Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Jorghnassen posted:

So Kara Danvers, not as Supergirl, hangs out as Kara Danvers in an alien bar and people think she's an alien? Enough to buy her poisonous to human drinks?

Keeping her identity a secret hardly seems to be a priority. I saw backstage photos from the DEO set and there was a locker with "K. Danvers"...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Keeping her identity a secret hardly seems to be a priority. I saw backstage photos from the DEO set and there was a locker with "K. Danvers"...

Plus, basically everyone in her life is some sort of amazing badass, or is one degree of separation away from amazing badasses, so it's not like that whole "I'm protecting the people I love" excuse really holds water either. Like, basically the only people in the world that don't know she's Supergirl are the Luthors and Snapper (because, let's be real here, Cat totally loving knows she Supergirl, she's just been angling for Kara to confirm it for her).

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
It would be interesting to have an entire episode set in the off-worlders bar. Like an Agatha Christie murder mystery that needs to be solved before anyone is allowed to leave.

Norwegian Rudo posted:

I was hoping Mon-El would argue about the absurdity (and split personality) of Supergirl holding a menial, subservient and low-paying day job. There are never alien attacks or people who need help during KatCo office hours?! Why isn't Kara an employee of the DEO, it would make things so much easier for everyone if she didn't need to zip back and forth between DEO HQ and KatCo and make excuses for abrupt disappearances.

Also :wtf: Winn, you can't be employed by the DEO and also run your own high-tech vigilante operation! So many conflicts of interest - and imagine the PR shitstorm if anyone ever finds out.

ps how could the same guy who designed Supergirl's brightly coloured costume with a cape, also devise Guardian's bland suit of armour. Throw a little colour and some pizzazz in there dude!

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Nov 16, 2016

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Binary Logic posted:

ps how could the same guy who designed Supergirl's brightly coloured costume with a cape, also devise Guardian's bland suit of armour. Throw a little colour and some pizzazz in there dude!
HE SAID IT WASN'T READY YET OK

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Oracle posted:

HE SAID IT WASN'T READY YET OK

He also said it wasn't ready in a way that would get Jimmy killed. I don't think "I haven't had time to spray the go-faster stripes on it" counts.

I've also rewatched the scenes with Alex a couple of times, and man, Chyler Leigh killed it in this episode. The coming out scene in particular was great in how her voice caught as she was trying to articulate things. I haven't had that specific type of conversation, but I've certainly had ones where you're nervous about how the other party will react and feel like there's a lot at stake, and that's exactly how I end up sounding in those situations.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Binary Logic posted:

I was hoping Mon-El would argue about the absurdity (and split personality) of Supergirl holding a menial, subservient and low-paying day job. There are never alien attacks or people who need help during KatCo office hours?! Why isn't Kara an employee of the DEO, it would make things so much easier for everyone if she didn't need to zip back and forth between DEO HQ and KatCo and make excuses for abrupt disappearances.

Yeah, I get that the day job cover story is deep in Superman's DNA, so they're not going to change it. But that's definitely a superhero convention that goes stagnant pretty quick. I mean, Peter Parker works because being Spider-Man doesn't pay. But the DEO is a well-funded black ops division. Get your poo poo in order, J'onzz.

I have similar problems with Flash. I don't see how STAR Labs is funded these days, but it seems like the Flash should have a different work arrangement than being a secret-hero who gets $0 for it, and a forensics tech. There's already a metahuman investigator officially on the city payroll, so it's not like the existence of metahumans is a secret.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

They covered that in the beginning of season 2, Thawne-Wells was a rich tech mogul and left his wealth to Barry in an endowment or something to keep STAR Labs running.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
It works a lot better with Power Girl and her running Starr Enterprises and being in charge. I get that they were deliberately trying to capture some of the feel of Superman of course, but it's a pretty outdated notion in general - having secret identities.

