Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

You ever heard of the term "the buck stops here"?

That's not an answer, and quite frankly you seem to care more about your own ego than you do about the suffering of other human beings. In fact, you've done barely anything but gloat about it and insult or even make poo poo up about Democrats ever since the 8th, because god forbid other people care about minorities before your glorious revolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Hollismason posted:

Things would have been better if Obama had acted like a Chicago Politician and just started loving Republican's over hard core when they wouldn't step in line.

My criticism of him was that he never seems to want to play hard ball with people.

rahm Emanuel 2020

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Specifically, a registry for immigrants from Muslim countries.

Which is still garbage. The Department of Homeland Security also rejected it once already as, more or less, redundant.

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?

Pedro De Heredia posted:

No one said 'appeal to everyone'.

When people talk about appealing to 'the white working class', they're not talking about appealing to the whole of white working class. They're talking about appealing to people who have voted for Democrats in the past.

There are many people who simply do not think Obama's presidency was 'good' for them, and in a material sense, they're right.

You didn't address the second part of my question at all, which is "How should Democrats frame their messaging to these selected white working class members in the face of blatant lies by Republican candidates, including that their dreams will come true (among many, many others), in such a way that their policy-heavy messages won't be tuned out by the sort of person who can be convinced to vote for Donald Trump (e.g.) based solely on the strength of whatever nebulous lie has been told to them?"

Also, how did you get from "appeal to everyone" which I put in quotes because you said it to "appeal to whatever part of the white working class that used to vote for Democrats." How do you reconcile shaping a message to a group of voters who voted for Donald loving Trump (lol) while also maintaining the rest of your voter coalition?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

disjoe posted:

I didn't just pull that example out of thin air either, CBS Sunday Morning went to COAL Country (God help them) and asked them who they voted for and why. One woman was a single mother (of like four!) who didn't vote.

I would never condescend in the real world and agree that we should try to understand, but for me the initial stage of understanding someone like her is scratching my head and making a sarcastic comment on an Internet forum.

The woman voting for Trump that *knew* he would bring back all the coal jobs was depressing as gently caress.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think the order we need to be considering is one that's relatively likely. Ie., What if Trump orders a nuclear launch against Aleppo?

What is Aleppo?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Ron Johnson ran an ad (now missing from YouTube apparently) attacking Russ Feingold for voting against "giving law enforcement the tools to keep Americans safe from international terror".

As in: Russ Feingold was the only Senator who voted against the PATRIOT Act. And Russ somehow had to defend himself over that.

This loving election. This loving country. You're not wrong at all.

People want the illusion of security, the PATRIOT Act and things like a Muslim Registry (what the goddamn gently caress) create that illusion very easily.

The most hilarious(?) thing is people who are in favor of those things then turn around and talk about how gun control legislation creates an illusion of security.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I don't think anyone except the most bad-faith neocon shill is pretending that the Bush administration didn't start eroding our rights bigtime post-9/11, even the Bushies I've spoken to just quibble on whether Obama was still worse because he kept and expanded the security state, but Democrats have been fully enthusiastic participants in that and like clockwork when challenged on this from within the party wash their hands of their own ongoing policy with a "Bush did it first!!!"

It's just whataboutism that lets politicians and their fanboys dodge answering for what they are actively doing, and will continue to do.

Saying "what about the politicians who continue and expand the programs" is also whataboutism. It ends up absolving the initial offenders (by making it the new guy's problem, just like the GOP did to Obama on things like the financial crisis, Hurricane Katrina, Iraq, 9/11, and so on) and also has the effect that it creates the occasional bullshit pie-in-the-sky idea that if you vote in the party who put the poo poo in place in the first place that they'll pull a Nixon and do something accidentally good by dismantling it.

You are right that we should hold our politicians accountable for their bullshit, but there's a fine line to walk between holding the Democrats responsible for expanding the surveillance state instead of getting rid of it like they said they would, and giving them sole blame for the problem existing.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Nov 16, 2016

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Skex posted:

Where did I say anything about ignoring those challenges? What I said is that the we need to stop ignoring the economic inequity.

