Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Helios is a big old jerkbag and is really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

When I first saw he didn't have any damaging guns I figured he was just going to be another meme-piece. He seems really strong with Elara (Dark Shroud and Retalitory strike are cool) but I'm not sure who else would be good with him. I have a sneaking suspicion all the stuff I like in Ret (Rahn, Kaelyssa, Disco, Sents) is getting dumpstered to unplayability in January so I'm looking to diversify.

EDIT: Can someone explain to me why every Helynna list I see has a buttload of Manticores instead of stuff that has better guns like the Hydra or Banshee? Hand of Destruction seems pretty pointless on pow 12 (it seems like either you put it on something that's going to die to one or two pow 12s making it a waste of time, or put it on something that's too chunky to care about even premium pow 12), but I've never really played with the hand of fate effects so maybe I'm missing something.

fadam fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 13, 2016

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

fadam posted:

When I first saw he didn't have any damaging guns I figured he was just going to be another meme-piece. He seems really strong with Elara (Dark Shroud and Retalitory strike are cool) but I'm not sure who else would be good with him. I have a sneaking suspicion all the stuff I like in Ret (Rahn, Kaelyssa, Disco, Sents) is getting dumpstered to unplayability in January so I'm looking to diversify.

EDIT: Can someone explain to me why every Helynna list I see has a buttload of Manticores instead of stuff that has better guns like the Hydra or Banshee? Hand of Destruction seems pretty pointless on pow 12 (it seems like either you put it on something that's going to die to one or two pow 12s making it a waste of time, or put it on something that's too chunky to care about even premium pow 12), but I've never really played with the hand of fate effects so maybe I'm missing something.

Helios is good with an accuracy buff, IMO. Rahn is my favorite choice, plus polarity shield on Helios is hilarious, but just some way to make him not have to rely on his RAT5 is all he really needs.

The Manticores are there for volume of attacks, really. HoD shines when you wash huge amounts of dice through it and Manticores are really the only jacks that allow that to happen through being our only non ROF1 jack and also cheap enough to get multiples. You'd be surprised how many heavies will die to a bunch of boosted HoD POW12's (that end 15" away from the target, safe from most charges).

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Pyrolocutus posted:

You make the ranged and melee attacks simultaneously, but can take them in any order. That lets you drag something in then wail on it.

Or it lets a blitzer under jarl skuld charge something, punch it, take a shot on something else entirely, swift hunter, shoot, swift hunter, take his other initial melee, shoot, swift hunter, then buy more attacks! Live the dual attack dream!

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Jimmy Hats posted:

Or it lets a blitzer under jarl skuld charge something, punch it, take a shot on something else entirely, swift hunter, shoot, swift hunter, take his other initial melee, shoot, swift hunter, then buy more attacks! Live the dual attack dream!

Quicken and Magic bullet really let's you lay on the pain. Put Rage/Primal on as well. The fun never ends!

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Mad Libs theme forces continue -

From Minions FB -

"All Farrow warlocks+ Dr A.
non-character farrow warbeasts
EFAARIT MODELS/UNITS
Farrow Models/Units
AA, GtW, Hobh, RMtim, SO, SGC, VP, R&B
every 20pts of farrow units or battle engines= a free non-character solo, weapon crew, or command attachment.
Farrow Warbeasts gainRetalitory strike
one Farrow Commando unit gains Ambush"

Make your own at home!

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot
the store i work at had a sale this weekend, 50% off of WMH, so being the smart man i am i realized this was better than my employee discount and decided to pick up a couple casters for menoth, since i just ordered a butt ton of that

now im assembling intercessor kreoss and i hate him so goddamn much

THE HORSE WAS EASIER TO ASSEMBLE THAN THE DUDE

gently caress

Fuck Whitey fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Nov 14, 2016

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
I played a small game of Warmachine for the first time in years this past weekend!! Using the new mk3 ruleset! It was exciting. I've only ever played a few games back in mk1, and some of the Iron Kingdoms RPG, but my friend had never played at all.

My friend was playing the Retribution starter set, just the warcaster and the three warjacks (myrmidons?). So I used my only warcaster and my only three painted warjacks, which were Feora1, a Castigator, Crusader, and Dervish. I like the Protectorate of Menoth.

I lost! I wasn't really expecting to do too well, I was never good at this game. But I did get to set everything on fire, so I succeeded at small goals at least. And, while he won in the end, I had Feora use Engine of Destruction to go toe-to-toe with one of his warjacks and come out on top, so he at least got to see what she could do. But he kept repairing his warjacks and used his feat to restore all their barrier fields or whatever, while hiding in a forest, and I just couldn't take him out.

Now, my battlegroup maybe wasn't, like, "well-thought-out" or anything, since I originally got the Castigator and Crusader so they could throw my exploding flamethrower dudes back in mk1, but it went okay I guess. I may have lost, but I didn't lose miserably or anything.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.
I just put together the plastic Stormclad and I'm very impressed. It's miles better than the lovely old metal one.

