Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Source your quotes!

-

I've been running this Scot list in a grow league. Sort of a gimmick to explore a sectorial/play something new/have fun with new players. I'm using it as an experiment in a bunch of poo poo I hate doing in Vanilla Ariadna: Open LTs, link teams, tons of impetuous, and little camo. Any ideas about expanding to 300/400 points without sacrificing the gimmick? Any Scot players in here lurking about with fun combos?

Chain Spam
──────────────────────────────────────────────────

GROUP 1 6 4 4
WALLACE Lieutenant Combi Rifle + Light Flamethrower, Smoke Grenades / Pistol, EXP CCW. (0 | 35)
VOLUNTEER Paramedic (Medikit) Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 10)
VOLUNTEER Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 8)
VOLUNTEER Chain Rifle, Light Shotgun / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 6)
HIGHLANDER GREY AP HMG, Smoke Grenades / Pistol, CCW. (1.5 | 34)
ISOBEL McGREGOR T2 Rifle, Flash Pulse, D-Charges, E/Mauler / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 26)
HIGHLANDER Chain Rifle, Smoke Grenades / Pistol, AP CCW. (0 | 6)

GROUP 2 3 1
S.A.S. (Forward Observer) Rifle / Pistol, AP CCW, Knife. (0 | 24)
CATERAN Sniper Rifle / Pistol, AP CCW. (0.5 | 21)

2.5 SWC | 200 Points

Open in Infinity Army

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

The tech bee is the most shameful miniature CB has produced. I thought the Oyori pilot was as bad as it'd get but I've been proven wrong.

Pierzak posted:

Also I like the cheesecake, if it kills your opinion of me please put me on ignore now tia

Never Use The Ignore Function; Always Poast With Honor™

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Cyclomatic posted:

If we are being real, men and women are attractive to each other. You just don't go down to the gym and happen to see a woman that works out and say to yourself: that isn't hot. Nor should anyone be under any delusions that women down at the gym are not thinking the exact same thing when they see a man that is working out. Even during the non-meat market hours where everyone in the place is legit focused on trying to get their their sets in and leave.

The dividing line between being creepy or not is if someone hits that thought and their entire thought process then derailed into fixation on that one aspect. Standing there and staring while attempting to undress them with your eyes is rude and creepy, because you've skipped right past respectful and fleeting appreciation into some pretty invasive assumptions. If you just think to yourself: they look good, and then move on to your next thought, just about every person would simply be flattered if they could read your thoughts.

Which is my problem with pure cheesecake, and also my problem with puritanical logic. There isn't anything interesting in that Tech-Bee sculpt that isn't 100% focused on being T&A in a suggestive pose targeted at the creeper that wants to sit there and stare in a fixated manner. However, I've got an equal problem with puritanical thinking that makes a big deal about things like the Bagh Mari sniper having a nice butt, because guess what: it looks like a nice butt because it looks like a female butt. Freaking out about every instance of recognizable T&A, is more or less literally a call for a burka analog that makes sure to hide everything last bit of the female form from sight, which is problematic. Special care also needs to be taken to avoid the really insidious suggestion that female miniatures shouldn't look female and be indistinguishable from the male miniatures which is, when you really think about it, dangerously close to a suggestion that a woman can't be taken seriously as a capable combatant unless they look like a man (especially when the male models often have equipment giving them exaggerated male traits).

One trait among the many that make you appreciate the collective whole: normal, and most likely entirely unavoidable. Only trait of note and is there for you to stare and fixate on it: creepy. A forbidden trait that must be totally hidden away: repressive.

lol

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I go to a collegiate rec 2-3 times a week to lift. There are plenty of attractive women there, though I do my best not to creep. That Tech Bee image on the previous page still garners a "what the hell" reaction from me, because they literally show her, a trained soldier, without pants, in a thong bottom. Like, they had to purposefully do it that way. Attractive people in minimal clothing is Cool and Good in the right context, but this is so far from the right context that it just ends up weird. Weirdly creepy.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Pyrolocutus posted:

I go to a collegiate rec 2-3 times a week to lift. There are plenty of attractive women there, though I do my best not to creep. That Tech Bee image on the previous page still garners a "what the hell" reaction from me, because they literally show her, a trained soldier, without pants, in a thong bottom. Like, they had to purposefully do it that way. Attractive people in minimal clothing is Cool and Good in the right context, but this is so far from the right context that it just ends up weird. Weirdly creepy.

