Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Arcland posted:

I'm surprised people had used the online services. Seems like a good time to make sure the 3ds can't even access online in case you mistakenly go online in Sumo.

If they got the game legit why not? Not the players business if some store breaks street date, pretty dumb considering some of them will be literal kids. Though people with hacked roms yea those had this coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Zore posted:

If a pokemon isn't on the list, it can't be easily chained for Shinies/High IVs and you can't currently get its hidden ability in Gen VII.

Additionally, pokemon can 'Call for Help' pokemon outside of their evolutionary line. Pichu can call Happiny, for instance. However, only pokemon of the original line can continue calling for help.
So can you get HA Chansey if Pichu calls a Happiny, or do the IV bonuses and HA chance and Shiny bonus only apply to the original line?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Zore posted:

Also, there's been some more work done on the Call for Help mechanic.

I know that Bagon can summon a Salamance, are there any other Pokemon that can summon their own evolutions? Can they all? This could make getting pain in the rear end Pokes like Scizor a lot easier

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I doubt there was a mass ban on a broken street date. It would have affected reviewers as well since there isn't anything special about their copies.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I know that Bagon can summon a Salamance, are there any other Pokemon that can summon their own evolutions? Can they all? This could make getting pain in the rear end Pokes like Scizor a lot easier

I've seen a Magby summon a Magmar.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

They can if they're in a nearby encounter table. Mence, for some reason, is a 1% encounter in a nearby patch of grass.

So no Scizors unfortunately.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

So can you get HA Chansey if Pichu calls a Happiny, or do the IV bonuses and HA chance and Shiny bonus only apply to the original line?

You can get the HA and IVs, it just breaks the chain if you KO the Pichu.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Right, I'm sure I'm underestimating Alola, but it just seems like an entire new generation shouldn't take a speed-inversion gimmick to be even remotely interesting. I wouldn't mind GF nerfing speed on previous generations if they just want to make speed less of a thing, but I do think it feels weird to have S&M so distinctly slower than every previous gen as a whole.
It wouldn't be the first time they did dumb poo poo like that, like how they introduced infinite TMs in Gen V and correspondingly screwed a lot of Unova Pokemon on movepools.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Dehry posted:

I doubt there was a mass ban on a broken street date. It would have affected reviewers as well since there isn't anything special about their copies.

Reviewers were told not to use the online features. So yeah, Nintendo just applied a blanket NNID ban on everyone who did.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also, vindication on Comatose

quote:

Comatose acts as if the Pokemon with the ability were asleep, but without the sleep status being applied. This includes status immunity and the inability to be put to sleep/use Rest. (ih8ih8sn0w) Sleep Talk and Snore can be used by Pokemon with Comatose. Hex and Wake-Up slap deal double damage to Pokemon with Comatose. Mold Breaker ignores Comatose.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
How do you tell the IVs/nature/ability of the summoned Pokemon? Do you just chain-catch them and check at the end? Sorry if this is a dumb question

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?

ChaosArgate posted:

Anyone know where the Skull Tank can be bought? I feel like I missed a boutique somewhere, but I'm not sure where.

Po Town Pokemon Center. Might be post game only.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So are tms still unlimited use

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Crumbletron posted:

How do you tell the IVs/nature/ability of the summoned Pokemon? Do you just chain-catch them and check at the end? Sorry if this is a dumb question

I haven't heard any reports of "pokemon must be alone to catch" changing, so if you're not hunting for a hidden ability that announces itself (like a Snow Warning Vulpix) you just have to grind it.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 16, 2016

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Calaveron posted:

Yes.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Zurai posted:

I haven't heard any reports of "pokemon must be alone to catch", so if you're not hunting for a hidden ability that announces itself (like a Snow Warning Vulpix) you just have to grind it.

Unfortunately, that is the case. You can't use a Pokeball while 2 Pokemon are out on the field.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Calaveron posted:

Why would they EVER change that back to being one use only?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Unfortunately, that is the case. You can't use a Pokeball while 2 Pokemon are out on the field.