It makes me excited for if they start producing more real plastic kits in the future.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007

Friendly Fire posted:

I just put together the plastic Stormclad and I'm very impressed. It's miles better than the lovely old metal one.

It makes me excited for if they start producing more real plastic kits in the future.

The seether/inflictor box was a joy to put together.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I don't have pms but I'm interested in a few of those. Ive been holding off on stones because i expect them to get nerfed pretty bad.

Hey pal, sorry i didn't get back to you! I ended up getting a lot of local trade requests (turns out circle is extremely easy to get rid of) and most of the lot is gone! It's probably too small for an SA mart dealie now, and i don't want to poo poo up the thread with it, but if you wanted to e-mail me at Twilight_M@hotmail.com i can tell you whats left!

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

gently caress Whitey posted:

the store i work at had a sale this weekend, 50% off of WMH, so being the smart man i am i realized this was better than my employee discount and decided to pick up a couple casters for menoth, since i just ordered a butt ton of that

now im assembling intercessor kreoss and i hate him so goddamn much

THE HORSE WAS EASIER TO ASSEMBLE THAN THE DUDE

gently caress

Ditch his stupid, STUPID flags and make yourself much happier. Imo he also looks better without the silly things

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I ditched the flags on kreoss 2 and was much, much happier

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So after picking up some painted and slightly battered models from bartertown super cheap, the lot I got had 3 repenters in it. I already have 2 from the mk1 and mk3 battle boxes I got.

I want to have Malekus with Hand of Judgement leading 5 repenter ducklings around. I know this will be a dumb and bad thing but I want you to help me build it. So starting with a base of 5 repenters, HoJ, a choir, and probably Rhoven since I put them in basically every list, I've got 32 points left. What would be a good ignite target? I've got errants, cinerators, idrians, and will get some knights exemplar soonish. Feora1 and Feora2 are also options but additional die to fire seem like the most likely way to make this semi functional.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

chutche2 posted:

So after picking up some painted and slightly battered models from bartertown super cheap, the lot I got had 3 repenters in it. I already have 2 from the mk1 and mk3 battle boxes I got.

I want to have Malekus with Hand of Judgement leading 5 repenter ducklings around. I know this will be a dumb and bad thing but I want you to help me build it. So starting with a base of 5 repenters, HoJ, a choir, and probably Rhoven since I put them in basically every list, I've got 32 points left. What would be a good ignite target? I've got errants, cinerators, idrians, and will get some knights exemplar soonish. Feora1 and Feora2 are also options but additional die to fire seem like the most likely way to make this semi functional.

Idrians

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
You could jack marshal some of them, that +2 to hit seems amazing on repenter sprays. Tradeoff no open fire but you have a stack of other targets for it.

I have been vaguely considering a reckoner / reclaimer / vassal package just because applying flare is a pain in the rear end and that's the only way of getting a Rat7 boosted flare off now. A buccaneer would probably make more sense i guess.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I don't think I have a jack marshal. I've got Tristan though.

Reclaimer is pretty cheap but I mean I don't see myself ever taking one of the marshals over Tristan in any real list so I don't plan on getting one.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

chutche2 posted:

I don't think I have a jack marshal. I've got Tristan though.

Reclaimer is pretty cheap but I mean I don't see myself ever taking one of the marshals over Tristan in any real list so I don't plan on getting one.

They're pretty good with Redeemers under pKreoss, but they're probably not a priority purchase.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

CaptCommy posted:

They're pretty good with Redeemers under pKreoss, but they're probably not a priority purchase.

Why's that? if I'm doing a pop and drop, then for 1 point more I can have boosts with tristan instead of having +2 damage. Have a shield guard protecting him and you can have two redeemers with 3 focus each. JMs need some kind of drive to be better than taking a junior, except in edge cases like some of the jacks that make their own focus.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Nov 15, 2016

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Yeah tristan with 2 redeemers is straight money - he's pretty much never going to die 8" behind your two 16" range jacks.

Marshalling a redeemer can be arguably better than the focus since the +damage applies to every roll, and redeemers very often make more than 3 damage rolls per activation - on the other hand having to aim is a pain in the rear end. Not relevant for pop and drop though. Probably mostly relevant if you wanted the reclaimer anyway for future sight etc - if you're playing sev2 for example future sight is the best thing in the world for him.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

(and don't forget future sight is as close as we get to a caster-independent hit buff on our heavies, which is pretty relevant in a Def12 world)

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
What would be important things to keep in mind when list building for Rumble? Especially at 25points?

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Iceclaw posted:

What would be important things to keep in mind when list building for Rumble? Especially at 25points?

High POW attacks all day every day. This is what i play at 25 pts.

Vlad2
-Behemoth
Iron Fang Pikemen
-UA
Kayazy Eliminators

It plays 4 points down which isn't ideal but has plenty of threat range, the pair of hand of fated behemoth guns, a spell to keep you safe from enemy shooting, and high def models for jamming important things. Works good!