All things considered, Kara's life wouldn't really be impacted all that much if she just gave up on a secret identity. Everyone important to her knows now anyway. I realize that a lot of it is trying for some sense of normalcy in life but overall just being Kara Danvers, Supergirl wouldn't really change her life.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

McSpanky posted:

They covered that in the beginning of season 2, Thawne-Wells was a rich tech mogul and left his wealth to Barry in an endowment or something to keep STAR Labs running.

Oh, right. Yeah, you'd think that would have greater implications for the character's lives. STAR Labs is a huge enterprise, with a board of directors and what-not. If Elon Musk died, confessed to murder in a recorded will, and left all his wealth to some rando to keep running Tesla, that'd probably be discussed a lot more often.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I understand Kara wanting to have a secret identity so she can go see a movie or get a cup of coffee, and so that her friends and family aren't in extra danger of getting kidnapped to get to Supergirl.

But that secret identity really should be "Kara Danvers, DEO accountant". Kara having to lie to her boss about stuff is just a nuisance, and now that Wynn works for the DEO and James is a superhero, there's so little reason to cut back to the CatCo offices

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
She's a reporter now because this show is pretty much a rule 63 Superman story. Down to them replicating the Luthor dynamic from Smallville of all places with Lena and her mother instead of Lex and his dad.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

She's a reporter now because this show is pretty much a rule 63 Superman story. Down to them replicating the Luthor dynamic from Smallville of all places with Lena and her mother instead of Lex and his dad.

Not gonna lie, this is really making me wish that they get Michael Rosenbaum and John Glover back in cameos as Lex and Lionel Luthor at some point on the show. I mean, they've brought back Dean Cain, Brandon Routh, Mark Hamill and John Wesley Shipp, so Bertlanti isn't adverse to bringing back old DC TV stars.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

nine-gear crow posted:

Not gonna lie, this is really making me wish that they get Michael Rosenbaum and John Glover back in cameos as Lex and Lionel Luthor at some point on the show. I mean, they've brought back Dean Cain, Brandon Routh, Mark Hamill and John Wesley Shipp, so Bertlanti isn't adverse to bringing back old DC TV stars.

We'd end up with radioactive Lana

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I mean, seriously, we're about 2 episodes from Kara and Lena falling out over SECRETS! and presumably Helen Slater telling her not to trust that sneaky Luthor girl while she fixes a tractor.

Tolstoi
Apr 3, 2001

Azhais posted:

We'd end up with radioactive Lana

Don't you go giving them any ideas now that that Beauty and the Beast show is closing down.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
In a shocking twist, Kreuk guest-stars, but as Chun-Li.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tolstoi posted:

Don't you go giving them any ideas now that that Beauty and the Beast show is closing down.

I thought that show was canceled years ago? :confused:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Smallvile is toxic. If they didn't get Welling, who really loving wanted the gig, they won't go after anyone else.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Honestly, this 2nd season feels more like the first season of The FLash. Its so upbeat and silver agey. Ugh it's just nice to watch something that is not depressing.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Since when did Welling want the job? I thought he hated the idea of being Superman and wouldn't even wear the suit in the Smallville finale.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That was then. Now he has no career. He was campaigning on twitter for the gig, he kept posting gym pics wearing an S shirt and saying "getting ready to suit up!"

He deleted most if them the day Tiny Clark was cast.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
That's what happens when you contemptuously throw away the biggest role on the planet.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DoctorWhat posted:

That's what happens when you contemptuously throw away the biggest role on the planet.

He and Durance met with Zack Snyder about the possibility of making the jump to film. Clearly we can assume Welling was a huge oval office about actually putting on the suit.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

DoctorWhat posted:

He didn't want the roll initially at all because he thought it'd ruin his career. Being a giant dick about it probably did more harm than the role. Their second choice was Jensen Ackles, but I'm just as happy he ended up on supernatural.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
And funny to think Ackles was going to be a recurring character on Smallville until he landed Supernatural and they did an abrupt faceturn with the character and killed him off between seasons. Best possible career move for that dude.