Do your best? So you just creep sometimes?

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!
I played in my first tournament on sunday, so here's a small report.
I'm a bit hazy on the details, so some things might be wrong.

We played by ITS rules. 3 matches in total. Having recently finished painting my Maghariba Guard, I couldn't help but take it with me to the tournament, so I went with a vanilla Haqqislam list.

First mission, Highly Classified vs Steel Phalanx. My opponent won the Lt. WIP roll en chose to go first.
This was going be really tough. My opponent had two three-man Myrmidon link teams (one with Phoenix, one with a Myrmidon officer), a three-man Thorakitai link headed by Trashymedes and, Achilles in hoplite armor and a remote.
My list only had two units to really deal with ODD, the heavy flamethrower on my Maghariba Guard and my Djanbazan Sniper.

My Fiday failed her WIP roll and dispersed right between the two Myrmidon links. Myrmidon officer went in for the kill and knocked her unconscious, followed by a coup de grace order, scoring him his first objective. Achilles then went on a rampage, destroying my TR bot, hacker and knocked my Djanbazan unconscious. Achilles moves a bit back and is placed in suppressive fire. My turn starts. I patched up the Djanbazan with a Ghulam doctor, scoring me one objective. My infiltrated Al Hawwa placed a d-charge on a designated building and detonates it. Two scored objectives for me! The Al Hawwa camouflages herself again and starts sneaking around. Some unlucky rolls later, she is discovered and is hit by a heavy rocket fired by Phoenix. She did manage to knock out two Myrmidons, so kind of a fair trade I guess? Turn 2 starts and the Thorakitai team starts moving up, succeeding an objective on my HVT. The link team with Thrasymedes in front starts shuffling back and forward past an alley, taking potshots at my Maghariba Guard. Maggie doesn't really manage to hit Thrasy but shrugs off his light rocket launcher shots. The link team moves closer and does the whole shuffle again, but this time Thrasy was in LOS of the Djanbazan sniper. Djanbazan sniper nails him with a crit, killing Thrasymedes immediately. The remaining Thorakitai paramedic and engineer move up and the engineer does the shuffle against my engineer. Engineer nails his engineer and he falls unconscious. Turns out my opponent had intended for this to happen, aiming to score an objective. Luckily for me, the paramedic went for a mercy kill, failing their WIP roll and killing off the engineer.
My second turn starts and I'm getting low on orders. The Thorakitai is finished off and I start moving a Ghulam forward observer around before putting a bunch of my units in suppressive fire. A very uneventful turn. Steel Phalanx turn 3, Achilles has set his sights on the Maghariba Guard and deftly sneaks around. He rushes out of a building into melee with Maggie, swinging down his mighty explosive sword. The Djanbazan Sniper takes another show while this is happening and Maggie starts roasting Achilles. End result, Achilles burnt to a crisp and Maggie exploded in a lot of tiny pieces. During this turn my opponent manages to score his own classified objective. He is currently in the lead. It's now my final turn. The Ghulam Forward observer continues moving forward and causes the Myrmidon office to throw down smoke while the Ghulam forward observers a Myrmidon part of Phoenix' link team, scoring me my own classified objective. This is where I make a mistake that cost me a victory. Happy that I finally targetted on of his troops, I call down a guided missile, killing the Myrmidon that was blocking LOS to my Ghulam. In my last few orders I try to enter the smoke, intending to get a coup de grace on one of the myrmidons, but the modifiers weren't in my favour trying to flash pulse Phoenix. The game ends in a 6-6 draw.

