision and passing over the years would be pretty useful for someone like KP to be around.

Probably shouldn't have paid him so much goddamn money or so many years tho. Especially since now it seems like there won't be an amnesty clause in the new CBA.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I'm not sure if you could fire Jackson on the basis of his moves, because literally every person on the planet who watches basketball knew what the Knicks were doing was insanely stupid, and the Knicks did it anyways. The whole management chain green lit that poo poo.

So really if anyone should be fired it should be their entire decision-making structure up to and including ownership.

The guy who scouted Zingis can stay, that's about it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Zingis was also pretty widely considered a top-5 picks and the Knicks got him at 4, so it wasn't a Kawahii-level move or anything. I do give Knicks credit getting him early burn and letting a raw guy like that to prove himself.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Lockback posted:

Zingis was also pretty widely considered a top-5 picks and the Knicks got him at 4, so it wasn't a Kawahii-level move or anything. I do give Knicks credit getting him early burn and letting a raw guy like that to prove himself.

It could have been worse

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

I'm still kinda torn.

Signing Noah makes sense on multiple levels.

Noah is quite literally the perfect Center for the Triangle. It's a pity he has no legs left. Noah his work ethic and how he has improved his vision and passing over the years would be pretty useful for someone like KP to be around.

Probably shouldn't have paid him so much goddamn money or so many years tho. Especially since now it seems like there won't be an amnesty clause in the new CBA.

They had a better version of Noah in Lopez.

I think the move was dumb because their best lineup was going to be Porzingis at the 5 and Melo at the 4. They should not have traded for Rose. If they wanted a big name they should have given Wade the money he wanted from Miami. Filled the PG spot with someone like DJ Augustin. They'd actually have a decent team if they did that.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Another underrated bad move was dumping Shumpert and JR for a crappy 2nd round pick in 2019. They were two rotation guys on a championship team.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Niwrad posted:

Another underrated bad move was dumping Shumpert and JR for a crappy 2nd round pick in 2019. They were two rotation guys on a championship team.

Mozgov was completely out of the rotation last year, but your point still stands.

Niwrad posted:

They had a better version of Noah in Lopez.

I think the move was dumb because their best lineup was going to be Porzingis at the 5 and Melo at the 4. They should not have traded for Rose. If they wanted a big name they should have given Wade the money he wanted from Miami. Filled the PG spot with someone like DJ Augustin. They'd actually have a decent team if they did that.

This really isn't true. I like Robin Lopez a lot but Noah has a completely different skillset than him and *was* a better defender.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

^^ Healthy Noah is worth the money and an ideal triangle big, but they took the risk that Noah could get healthy. I understand why they did it, but it was still a bad move.

Niwrad posted:

Shump's contract now looks bad (even though he started decent this year). If New York knew they didn't want to dedicate that much cap to him getting a 2nd rounder is fine. Sorta the same thing with JR, but he had another year so moving him was probably a bad idea. That move reeked of locker room/personal problems.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 16, 2016

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
Better D-League contracts are awesome as others have said. A drop in the bucket money-wise, and it will go a ways towards fixing the 2nd round and keeping American talent from fleeing to Europe.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Austin Rivers has quietly regressed from bad back to absolutely terrible through the first 11 games.

Even at 2 million a year he's a waste of money.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

My dream scenario: two years college ball required, college athletes paid, D-league salary 100k.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

kiimo posted:

My dream scenario: two years college ball required, college athletes paid, D-league salary 100k.

My dream - college basketball cored out by d league. gently caress the NCAA

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

kiimo posted:

My dream scenario: two years college ball required,

gently caress this

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
my dream scenario: a big plate of Cuban food and some loud for tonight's NBA offerings on ESPN

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

tarbrush posted:

My dream - college basketball cored out by d league. gently caress the NCAA

not an emptyquote

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I listened to a lakers cast and apparently Byron Scott is still salty about Deangelo Russel?

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

IcePhoenix posted:

This is legit incredible and a huge and awesome step.

Yeah, that's a really cool and good thing to do.

I can't wait for the think pieces arguing on the behalf of the NCAA how this will (somehow) ruin young men who would be better served to play basketball for free on a college campus.

"Well, you see, maturity, spoiled youth, hip-hop..."

*70 year old white dude farts into his khakis*"

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 16, 2016

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The D-League changes, vet minimum rising, and rookie scales going up is why the NBAPA don't care if the money split is the same in the new CBA, because the non-super stars are getting the benefits and they're the majority.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

D-League move owns

Next step should be changing the name from loving "D-League" to something that people won't be ashamed to play in. Maybe haul the ABA name out of retirement.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Who was the last good US born player who skipped the college track? I'm legit happy they are giving d league players decent salaries, but I'm not sure if this affects the pro game much.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tae posted:

The D-League changes, vet minimum rising, and rookie scales going up is why the NBAPA don't care if the money split is the same in the new CBA, because the non-super stars are getting the benefits and they're the majority.

Yeah it's good leadership by Chris Paul

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Lockback posted:

Who was the last good US born player who skipped the college track? I'm legit happy they are giving d league players decent salaries, but I'm not sure if this affects the pro game much.

Brandon Jennings?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lockback posted:

I'm not sure it's a good comparison because the options were to play for bad teams in Europe/China/Australia and they weren't really a good development environment. Also at least in college, even if you're not getting paid (lol), you've still got free housing and meals for the one year.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Brandon Jennings?

Mudiay

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
He said "good"

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Paul Zuvella posted:

This really isn't true. I like Robin Lopez a lot but Noah has a completely different skillset than him and *was* a better defender.

Noah hasn't been good in 2 years. His knee is shot. I love the guy to death but I don't know how any GM could watch film of him the last couple seasons and think he would be a net positive. Lopez is a pretty decent big on a really good contract.

I am glad Noah got paid because he was underpaid in Chicago and is a really good guy.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

I thought Mudiay immigrated from the Congo?

edit: yeah came over in 2001 when he was 4-5 years old.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
That D-League thing is cool. Add their per diem and poo poo and they're actually at a livable wage. Now if they could just get some D-League teams that aren't in the rear end end of nowhere (Austin and Santa Cruz excluded).

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

chunkles posted:

That D-League thing is cool. Add their per diem and poo poo and they're actually at a livable wage. Now if they could just get some D-League teams that aren't in the rear end end of nowhere (Austin and Santa Cruz excluded).

I don't think the per diem is what makes it a livable wage when they're making 50k.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Lockback posted:

Shump's contract now looks bad (even though he started decent this year). If New York knew they didn't want to dedicate that much cap to him getting a 2nd rounder is fine. Sorta the same thing with JR, but he had another year so moving him was probably a bad idea. That move reeked of locker room/personal problems.

The move maybe makes sense if they were planning on rebuilding, but they then proceeded to go into "win now" mode. And they got essentially nothing in return. That 2nd round pick has restrictions on it that make it really lovely. I guess I just don't see the point in the deal. Especially when Shumpert was an RFA and there is always a chance you could get him for cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Redgrendel2001 posted:

I thought Mudiay immigrated from the Congo?

edit: yeah came over in 2001 when he was 4-5 years old.

Eh, Mudiay would count because he grew up here but he is discounted for not being good.

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Brandon Jennings?

He might be the best example, but that's a weak outlier. I dunno, I think its cool and all but I don't think it will help the talent pool tremendously. What it may do is help middling players have a place to recover from injury or something to make another run.

• Locked thread