Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Bernie Sanders is cool

My investigations confirm that he is also good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Thoguh posted:

My investigations confirm that he is also good.

what the hell!!!!!

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Hillary voters believed what she said was true. Trump voters believed what she said was false.

Don't nominate a secretive establishment crony when the established order is total poo poo.

That's my advice.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Bernie was right.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
I teach and administrate at a community college and even being a huge liberal elitist I continually advocate that we expand our certificate and trade education because that's what's needed. We traditionally try our absolute hardest to serve all comers but it's drat well true that our students are coming in woefully underprepared and we just don't have the resources needed to get them up to speed no matter how hard we try. It has to start sooner.

Also I disagree with this cultural inertia that everyone needs a college degree, even though I work at one. That's not true - I believe everyone needs a common base of education and it should be well-rounded, but the trades are important too. That gets a lot of pushback from some faculty about how a liberal arts degree is the end-all, be-all, but it's just not.

Education reform is extremely important because an educated voting base results in less people willing to swallow total bullshit like they did this election. It's not going to fix all the problems but I should not be getting students who are barely literate.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Strep Vote posted:

Hillary voters believed what she said was true. Trump voters believed what she said was false.

Don't nominate a secretive establishment crony when the established order is total poo poo.

That's my advice.

yup

LegionAreI posted:

I teach and administrate at a community college and even being a huge liberal elitist I continually advocate that we expand our certificate and trade education because that's what's needed. We traditionally try our absolute hardest to serve all comers but it's drat well true that our students are coming in woefully underprepared and we just don't have the resources needed to get them up to speed no matter how hard we try. It has to start sooner.

Also I disagree with this cultural inertia that everyone needs a college degree, even though I work at one. That's not true - I believe everyone needs a common base of education and it should be well-rounded, but the trades are important too. That gets a lot of pushback from some faculty about how a liberal arts degree is the end-all, be-all, but it's just not.

Education reform is extremely important because an educated voting base results in less people willing to swallow total bullshit like they did this election. It's not going to fix all the problems but I should not be getting students who are barely literate.

yup

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

i also agree

and i also think berni was right

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Strep Vote posted:

Bernie was right.

Mods??!!?!?

Amniotic
Jan 23, 2008

Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.

LegionAreI posted:

As has been discussed in there previously, the liberal arts model of education is fine, but it needs to be fixed at the high school level and earlier. High school education has devolved into fact lists (even more so at the AP level, where the stuff they learn is just garbage).

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
People who voted for Trump took him seriously but not literally, people who voted against Trump took him literally but not seriously.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Gringostar posted:

:yeah:

being able to test education theory in different settings to find out what works best for various socioeconomic groups in various locations throughout the US is a legit good thing so we can apply those things to where they would do the most good

education is one of those things where there will be no "one answer" across the US, and what works in poor inner city classrooms probably won't work in poor rural areas

Sadly charter schools are not really that unless their teaching methods are discussed and dissected like what's normally done with scientific research. They're not, so the whole laboratories thing is bullshit for the most part.

crazy cloud posted:

Yeah this is what I meant by literacy, in the social n civic sense, thx u nonces who assumed I meant that STEM majors can't read

I was a STEM major and have a STEM degree and I think we can all agree I can read and write just fine n it's my broke brain that's the issue

Most STEM majors probably couldn't critically analyze a block of text if their lives depended on it though. Not that it's their fault, but the curriculum just doesn't give a poo poo about it so the students don't get that unless they seek it out themselves. At least that's my experience as a recent Engineering grad. It's also why there's a strong number of them are Libertarians who follow supply side economics.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
On the subject of college when some people say "we need more students in STEM" sometimes they are referring to the fact there are fields that desperately need new blood. Part of the college experience should be helping students figure out what the hell they want to do. Of course I knew plenty of people when I was in college that didn't give a gently caress about what they wanted because they needed to find a good job afterwards to provide for their families.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Xelkelvos posted:

Most STEM majors probably couldn't critically analyze a block of text if their lives depended on it though. Not that it's their fault, but the curriculum just doesn't give a poo poo about it so the students don't get that unless they seek it out themselves. At least that's my experience as a recent Engineering grad. It's also why there's a strong number of them are Libertarians who follow supply side economics.

when people dismiss liberal arts education as useless and then in the same breath lament the death of political engagement and discourse I just ummmmmmmm

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Strep Vote posted:

As did Johnson voters, Stein voters, McMullin voters, people who wrote in Mickey Mouse, and everyone who stayed home.

Amniotic
Jan 23, 2008

Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.

crazy cloud posted:

when people dismiss liberal arts education as useless and then in the same breath lament the death of political engagement and discourse I just ummmmmmmm

It helps even in their own disciplines. Lack of practice in flexible thinking and multiple viewpoints/theoretical frameworks is what makes the bulk of STEM majors crank turning formula pluggers who freeze at first contact with a problem that doesn't obviously fit an algorithm.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

100 degrees Calcium posted:

I'm not politically or economically savvy. Is it really so hard for democrats to platform on helping minorities and address working class concerns?

