Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's weird that of all the old weird games I play Vexx was the one that got me made fun of...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

kaesarsosei posted:

one of exactly two good films Adam Sandler was ever involved in (Happy Gilmore).
Punch-Drunk Love is the only good Adam Sandler movie ya big goofball

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

Punch-Drunk Love is the only good Adam Sandler movie ya big goofball

Thats not really considered an Adam Sandler movie, its just a movie with Adam Sandler

:goonsay:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It's Paul Thomas Anderson making his interpretation of Adam Sandler movies.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I still have a lot of weird love for The Wedding Singer.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Henchman of Santa posted:

It's Paul Thomas Anderson making his interpretation of Adam Sandler movies.

I like this, never thought about it like that before. Its like the typical Sandler character who's an emotionally crippled man-child, but instead of falling rear end backwards into a relationship with a beautiful woman like he does in most of his movies, Anderson has him actually having to deal with and work around his neurosis in order to find some sort of companionship in life.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I was really surprised that Roger Ebert hated that movie. Like enough to stick in a book about movies he really hated. It's not like it strives to be anything more than a silly film with 80's throwbacks. He usually graded stupid movies on a curve as long as they succeeded in their own genre.

My child has an irrational love for Adam Sandler's most horrible movies (that one where he's a twin, Blended, Grownups 2). Even she was disappointed in Pixels.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

That was a good movie. So was Big Daddy.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Wedding Singer was actually not very well received on release, because the movie actually attempts to have a more genuine story, not just the goofy poo poo Sandler had done before like Happy Gilmore or Billy Madison. A lot of 12 year old boys just wanted another Happy Gilmore. I know I did, at the time I was wearing out my Happy Gilmore VHS tape, it was probably my favorite movie. It was only a few years later that I want back and gained a real appreciation for The Wedding Singer.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Basebf555 posted:

Wedding Singer was actually not very well received on release, because the movie actually attempts to have a more genuine story, not just the goofy poo poo Sandler had done before like Happy Gilmore or Billy Madison. A lot of 12 year old boys just wanted another Happy Gilmore. I know I did, at the time I was wearing out my Happy Gilmore VHS tape, it was probably my favorite movie. It was only a few years later that I want back and gained a real appreciation for The Wedding Singer.

Yeah, I remember hating it when it came out, and now it's one of my favorites and basically the only good Barrymore+Sandler movie.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Riding in Cars with Boys might have been a better movie with Adam Sandler in the Steve Zahn role.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

This reminds me that I have probably seen Mr. Deeds 10 or 12 times, mostly from ages 10-12.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
In Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping, Connor has a pet turtle named Maximus he considers his best friend. In some of his on-camera interviews, Connor's wearing a small gold chain with a little turtle on it. :3:

Since it's a Lonely Island movie, it might also be a reference to their album Turtleneck and Chain, but I'm probably reaching.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

In Mad Max: Fury Road, there's a lovely SPOILERS IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN THIS THING fakeout where Splendid (the pregnant preferred concubine of Immortan Joe) looks like she's about to die as she clings to the side of the war rig. Turns out she's fine. Then, a second later, she slips and falls to her death. It was only watching it again yesterday that I realised that she slipped because of the blood from where Max had shot her earlier. It was lovely.

Obviously the fakeout is lovely, but there's that added element that just made me point at the screen for a while like a simple man.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Two words that will always make that movie awesome - Billy Idol

UWBW
Aug 3, 2013

Permanently banned from the Alamo
Dunno if anyone's said this yet, but I absolutely love the intro of American Psycho. Red drops falling on a white background, with no other visual information present. The only thing you know about this movie, so far, is its title, so naturally you assume that the red drops are blood. And if I recall correctly, there are some pizzicato strings being plucked in the background for each drop. And then, slowly, the scene zooms out and you see it's actually just food being prepared, and the odd-sounding pizzicato strings are part of classical music. In essence, it sets the tone of the movie, in which you think terrible things are happening but in actuality nothing happens. It's a metaphor!

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Basebf555 posted:

The only thing that ruins The Wedding Singer is the god awful ending (aka, as soon as they are on the plane). Its incredibly hokey and feels really out of place with the rest of the film which is much more grounded in reality. It certainly feels like they needed a "feel good ending" tacked onto the end but didnt really do a convincing job with it.

Otherwise its still an amusing and rather well done rom com film.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Don't talk about billy idol that way!

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Flint_Paper posted:

Mad Max: Fury Road

I could talk about this movie all day. The Doof Warrior (Double-Necked Guitar Flame-Thrower Gimp) is attached to his giant mobile Amp platform by the same bouncey rig they used in the Thunderdome.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nutsngum posted:

The only thing that ruins The Wedding Singer is the god awful ending (aka, as soon as they are on the plane). Its incredibly hokey and feels really out of place with the rest of the film which is much more grounded in reality. It certainly feels like they needed a "feel good ending" tacked onto the end but didnt really do a convincing job with it.

Otherwise its still an amusing and rather well done rom com film.

