Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

the SSD is soldered to the logic board

they made a $4000 iPad

why, apple

whapple

:cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

r u ready to WALK posted:

they made a $4000 iPad

why, apple

whapple

you obviously lack courage my friend

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

they made a $4000 iPad

why, apple

whapple

just buy a new computer when the harddrive is used up

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

haven't they been soldered to the logic board for years now?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Endless Mike posted:

haven't they been soldered to the logic board for years now?
the ram is soldered

you can open the case up and swap out the ssd with a proper set of screwdrivers

e: at least, up until now

FMguru fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 16, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

they made a $4000 iPad

why, apple

whapple

r u joking

so you can't even, like, buy the smallest ssd and then upgrade it yourself and pay $250 instead of $1100?

gently caress

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

they made a $4000 iPad

why, apple

whapple

one word

courage

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

r u joking

so you can't even, like, buy the smallest ssd and then upgrade it yourself and pay $250 instead of $1100?

gently caress

feature not a bug!

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
the new non-touchbar mbp has a removable ssd, so they can't even say it's some inherent trade-off in the new design

also those speaker grills always looked ugly imo so if they're not even useful it's even stupider

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

the new non-touchbar mbp has a removable ssd, so they can't even say it's some inherent trade-off in the new design

it might actually be though. the touchbar is a complete watchOS system embedded in the macbook, arm chips screen and all

they may honestly need the extra space to deliver the same battery capacity

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
this just makes the touchbar even dumber though

$4,000 laptop with 16 gb of RAM lol

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

apple is sliding down the tubes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_GrmCn2iiI

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Maybe the speakers on the touchbar MBP are positioned differently but I'm sure Apple knows what they're doing with guiding the sound through a sound chambers or whatever to bounce it up to th-

quote:

The speaker grille doesn't even go clear through the case. The "grilles" are seemingly cosmetic
oh

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

the best part is that you can't even make a space saving argument because they boosted the spacing around the batteries and also included a random connector that ifixit can't identify the purpose of. but a standard nvme m.2 connector is just too cowardly I guess.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
I thought everyone said the new speakers were real good

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it might actually be though. the touchbar is a complete watchOS system embedded in the macbook, arm chips screen and all

they may honestly need the extra space to deliver the same battery capacity

well a lot of reviews say the touchbar models have significantly worse battery life anyway, so if that's the explanation they probably should've just made it a millimeter thicker or something. they also needed room for the extra thunderbolt controller i guess.

but any way you slice it this is looking like the ipad 3, a product pushed out a couple of months before the underlying tech was where it needed to be to meet deadlines. maybe 6-9 months from now they'll update with the newer intel chips and other tweaks and it'll be good, who knows

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Linguica posted:

Maybe the speakers on the touchbar MBP are positioned differently but I'm sure Apple knows what they're doing with guiding the sound through a sound chambers or whatever to bounce it up to th-

oh

their only purpose is to fill up with gross skin crud so you have to buy a new macbook

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
apple has resorted to the computer equivalent of fake exhausts on cars

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

it looks like the Macbook Escape and the Touchbar Edition were two entirely different potential designs, with the former having up-firing speakers and the latter not, and Tim said "porque no los dos?" and then they added fake speaker grilles on the touchbar edition so that it didn't look like it was gimped compared to the cheaper one

ufarn
May 30, 2009
https://twitter.com/kwiens/status/798926858456690690
https://twitter.com/kwiens/status/798927337987313664
https://twitter.com/kwiens/status/798928423951314944
https://twitter.com/kwiens/status/798929428826845185

this makes it all the more INSANE that they didn’t give the two versions a meaningful distinction in naming them

logikv9 posted:

apple has resorted to the computer equivalent of fake exhausts on cars
and the touch bar is the equivalent of headlight eyelashes

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it sounds like they might have looked at not having the touchbar 13" at all

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
my iPhone 7+ finally came in today. it is very needs suiting.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Linguica posted:

it looks like the Macbook Escape and the Touchbar Edition were two entirely different potential designs, with the former having up-firing speakers and the latter not, and Tim said "porque no los dos?" and then they added fake speaker grilles on the touchbar edition so that it didn't look like it was gimped compared to the cheaper one

shut apple down and give the money back to the shareholders

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Linguica posted:

ifixit now says there are high-freq tweeters that probably use the speaker grille. still looks ugly tho

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

ahahahaha

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

who the gently caress cares about whether all the holes go all the way through

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

well when they don't go all the way through they gradually fill up with crud and dust and you have no way of cleaning them out

maybe you could put one of those nose pore strips over it and pull out a little forest of dead skin cemented together with finger grease

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

remember when steve had them invent a method of lasering little tiny holes through metal so that the webcam light could shine through but it didn't look like a light when it wasn't on. that owned

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

well when they don't go all the way through they gradually fill up with crud and dust and you have no way of cleaning them out
the old macbook has a thin film behind the speaker grill holes and they also get filled with crud

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.engadget.com/2016/11/16/macbook-pro-touch-bar-teardown/ lol sound is going through side vents

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

like, do you even own a laptop? they all got little nooks and crannies where dust collects. this aint some epic design flaw totally unique to the 2016 apples

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

tbf i don't think this is new

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

carry on then posted:

tbf i don't think this is new
that's what happens on the laptop im posting this from rn, but i dont have speaker grills on it's body either

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

THC posted:

like, do you even own a laptop? they all got little nooks and crannies where dust collects. this aint some epic design flaw totally unique to the 2016 apples

blind holes are stupid

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

THC posted:

on my xps 15 which is a good laptop (unlike a mac book) the speakers are on the front and pointed down so dust cannot collect in them like it can in the mac book

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

on my xps 15 which is a good laptop (unlike a mac book) the speakers are on the front and pointed down so dust cannot collect in them like it can in the mac book

shaggar was wrong

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

e: sa needful needs to stop emptyquoting for no reason

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 17, 2016

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

my macbook which is the best laptop (unlike an xps running windows 10) has the speakers and microphones on the side for the same reason

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
mac books, which are trash for poor people, actually have the speaker grills on the top which allows them to collect dust and other things. in some mac books these holes are also functional, on others they are not. this is because apple is too cheap to design multiple laptops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Linguica posted:

the tweeter goes up through the grill and the woofer goes through the air vents, but most of the grill is cosmetic and only one little corner has actual holes all the way through with the tweeter underneath it.

• Locked thread