Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

UmOk posted:

It's actually creepy as gently caress that an almost 40 Ford is getting barely legal girls drunk and convincing them to sleep with them.

I would agree with you if that's at all how it was described by Fisher herself. I think the creepier thing is describing a human being as a "barely legal girl". A 34 year old man and a 19 year old woman having consensual sex is not intrinsically immoral. It certainly can be, and no one should minimize the frequency and seriousness of sexual assault, but that's not what this was, according to the only person qualified to describe it as such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Jewmanji posted:

I would agree with you if that's at all how it was described by Fisher herself. I think the creepier thing is describing a human being as a "barely legal girl". A 34 year old man and a 19 year old woman having consensual sex is not intrinsically immoral. It certainly can be, and no one should minimize the frequency and seriousness of sexual assault, but that's not what this was, according to the only person qualified to describe it as such.

Even creepier than that is defending Fords Trumpish behavior.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Before this argument even gets started, don't have it here.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Phi230 posted:

TFA is good, and I'm tired of contrarian nerds going around w/ that argument

nobody gives a gently caress

Counterpoint TFA is garbage.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Halloween Jack posted:

The fact that Anakin built C3PO as a companion, not a slave, is an important part of establishing his character.

Didn't he build 3PO to help his mom around the house? So he built him to serve? Be a slave to a slave?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Phi230 posted:

TFA is good, and I'm tired of contrarian nerds going around w/ that argument

nobody gives a gently caress

Elfgames posted:

Counterpoint TFA is garbage.

The truth might be somewhere in the middle.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

thrawn527 posted:

Didn't he build 3PO to help his mom around the house? So he built him to serve? Be a slave to a slave?
Threepio's first words are "I am C-3PO, Human Cyborg Relations. How may I serve you?" But he doesn't perform any labour, or wait on the other characters--Anakin leaves him with an apology for not finishing him, a promise that his mom won't sell him (ooh, problematic), and "You've been a great pal!"

Although it's appropriate that a Christ figure would engineer "a slave to slaves."

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Halloween Jack posted:

Threepio's first words are "I am C-3PO, Human Cyborg Relations. How may I serve you?" But he doesn't perform any labour, or wait on the other characters--Anakin leaves him with an apology for not finishing him, a promise that his mom won't sell him (ooh, problematic), and "You've been a great pal!"

Although it's appropriate that a Christ figure would engineer "a slave to slaves."

Sure, he never actually does any labour, because a protocol droid is an awful choice for helping around the house. But that was the intention of the 8 year old kid.

In other words, kids are dumb. Even ones who can create super advanced robots.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Or it was more that he was called a protocol droid in the OT and Lucas felt compelled to shoe horn Him into the pt with a history to anakin and that's why it doesn't quite line up.

There are a few instances of ot square legs being forced into pt round holes.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Anakin building C3PO is a truly terrible idea for a whole lot of reasons.

But the one that personally burns the most is that I always loved the idea that R2 and 3PO had been odd-couple companions for thousands of years and had so many adventures that the Skywalkers were but blips in their history. And after Jedi they'd move on to new adventures with new folks and have thousands more years of adventures.

Oh well, I'll always have my old trippy Moebius-inspired Droids comics... :smith:

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
How is it that the Resistance didn't know about Starkiller Base until after it blew up five Republic worlds? What happened to that famous Bothan spynet? How could the First Order conceal such a massive construction project from the entire galaxy?

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Kurzon posted:

How is it that the Resistance didn't know about Starkiller Base until after it blew up five Republic worlds? What happened to that famous Bothan spynet? How could the First Order conceal such a massive construction project from the entire galaxy?

So many of them died in RotJ that the rest of them said "gently caress this spy poo poo, its too dangerous." Then they became farmers or something.

Alternatively, all of them died in RotJ. When Mon Mothma said "many" she was downplaying the genocide.

e: downloading instead of downplaying, thanks autocorrect.

Godlessdonut fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 18, 2016

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Manny Bothans was one man, and he is dead.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Do you have any idea what's going on in all parts of space at this moment? It's quite big.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

feedmyleg posted:

But the one that personally burns the most is that I always loved the idea that R2 and 3PO had been odd-couple companions for thousands of years and had so many adventures that the Skywalkers were but blips in their history. And after Jedi they'd move on to new adventures with new folks and have thousands more years of adventures.

Oh well, I'll always have my old trippy Moebius-inspired Droids comics... :smith:

RIP your headcanon

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Anakin built a protocol droid for help with translating frustrating emotions

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Hopefully episode 8 opens with a grisly scene where Luke chops R2 into scraps for telling people where he is and there's one final sad beep as his red lamp dims out.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Zeris posted:

Anakin built a protocol droid for help with translating frustrating emotions

I mean, R2 and Three-pio do hate sand. It's coarse and irritating and it gets everywhere.