Here's the current situation. Establishment democratic politicians almost completely ignore the economic inequity, no not ignore it but rather support policies that perpetuate and worsen it while smiling patronizingly at people and saying "don't worry about feeding your family we'll fight to make sure that people don't call you names or stop you from spending the money you aren't earning"

Oh and remember that we're fighting for you so don't get mad when we through you under the bus by pushing tough on crime policies that lock away a disproportionate number of you in order to placate the opposition and carve out a few more right wing votes.

And yes they are all caused by economic inequity, racism in America has always been a tool of the powerful to maintain their power and that power is based on economic inequity. You show an extreme ignorance of history to think otherwise. White privilege was created specifically to keep poor whites in line. it's the classic divide and conquer strategy. Poor whites are co-opted into the system by giving them "privilege" which provides them some advantage over the group who should be their natural allies, just like some slaves were given privileges to bind them to their masters over other slaves. Just as managers are bound to the executives in the corporate world by giving them power over the grunt workers.

It's all about power imbalances and economics is all about power, so extreme concentrations of wealth are by definition extreme concentrations of power. And while it's true that eliminating such imbalances would not instantly resolve all other inequities ignoring those imbalances is just paying lip service to the needs of minorities while leaving the underlying cause of the inequities unaddressed. Which will only lead to other inequities in the future in an ultimately futile game of whack-a-mole.

This is really well said.

Thank you for being so articulate about the points that we who aren't fans of the Clintons and new dems are trying to make.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

mastershakeman posted:

rahm Emanuel 2020

gently caress. I know its a joke but gently caress. gently caress!

e: fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

A lovely Reporter posted:

That's not an answer, and quite frankly you seem to care more about your own ego than you do about the suffering of other human beings. In fact, you've done barely anything but gloat about it and insult or even make poo poo up about Democrats ever since the 8th, because god forbid other people care about minorities before your glorious revolution.

Sir, I am a disabled minority who's part of the working class

This is the only place where I can gloat :smith:

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Skex posted:

Where did I say anything about ignoring those challenges? What I said is that the we need to stop ignoring the economic inequity.

Friend, saying "this is the primary problem, all others are secondary" inherently minimizes them, which we cannot do.

Skex posted:

And yes they are all caused by economic inequity, racism in America has always been a tool of the powerful to maintain their power and that power is based on economic inequity. You show an extreme ignorance of history to think otherwise. White privilege was created specifically to keep poor whites in line. it's the classic divide and conquer strategy. Poor whites are co-opted into the system by giving them "privilege" which provides them some advantage over the group who should be their natural allies, just like some slaves were given privileges to bind them to their masters over other slaves. Just as managers are bound to the executives in the corporate world by giving them power over the grunt workers.

:allears: I'm a contact period and early-colonial period historian, tell me more about how I'm "extremely ignorant" of history. Economic factors have always been key, and divide-and-rule was the original reason for creating the distinction between indentured servitude and slavery. But the point is that modern racism has long since become independent of that calculating decision; it is now its own force, which while closely related with economic injustice, is also not caused by it.

Skex posted:

It's all about power imbalances and economics is all about power, so extreme concentrations of wealth are by definition extreme concentrations of power. And while it's true that eliminating such imbalances would not instantly resolve all other inequities ignoring those imbalances is just paying lip service to the needs of minorities while leaving the underlying cause of the inequities unaddressed. Which will only lead to other inequities in the future in an ultimately futile game of whack-a-mole.

I am not advocating for ignoring economic imbalances, literally the opposite, why fall back on attacking that point? Literally my entire argument is that you cannot reduce pluralism or economic justice to a sub-plank of the other because that will inevitably lead to failure.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Angry_Ed posted:

People want the illusion of security, the PATRIOT Act and things like a Muslim Registry (what the goddamn gently caress) create that illusion very easily.

The most hilarious(?) thing is people who are in favor of those things then turn around and talk about how gun control legislation creates an illusion of security.

Saying "what about the politicians who continue and expand the programs" is also whataboutism. It completely absolves the initial offenders (by making it the new guy's problem, just like the GOP did to Obama on things like the financial crisis, hurricane Katrina, Iraq, 9/11, and so on) and also has the effect that it creates the occasional bullshit pie-in-the-sky idea that if you vote in the party who put the poo poo in place in the first place that they'll pull a Nixon and do something accidentally good by dismantling it.