I missed a word, I meant I hadn't heard it's changed (which you just confirmed). So yeah, while hidden abilities are fairly straightforward to get, it's gonna be a bit of a grind for things that don't announce themselves (or not announce when the normal ability does announce). And Lord help you if you want something like an Oblivious Salandit female.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Zurai posted:

I missed a word, I meant I hadn't heard it's changed (which you just confirmed). So yeah, while hidden abilities are fairly straightforward to get, it's gonna be a bit of a grind for things that don't announce themselves (or not announce when the normal ability does announce). And Lord help you if you want something like an Oblivious Salandit female.

At least with the change so that you can swap newly caught pokemon into your team immediately you don't have to run back to the pokecenter between every catch to check, or stockpile a bunch!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
So for those who know the availability of Pokémon in Sun/Moon, I'm looking to build a bulky team for the main game including Incineroar and Mimikyu. What are some swolemons that are available in a reasonable time frame to build a team with?

I normally just build with high speed glass cannons so this will be a nice change of pace.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

So for those who know the availability of Pokémon in Sun/Moon, I'm looking to build a bulky team for the main game including Incineroar and Mimikyu. What are some swolemons that are available in a reasonable time frame to build a team with?

I normally just build with high speed glass cannons so this will be a nice change of pace.

Munchlax and Bonsly are super early. So are Mareanie (Toxapex), Vullaby (Moon), Roggenrola, Magnemite, Grimer-A, Mudbray :shrug:

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Zurai posted:

OK, thanks. I was mostly wondering if there was a way to be like "OK, I can stop chaining and just catch this one" during the battle but I guess not

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Other fun things about encounters:

Day/Night encounter tables are back. Rattata/Yungoos, Spinarak/Ledyba, Wingull/Pikipek and others wholly replace the other in the encounter tables.

Eevee can call Espeon for Help during the day and Umbreon at night

Similarly, you can catch Happiny early as hell if its called by Pichu or Igglybuff

Cubone will occasionally call Kangaskhan for help

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

TaurusOxford posted:

Why would they EVER change that back to being one use only?

Because dexnav.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Zore posted:

Eevee can call Espeon for Help during the day and Umbreon at night
:perfect:

That is actually great, gently caress happiness evos.

Blaine the Train
Aug 18, 2006
Choo choo, pardner.

Zore posted:

Also, vindication on Comatose

Oh drat, it can't be put to sleep either?! That's really neat. I can see Wake-Up Slap being a problem for Komala, but Hex is ghost-type so that's a non issue. I assume it can still be confused?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Zore posted:

Makes sense, she is its mother after all.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Blaine the Train posted:

Oh drat, it can't be put to sleep either?! That's really neat. I can see Wake-Up Slap being a problem for Komala, but Hex is ghost-type so that's a non issue. I assume it can still be confused?

Yeah, secondary status effects aren't blocked by the permanent ones.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Zurai posted:

I haven't heard any reports of "pokemon must be alone to catch" changing, so if you're not hunting for a hidden ability that announces itself (like a Snow Warning Vulpix) you just have to grind it.
Speaking of Vulpix, when does it show up? I need one, they're adorable.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Avalerion posted:

If they got the game legit why not? Not the players business if some store breaks street date, pretty dumb considering some of them will be literal kids. Though people with hacked roms yea those had this coming.

I was wondering about this. Will this affect any legit copies, like if they are street broken or midnight release?

EDIT: Just saw the quoted post. Welp.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Blaziken386 posted:

Island 3, around levels 28-31 if you get one ASAP.

Only in Sun, Moon gets Sandshrew-A

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Blaziken386 posted:

Around level 30-ish, route 14 on the third island. Also Sun-only.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

I was wondering about this. Will this affect any legit copies, like if they are street broken or midnight release?