Those photos of Welling in the gym were pretty awesome, though. Dude bulked the gently caress up and I'd like to see him do something like Superman, even just a cameo. He wasn't all that bad of an actor on episodes where they gave him poo poo to do (Red K, body swap, etc).

Plus we already got Smallville Supergirl on the show so maybe that's all we need from those alumni.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

I thought that show was canceled years ago? :confused:

Nope, the final episode aired like 6 weeks ago.(It is cancelled though. 3 years later than anyone expected because the CW employ some kind of dark magic in their accounting department to make poo poo like that turn a profit)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mortanis posted:

And funny to think Ackles was going to be a recurring character on Smallville until he landed Supernatural and they did an abrupt faceturn with the character and killed him off between seasons. Best possible career move for that dude.

Those photos of Welling in the gym were pretty awesome, though. Dude bulked the gently caress up and I'd like to see him do something like Superman, even just a cameo. He wasn't all that bad of an actor on episodes where they gave him poo poo to do (Red K, body swap, etc).

Plus we already got Smallville Supergirl on the show so maybe that's all we need from those alumni.

Ackles was a recurring on Smallville for all of season 4.

And Welling was a huge rear end on and off the set. There was a goon who worked as a PA on Smallville and told stories of how much everyone hated him and what a jackwagon he was to his costars and fans. He deserves his lack of a career.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Rhyno posted:

And Welling was a huge rear end on and off the set. There was a goon who worked as a PA on Smallville and told stories of how much everyone hated him and what a jackwagon he was to his costars and fans. He deserves his lack of a career.

Please tell me these can be found somewhere.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Xealot posted:

Oh, right. Yeah, you'd think that would have greater implications for the character's lives. STAR Labs is a huge enterprise, with a board of directors and what-not. If Elon Musk died, confessed to murder in a recorded will, and left all his wealth to some rando to keep running Tesla, that'd probably be discussed a lot more often.
I don't think it is in the Flash's universe. I think the company behind it basically folded when the particle accelerator exploded and Flash 'n Friends are literally all that's left of the company, and they just own the building thanks to Thawne-Wells. If there's supposed to be more to STAR Labs than that one husk of a building and two employees they've done a horrible job of showing it.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Guy Goodbody posted:

I understand Kara wanting to have a secret identity so she can go see a movie or get a cup of coffee, and so that her friends and family aren't in extra danger of getting kidnapped to get to Supergirl.

But that secret identity really should be "Kara Danvers, DEO accountant". Kara having to lie to her boss about stuff is just a nuisance, and now that Wynn works for the DEO and James is a superhero, there's so little reason to cut back to the CatCo offices
Nah, being a cub reporter means if she's in the office regularly she's doing it wrong. She's supposed to be out and about, chasing leads and gathering info for the Next Big Story(tm). It also gives her an excuse to show up out of nowhere and be nosy at crime scenes and such while still incognito, something she couldn't do as Kara Danvers, nepotism accountant for the DEO (which is supposed to be a secret organization anyway, isn't it? I mean what's her face was pretending to be an FBI agent not two episodes ago).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

kingcom posted:

Please tell me these can be found somewhere.

If memory serves he almost lost his job over it and went through and deleted every post he'd made in that thread. This would be circa 2007 or so, I don't know if the Smallville threads would be in the archives or not.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Rhyno posted:

Drunk Kara might rival ice cream Kara for best Kara overall.

Where does Red Kryptonite Kara fit into all of this?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tree Dude posted:

Where does Red Kryptonite Kara fit into all of this?

She's the one filming it.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice

Rhyno posted:

Right. My point was he was slated to return in S5 and onward until he died off screen and moved to a better show.