Second game. Supplies versus vanilla Yu Jing. My opponent and I made a lot of mistakes this game, we hadn't properly read the mission, leading to many errors. A frustrating game all in all. I won initiative and foolishly chose to go second. My opponent chose the better deployment zone and forced me to deploy first. This was my first huge mistake. The game starts. A celestial guard throws down some smoke and a Hsien with HMG destroys my TR bot. Due to my bad placement, a Dao Fei manages to sneak into building near my Maghariba Guard and has a hack off with my Ghulam hacker. After a while the Ghulam Hacker is immobilized and he attempts to total control Maggie. He succeeds, but with his last order. My turn. I spend a command token to undo the total control. I manage to kill a Zanshi and Celestial guard with my Fiday and due to not properly checking LOS, I get her killed because the Hsien could barely see her between some walls and walkways. After a frustrating reset and hack off between the Ghulam and Dao Fei, I finally manage to move Maggie away from the Dao Fei's ZOC and destroy the TR bot. I move my infiltrated Al Hawwa assault hacker towards the Dao Fei but a hidden deployed KHD Ninja reveals herself and goes in for the kill! Luckily the Al Hawwa manages to carbonite the Ninja and goes after the Dao Fei. 4 incredibly frustrating rolls later, where the two kept cancelling each other's shots, the Al Hawwa dies to a crit.
Yu Jing turn 2. The Dao Fei manages to take control of the Maghariba Guard again and this time has the orders to spare. Maggie goes on a rampage, killing my Djanbazan, engineer and a forward observer. The immobilized Ninja resets and manages to get one of the supplies. Another camo token reveals itself and grabs one of the other supplies. (I forgot which unit it was). They move towards my HVT and spotlight it. (Later it turns out my opponent looked wrong at his classified objective. Turns out he had to spotlight/forward observe one of my troops)
My turn 2, nothing much happens. Maggie is free again and I manage to reset my hacker and carbonite the Dao Fei again. I forgot to count one of my orders (my opponent also forgot to attack the same Ghulam with a posessed Maggie, so I kinda lucked out there as he was my lieutenant.) Yu Jing turn 3, same as my turn 2, some resets are attemped, some hacks are done and it was my turn again. On my final turn I start rushing Maggie forward, destroying his TR bot which had been a thorn in my side. Maggie lays down the fire on the Ninja, killing her, before rushing to the corpse. I had one order too little, or I could've picked up the supply, which would've lead into a draw. The game ended 6-0 for Yu Jing (could've been 1-1 if I had that one order!)

Final game. Capture and protect against vanilla Aleph. Having learned from my previous game, I chose to go first after winning initiative. My Al Hawwa deployed near one of the energy consoles and activates it. My Fiday deployed behind Machaon and puts down a mine near him. He manages to dodge out of LOS from the mine. Next order I move around with the Fiday and opt for shotgun. This time Machaon wasn't so lucky and bit the dust. While this happened, a proxy sniper fired at my Fiday, but she luckily made her armor save and took cover behind some crates. Maggie starts stomping forward and takes out the proxy. I move my troops forward some more and Maggie sadly got in range of a hacker. Luckily she makes the reset save and that's the end of my turn. The hacker has Maggie in her sights and attempts to Overlord her. Luckily she stands strong and either keeps winning the resets or the BTS saves, until the combat group's last order, where she finally fails the saves. My opponent moves some units around in a combined order after throwing down smoke, too bad for him he forgot my Djanbazan has MSV2. He takes a shot at the Sophotect but fails the roll. Patroclus starts flanking around on the other side and starts harassing my troops.
Turn 2 I once again have a Ghulam forward observer flanking around, managing to forward observe the Sophotect. Missile chicken bot fires a missile and nails it, injuring the Sophotect, destroying a Dactini, a Myrmidon and a Netrod. The sophotect doesn't bother to roll a guts check and moves into cover close to the HVT, so no more missile tricks for me due to human shield tactics :crossarms:. The Ghulam continues on and puts an end to the Sophotect and Netrod with his shotgun. (I'm really starting to love shotguns on nearly all my troops). Aleph turn 2 starts and Patroclus also rushes out of a building going for Maggie. The Al Hawaa shoots the wrong holoprojector clone while Maggie turns up the heat, inflicting a wound and burning off Patroclus' ODD. After that Maggie and Patroclus trade a shitload of blows, the TAG making a ridiculous amount of armor saves before finally going unconscious in my opponent's last order.
Turn 3 starts! My Najjarun goes in to avenge Maggie and double shotguns Patroclus twice in the back, ending him. He then fixes up Maggie again. At this point I realize my opponent is pretty close to being in retreat and he still hasn't achieved an objective. I rush in my Al Hawwa close to his Proxy hacker and another hack off happens. The Proxy is hit by Carbonite, so I move in to finish the job with a boarding shotgun. The Al Hawwa manages to completely miss the Proxy at point blank range and the Proxy resets. The Al Hawwa shoots again but is knocked unconscious by a nanopulser in return. At this point my turn ends. Turn 3 Aleph. My opponent counts orders and is a few points in retreat, so the game ends right there. Due to scoring a single objective, I win the game 4-3.

