Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Just watching one of Kelbys vids, and a watcher asked "How do you have the time to write all those books?"

I think his secret is that he's only actually written one book, and then just repeats the info endlessly in each new book he "writes".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
So my friend is looking at a Nikon D5500 and this lens: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DOVD9UA/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_NX5Wxb0KXA37E

His main concern is night and astronomy photos - he wants to take pictures of the milky way galaxy while we're in Peru.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm pretty sure that rokinen is well liked by Astro photography people. However, it is one of those photography styles where the best results are from throwing ridiculous amounts of money at it, and if it's something he's super serious about then renting a full frame body would pay off over taking his d5500.

Essentially you want the best high ISO performance, combined with the widest field of view you can get on the fastest aperture with good glass that's as free from coma and other artifacting as possible. Doesn't come cheap. Not to say you can't get good results from a DX camera, but it's all about what expectations he has really.

Also get a copy of Photo Pills if he has an iPhone because that's a great use of $10.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Alright goons. Figured I'd drop in and say hi, just picked up baby's first budget dslr to replace my Sony dscv1 (there were features on that camera I loved and didn't want to give it up for a long time.

Grabed an old rear end nikon d80 and a nikor 28-80mm f3.5 lense. I grabbed it due to the fact that the other day I was trying to get some shots that just couldn't be done with a phone. Plus I've played with my brothers and like it's feel and even as an old rear end camera it takes decent pics.

Anything I should know about this particular camera other than its many years old?

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Sep 12, 2016

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

tater_salad posted:

Alright goons. Figured I'd drop in and say hi, just picked up baby's first budget dslr to replace my Sony dscv1 (there were features on that camera I loved and didn't want to give it up for a long time.

Grabed an old rear end nikon d80 and a nikor 28-80mm f3.5 lense. I grabbed it due to the fact that the other day I was trying to get some shots that just couldn't be done with a phone. Plus I've played with my brothers and like it's feel and even as an old rear end camera it takes decent pics.

Anything I should know about this particular camera other than its many years old?

It's a pretty sweet camera, just go out and take photos! Since getting into photography, I've just been taking a fuckload of photos that mostly suck but I'm really enjoying it.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I think I take good pics and yeah that's my plan is to take lots of pictures.

My dscv1 had great manual settings sonat least I'm familiar with apersture shutter and iso. One thing I loved was the manual white balance which I have missed on every point and shoot I've owned. Sadly being 12+ years old at this point the memory card slot needs paper in it to work it's USB 1 and the battery works for 15 min.

My next purchase will be an f1.8 50mm, after I get a bag and a hood.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Odette posted:

Since getting into photography, I've just been taking a fuckload of photos that mostly suck but I'm really enjoying it.

:hfive:

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

Odette posted:

Since getting into photography, I've just been taking a fuckload of photos that mostly suck but I'm really enjoying it.

This is pretty much what everybody does even after years even if shooting professionally but.. nobody admits.

Also taking bad photos is a great way to learn new things about photography. You can play with bad ideas until they become good ones.

The last year or so of my personal photography time I have mostly focused on being frustrated with good photos and taking deliberately bad photos to see where that lands. Side effects: I've gotten much better at picking up abstract ideas like shapes and repetition of shapes (e.g. stripes, triangles, squares, circles) in city scenes, and now own a ton of photo books from photographers who shoot classically bad but interesting photography to figure out why it's interesting.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

When my bro was in town I focused on taking "bad" flower macros. I hate flower macros with a passion due to anyone with a dslr thinking they are awesome kuz they took a close up of a flower.

I would stick the camera in front of a flower then focus for the landscape or the rocks behind it or the garden timber.

I agree taking bad photos is good I did a lot of that when I had time and a working camera. Now I have time again and soon a working camera.

Onw thing i can't wait for is to get to Niagara Falls in the winter when everything is grey and ice covered. I lost a poo poo ton of pics I had taken there awhile ago and I want to replace them.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

tater_salad posted:

Onw thing i can't wait for is to get to Niagara Falls in the winter when everything is grey and ice covered. I lost a poo poo ton of pics I had taken there awhile ago and I want to replace them.

I'll be interested in seeing these when you take them, since I went to Buffalo for work in February and took a side trip to the Falls and already took a ton of bad photos :v:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'm hoping to get 2 different days, bleak, grey and cloudy with snow on the ground, then a nice sow covered blue sky day.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

I've been wanting a good camera for a long time and now I'm ready to buy one. It's a little difficult deciding what to get because it seems like the market is very competitive and there are lots of good options. I can't even decide between mirrorless and DSLR, so I'm crossposting here and in the mirrorless in hopes that I can get some advice.

Rough idea of what kind of photography interests me:

Landscape
Urban
Street
Portrait
Macro
Time-Lapse

I live in NYC, so size/weight does matter since I'm always on foot. Not concerned about weatherproofing.