I remember that post. Welling stayed in his trailer gaming unless coerced, Kruek was nice and quiet but always reading, and I think Rosenbaum was always joking with the crew. It painted Welling as a huge spoiled man baby.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Oracle posted:

Nah, being a cub reporter means if she's in the office regularly she's doing it wrong. She's supposed to be out and about, chasing leads and gathering info for the Next Big Story(tm). It also gives her an excuse to show up out of nowhere and be nosy at crime scenes and such while still incognito, something she couldn't do as Kara Danvers, nepotism accountant for the DEO (which is supposed to be a secret organization anyway, isn't it? I mean what's her face was pretending to be an FBI agent not two episodes ago).

Um, Supergirl could show up out of nowhere and be nosy at crime scenes and such. No excuse needed.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
The stuff with Alex was hard to watch, because it was so true.
That was great writing and even better acting. Her looking back over her life and realizing she'd had these feelings before but chose to bury them, the fact that she was so confident that now everything would be amazing because she figure it out, the way Maggie looked at her with almost fear not wanting to get in on that newbie action, how Alex immediately fell apart and questioned everything, trying to go back to how it was before but not being able to. It was all so real and it resonated deeply with me.
To be real, she'd go back in the closet for a while, be all hyper-feminine, dating burly dudes, then bust out again after realizing the can no longer keep in.
Or maybe she's bisexual. That's the first thing my wife said.

To be honest, I am invested in her story more than anything else on the show right now. Because it's the only thing that I can relate to personally. She's treated so much better than Sarah Lance who's sexy times seem to be comic relief more than anything else.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Aleph Null posted:

To be honest, I am invested in her story more than anything else on the show right now. Because it's the only thing that I can relate to personally. She's treated so much better than Sarah Lance who's sexy times seem to be comic relief more than anything else.

I am totally emotionally invested in Alex right now, because you can tell she's CRAZY about Mags, even before she came out, and didn't stop to consider that it was more than being "straight" that kept them from a relationship. Like I said earlier, she got shot down HARD by her very first gal, and just a day or two after the emotional turmoil of coming out. Maggie putting her hand over her mouth in horror as she realized what just happened really sold the loving gut punch. She knows exactly what it's going to do to her, and there's nothing she can do to stop it.

I hope the two of them do end up together since they made an incredibly cute couple really on, but Mags doesn't really owe her anything, and it's gonna get real awkward working with her girl crush. :smith: Still, both Wynn and James sacked up and handled that poo poo like adults, so I'm hopeful this doesn't go any more sideways than it has.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Fuckin Trump Riot posted:

I am totally emotionally invested in Alex right now, because you can tell she's CRAZY about Mags, even before she came out, and didn't stop to consider that it was more than being "straight" that kept them from a relationship. Like I said earlier, she got shot down HARD by her very first gal, and just a day or two after the emotional turmoil of coming out. Maggie putting her hand over her mouth in horror as she realized what just happened really sold the loving gut punch. She knows exactly what it's going to do to her, and there's nothing she can do to stop it.

I hope the two of them do end up together since they made an incredibly cute couple really on, but Mags doesn't really owe her anything, and it's gonna get real awkward working with her girl crush. :smith: Still, both Wynn and James sacked up and handled that poo poo like adults, so I'm hopeful this doesn't go any more sideways than it has.

We're not on CBS anymore so who knows.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Binary Logic posted:

Um, Supergirl could show up out of nowhere and be nosy at crime scenes and such. No excuse needed.

Yeah, I think that's the thing. I'm fine with the traditional explanation of why Clark/Kara have the secret identity it's just that the show has made it pretty unnecessary. Supergirl is embraced by the city and Alex has a badge so any advantages being a reporter give seem moot. And Kara's established this entire circle of family and friends that have everything to do with her alien life and has absolutely no one outside of it.

This is kind of an adverse effect of Cat leaving the show since she supposedly didn't know and Kara clearly deeply valued having her in her life. With her gone its not clear what Kara's getting from CatCo. It doesn't help that the reporter angle came out of nowhere and has gone nowhere in the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I'd be happy if the reporter angle is made out specifically to be a dud . Not everything you try is suited to you and making mistakes is a part of finding out who you are which ties in nicely with Supergirl and her themes. But since Cat called it I can t see it being changed