Do you think the immediate priority here is launching some kind of Nuremberg tribunal for the initial signatories to the PATRIOT act, or getting sitting politicians to stop the NSA from monitoring your every word for thoughtcrime that the President's star chamber can legally try you in secret and sentence you to death for?

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 16, 2016

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Then why in god's name are you so much more invested in attacking Hillary and establishment Democrats than the people who want to murder you? :psyduck:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Owning an agricultural plot in a foreign country makes you a member of international capital and a class-traitor.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Hollismason posted:

Things would have been better if Obama had acted like a Chicago Politician and just started loving Republican's over hard core when they wouldn't step in line.

My criticism of him was that he never seems to want to play hard ball with people.
:agreed:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Do you think the immediate priority here is launching some kind of Nuremberg tribunal for the initial signatories to the PATRIOT act, or getting sitting politicians to stop the NSA from monitoring your every word for thoughtcrime that the President's star chamber can legally order your assassination for?

I had added the answer to your question through an Edit but i'll restate it here. Yes we should hold sitting politicians accountable for their bullshit or walking back promises, they are after all the only ones who can really do anything about it at this point. But at the same time we have to make it absolutely 100% loving clear who was responsible for this poo poo so that Republicans can't just get elected back in and do it all over again because "well warrantless wiretapping and NSA overreach was a Democrat idea, honest". There is a super-fine line to walk there and I don't know if anybody has the skill at being that nuanced or even if the general public would care about that nuance. gently caress's sake there are people who blame Obama for a Hurricane that happened 3 years before he was President.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Specifically, a registry for immigrants from Muslim countries.

Which is still garbage. The Department of Homeland Security also rejected it once already as, more or less, redundant.

Yeah. It's hosed up and reprehensible but it's little different from the program under Bush and unless I'm missing something in that article it's only talking about Muslim immigrants and visitors and not actual Muslims citizens. Yes slippery slope I know. ITS BAD. But things like this have been defeated in the infant stages before.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Potato Salad posted:

You have a weird way of trying to tack singular blame onto liberal politicians, giving the actual president from 2002 a free card on this one.

Obama could have disbanded the whole thing in 08 but he didn't. Instead he doubled down and codified it into law and as a result an orange lunatic now has the keys to every piece of personal information in existence.

So yeah, gently caress Obama.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yeah. It's hosed up and reprehensible but it's little different from the program under Bush and unless I'm missing something in that article it's only talking about Muslim immigrants and visitors and not actual Muslims citizens. Yes slippery slope I know. ITS BAD. But things like this have been defeated in the infant stages before.

The first step in defeating it in early stages is to be solid in your opposition. You came off as....wishy washy on whether this program was a problem because that program is something we've been living with already, where are the gas chambers?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

mastershakeman posted:

rahm Emanuel 2020

Not my imaginary girlfriend president!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Is there anyone on that list that isn't completely reprehensible?

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Owning an agricultural plot in a foreign country makes you a member of international capital and a class-traitor.

I actually got that land with my disability money and currently it is inhabited by a poor Ecuadorian family that can now grow a crop and sell it in the markets. And I was born in that country so it's not foreign to me lol

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Then why in god's name are you so much more invested in attacking Hillary and establishment Democrats than the people who want to murder you? :psyduck:

Criticizing is not attacking. I criticize because I want them to be better.

I'm trying to better the Democratic Party to what I think is a party for all minorities and the working class, not rich folk.

That's the Republican Party.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

readingatwork posted:

Obama could have disbanded the whole thing in 08 but he didn't. Instead he doubled down and codified it into law and as a result an orange lunatic now has the keys to every piece of personal information in existence.

The Trump administration whistleblowers are going to be amazing. If we and they live that long.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

The backbone of the military is the NCO.

Yeah and NCOs are generally cynical angry assholes. They're the ones who serve on military juries- ever wonder why the conviction rate under UCMJ is much higher than in the civilian judicial system?