Well, that report ended up longer than expected. Mistakes were made by me and some things would've definitely gone different had I known properly how certain rules worked. For example, I didn't realize a posessed trooper has a different statblock.
Hindsigh is 20/20 and I probably would've done better if I went for my other list which had an additional assault piece and an AD hacker. I didn't really have any offensive pieces other than my Maghariba.
I did end up taking 3rd place at the tournament, so that was a nice surprise!

There's still one question I have in relation to shotguns. From what I understand, you don't get a cover bonus to your arm roll from template weapons. I was told during the tournament that the unit I was shooting with my shotgun does get a +3 armor save from cover, but everything else under the template doesn't. Is that correct? Or was my hunch right? It would've made a difference during the matches.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

MG42 posted:

There's still one question I have in relation to shotguns. From what I understand, you don't get a cover bonus to your arm roll from template weapons. I was told during the tournament that the unit I was shooting with my shotgun does get a +3 armor save from cover, but everything else under the template doesn't. Is that correct? Or was my hunch right? It would've made a difference during the matches.

You were correct. You don't get the armor bonus from cover for an armor roll made against any template weapon.

Looks like you had a good tournament; two games against ALEPH of any variety is no small feat!

The Sophotect choosing to not roll guts and backing off to use an HVT as a human shield.... I know Sophie has V: NWI, but I didn't think that the Valour rules stacked. So I don't think she has courage; meaning she would of had to roll and fail her guts check in order to do that. You can't optionally choose to fail your guts roll unless you have V: Courage. Does anyone else know?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Cat Face Joe posted:

Never Use The Ignore Function; Always Poast With Honor™
Life's too short to suffer idiots you can't punch in the face.

Sir Teabag posted:

The Sophotect choosing to not roll guts and backing off to use an HVT as a human shield.... I know Sophie has V: NWI, but I didn't think that the Valour rules stacked. So I don't think she has courage; meaning she would of had to roll and fail her guts check in order to do that. You can't optionally choose to fail your guts roll unless you have V: Courage. Does anyone else know?
Numbered levels include all previous ones unless specified or "Level X", so yes, she has Courage.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Nov 14, 2016

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Sir Teabag posted:

Looks like you had a good tournament; two games against ALEPH of any variety is no small feat!

As a brand new player to the game, statements like this kind of worry me, because it kind of says that the whole "factions are well balanced" is as much bullshit as with every other mini game I've played, because now I read it as "everyone is balanced except ALEPH, who are better than everyone else"

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Khisanth Magus posted:

As a brand new player to the game, statements like this kind of worry me, because it kind of says that the whole "factions are well balanced" is as much bullshit as with every other mini game I've played, because now I read it as "everyone is balanced except ALEPH, who are better than everyone else"

Aleph isn't better than everyone else, they're just annoying and can take tailored strategies to beat.

MrSquarepants
Jul 4, 2012
Aleph is balanced, they can just be a challenge for new players to deal with because Achilles is such a unique threat. But like most things in most games, once you've seen it once you know to look out for it, and hopefully you understand how to stop it.

It's the same thing with Van Zant. He will likely auto win you a game against a new player who has never heard of him before, but he is by no means overpowered.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

MrSquarepants posted:

It's the same thing with Van Zant. He will likely auto win you a game against a new player who has never heard of him before, but he is by no means overpowered.