(For real though can you imagine if C3-P0 had said that in ANH while in the desert?)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

If the sand line had been in ANH, everyone would agree that it's a classic.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

ungulateman posted:

I mean, R2 and Three-pio do hate sand. It's coarse and irritating and it gets everywhere.

(For real though can you imagine if C3-P0 had said that in ANH while in the desert?)

I hate Lucas so much for not including this in the Special Editions. The amount of rage it would cause some people would be beautiful.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
It's cause droids are people you fucks ever been to the beach? Sand is itchy.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

Honestly, I would have liked it much better if C3PO had just been a protocol droid on Amedala's ship and Anakin had built R2-D2.

It works better logically since of course a leader and diplomat would have a protocol droid, and he spends the rest of the trilogy hanging out with Padme anyway. And when you work in a junkyard fixing up scrap why wouldn't you build a utility droid like R2? Not to mention that being jury-rigged together by a child prodigy would explain R2's unusually strong personality and endless gadgets.

Thematically it flows better too since you have Leia inheriting her mother's droid and legacy while Luke does the same with his father.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Honestly, I would have liked it much better if the Millennium Falcon would have just been in the possession of Han Solo.

It works better logically because why the poo poo would the fastest ship in the universe just be rotting in some junk yard?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

UmOk posted:

Honestly, I would have liked it much better if the Millennium Falcon would have just been in the possession of Han Solo.

It works better logically because why the poo poo would the fastest ship in the universe just be rotting in some junk yard?

b/c its not really the fastest ship

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Has there been any word at all on Rogue One tickets going on sale? We got TFA tickets in October...and here we are with a month to go and nothing for Rogue One :(

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Canemacar posted:

Honestly, I would have liked it much better if C3PO had just been a protocol droid on Amedala's ship and Anakin had built R2-D2.

It works better logically since of course a leader and diplomat would have a protocol droid, and he spends the rest of the trilogy hanging out with Padme anyway. And when you work in a junkyard fixing up scrap why wouldn't you build a utility droid like R2? Not to mention that being jury-rigged together by a child prodigy would explain R2's unusually strong personality and endless gadgets.

Thematically it flows better too since you have Leia inheriting her mother's droid and legacy while Luke does the same with his father.
The fact that prissy high-falutin' Threepio was built from scrap in a junkyard by a slave while his uncouth working class companion belonged to royalty is one of the great understated jokes of the PT though.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

R2 on Amidala's ship works, because we got the scene where her underling forces her to humbly clean R2, which echoes Leia kneeling down to give R2 the Death Star plans in ANH.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Phi230 posted:

b/c its not really the fastest ship

My bad. What I meant was the legendary ship that was instrumental in the downfall of the First Galactic Empire.

Think you might be missing the point here.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

jivjov posted:

Has there been any word at all on Rogue One tickets going on sale? We got TFA tickets in October...and here we are with a month to go and nothing for Rogue One :(

Disney and Nintendo made an agreement so that all Rogue One tickets are packaged inside NES Classics. :cripes:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

feedmyleg posted:

I thought Lucas said those were still "canon" (not that canon matters ever), it's just that C3-PO got blowed up somewhere and rebuilt by Anakin.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Some y'all fuckin obsessed with echo and rhyme even when it's painfully shoehorned in.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

rear end Catchcum posted:

Some y'all fuckin obsessed with echo and rhyme even when it's painfully shoehorned in.

You shouldn't talk about your posts in the third person like that.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Rudd you for real right now drat.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Yes, C-3PO appearing out of nowhere is much more thematically interesting than an enslaved child building a sentient being that is itself treated like a slave by the strictures of a corrupt society, in much the same way Anakin's own father created him out of thin air, only for him to spend his entire life a slave. That's much more boring.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
'Anakin's own father' is sorta misleading because Sheev being responsible for Anakin's birth is vaguely alluded to at best.

On the other hand, the connection you've made works perfectly for Darth Vader - his 'birth' is even intercut with Luke and Leia's in ROTS.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

UmOk posted:

My bad. What I meant was the legendary ship that was instrumental in the downfall of the First Galactic Empire.

The Millenium Falcon wasn't that either.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

It's cause droids are people you fucks ever been to the beach? Sand is itchy.

I would describe it as course and rough and irritating. And it gets everywhere.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Schwarzwald posted:

The Millenium Falcon wasn't that either.

Yeah you're right. My bad. I though it was there helping destroy the first Death Star. And for some reason I thought it lead the charge against the second. And was the ship that actually destroyed it. Oops.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Half-rhymes exist, even though no one told Lucas that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

UmOk posted:

Yeah you're right. My bad. I though it was there helping destroy the first Death Star. And for some reason I thought it lead the charge against the second. And was the ship that actually destroyed it. Oops.

It remained the personal property of Han, who apparently according to TFA proceeded to lose it just as readily as he had gained it so its not like the owner gave a drat, and as far as ships go it was never super impressive compounded by fact that by the time of TFA is also 40-60 years out of date. It's a piece of junk.

• Locked thread