Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Ice To Meet You posted:

This is a bit silly

It's almost a uniform Verlander #1 and Porcello #2 and Porcello still wins. I wonder if Verlander flipped the TB sportswriters off on a road trip or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Whew, for a minute I was worried all the voters would make nothing but correct choices this year.

Ya how could 1B win over 1A and 1C and 1D in both leagues!

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

Pancakes posted:

Adam Wainwright and Trevor Hoffman.

was the wainwright one when law left him off or down the ballot or something

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Lol saying your boyfriend deserved the Cy Young doesn't redeem All Lives Matter bullshit, sorry.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Scob posted:

was the wainwright one when law left him off or down the ballot or something

Timmy, then Carp, then Waino at 100, 94 and 90 respectively in 2009.

Lincecum: 11 first, 12 second, 9 third.
Carpenter: 9 first, 14 second, 7 third.
Wainwright: 12 first, 5 second, 15 third.

Everyone voted for both Wainwright and Lincecum, Keith Law and Will Carroll left Carpenter off their ballots.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

yeah its coming back to me now, thanks

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Pancakes posted:

Timmy, then Carp, then Waino at 100, 94 and 90 respectively in 2009.

Lincecum: 11 first, 12 second, 9 third.
Carpenter: 9 first, 14 second, 7 third.
Wainwright: 12 first, 5 second, 15 third.

Everyone voted for both Wainwright and Lincecum, Keith Law and Will Carroll left Carpenter off their ballots.

Law's ballot at least made sense.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Obviously those sportswriters thought Justin Verlander was going to get the most first-place votes anyways, so they figured he didn't need their votes. So they were half right. :v:

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neodoomium posted:

Senor Smoke and Willie Hernandez were the last good Tigers Relievers

Someone forgot about the 14 minutes of Joel Zumaya before he flew too close to the sun and his elbow melted.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Law's ballot at least made sense.

No love for Dan Haren on Carroll's ballot?

Fun fact: Wainwright has the largest "share" of any player in CY Young votes to have never won the award.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/mvp_cya.shtml

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Rand alPaul posted:

Someone forgot about the 14 minutes of Joel Zumaya before he flew too close to the sun and his elbow melted.

Same with Joe Nathan and his 27 K/9 in 2015

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

:laugh:

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Vin Scully's phone-answering voice is fantastic. It reminds me of my grandfather.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Tender Bender posted:

Lol saying your boyfriend deserved the Cy Young doesn't redeem All Lives Matter bullshit, sorry.

It very clearly doesn't, and I was just assuming/hoping that poster was exaggerating, like the ones who said that a Trump presidency was worth the Cubs winning the WS.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was kidding. Of course it doesn't. But Upton's tweet today was quite awesome.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

YeahTubaMike posted:

It very clearly doesn't, and I was just assuming/hoping that poster was exaggerating, like the ones who said that a Trump presidency was worth the Cubs winning the WS.

Cubs Championships Matter. :colbert:

Seriously though, here's some actual baseball (read: Cubs) -related stuff:

https://twitter.com/ArchbishopBlase/status/798505110636822528?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Here's an interesting article about Mike Montgomery, (who's quickly become one of my favorite Cubs) ending with his Game 7 save. The never-before-seen angle of the final out is cool.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

New Concept Hole posted:

Obviously those sportswriters thought Justin Verlander was going to get the most first-place votes anyways, so they figured he didn't need their votes. So they were half right. :v:

Justin Verlander got Hillary Clinton'd.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

YeahTubaMike posted:

imo, people should stop making jokes on this, the Something Awful Dot Com Forums.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Gonz posted:

Verlander lost the Cy Young because two voters left him off their ballots entirely.

Those people should be waterboarded. Porcello? What a fuckin joke.

https://twitter.com/BradGalli/status/799038093315764224

Porcello backing into the Cy Young due more to voter stupidity than anything else is fine if a Red Sock has to win it.

I'm sad Tanaka wasn't in the top 5 though.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

VJeff posted:

imo, people should stop making jokes on this, the Something Awful Dot Com Forums.

Also, if we could make literally everything about politics I think everyone's experience would greatly improve

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

VJeff posted:

not every fastball finds the strike zone

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
So it turns out that one of the Tampa Bay voters went to fewer than 10 baseball games this entire season.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Gonz posted:

So it turns out that one of the Tampa Bay voters went to fewer than 10 baseball games this entire season.

I'm not sure why you're against writing from the fan's perspective.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Gonz posted:

The other sent his ballot in mid-September, not thinking anything would change his mind to end the year.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

AsInHowe posted:

The other sent his ballot in mid-September, not thinking anything would change his mind to end the year.