I'm not saying the military would go along with anything Trump orders, but placing blind trust in the military to do the right thing in a moment of uncertainty/moral ambiguity is a risky bet.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

readingatwork posted:

So he dismantles it and in 2012 Romney/Huckabee/JEB!/Perry/Gingrich (pick your favorite) is elected on the wave of "The Muslim Hordes are infiltrating this country and we need to re-establish the PATRIOT Act", what now? Like do you honestly believe Democrats would win a messaging war about how the PATRIOT Act and Warrantless Wiretapping were bad? You could sell this country that getting stabbed through the eye with a needle every day would prevent terrorism and people would gladly do it.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The Trump administration whistleblowers are going to be amazing. If we and they live that long.

Whole agencies find themselves staffed entirely with sleeper whistleblowers.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Unzip and Attack posted:

Yeah and NCOs are generally cynical angry assholes. They're the ones who serve on military juries- ever wonder why the conviction rate under UCMJ is much higher than in the civilian judicial system?

I'm not saying the military would go along with anything Trump orders, but placing blind trust in the military to do the right thing in a moment of uncertainty/moral ambiguity is a risky bet.

As a Marine NCO, my experience was a different one.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Angry_Ed posted:

So he dismantles it and in 2012 Romney/Huckabee/JEB!/Perry/Gingrich (pick your favorite) is elected on the wave of "The Muslim Hordes are infiltrating this country and we need to re-establish the PATRIOT Act", what now? Like do you honestly believe Democrats would win a messaging war about how the PATRIOT Act and Warrantless Wiretapping were bad? You could sell this country that getting stabbed through the eye with a needle every day would prevent terrorism and people would gladly do it.

You're missing the point, at his drum circle and/or young libertarians weekly coffee and grindr meeting they are certain it would be very popular and not at all politically harmful to do X, Y and Z.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Angry_Ed posted:

I had added the answer to your question through an Edit but i'll restate it here. Yes we should hold sitting politicians accountable for their bullshit or walking back promises, they are after all the only ones who can really do anything about it at this point. But at the same time we have to make it absolutely 100% loving clear who was responsible for this poo poo so that Republicans can't just get elected back in and do it all over again because "well warrantless wiretapping and NSA overreach was a Democrat idea, honest". There is a super-fine line to walk there and I don't know if anybody has the skill at being that nuanced or even if the general public would care about that nuance. gently caress's sake there are people who blame Obama for a Hurricane that happened 3 years before he was President.

Were a Democratic administration to roll back NSA total surveillance and the FISA courts there is no danger they would end up getting the blame for creating them in the next election, I know people here don't want to acknowledge the logic of the electoral system when it's unfavorable to them but this pretense that voters are just crazy fuckin' random morons who flip a coin on what to believe and you can't do anything about it has got to stop. The Democrats currently own the NSA and FISA and the whole totalitarian package because they've spent their time in power supporting them; they're thoroughly bipartisan policy that plays poorly to the public. Like a lot of other things the leadership of both parties very much wants and very much doesn't want to be publicly associated with (corporate welfare, your job getting sent to China, the tax code being lenient on their billionaire buddies) they play this little game where they each pretend their role in perpetuating it doesn't count because the other guy's also done something to promote it, so really when you think about it it's his fault, and their partisans who mostly get their news from party-leaning sources go for it every single time, and no further questions get asked.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 16, 2016

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

greatn posted:

Alfred's speech was bullshit. The theif's motivation was obvious. The theif didn't want foreign governments bribing corrupt officials for control of his country. "Some men just want to watch the world burn" Alfred says, and in the next sentence admits that it was he in fact that actually burned down the forest to kill this guy.

I was referring to the whole thing with the mobsters in their desperation turning to a man they didn't quite fully understand.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

"Why are you so invested in making a case against the sort of divide and conquer tactics that have let our party's privileged establishment continually ignore and sideline vitally needed reforms to the ongoing detriment of our party's political prospects and the country as a whole? The opposition doesn't agree with you about these things at all and has no respect for your opinion, so wouldn't it be better to just focus your efforts on telling people how terrible they are?"