I'm leaning toward mirrorless because I feel like I'll carry my camera more often if it's relatively small, but is there any reason I should seriously consider getting a DSLR instead?

Budget is around $1000 and I could exceed that a bit if there's a significant upgrade within reach. I certainly wouldn't mind spending less, but I don't want to buy a camera for half that price and find out within a year that I'm already wishing for an upgrade.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Buying a camera and finding something that ignites your gear lust 6 months later is unavoidable.

Sounds like a mirrorless is more your style. Nothing inherent to a DSLR occurs to me as something you'd really seriously miss.

How do you feel about used gear? Your budget is pretty good - $1000 will get you a very useable camera new, but a camera even a couple of years old will sell on the second-hand market for around half the price of the newest model, and be a very capable device that can wear the same lenses as the newest model. That leaves more money for said lenses - which don't depreciate in value nearly as quickly as camera bodies.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Sounds like M43 is your best bet. If you get a used E-M10 you will have a ton of money left to get lenses. Or you could grab a used E-M5 II. You probably don't need a macro lens right away, there are tons of macro conversions lenses like the Raynox DCR that are pretty good for the price (~50 bucks).

Ethanfr0me
Feb 2, 2012
Selling a Canon 6d kit in the Buy/Sell thread for a p good price check it out!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3759085&pagenumber=18#post466526569

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Camera makers are just weird when they decide what's a premium feature and what isn't. Want an extra little dial? That'll be another $100. Want a magnesium housing, the same housing every SLR camera had for decades? Nope, that's premium now. Want face detection? Sure, every point and click has it these days, but if you want an SLR then face detection is a premium feature.

Bigger sensor, better firmware, sure charge whatever you want. But then they just start nickel and dimeing you over every little thing.

At least with Sony you just want 6 months and see if the next version has it.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

It doesn't matter if Sony makes cameras out of magnesium since they assume you dump your current body in the trash every six months when they put out the new one. Also more knobs make you more of a professional so that costs more.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Want a magnesium housing, the same housing every SLR camera had for decades? Nope, that's premium now.

Really not true, many many consumer SLR's have had plastic shells since the 70s. This is not a new thing. As soon as plastic started being able to do the job cheaper and lighter, they started making cameras for people who weren't going to chuck them around an airport 200 times a year out of plastic.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

My dad has a Nikon D70 that he's been slowly becoming less and less satisfied with, and so I'd like to give him something newer for Christmas. Not knowing much about DSLRs myself, I've been looking around at reviews and reading some threads here, and it seems like a D5500 might be up his alley? I found a Nikon refurbished one at adorama for $500 for the body, which as far as I can tell will be compatible with the lenses he has from his D70. Are there other options I should be looking at? I don't want to be spending huge amounts of money, but I can go a little higher if there's something drastically better suited for him. He's specifically said that he wants better low light performance, and the reviews I found all praised the D5500 in that area. I know he'll need a new memory card too, since his D70 takes compactflash. Back when he was shopping for that, the speed of the memory card had a significant impact on how quickly he could snap more shots. Is this still an issue or am I pretty much good with anything on amazon with a class 10 rating? Help!

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
If he has a D70 chances are he's using one of the older AF lenses which requires a focus drive in the camera body for autofocus. The newer AF-S lenses have the focus drive in the lens itself. The D5xxx series of bodies do not come with a focus drive and are intended to be used with newer AF-S lenses only. So any older lenses he owns won't autofocus on the D5500. You'll need something in the D7xxx line.

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 24, 2016

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Maybe a second hand or refurbished D7100 would do him good in that scenario. The current model has a far better buffer, as the main flaw in the D7100 was running out of continuous burst that sports/wildlife people like, but if he doesn't shoot that kind of stuff then a D7100 would be a big step up.

It's worth remembering that even though his current body is 10 years+ old, the lower end bodies available now might still be missing features he's used to.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Yeah Adorama has Nikon refurbished D7100's right now for $580 which seems perfect for your price range and it'll allow your dad to use any old lenses he wants.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Thanks, all of you! I missed that about the auto focus motor, the refurbished D7100 on adorama looks perfect. The D7100 also looks like it has the settings LCD on top like his D70. I assume this will give good low light performance too? I know that's something he's always wishing was better on his current camera.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
The D7100 will make his D70 look like a lovely flip phone camera from 2005

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think the D70 probably gives similar low light performance as my D50, which was max ISO of 1600 and only really usable up to 800. The D7100 sensor I take up to 6400 without too many headaches. Noise is always inherent and you lose dynamic range, but you can definitely push them a lot harder, which is impressive given how large the images coming out of the camera are.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

BANME.sh posted:

Yeah Adorama has Nikon refurbished D7100's right now for $580 which seems perfect for your price range and it'll allow your dad to use any old lenses he wants.
This.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

D7100 it is then! As to my other question, do I need to look for anything special in a memory card or just any class 10 these days. I appreciate your help with the camera choice.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
SD memory cards are cheap and generally reliable. Stick with Class 10 (as you've already decided, good) and get two from a reputable brand. A "reputable" brand is one you've seen before and a quick google doesn't come back with a page full of failure. I say get two because why not?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Lexar or Sandisk, both available easily enough just make sure you get from a reputable dealer because of course there's fakes out there.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

ExecuDork posted:

SD memory cards are cheap and generally reliable. Stick with Class 10 (as you've already decided, good) and get two from a reputable brand. A "reputable" brand is one you've seen before and a quick google doesn't come back with a page full of failure. I say get two because why not?

