Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Yeah that's much better than when a friend of mine bought a Sega Game Gear in... 2005?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

strangemusic posted:

You bought something good.

Remind me again which Dreamcast games actually worth playing are not already cheaply available for better systems?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Remind me again which Dreamcast games actually worth playing are not already cheaply available for better systems?

Seaman?

And...uhh...the Dreamcast version of Symphony of the Night has some content that wasn't on the PS1 version, so there's that, I guess?

Edit: Whoops, I was thinking of the Sega Satrun...I'm a dumbass.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 15:47 on Nov 17, 2016

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Yeah that's much better than when a friend of mine bought a Sega Game Gear in... 2005?

Did he have an entire closet of AA batteries that he needed to clear out in short order?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Shenmue...maybe?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Jerry Cotton posted:

I sold my 360 long ago and I really wanted to play Rez. Also I've never owned a Sega system so its a fun novelty.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

rockcity posted:

Did he have an entire closet of AA batteries that he needed to clear out in short order?

I don't think I've ever played my Game Gear without the AC adapter.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Jerry Cotton posted:

The DC version is the good version of Marvel vs. Capcom 2.

Also, Power Stone, Shenmue, Segagaga, Grandia 2...

You're talking to a guy who buys 4 track tape machines to make noise on when he could easily gently caress about in Ableton cheaply and on a better system. Why? Because it's fun.

SPEAKING OF WHICH: I traded some gear and got this for free.

strangemusic has a new favorite as of 17:57 on Nov 16, 2016

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

strangemusic posted:

The DC version is the good version of Marvel vs. Capcom 2.

I'd ask what's different from the Xbox 360 or PS3 ports but I know I don't need to because it's about 100% certain it's something literally no-one else cares about :smugmrgw:

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
i bought a baby gate with a built in cat door so that our cats dont bitch and moan about not being able to go in and out of every room as they please

the little bastards

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

welcome 2 Clown Town posted:

i bought a baby gate with a built in cat door so that our cats dont bitch and moan about not being able to go in and out of every room as they please

the little bastards

You know cats can just go over a baby gate with zero issue right

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
You don't understand the sheer corpulence of these cats.

===

Last night I bought ten Pomegranates.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

I'd ask what's different from the Xbox 360 or PS3 ports but I know I don't need to because it's about 100% certain it's something literally no-one else cares about :smugmrgw:

Ask and ye shall receive. :dealwithit:

The DC version is considered to be the most faithful to the original arcade machine board version. They had to fudge a bunch of stuff to make the other ports work at next gen resolution/framerate - it doesn't run as smoothly and there are some weird issues with the sprites in certain cases that make it ambiguous as to where exactly certain moves do or do not register as hitting. At the pro level back in the day this was a big deal. It's like why Smash players still have CRT TV's kicking around.

However the main thing is that it's cheaper. The PS2 port goes for silly expensive prices on the used market because it was produced for a very short time and is much harder to find. You could buy a used DC and a copy of the Marvel disc for what a PS2 copy costs.

Also the X360 and PS3 versions have been de-listed from XBL/PSN for a while.

strangemusic has a new favorite as of 19:51 on Nov 16, 2016

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

PCOS Bill posted:

maybe these cattes are really fatte

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

PCOS Bill posted:

I am more wondering how there is a child still small enough to need a gate, that is not able to also fit through the cat door that these bigass fat cats can fit through.

welcome 2 Clown Town, can you explain the logistical situation here?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Aramek posted:

You don't understand the sheer corpulence of these cats.

===

Last night I bought ten Pomegranates.

Ten pomegranates is too much for cats

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull

Doom Rooster posted:

I am more wondering how there is a child still small enough to need a gate, that is not able to also fit through the cat door that these bigass fat cats can fit through.

welcome 2 Clown Town, can you explain the logistical situation here?

its very simple

one of our cats is retarded

the other one is fat

the baby gate goes at the top of the stairs to the basement where the cats' litterbox is located

the cats, because of their handicaps, are not able to jump from the top stair over a normal babygate and must therefore have an easy opening to get through

even though fat cat is fat, and retarded cat is stupid, they should be able to get through the catflap

also baby is too big to get through catflap

there you go

e: addendum - fat cat could probably make the jump but refuses to, and stupid cat certainly could but is too dumb to realize that it is even possible

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Nephzinho posted:

Ditto for me with Game Gear and the Atari Lynx. Back in the day when you didn't get portable systems for their portability, just to play video games in your bedroom before every kid had a TV there.