Yup. I played against a USAriadna player who had previously played a friend who knew nothing about Van Zant. After that particular tip-off, I made sure I set up with him in mind and it stopped the guy from coming on the board until the second turn and a smoke dodge pretty much neutralised him, until he was moved into a position which triggered 4 different AROs, 2 of which were in suppressive fire and another was a TR bot.

Over the weekend I played a game against the same player with my Nomads, where I used a Hidden Deployment buff - making a show of writing something down on my private list during deployment, and making comments about a Spektr during the game. This is acceptable in our meta (and he made similar comments about bringing on Van Zant, even though I knew he couldn't have that in his list due to points) but is this seen as bullshit by other people?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Aleph is for nerds.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

glitchkrieg posted:

making a show of writing something down on my private list during deployment, and making comments about a Spektr during the game. This is acceptable in our meta (and he made similar comments about bringing on Van Zant, even though I knew he couldn't have that in his list due to points) but is this seen as bullshit by other people?
Standard mindfuck. I like the method of making pics of the HD positions with a phone, and if there are none you take a pic of the opponent's head because that's the only place they exist :v:

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!

Sir Teabag posted:

You were correct. You don't get the armor bonus from cover for an armor roll made against any template weapon.

Thanks for clearing that up :)
Yeah, it was a very fun tournament despite my second game. I did learn a lot from that game though.

My opponent was kind enough to explain to me how to deal with Achilles in the future. Flamethrowers, hackers, templates and in Haqqislam's case, Ghazis. Think I'll pick up a box of them soon and maybe some Naffatuns.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Pierzak posted:

Standard mindfuck. I like the method of making pics of the HD positions with a phone, and if there are none you take a pic of the opponent's head because that's the only place they exist :v:

The thing I'd written down, which I showed him on the last turn of the game, was "I do not have anything in Hidden Deployment" :v:

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Pierzak posted:

I'm stealing this!

Its not bullshit because it's not my fault what he believes I have in my list. I didn't lie to him, I just made it easier for him to trick himself into thinking I had hidden deployment. I could've been writing "remember to buy milk" for that matter.

Not a viking fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Nov 14, 2016

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

grogs.txt needs to come back ASAP. The official forums are attempting to have a conversation about why the tech bee outfit and it's basically boiling down to "but muh tiny metal titties!"

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
I am incredibly dismayed about the Tech-Bee thing, not least because my local store has a strict, by-the-book policy about proxies and conversions in ITS events (if it has a model that can reasonably be bought, you are not allowed to use counts-as, conversions or proxies, with basically no leeway given). So if I want to use an Engineer in Pan-O, my choices are the frankly terrible Machinist model, the Cutter bootleg girl or that (because for some reason the usual TO has categorically said a Tech-Bee counts as a Machinist).

If that leads to us not getting a resculpted and not ugly as sin Pan-O support pack for a while I will be mightly irked.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

MG42 posted:

I played in my first tournament on sunday, so here's a small report.
I'm a bit hazy on the details, so some things might be wrong.

Well done, and that's a great write-up. It sounds as if you've had some of those games where you can really see afterward that 1 decision was crucial, which is the main way to improve, at least for me. I would say it seems like you and your opponents both sometimes got really focussed on trying to hack against another hacker. Usually, unless I was using a KHD, I wouldn't try to tacke out another hacker that way except in ARO. It's too even a chance to be a good use of orders. I would save hacking for targets that can't hack back and are high-value. Often, a quick couple moves followed by a shotgun will be more decisive than repeated hacking attempts. A huge tough thing like your Maghariba Guard is vulnerable to hacking in a way it isn't to conventional weapons. But most hackers are, if anything, easier to kill with shooting.

Pierzak posted:

glitchkrieg posted:

The thing I'd written down, which I showed him on the last turn of the game, was "I do not have anything in Hidden Deployment" :v:

These are both awesome ideas.