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I played this at 25 recently and had some good results:

Borka2
-Dire Troll Mauler
-Slag Troll
-Slag Troll
Trollkin Warders (min)
Krielstone Bearer & Stone Scribes (min)
-Stone Scribe Elder

Slag trolls being at 10 you can swap them for Troll Axer if you want. Borka can give the Warders cold immunity so they are protected under feat. Warders also have Shield Guard now (yea, they are awesome) to help with ranged stuff. I felt like I was able to deal with anything I might come up against and having 3 things that can countercharge when lists are already quite small is huge, because it felt like whatever they did to get up close would result in me sticking a warbeast in their face.

Spigs
Jun 5, 2008
Played this list yesterday and had a good time, my opponent played Kraye with 2 Centurions, Dynamo and a couple of Chargers along with whatever Cygnar's Cav that threatens half the board is called. Long story short Kraye hates fire and blast damage.

Trollbloods Army - 75 / 75 points

(Horgle 2) Horgle, the Anvil [+29]
- Dire Troll Blitzer [16]
- Dire Troll Bomber [19]
- Dire Troll Mauler [15]
- Dozer & Smigg [18]
- Trollkin Runebearer [4]
Krielstone Bearer & Stone Scribes (max) [9]
- Stone Scribe Elder [3]
Trollkin Fennblades (max) [15]
- Fennblade Officer and Drummer [5]

There was a question that came up around deviations though where what we saw didn't seem to line up with the math. 4in AOE centered on a large based model deviates 3 inches. Using proxies and laying everything as flat as we could it looked like the large based model was just barely clipped by the AOE, however my opponent argued that the math says it should be out. Anyone have a definitive answer?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
This is one of those instances where someone else might come along and make me look like an idiot, but your opponent is technically right. Large based models are 50mm, which is about 2inches. So if the AOE deviates 3inches and models within 2inches of the center of the deviation are struck, a large based model would technically be out of the AOE range, though only very slightly. 50mm isn't exactly 2 inches, but 1.96inches. So the model would technically be .04 inches outside of the AOE. However, we aren't using computers to precisely move everything, so slight variances will happen.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Nah, I just did the math and the large based model would be just out.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

A large base is 50mm, or 1.97 inches. This means you have to deviate at least 1/2(1.97)(distance from center point to edge of base)+2(half the 4' template) or 2.985 inches to miss it. So your opponent was right.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Phew, I thought I was about to look like an idiot.

Spigs
Jun 5, 2008
Thanks everyone, good to know going forward.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jimmy Hats posted:

I ditched the flags on kreoss 2 and was much, much happier

Is there a good way of ditching the flag on floatgirl?

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

LordAba posted:

yeah, they just snap off after you transport them somewhere

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

LordAba posted:

You just have to believe in yourself and Say No to Stupid Fiddly Menoth Bits.

Those spikes on Feora2's backpack? gone! Kreoss flags? Ditch 'em! Weights on the wrack? Geddoutta there!

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Jimmy Hats posted:

You just have to believe in yourself and Say No to Stupid Fiddly Menoth Bits.

Those spikes on Feora2's backpack? gone! Kreoss flags? Ditch 'em! Weights on the wrack? Geddoutta there!

I think you could make the Wrack weights really cool with a tiny bit of jewelry chain so they actually dangle and sway, and also make them less ridiculously break-prone.

Harby's flag arm can gently caress right off though. Really any pewter flag is stupid and bad and shouldn't exist. Plastic has its problems, but imo it is WORLDS better when it comes to those dumb little fiddly bits and flags.

Magres fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Nov 16, 2016

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Holy poo poo, gently caress assembling the loving gobber tinker. Six points of contact that must be glued simultaneously? Eat my rear end. After 17 attempts I just threw the shithead in the trash.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

rydiafan posted:

Holy poo poo, gently caress assembling the loving gobber tinker. Six points of contact that must be glued simultaneously? Eat my rear end. After 17 attempts I just threw the shithead in the trash.

A tiny ball of green stuff on each of the contact points held it in place while the glue dried for me.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Magres posted:

I think you could make the Wrack weights really cool with a tiny bit of jewelry chain so they actually dangle and sway, and also make them less ridiculously break-prone.

Harby's flag arm can gently caress right off though. Really any pewter flag is stupid and bad and shouldn't exist. Plastic has its problems, but imo it is WORLDS better when it comes to those dumb little fiddly bits and flags.

I did the chain thing for stacks ,it is way easier than assembling them out of the box and the chain is super cheap.

My harbie has a spare errant shield instead of her flag because screw that

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Magres posted:

WrackChat

My favourite wrack both to play and transport is the one I made from the bit that goes on pReznik's back.

It makes Reznik less busy and is a convenient folded wrack.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
http://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?254747-Spraying-over-a-cloud-template&p=3736611&viewfull=1#post3736611

Interesting ruling.

Unlike normal cloud effects, clouds that are hazards or that are Dense Fog count as terrain and so will stop sprays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

So I guess murder of crows got a buff?