I don't think this is a super compelling argument myself, but I'm a(n inadequately) salaried white dude so feel free to ignore me

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

LGD posted:

"Why are you so invested in making a case against the sort of divide and conquer tactics that have let our party's privileged establishment continually ignore and sideline vitally needed reforms to the ongoing detriment of our party's political prospects and the country as a whole? The opposition doesn't agree with you about these things at all and has no respect for your opinion, so wouldn't it be better to just focus your efforts on telling people how terrible they are?"

I don't think this is a super compelling argument myself, but I'm a(n inadequately) salaried white dude so feel free to ignore me

:stare:

Th...this...

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Were a Democratic administration to walk back NSA total surveillance and the FISA courts it is incredibly unlikely they would end up owning them in the next election, I know people here don't want to acknowledge the logic of the electoral system when it's unfavorable to them but this pretense that voters are just crazy fuckin' random morons who flip a coin on what to believe and you can't do anything about it has got to stop. The Democrats currently own the NSA and FISA because they've spent their time in power supporting them; they're bipartisan policy that plays poorly to the public, and like a lot of other things the leadership of both parties very much wants and very much doesn't want to be publicly associated with (globalism, corporate welfare) they play this little game where they pretend their role in perpetuating it doesn't count because the other guy's also doing it, so really when you think about it it's his fault, and their partisans who mostly get their news from party-leaning sources go for it every single time, and no further questions get asked.

If you honestly think that anybody, Democrat or further left, is capable of winning a messaging war that starts with "The PATRIOT Act and warrantless wiretapping did not actually do a drat thing to keep us safe and are in fact infringing on the rights of innocent Americans" 8 years ago or even now, then you are hopelessly naive. I'm not even saying we don't hold people accountable for not doing what they said they'd do (we definetely need to do that more so that they actually feel their actions have consequences), I'm just trying to point out how without proper messaging it would be political goddamn suicide to do so, and ultimately might not accomplish anything especially since Republicans have no problem creating laws to gently caress people in the name of "security", and who's going to replace those Democrats that "have left us defenseless against infiltration from our enemies?" take a guess.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Nov 16, 2016

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Welp, looks like the Republican Legislative Strategy is to pass a giant omnibus reconciliation bill very quickly. The bill will be filibuster proof because it is a budget reconciliation vote and it will have so many components that it will be difficult to attack any specific aspect. It will also include a 2-year time bomb that will end Obamacare, but not until after the 2018 elections.

quote:

Republicans would quickly vote, through a reconciliation bill, to dismantle the law’s subsidies. They could do this in a massive reconciliation bill that also advanced other priorities, like a large upper-bracket tax cut, cuts in spending on anti-poverty programs, defunding agencies that regulate Wall Street, Carbon and Pollution Emitters, and other priorities. But the defunding of Obamacare would be delayed for two years, until after the 2018 midterm elections, to shield the GOP from the political impact. In the meantime, Trump will deliberately impair the law’s functioning through administrative action, so that the exchanges lost customers rather than gained them. Two years later, the participation rate in the exchanges will have plummetted low enough to limit the political damage and optics of ending them entirely.

This plan would give Republicans two more years to design their alternative. By 2019, they would likely have eliminated the filibuster over some other dispute. If not, eliminating the law might give them leverage to try to force Democrats to participate in some kind of ultra-threadbare replacement plan. The leverage would be that, if they fail to support it, Obamacare would disappear without anything at all taking its place.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Getting my passport renewed so I can take advantage of PRC ten year entry visa

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Just what they WANT us to think!

https://twitter.com/business/status/798948028698816512

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Potato Salad posted:

Registration actually is a step toward the final solution. Like, how, based on history, is registration of a religious group not a step toward the final solution?

Oh so now registration is a step towards elimination.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Welp, looks like the Republican Legislative Strategy is to pass a giant omnibus reconciliation bill very quickly. The bill will be filibuster proof because it is a budget reconciliation vote and it will have so many components that it will be difficult to attack any specific aspect. It will also include a 2-year time bomb that will end Obamacare, but not until after the 2018 elections.

But I thought the democrats gained some seats in both houses of congress??

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

mcmagic posted:

Is there anyone on that list that isn't completely reprehensible?

Mike Lee lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

:laffo: at the centrists going "buh... buh... but the voters!" over the patriot act of all things. you know why people don't turnout? it's cause you're all too scared to actually stand for anything

• Locked thread