Bob Smith posted:

I am incredibly dismayed about the Tech-Bee thing, not least because my local store has a strict, by-the-book policy about proxies and conversions in ITS events (if it has a model that can reasonably be bought, you are not allowed to use counts-as, conversions or proxies, with basically no leeway given). So if I want to use an Engineer in Pan-O, my choices are the frankly terrible Machinist model, the Cutter bootleg girl or that (because for some reason the usual TO has categorically said a Tech-Bee counts as a Machinist).

If that leads to us not getting a resculpted and not ugly as sin Pan-O support pack for a while I will be mightly irked.

Your local store must be filled with a bunch of complete wankers. Proxies, maybe some people are draconian about, but conversions!? Who the hell has a problem with that?

Cat Face Joe posted:

grogs.txt needs to come back ASAP. The official forums are attempting to have a conversation about why the tech bee outfit and it's basically boiling down to "but muh tiny metal titties!"

That place is a sewer. It's really evident when that conversation inevitably comes up that a) the international nature of the posters brings up some very far-flung oldschool bigots, with different ideas about how the world works and b) they have like one moderator, who never bans or scolds anyone. He just drifts up and says "hey . . . hey now, hey . . . " while people melt down.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?

Genghis Cohen posted:

Your local store must be filled with a bunch of complete wankers. Proxies, maybe some people are draconian about, but conversions!? Who the hell has a problem with that?

I can only assume some time ago people took the piss something terrible, because nowadays the only conversions allowed are weapon swaps. Anything that uses a different base troop and makes it into something else is looked down upon. I converted an Odalisque into an Asura because I hated the Asura's pose by giving it an Aleph head, Aleph Spitfire and used Asura arms for the hexagons and doll joints and was told I probably wouldn't be allowed to use it in an ITC because "there's an Asura model."

It seems to be a very strict reading of the ITS rules and I appreciate why they do it (we had a casual game I remember recently where someone hadn't glued any weapons on their remotes and someone ended up walking in front of a TR bot they had forgotten wasn't the baggage bot because they all looked the same), but at the same time it feels a bit harsh.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I saw some sweet-as-hell conversions at GenCon this year, all being played in an ITS-format event. Seriously, anybody who gives you crap for using CB minis for a conversion - especially one whose troop type is obviously apparent - has a stick up their rear end. I've never seen anyone balk at proxies or conversions.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

I try to paint all the boob windows, midriff and skimpy bits as fabric from like nanosuits or whatever, but I am definitely glad that I have moved to playing Nomads and Yu Jing instead of PanO lately.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Bob Smith posted:

I can only assume some time ago people took the piss something terrible, because nowadays the only conversions allowed are weapon swaps. Anything that uses a different base troop and makes it into something else is looked down upon. I converted an Odalisque into an Asura because I hated the Asura's pose by giving it an Aleph head, Aleph Spitfire and used Asura arms for the hexagons and doll joints and was told I probably wouldn't be allowed to use it in an ITC because "there's an Asura model."

It seems to be a very strict reading of the ITS rules and I appreciate why they do it (we had a casual game I remember recently where someone hadn't glued any weapons on their remotes and someone ended up walking in front of a TR bot they had forgotten wasn't the baggage bot because they all looked the same), but at the same time it feels a bit harsh.

That is... awful. I think 90% of my group would quit the game if our community forced rules like that. Infinity's models are sweet but the way CB releases them is so hostile to WYSIWYG armies there's just no way it would fly. I'm not going to buy a $40 box of REMs just so I can have a second HMG that's so small most of my opponents can't even see it from across the table.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I don't think I've ever seen a single conversion turned away locally. Even outright proxies have been allowed in limited quantity. Definitely not cool to bar when parts of the original model are being used.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

TheTofuShop posted:

I try to paint all the boob windows, midriff and skimpy bits as fabric from like nanosuits or whatever, but I am definitely glad that I have moved to playing Nomads and Yu Jing instead of PanO lately.

This is what I was going to suggest. If the model offends you so much just paint some pants on it, no one is going to notice.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Alternatively, paint her in the thong, but then add bushes and shrubbery all around her waist high.

That dastardly Achilles stole her pants when she was answering nature's call

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

Pierzak posted:

Diabolical! :monocle:

I love it.

Bob Smith posted:

No proxies.... unless they are sexy ladies. :yikes:

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Bob Smith posted:

I ran into this when I was still playing 40K, I had a week out of town for work and brought my Grey Knights with me. Went into a local store and found a pickup game, we were getting out our armies and the guy tells me that my assassins weren't legal. Ironically I was using my Oniwaban as a Callidus & a Spektr Sniper or something as my Vindicare.

It took me like 15 minutes to get him to be okay with it, but the whole game he kept obnoxiously clarifying which was which. After the game he was talking about how my list wasn't technically legal because of my "Proxies" and then went on and on how 40k was a much superior game to Infinity. Then he showed me his Khorne tattoo.

I'm really glad I stopped playing 40k, cause the handful of dudes at my LGS now who play infinity are cool dudes, even though most of my tabletop gaming is between a couple close friends at home.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

TheTofuShop posted:

I ran into this when I was still playing 40K, I had a week out of town for work and brought my Grey Knights with me. Went into a local store and found a pickup game, we were getting out our armies and the guy tells me that my assassins weren't legal. Ironically I was using my Oniwaban as a Callidus & a Spektr Sniper or something as my Vindicare.

It took me like 15 minutes to get him to be okay with it, but the whole game he kept obnoxiously clarifying which was which. After the game he was talking about how my list wasn't technically legal because of my "Proxies" and then went on and on how 40k was a much superior game to Infinity. Then he showed me his Khorne tattoo.

I'm really glad I stopped playing 40k, cause the handful of dudes at my LGS now who play infinity are cool dudes, even though most of my tabletop gaming is between a couple close friends at home.

I mean, fifteen minutes not playing 40K is 15 minutes well spent. :rimshot:

One guy I met once or twice tried to convince me (over FB no less) I had made a grave error selling my Imperial Guard and buying Infinity with the money. Like, he couldn't believe I would abandon the true faith for an inferior game with lovely models (paraphrasing). I never actually played a game with him, but that didn't stop him from sending me pictures of his most recent several-hundred-dollar purchase from GW every few weeks. Bullet dodged. I keep him on my FB because he occasionally posts about his strange world views, and I get a kick out of it.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I know the Australian community has had trouble with Proxies in the past. Usually it's Ariadna players, and they want to substitute the entire army for military miniatures. The majority is usually against this, and they normally get pretty salty when they're called out on this. Doubly so because CB isn't exactly a big company, and provides rules for free, so substituting an entire army feels like you're ripping them off.

From a gameplay perspective, Infinity is probably the miniature wargame that requires the most clarity in miniatures, as confusion over a single model can lead to slow play. I tend to map out the pathways I'm going to take in my active turn in advance, readjusting them as my opponent spends orders. Being able to tell, at a glance, what sort of firelane I'm sending an Aragato into saves us both time, especially in a game where there are so many special rules and pieces of equipment. Clarity helps here, doubly so if you're one of the people that tries to anticipate what could be hiding in the wings. I don't think there's anything wrong with a cool conversion here or there, models just need to be visually similar enough to what they are that your opponent shouldn't need clarification.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

As an extra to the "standard mindfuck" tactic, one of our club's most experienced players was completely blindsided by a Hidden Deployment piece when his opponent brought out a pretty accurate hand drawn version of the map in front of them and a big X. He'd been slyly doing it out-of-sight during the other player's deployment and made no reference to it until the grand reveal.

So it can work both ways, and you don't even need a photo to do so. :v:

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Clawtopsy posted:

I know the Australian community has had trouble with Proxies in the past. Usually it's Ariadna players, and they want to substitute the entire army for military miniatures. The majority is usually against this, and they normally get pretty salty when they're called out on this. Doubly so because CB isn't exactly a big company, and provides rules for free, so substituting an entire army feels like you're ripping them off.