Well, it depends on the reasons Clinton lost as badly as she did in some of these counties. If it's a Clinton problem, we can fix it. If it's a Trump problem, we can try to counteract that. If it's just that the country is becoming more racially partisan, we could be hosed. If a politician has to say "Blue Lives Matter" to win Ohio and Iowa, it could be a real problem.

My guess is we aren't hosed, though.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

jackofarcades posted:

Well, it depends on the reasons Clinton lost as badly as she did in some of these counties. If it's a Clinton problem, we can fix it. If it's a Trump problem, we can try to counteract that. If it's just that the country is becoming more racially partisan, we could be hosed. If a politician has to say "Blue Lives Matter" to win Ohio and Iowa, it could be a real problem.

My guess is we aren't hosed, though.

I think more people don't give a poo poo about politics than deeply give a poo poo about politics.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

We're already facing the threat of an education bubble, in which there's a glut of degrees for every field and we still don't even have a majority population of degree holders. The average person working in a service job doesn't need an engineering background which would allow them to effectively design a suspension bridge. They're never going to design a suspension bridge. There's not enough demand for bridge engineers (although that could always change with the political economy).

LegionArel hit the nail on the head. We need to focus on a more well rounded education base so that people can become civically literate in all aspects of labor, society, and culture. Not just the arts and not just STEM.

I studied education for a while before switching my major for History, and if I was Education Master General I'd force everyone to take a crash course 2 year history program. That's purely my own personal bias speaking, because most of the stuff you'd study in any field ultimately ends up being trivial without a practical application.

Like, I think the reason we see so many people process politics through pop culture, whether it's liberals comparing Hillary to Game of Thrones or deplorables portraying Trump as the God Emperor of Mankind, is because they lack a sufficient grounding in history. The historical knowledge of the general public is incredibly shallow, and primarily geared towards reinforcing convenient civic narratives. With such a skewed perception of reality, people have little else to interpret the world through than the media they consume or the hobbies they're wrapped up in.

Somebody brought up a few pages ago that STEM students can read too, but literacy is about more than just reading. It means being able to express yourself fully as an individual through the written form. In that sense, the great majority of people are only half-literate.

anyway, tl;dr everybody deserves a well-rounded education, and conditioning people for a particular discipline long before they should have to is myopic

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Got off the phone with a person at the IL dem office. She took down my support for Keith Ellison and said she would pass my comments along to our state's reps on the National Party.

She also gave me the number for getting involved with the party locally. For other Chicagoons, the number for the Cook County Dem Party is 312-263-0575

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Venom Snake posted:

On the subject of college when some people say "we need more students in STEM" sometimes they are referring to the fact there are fields that desperately need new blood. Part of the college experience should be helping students figure out what the hell they want to do. Of course I knew plenty of people when I was in college that didn't give a gently caress about what they wanted because they needed to find a good job afterwards to provide for their families.

I've always thought the "STEM shortage" was a myth pushed by Silicon Valley sociopaths who are mad they they can't pay coders 30k/yr to work for 80 hours a week. Are there any STEM fields that legitimately have a shortage of workers to fill positions?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Let's see if the rest of our Democratic peeps agree with this motion

I have a feeling the last dem meeting involved multiple party heads holding baseball bats like fuckin Negan while explaining that it'd be best to have a unified front in these troubled times.

Really though I have very little doubt DNC leadership is sending constant memos and poo poo to keep infighting at the very least small enough to not get any attention. If the party can take the L and regroup quickly it'll totally hamstring the 'lol look the democrats are in chaos while the republicans are uniting' narrative and that's really important to do.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

crazy cloud posted:

for having a country w literate citizens

I heard the US education system was shite but I didn't realise you needed a college level education to learn your letters

Missingnoleader
Mar 10, 2014

As a history major, any of the more analytical or advanced history classes like Middle Eastern History or Sports History end up involving Karl Marx. Of course History courses definitely teach you more empathy then the required race relations class because they give you all sides of the story. While its out of date to say that history is cyclical, you can't ignore some patterns. Like how America's been screwing around in the middle east and latin america forever.

But then again my Catholic High School had us learning runes in English and watching Star Trek in religion so I'm not the typical case. (No Child Left Behind pretty much put pressure on the principal of my middle school to not fail too many people or else he would be fired.)

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Amniotic posted:

It helps even in their own disciplines. Lack of practice in flexible thinking and multiple viewpoints/theoretical frameworks is what makes the bulk of STEM majors crank turning formula pluggers who freeze at first contact with a problem that doesn't obviously fit an algorithm.

Aw come on, that'll never be a problem.