Florida.txt

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Sydin posted:

~pitcher wins~

That was true when Ricky Romero was going 10-5 with a 5.50 era on the jays a few years back. But Happ is legit a top 20 MLB starter having a fantastic season. He deserved to be in consideration, no where close to winning,but an honourable mention.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
So if you guys are desperate for some baseball, the ABL starts tonight. Canberra at Brisbane on right now

https://youtu.be/KwiS9mkneL4

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

patonthebach posted:

That was true when Ricky Romero was going 10-5 with a 5.50 era on the jays a few years back. But Happ is legit a top 20 MLB starter having a fantastic season. He deserved to be in consideration, no where close to winning,but an honourable mention.

He went 8-1 with a 4.34 ERA, and I remember there was a lot of discussion in the media about how he was pitching to the score.

Then he finished the season going 1-13 with a 7.35 ERA, and that was basically it for Romero's career.

The 2012 Blue Jays had a stellar rotation of Alvarez, Romero, Morrow (who was a possible Cy Young candidate before he, surprise, went down with an injury), Aaron Laffey, Drabek, and Hutchison. What a miserable season.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Julio Cruz posted:

I can see voting for Porcello over Verlander because it's really close, but not putting Verlander on at all just makes no sense unless they're voting Porcello/Happ/Kluber entirely based on ~winz~

This, but the AP guy from Tampa voted Tanaka over Verlander in spite of less wins for Tanaka (but a better Win%) which just seems like a gently caress Justin Verlander vote. The MLB.com writer voted for Sanchez with his final vote, rather than Happ, because ~ERA~ even though Happ pitched 30 less innings than Verlander.

It's difficult to swallow how arbitrarily people fill out the ballots. It's like they have a different set of standards for each spot.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

A's managing partner Lew Wolff stepped down and is selling his share of the team. I guess some A's fans are happy because it looks like that may be a positive development in regards to a future stadium? I don't know enough about that whole situation to be sure. With the Raiders probably leaving Oakland I think that's good for the A's

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

FlamingLiberal posted:

A's managing partner Lew Wolff stepped down and is selling his share of the team. I guess some A's fans are happy because it looks like that may be a positive development in regards to a future stadium? I don't know enough about that whole situation to be sure. With the Raiders probably leaving Oakland I think that's good for the A's

I feel that if the Raiders leave, the Coliseum will be a good stadium once they tear down Mt. Davis and install working toilets

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Gonz posted:

I have this magic box that lets me watch baseball without attending the game :v:

tadashi posted:

This, but the AP guy from Tampa voted Tanaka over Verlander in spite of less wins for Tanaka (but a better Win%) which just seems like a gently caress Justin Verlander vote. The MLB.com writer voted for Sanchez with his final vote, rather than Happ, because ~ERA~ even though Happ pitched 30 less innings than Verlander.

It's difficult to swallow how arbitrarily people fill out the ballots. It's like they have a different set of standards for each spot.

I feel like this is in part AL East solidarity except wait wtf since when is division solidarity a thing

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

The biggest news isn't that Wolff stepped down - though that's certainly a major development - but that the A's hired Dave Kaval away from the San Jose Earthquakes. Kaval was hired by the Quakes just as they were beginning to move forward with their search for a new stadium. That whole process went about as smoothly as a project in California can go, and because much of the A's ownership group also owns the Quakes, they had a pretty hands-on experience with how Kaval managed the development of Avaya Stadium.

I'm pretty sure the ownership group brought Kaval to Oakland specifically so he could oversee team operations while they move forward with their plans for a new ballpark, but we'll see soon enough. Pretty much every statement from the team today has referenced a future ballpark in Oakland, so I'd say things are definitely about to get a little more interesting.

:pray:

Carlosologist posted:

I feel that if the Raiders leave, the Coliseum will be a good stadium once they tear down Mt. Davis and install working toilets

Nope. I love watching games there, but the Coliseum is trash. Hell, the City/County still owes about $120M on the 1995 renovations that added that monstrosity.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Senf posted:

Nope. I love watching games there, but the Coliseum is trash. Hell, the City/County still owes about $120M on the 1995 renovations that added that monstrosity.

I did not know that. I hope the A's stay in Oakland, there's no reason why they should move if they're putting competent people in charge

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Senf posted:

Isn't Seattle still paying off the Kingdome?

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

bad boy in the boy band posted:

Isn't Seattle still paying off the Kingdome?

Finished it off last year, roughly 15 years after being imploded.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/799376908966305792

This is a very boring trade!

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The Yanks traded Brian McCann and cash to the Astros for Albert Abreu and Jorge Guzman

that seems kind of... light? I have no idea who these guys are

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah that was not much of a return

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

I feel extremely good about it

• Locked thread