I also bought a used Dreamcast years back when the disc reader in my launch unit finally died. I don't really use it for dreamcast games though, just one NES emulator disc. Oh as another Dreamcast recommendation, try to get a hold of all those Beats of Rage open source clones. Someone made an engine that basically does Final Fight/Streets of Rage style beat em ups, then everyone took it and reskinned it to whatever theme you can think of. Website here: http://www.chronocrash.com/forum/

Edit: seems like that has grown into a pretty widely used engine for Steam/Android games, so I don't see any handy link to Dreamcast cd downloads but they're out there somewhere.

davebo has a new favorite as of 18:47 on Nov 16, 2016

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

PCOS Bill posted:

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Nephzinho posted:

It was absurd to even try. I don't think you got more than two hours out of it on batteries. I used to travel with a drat backpack full of batteries when my family was on vacation.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Edit: oops

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Cat-approved winter setup for my head.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

rockcity posted:

It was absurd to even try. I don't think you got more than two hours out of it on batteries. I used to travel with a drat backpack full of batteries when my family was on vacation.

I used to grab 40 packs of AA batteries before family trips... for my Game Boy.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."
There's a 50% off Criterion Collection stuff on the barnes and noble website, so I picked up this, which I had considered buying earlier but didn't due to cost.

Can't wait to watch some depressing Polish movies!

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

its very simple

one of our cats is retarded

the other one is fat

the baby gate goes at the top of the stairs to the basement where the cats' litterbox is located

the cats, because of their handicaps, are not able to jump from the top stair over a normal babygate and must therefore have an easy opening to get through

even though fat cat is fat, and retarded cat is stupid, they should be able to get through the catflap

also baby is too big to get through catflap

there you go

e: addendum - fat cat could probably make the jump but refuses to, and stupid cat certainly could but is too dumb to realize that it is even possible

That all makes sense. Thanks. But, kid is gonna get through that flap.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

rockcity posted:

You could practically hear the batteries being drained. I was always surprised that they maintained their shape and didn't crumple like a plastic soda bottle when drunk too quickly.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

spog posted:

You could practically hear the batteries being drained. I was always surprised that they maintained their shape and didn't crumple like a plastic soda bottle when drunk too quickly.

The reverse is fairly amusing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-RZ5RTAdSg

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

strangemusic posted:

SPEAKING OF WHICH: I traded some gear and got this for free.

Holy poo poo, the TASCAM Portastudio! That was my jam when I was in my early twenties. I used to make crappy garage band tapes with those to send to local clubs in Chicago as demos. SO MUCH TRACK BOUNCING.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Jerry Cotton posted:

I was going to say 'Bomberman, if you want to play with a hell of a lot of people", but it turns out that hasn't been true for the last 10 years, and even then I guess wasn't true if you liked the Saturn better.

Every once and a while I think about getting a Dreamcast but then questions like the above remind me why I shouldn't.

The product I think I'd be more interested in is a cat gate that dedicated little animals couldn't scale/jump/knock over, wish that I had similarly challenged cats.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Jerry Cotton posted:

Sonic heroes

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Chu Chu Rocket

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Google cardboard. Just to see the vr version of 'The Garden of Earthly Delights'.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Jerry Cotton posted:

Soul Calibur. No question. Better than perfect arcade port with extra features, and a launch title.

16 years later I can still recall the time I put into that game every day. God drat that game was so good. And a loving launch title! No sequel ever came come to just how perfect that game was on the Dreamcast.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Soul Calibur. No question.

I liked beating people by wildly mashing buttons.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
That's me with every fighting game. Except the beating people part. And the liking part.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Virtual On: Ontario Tanggrem (or whatever the gently caress it's called) was pretty dope, although it definitely lacked the feel of the arcade's twin joysticks.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

colas posted:

I liked beating people by wildly mashing buttons.

Soul Caliber remains one of the few arcade games that I've finished on 1CC.

I've also only played it once.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

VOOT is a goddamn arcade classic and every few weeks I eye the super expensive Hori controller and think about blowing a paycheck on it and a JP copy of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DGMPvnM3ic

:allears:

Shikantaza
Sep 10, 2016
Continuing the theme of old game tech, though my one is significantly more scratched than the pic

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Micros cost so damned much for how old they are :negative: