Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Tarble needs to go Super Saiyan. And also Tarble's blobwife needs to go Super Blobwife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Tarble and Raditz should fuse

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
do not get where this "super saiyan 3 is useless" thing comes from

yeah it has huge drawbacks but if it wasn't for that both gotenks and goku would have been straight up murdered by Buu?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
If it doesn't win a fight it's useless as fanboys are dumb.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Zore posted:

tail circumcision is a touchy subject okay

Naw this was covered in the movie they never released
Where bulma and chi chi have to stop their little sweet babies from destroying society as we know it.

It involved a hella lotta car driving and multiple macgyvered up sword launchers

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

sassassin posted:

Name 30 guys that could beat up Raditz (movies don't count).

Too easy.
Freaking Cui was stronger than Raditz. Pui Pui was stronger than Raditz. Freeza's entire army in in Resurrection F, all of them were stronger than Raditz.

TheKingofSprings posted:

SS2 is barely a change and SS3 looks like a Neanderthal on everyone but Gotenks, fight me

E: SSJ could have had the lightning effect from the start and nothing would change as long as you made Gohan that preposterously strong in base

SSJ2 was a huge change when Gohan used against Cell
Not at all afterwards though.

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 16, 2016

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Kelp Plankton posted:

Need Tarbles and Zamusa to fuse.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

...Has King Vegeta ever been playable/fightable in a DBZ game? Has he gotten less love than Appule and Freeza Soldier #s 24-43?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Kelp Plankton posted:

There should be a timeline where Raditz and Tarble switch places with Goku and Vegeta. Nappa is still Nappa though.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Spiritus Nox posted:

...Has King Vegeta ever been playable/fightable in a DBZ game? Has he gotten less love than Appule and Freeza Soldier #s 24-43?

He was in Budokai Tenkaichi 3 and I think 2 as well

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

do not get where this "super saiyan 3 is useless" thing comes from

yeah it has huge drawbacks but if it wasn't for that both gotenks and goku would have been straight up murdered by Buu?

Super Saiyan 3 is the modern equivalent of the high-power form that Trunks used. It has such a huge drawback that using it in battle for anything but a short burst is going to be trivially exploited by a smart foe. It drains energy so fast that they just have to outlast you and if you're fighting someone who needs to go Super Saiyan 3 they're probably capable of doing that. Once they do you're drained of energy/fusion time/whatever and promptly are screwed.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

SS3's coolest moment was the part of the Budokai 2 opening where Goku's beating the poo poo out of Kid Buu and also nature.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Also the simple fact of the matter is that, on screen, SSJ3 never allows our heroes to do much more than just tread water with their opponents, which by definition makes it way less impressive than SSJ1, 2, or even just the Kaioken, which all contriubted to decisive blows or outright finishers against major villains.

Flippinlikebirds
Feb 2, 2007
I'm an ideas man Michael. I think I proved that with Fuck Mountain.

Augus posted:

Freeza's entire army in in Resurrection F, all of them were stronger than Raditz.

That can't be right. Roshi beat a lot of those guys and he isn't anywhere close to Raditz's level.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Spiritus Nox posted:

Also the simple fact of the matter is that, on screen, SSJ3 never allows our heroes to do much more than just tread water with their opponents, which by definition makes it way less impressive than SSJ1, 2, or even just the Kaioken, which all contriubted to decisive blows or outright finishers against major villains.

Yeah but that's really more the problem of Buu outclassing everyone and having a near limitless well of ki than anything actually wrong with super saiyan 3, which hypothetically would work fine in ending a fight really quickly

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Well it got to be part of a cool finishing blow in Wrath of the Dragon at least. :shobon:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

Yeah but that's really more the problem of Buu outclassing everyone and having a near limitless well of ki than anything actually wrong with super saiyan 3, which hypothetically would work fine in ending a fight really quickly

You're talking about power levels, I'm talking about dramatic framing. It's not about how strong SSJ3 is, it's about whether or not it does anything particularly cool on screen.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Spiritus Nox posted:

You're talking about power levels, I'm talking about dramatic framing. It's not about how strong SSJ3 is, it's about whether or not it does anything particularly cool on screen.

Eh it's basically the same argument, just it's seen as more acceptable for some dumb reason.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CharlestheHammer posted:

Eh it's basically the same argument, just it's seen as more acceptable for some dumb reason.

It absolutely isn't though?

It's all about the narrative. In the narrative, the coolest fight we get out of SSJ3, it's shining moment, is Goku fighting Fat Buu. Which does not rank up near as high as Kaioken's first fight, SSJs or SSJ2s.

It does fare better than Super Trunks and Super Vegeta though in that its worst showing isn't in that same fight.

Really the problem with SSJ3 narratively isn't that it ever actually fails, just that it never amounts to anything. It's just a new thing Goku can do that Gotenks picks up on but is largely made irrelevant by Gohan and Vegito. It's just A Thing Goku Can Do To Get Stronger In A Vague Way.

Which as Battle of Gods showed us, Vegeta could surpass as just a SSJ2 if he was given a reason to.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
the buu saga was the original end of dragonball and in it, the heroes could finally not beat the Big Bad by simply powering up into a new form like with every other Big Bad before. Buu could take everything SSJ3 could dish out... It was a deliberate twist by Toriyama

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Burkion posted:

It absolutely isn't though?

It's all about the narrative. In the narrative, the coolest fight we get out of SSJ3, it's shining moment, is Goku fighting Fat Buu. Which does not rank up near as high as Kaioken's first fight, SSJs or SSJ2s.

It does fare better than Super Trunks and Super Vegeta though in that its worst showing isn't in that same fight.

Really the problem with SSJ3 narratively isn't that it ever actually fails, just that it never amounts to anything. It's just a new thing Goku can do that Gotenks picks up on but is largely made irrelevant by Gohan and Vegito. It's just A Thing Goku Can Do To Get Stronger In A Vague Way.

Which as Battle of Gods showed us, Vegeta could surpass as just a SSJ2 if he was given a reason to.

Vegito doesn't accomplish poo poo either but weirdly no one cares.

Also SS3 vs kid Buu was a fun fight.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Zzulu posted:

the buu saga was the original end of dragonball and in it, the heroes could finally not beat the Big Bad by simply powering up into a new form like with every other Big Bad before. Buu could take everything SSJ3 could dish out... It was a deliberate twist by Toriyama

I don't disagree about the likely intent, but this doesn't entirely work when Vegito, by all appearances, absolutely could simply vaporize Buu at his strongest and simply chose not to in order to save the absorbees, and then got defused basically by authorial fiat.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Zzulu posted:

the cell saga was the original end of dragonball and in it, goku died and gohan became the hero we all deserved

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Everyone knows the saga was suppose to end with Raditz, jeez.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Burkion posted:

It's kind of interesting looking back to consider that SSJ2 wasn't even given a name or considered a new form until SSJ3 was introduced when Goku gives that big speech to Fat Buu. IIRC SSJ2 was originally just considered the full-power version of Gohan's SSJ1 transformation in guidebooks and such at the time when this was all new material, and not an actual new form in of itself.

I think that idea has been kind of lost with the billion video games and such since then that depict the Cell Saga and immediately identify it as "Super Saiyan 2 Gohan" or something. It's kind of similar to how the phrase "Majin Vegeta" never actually appears in the manga, and I don't think it does in the anime either, but is all over the video games.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Buu was the only arc that had over a decade-long gap afterwards before any new canon material was added to the series, unless you were watching the series on Toonami in which case every arc was the last one.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Augus posted:

Buu was the only arc that had over a decade-long gap afterwards before any new canon material was added to the series, unless you were watching the series on Toonami in which case every arc was the last one.

DBZ actually ended when Goku landed on Namek.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Rhonne posted:

He beat Raccome and all plot threads were resolved,

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rhonne posted:

Nah it ended after the Garlic Jr Saga

Because it never left the Garlic Jr Saga

loving reruns

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

ANIME THEORY: NAPPA ACTUALLY KILLED GOKU AND THE REST OF THE SERIES IS HIS DYING DREAM

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ss3 made a lot of sense when goku was dead and had infinite ki or w/e

it's kinda funny that he'd probably have mopped the floor with kid buu if he hadn't been wished back already. he even says he would have won if he hadn't stalled and wasted all his energy to let vegeta have a turn at fighting buu

Spiritus Nox posted:

ANIME THEORY: NAPPA ACTUALLY KILLED GOKU AND THE REST OF THE SERIES IS HIS DYING DREAM

this but raditz

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

DBZ ended at the end of the Emperor Pilaf Saga. :colbert:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Zedd posted:

DBZ ended at the end of the Emperor Pilaf Saga. :colbert:

That's still happening.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Goku, Vegeta, and Bulma will return to the past only to find that Pilaf has finally taken over the world.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Pilaf was Garlic Jr. all along.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Pilaf is actually Garlic Sr.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Vegito doesn't accomplish poo poo either but weirdly no one cares.
He effectively defeats Super Buu.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, Vegito spends several episodes mocking and humiliating Buu at his absolute strongest and never once even looks like he's really trying. Just because he purposely threw the fight so that he could get absorbed and save his buddies doesn't mean the viewer isn't likely to be utterly convinced of his superiority by the end. It's not like SSJ3 Goku and Gotenks, who visibly never look much better than even with their opponents and only in retrospect get to say "If I could just hold that a little longer/better I could have maybe squeaked out a win if I was lucky."

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Vegito's most important actions were holding his own in battle while transformed into a Malteaser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Rationalize it how you want.

• Locked thread