*feeds new lines of data into Robby Mook's digital god*

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/798978681473531905

Clinton's America looks like an archipelago. Trump's America looks like a bombed out wasteland.

Thoguh has issued a correction as of 21:04 on Nov 16, 2016

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

We're already facing the threat of an education bubble, in which there's a glut of degrees for every field and we still don't even have a majority population of degree holders. The average person working in a service job doesn't need an engineering background which would allow them to effectively design a suspension bridge. They're never going to design a suspension bridge. There's not enough demand for bridge engineers (although that could always change with the political economy).

LegionArel hit the nail on the head. We need to focus on a more well rounded education base so that people can become civically literate in all aspects of labor, society, and culture. Not just the arts and not just STEM.

I studied education for a while before switching my major for History, and if I was Education Master General I'd force everyone to take a crash course 2 year history program. That's purely my own personal bias speaking, because most of the stuff you'd study in any field ultimately ends up being trivial without a practical application.

Like, I think the reason we see so many people process politics through pop culture, whether it's liberals comparing Hillary to Game of Thrones or deplorables portraying Trump as the God Emperor of Mankind, is because they lack a sufficient grounding in history. The historical knowledge of the general public is incredibly shallow, and primarily geared towards reinforcing convenient civic narratives. With such a skewed perception of reality, people have little else to interpret the world through than the media they consume or the hobbies they're wrapped up in.

Somebody brought up a few pages ago that STEM students can read too, but literacy is about more than just reading. It means being able to express yourself fully as an individual through the written form. In that sense, the great majority of people are only half-literate.

anyway, tl;dr everybody deserves a well-rounded education, and conditioning people for a particular discipline long before they should have to is myopic

Book recommendation for all of you:

Lies My Teacher Told Me by James Loewen. It's a good read and also very very enlightening on just how hosed our history classes are. If you don't want to/can't afford to buy it, apparently archive.org has a full text copy:

https://archive.org/stream/LiesMyTeacherToldMe/Lies%20My%20Teacher%20Told%20Me_djvu.txt

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Strep Vote posted:

That's my advice.

preach

LegionAreI posted:

literally preach, ive said it like 5 times at this point earlier on but it did not catch on. It seriously needs to happen like 10 years ago!

It won't magically fix problems but it is a CORE issue and it needs to be a foundation on which you lay the pillars to address the other issues assuredly

Lastgirl has issued a correction as of 21:05 on Nov 16, 2016

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

tadashi posted:

Likewise, there are tons of thins you can do in a STEM program that can later be used to enrich the culture around you if you don't want to spend your life plugged into the internet and drinking Soylent.

Some of the best artists I know are STEM grads. Of course, I may have a personal liking of art that involves machinery and ridiculous amounts of fire - but still! And every technical team I've been a part of has had non-STEM grads as an integral component of their success.

(are all non-STEM degrees liberal arts degrees? I don't even know, honestly.)

Mr. Jive posted:

I don't think it's dumb, you seem to be (knowingly or not) echoing Alinsky:

It wasn't intentional, but that is actually pretty cool because Alinsky has always seemed pretty great. I have read the book that's from, so maybe I internalized it some of it!

NumberLast posted:

They should basically just be purpose made test beds with strict time horizons and mandatory evaluation periods with potential for real impact on curriculum at large.

This would definitely be something I'd support, but that's also pretty far from what Charter Schools are in general (though I assume some do aspire to be this)

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Berious posted:

I heard the US education system was shite but I didn't realise you needed a college level education to learn your letters

ok but have u heard that the products of the US education system elected donald trimp president last week bcoz idk maybe recalibrate ur estimates of how good our poo poo is workin

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

crazy cloud posted:

ok but have u heard that the products of the US education system elected donald trimp president last week bcoz idk maybe recalibrate ur estimates of how good our poo poo is workin

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

MJ12 posted:

Book recommendation for all of you:

Lies My Teacher Told Me by James Loewen. It's a good read and also very very enlightening on just how hosed our history classes are. If you don't want to/can't afford to buy it, apparently archive.org has a full text copy:

https://archive.org/stream/LiesMyTeacherToldMe/Lies%20My%20Teacher%20Told%20Me_djvu.txt

*smashes that muthafuckin :same: button*

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
STE(A)M needs to focus on the A more

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

zen death robot posted:

I didn't go to college lol

all the greats didn't, bill gates, einstein, zdr

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

ThndrShk2k posted:

STE(A)M needs to focus on the A more

rear end, BIG WET

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

anime

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Will America be ready for a dakimakura First Lady by 2020? I'm asking for a friend.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Karl Barks posted:

At least two of those went to college though

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

when you have the most popular politician in america its a good idea to use him

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Karl Barks posted:

hitler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Is there a CSPAM thread where I can bitch about how my wife's mother is a dumb religious zealot that reads Breitbart?

Edit: also ed balls

• Locked thread