Well that and it falls into the standard romcom trap of making the rival just a horrible person.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

It is difficult to create a baxter so vile that you are rooting for the female lead to get together with adam sandler instead of him.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Ignite Memories posted:

It is difficult to create a baxter so vile that you are rooting for the female lead to get together with adam sandler instead of him.

I remember watching Anger Management and just wishing that every character died alone.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Game of Thrones S06E02...
John Arryn is lovely with a bow...

That's not very subtle, but what is that he has the arrow nocked wrong. Arrows have 3 feathers, two that are the same color. The odd colored feather, blue in this case, should be pointing away from the bow. He doesn't even know the basic poo poo.

Even Edmure knows that much...

deoju has a new favorite as of 03:46 on Nov 17, 2016

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

muscles like this! posted:

Well that and it falls into the standard romcom trap of making the rival just a horrible person.

He was comic book evil. I assumed it was more of a send-up of the genre than a standard rom com.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

I can never rationalize why I like The Waterboy. So loving stupid it comes around to being funny again. Kind of like Pootie Tang, only not on purpose.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
It's a blink and you'll miss it kinda moment, but in Constantine, when John is walking into Papa Midnight's club , the bouncer tries to stop him. He holds up the card and John says "Bird on a ladder" and then punches him when the guard says "Sorry man". The card is actually a bird on the ladder. John had it right, the bouncer was just trying to stop him from coming in the club but John don't have time for that poo poo.

I didn't notice it till I was watching it on blu ray, and could finally make out the card in high def.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

It's a blink and you'll miss it kinda moment, but in Constantine, when John is walking into Papa Midnight's club , the bouncer tries to stop him. He holds up the card and John says "Bird on a ladder" and then punches him when the guard says "Sorry man". The card is actually a bird on the ladder. John had it right, the bouncer was just trying to stop him from coming in the club but John don't have time for that poo poo.

I didn't notice it till I was watching it on blu ray, and could finally make out the card in high def.

And that's another reason why Constantine deserves higher praise than it normally gets.
Gavin Rosdale should play demons all the time.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Inzombiac posted:

And that's another reason why Constantine deserves higher praise than it normally gets.
Gavin Rosdale should play demons all the time.

One of my guilty pleasures. I don't care that its about 5% authentic to the original. One of the few I can keep watching over and over.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

DandyLion posted:

One of my guilty pleasures. I don't care that its about 5% authentic to the original. One of the few I can keep watching over and over.

If it had been anyone other than Keanu, it would be regarded as a classic.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Aleph Null posted:

If it had been anyone other than Keanu, it would be regarded as a classic.

gently caress the Keanu haters, John wick was dope

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Poops Mcgoots posted:

gently caress the Keanu haters, John wick was dope

John Wick is an insanely good action film. I loved every minute of it. I'll watch anything Keanu does.:swoon:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Chichevache posted:

John Wick is an insanely good action film. I loved every minute of it. I'll watch anything Keanu does.:swoon:

If you want to see a good Keanu movie check out the one he directed "Man of Tai Chi." Keanu plays the American bad guy who runs an illegal fight club and tries to corrupt a good Chinese martial artist.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

muscles like this! posted:

If you want to see a good Keanu movie check out the one he directed "Man of Tai Chi." Keanu plays the American bad guy who runs an illegal fight club and tries to corrupt a good Chinese martial artist.

Sounds tight, is it on anything streaming?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

DandyLion posted:

I just wish they had called it,"Demon Detective" or something and just completely tossed aside any connection to Constantine. As a movie in its own right it's solid if unspectacular and an enjoyable watch, the big problem I had with it is that it bears only the most cursory resemblance to the source material/titular character.

Apart from the moment where John gets saved and flips off the devil as he goes, that was pure, perfect Constantine :allears:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rolo posted:

Sounds tight, is it on anything streaming?

Last I looked it was on Amazon Prime.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I just wish they had called it,"Demon Detective" or something and just completely tossed aside any connection to Constantine. As a movie in its own right it's solid if unspectacular and an enjoyable watch, the big problem I had with it is that it bears only the most cursory resemblance to the source material/titular character.

Apart from the moment where John gets saved and flips off the devil as he goes, that was pure, perfect Constantine :allears:

My only exposure to Constantine is the movie and his brief appearance in The Sandman, and I thought they nailed the tone of it.

Also the demon getting weirded out by his reflection after taking human form was a nice touch too.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Strom Cuzewon posted:

My only exposure to Constantine is the movie and his brief appearance in The Sandman, and I thought they nailed the tone of it.

Also the demon getting weirded out by his reflection after taking human form was a nice touch too.

The comic version is more snarky and loves to show how much smarter he is than everyone (like a supernatural Sherlock). He's a good character but it can be grating.

But when it's good... holy poo poo.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
It has the distinction of having one of the few male bi protagonists

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Who gives a poo poo about bi characters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

eightpole posted:

Who gives a poo poo about bi characters?

Bi people & non-assholes might