Get two because the D7100 has dual card slots. Not all class 10 cards are equal. Pretty sure they can list class 10 for anything above 10mb/s, and there are much faster cards now. https://www.sdcard.org/developers/overview/speed_class/index.html

For instance, I have a UHS 3 card listed at 60 mb/s and a UHS 1 card listed at 80 mb/s. They are both fast.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

And it's always important to remember that if the card only lists one speed on the sticker, that's the read speed.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

And also that lovely media will reliably gently caress your life. It's not as bad on a dual slot body (get two cheap cards and write to both), but really just spend the little extra and get good media.

ActionJacksonATL
Nov 9, 2006

So I've had a Canon Rebel XSi for about 6 years now and can take pretty crappy pictures with it due to my awesome lack of skill but considering I have some money thought I may purchase another DSLR... would a Canon T6i be a good upgrade or will that just be more of the same? I mainly take pictures of family but also landscape and other random stuff whist maintaining horrible composition. It would be nice to be able to take pictures in low light settings without the need for a flash or tri-pod which is my biggest issue currently.

Kinda wanted to be able to use my two Canon IS/AF lenses (18-55mm and 55-250mm) so not sure if I want to switch to using a Nikon or Pentax but am open to it. Budget is under $1,500.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

ActionJacksonATL posted:

So I've had a Canon Rebel XSi for about 6 years now and can take pretty crappy pictures with it due to my awesome lack of skill but considering I have some money thought I may purchase another DSLR... would a Canon T6i be a good upgrade or will that just be more of the same? I mainly take pictures of family but also landscape and other random stuff whist maintaining horrible composition. It would be nice to be able to take pictures in low light settings without the need for a flash or tri-pod which is my biggest issue currently.

Kinda wanted to be able to use my two Canon IS/AF lenses (18-55mm and 55-250mm) so not sure if I want to switch to using a Nikon or Pentax but am open to it. Budget is under $1,500.

If your budget is under $1500 why don't you just buy an 80D? Works reasonably well at ISO 6400 which covers decent depth of field and shutter speeds in most low light indoor situations, and perfectly fine at ISO 3200 if you can give up some depth of field.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, $1500 should get you an 80D body with just about enough left over for a nifty fifty and a Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8. That lot will rock your world compared to the XSi.

B&H have the 80D body for $1099 right now, the 50mm f/1.8 for $110 and the Sigma 17-50mm for $369.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Someone I know is asking for a camera recommendation for her daughter who is expecting a baby. She is not interested in photography (the daughter, that is) and just wants something nice around 500 dollars to capture every day moments better than what a cell phone could do. I recommended the RX100m2 since that way the soon to be grandmother (who is into photography) can work on raws if they have shots they want to improve and the size is nice and small - is there anything else that would be a better choice? She was looking at the Fuji X30 but I don't know that it would be better than the Sony.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

Helen Highwater posted:

Yeah, $1500 should get you an 80D body with just about enough left over for a nifty fifty and a Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8. That lot will rock your world compared to the XSi.

B&H have the 80D body for $1099 right now, the 50mm f/1.8 for $110 and the Sigma 17-50mm for $369.

I concur this is a good option but if you can splurge and want something 50mm like, the 80D at $1099 and EF 35mm f/2 IS USM at $550 is a nice option if you like the 50mm field of view and the 35mm f/2 IS USM is a great lens for APS-C or FF bodies (e.g. you will keep it for as long as Canon supports the EF mount). The nifty fifty is a little telephoto-esque on APS-C.

Depends on what you shoot?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

rio posted:

Someone I know is asking for a camera recommendation for her daughter who is expecting a baby. She is not interested in photography (the daughter, that is) and just wants something nice around 500 dollars to capture every day moments better than what a cell phone could do.

Anyone else read this and see less a technology problem, and more a potential for hurt feelings? It sounds like everyone here means well, but is she really asking someone who "doesn't care" about photography to lug around an extra device while they're learning how to be a mom, just so grandma can get photos in her nerd file format? :pwn:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

windex posted:

The nifty fifty is a little telephoto-esque on APS-C.

Depends on what you shoot?

Yeah, 50mm on crop is kind of a weird focal length. Not super convenient in my experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I prefer it to 35mm on 1.5x crop personally. Puts it right at the bottom of the portrait range, with plenty of speed.

• Locked thread