It's a blanket ban on everything that went online. Doing so nets you a 15 day ban, or a permanent ban from everything online related.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Dr. Fetus posted:

It's a blanket ban on everything that went online. Doing so nets you a 15 day ban, or a permanent ban from everything online related.

If it is indiscriminate towards legit copies, then that is hosed up and lazy.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Unlucky7 posted:

If it is indiscriminate towards legit copies, then that is hosed up and lazy.

Not to get all jivjov but I'm sure Nintendo will unban anyone posthaste when they show them proof of purchase, like a receipt or a shipping email.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

So finally got around to finishing the Yellow BC playthrough I started last month since I was pumped for Sun/Moon. After finishing an entire run with basically almost no grinding, on set mode, with my highest level Pokemon being LV 45, I just have to say: man, the Gen I trainer AI is dumb. (Also, wow, the US only GBC support in Yellow is pretty bad.)

Although I admit I got a special joy out of trolling the Rival on every fight after the first or second by just beating him solely with a Fearow with Double Team (yeah, I know, it's broken, but I was running about a dozen levels under the Gym leaders at least for the entire last half of the game) since he always leads with something easy to just set up stat boosts on. Seriously, the Sandslash knows Poison Sting during the final fight when it's level 61. Lance was so much harder, with his Dragonite's Hyper Beam/Thunder/Blizzard/Fire Blast set just one shotting almost my entire team before I could take it down.

My one regret for picking Yellow to play is no Missingno. I know Nintendo is just going to reject it from PokeBank and plenty of people are going to try, but I still have the inexplicable urge to do it. Although I did help myself to the Mew glitch just to say I'd done it once. (Supposedly you can do Mew Glitch using a transformed Ditto to get one of the variant Missingno (fossil/ghost) safely in Yellow, but that both requires a 'mon with a special of 182-184 which I would need to grind to, and I'm still not sure how to get off Cinnabar island back to the right trainer since the only Dittoes are in Pokemon Mansion/Unknown Dungeon and Surf requires the start menu which is disabled in Mew Glitch.)

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Sorry if it's been said and I missed it, but is the DexNav returning in SuMo?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Zore posted:

:tinfoil: what

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

gourdcaptain posted:

My one regret for picking Yellow to play is no Missingno. I know Nintendo is just going to reject it from PokeBank and plenty of people are going to try, but I still have the inexplicable urge to do it. Although I did help myself to the Mew glitch just to say I'd done it once. (Supposedly you can do Mew Glitch using a transformed Ditto to get one of the variant Missingno (fossil/ghost) safely in Yellow, but that both requires a 'mon with a special of 182-184 which I would need to grind to, and I'm still not sure how to get off Cinnabar island back to the right trainer since the only Dittoes are in Pokemon Mansion/Unknown Dungeon and Surf requires the start menu which is disabled in Mew Glitch.)
Seems like you can't do it, then - only reason you can use Ditto in RB is because you can Fly and then walk to that route with Dittos on it, 13 or whatever it is.

Maybe you can trigger the glitch by Digging out of Pokemon Mansion? That's all I can think of, if there's a conveniently placed Burglar there.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Reik posted:

Sorry if it's been said and I missed it, but is the DexNav returning in SuMo?

Nope, it's gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

gourdcaptain posted:

Although I did help myself to the Mew glitch just to say I'd done it once.
Fun fact: both the slowpoke trainer by Bill's house and one of the gym trainers in cerulean are able to spawn a Mew. So I got two of the things.

Zore posted:

Island 3, around levels 28-31 if you get one ASAP.

Only in Sun, Moon gets Sandshrew-A

Pakled posted:

Around level 30-ish, route 14 on the third island. Also Sun-only.
So, if I want a Vulpix, I'd have to wait until most of my team is at their final evolution.
...Dammit. Guess I'll poke around in the trading thread and see if anyone's willing to toss over one with the Hidden Ability so I can breed one early on.