From a gameplay perspective, Infinity is probably the miniature wargame that requires the most clarity in miniatures, as confusion over a single model can lead to slow play. I tend to map out the pathways I'm going to take in my active turn in advance, readjusting them as my opponent spends orders. Being able to tell, at a glance, what sort of firelane I'm sending an Aragato into saves us both time, especially in a game where there are so many special rules and pieces of equipment. Clarity helps here, doubly so if you're one of the people that tries to anticipate what could be hiding in the wings. I don't think there's anything wrong with a cool conversion here or there, models just need to be visually similar enough to what they are that your opponent shouldn't need clarification.

Now if only it was easier to actually have minis with the weapons you want. Sometimes it is helped by 2 units having basically identical models(zero/spektr), but there are just so many model + weapon combinations that there is no model for, and to make it worse CB doesn't actually sell additional weapons that you can convert a mini to use, outside of certain models that are kind of considered proxy models that come with a variety of weapons(vortex spec ops).

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

dexefiend posted:

Alternatively, paint her in the thong, but then add bush
My mind jammed the first time I read this.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Khisanth Magus posted:

Now if only it was easier to actually have minis with the weapons you want. Sometimes it is helped by 2 units having basically identical models(zero/spektr), but there are just so many model + weapon combinations that there is no model for, and to make it worse CB doesn't actually sell additional weapons that you can convert a mini to use, outside of certain models that are kind of considered proxy models that come with a variety of weapons(vortex spec ops).

I have met the guy who run's Antenociti's Workshop and been round his workshop (they make and sell resin bits, resin and wood terrain, metal and resin vehicles/figures etc) and while he has been provided sprues of all the factions' weapons (this predates their CAD sculpting, when they did them traditionally they used case weapons to keep size/design consistent), those are explicitly not for sale, and part of his license from CB is to not sell anything 'Designed for Infinity' with recognisable weapons on it. I imagine they think it will hurt sales in some way, or maybe it's just not part of their vision. Thong-clad engineering sexbots obviously are part of that vision, so presumably corrective lenses are in order.

I personally like converting in general, and still do it with Infinity. Usually simple arm/weapon swaps can be done with minimal cutting, as can re-posing. The hardest bit is planning it out for minimum 'wastage' of models bough solely for bits - I try to work out swaps so that every model bought turns into a usable profile on the table. What always surprises me on the internet is how people (nerds are terrible for this) split themselves into camps based on do you convert, do you paint your models, would you be ok with X or Y? Some people really need to have a discussion to confirm that what they do is right, and hence other peoples' methods are wrong, in order to enjoy themselves.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

As someone who has played a fair amount of Infinity for a number of years, I'll admit I still have problems recognizing 100% of the models, especially for armies I don't play myself. But I thought it was always standard practice to run through every deployed model and their load out once they're dropped down. I've never had any problems with mistaking something for something else this way, and will always confirm a model's load out if I'm unsure.

That being said I've never come across an entire proxy army, but I think that with load outs it's a pretty open information game (for what's visible at least), so just check with your opponent before rushing out into a REM with a missile launcher that's actually a TR bot. I honestly think there's zero reason to be so finicky with what's on the board as long as your opponent isn't being intentionally misleading about it.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Hortism posted:

As someone who has played a fair amount of Infinity for a number of years, I'll admit I still have problems recognizing 100% of the models, especially for armies I don't play myself. But I thought it was always standard practice to run through every deployed model and their load out once they're dropped down. I've never had any problems with mistaking something for something else this way, and will always confirm a model's load out if I'm unsure.

That being said I've never come across an entire proxy army, but I think that with load outs it's a pretty open information game (for what's visible at least), so just check with your opponent before rushing out into a REM with a missile launcher that's actually a TR bot. I honestly think there's zero reason to be so finicky with what's on the board as long as your opponent isn't being intentionally misleading about it.

Yeah, I have personally never or almost never seen anyone run into a bad mistake or unwanted ARO simply from forgetting what a model really is. If I was at all cloudy on that fact, I just ask - it's quite common, for more complex models with several weapons/skills, to ask what they have before moving into LoF.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Indeed, and in friendly games, most people are cool with letting you back up if you're about to unknowingly do something stupid like jump out in front of a TR bot in the +3 range band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Pierzak, you are a beautiful human being, Goon sir. :golfclap:

• Locked thread