Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Sakurazuka posted:

lol I wonder if it has anything to do with complaints that the English dub people can't even pronounce main characters names properly

Why not just change the names then? wouldn't be the first time they do it anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

El Hefe posted:

Why not just change the names then? wouldn't be the first time they do it anyway

lol Yeah that would go down even better

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Ometeotl posted:

They said that Persona 5 was PS4 exclusive back when it was delayed to February so I'm not sure why it's news now.

it wasnt then and isnt now so

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Sakurazuka posted:

lol Yeah that would go down even better

I mean, Teddie isn't called that in Japan and they've changed a lot of other names too.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

LawfulWaffle posted:

It's a running gag, like the F*R*I*E*N*D*S adventure game and saying the Neptunia games are good. Just roll with it.

I fall for that last one every single time and feel like a moron when I do.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

glam rock hamhock posted:

loving hell Atlus. I would say that gives me time to play Nier II but the fact we've heard nothing on that front for a bit makes me doubt that's actually coming out in February like they originally claimed.

It is out in feb in japan. Us release date is not confirmed

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

El Hefe posted:

I mean, Teddie isn't called that in Japan and they've changed a lot of other names too.

I don't really know what other names they changed but Teddy was a special case because his name reflected a very specific thing about him, also all the bear puns wouldn't work properly. :v: I assume companies with fanatical fanbases like Atlus try and keep drastic changes to a minimum because they know how badly the internet can react to even benign ones.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

LawfulWaffle posted:

Shine on you crazy diamond.

I'm thinking about making a Japanese PSN account so I can grab the FFXV Judgement Disc demo. It looks like a simple enough process. Will this open the door to "import" titles? Are there any games I should look into that maybe don't require a ton of reading Japanese? I think the last trip into unlocalized gaming was with Segagaga on the Dreamcast. It left a lasting impression but was utterly inscrutable.

It's a fairly straightforward process but PS4 has always been region free so nothing in the past has stopped you from importing games

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

It is out in feb in japan. Us release date is not confirmed

Yeah, I looked it up after posting that. :sigh:

At least I have GR2 around that time (because it too was delayed).

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I don't really know what other names they changed but Teddy was a special case because his name reflected a very specific thing about him, also all the bear puns wouldn't work properly. :v: I assume companies with fanatical fanbases like Atlus try and keep drastic changes to a minimum because they know how badly the internet can react to even benign ones.

Persona 4 also first came out 8 years ago when people weren't mad about vagina bones.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

In Training posted:

It's a fairly straightforward process but PS4 has always been region free so nothing in the past has stopped you from importing games

That's fair, but the PSN has different offerings for different regions, right? I was thinking something that would be digital only/cheaper than PlayAsia or whatever. It's probably not as big a deal now as it was during the PSX era, but I was just seeing if there was a stand out title that never made it across the pond that I should look into. Not a big deal; I'll probably make the account, play the demo a few times, then get it on release day and have a Japanese account on the system forever and ever, just sitting there unused.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Persona 5 already changed Anne to Ann which I think we can all agree a sin unlike any other and demands a full boycott of Atlus games until it is fixed.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Am I gonna have to be versed in earlier Persona games to enjoy P5? Because I'm not, but it looks incredible so I want in.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

nope

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

I mean you should play 3/4 because they're great games and it'll tell you if you like the format of 5, since it's largely the same.

But they're not related, no.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
And now you have BONUS TIME to play them in before P5 comes out.

Ha ha.

Ha.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

every day is great at your junes

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Every day young life Ju-ne-su

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Persona 5 has some things which kind of assume you played previous Persona games but not enough that it'd be seriously damaged if you didn't. It just likes to play around with assumptions a little.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I remember that Atlus had a really rough time with PS2 emulation on the PS3. To the point where they said certain games would be literally impossible to get to work. I think Nocturne was one of those. They eventually got those "impossible" games to work but they had a really hard time of it. I might be imagining it, but I also seem to remember Sony almost immediately pulling some of Atlus' PS2 Classics after release because of game-breaking emulation bugs until Atlus got it straightened out (the Digital Devil Saga games, maybe?)

Not sure I'd hold out a lot of hope for Atlus PS2 to PS4.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Getsuya posted:

I fall for that last one every single time and feel like a moron when I do.

all nep is good

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Not wanting to be outdone by decade old delays like ff15 and last guardian, atlus delays a game they released already.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Crazy stuff, these video games

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Attitude Indicator posted:

Not wanting to be outdone by decade old delays like ff15 and last guardian, atlus delays a game they released already.

That's the thing, fir most of these games they at least have the excuse of needing to finish the game and unexpected things coming up. Delaying a translation two more months just seems like bad planning.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That's the thing, fir most of these games they at least have the excuse of needing to finish the game and unexpected things coming up. Delaying a translation two more months just seems like bad planning.

Translations are not hitting a button that makes the words English. They involve inserting text which can often break things because English text and Japanese text are not a 1-for-1 replacement. Sometimes very serious issues can come up which turn what should be a simple part of translation into something more complex.

There are several games which have literally broken things in translation and sometimes it isn't easy to find because a QA person has to test a whole lot of poo poo.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
The real reason its because Atlus are relatively small and Persona 5 is a niche title with a somewhat small budget.

Bethesda can do it because their poo poo games sell a billion copies each.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

El Hefe posted:

The real reason its because Atlus are relatively small and Persona 5 is a niche title with a somewhat small budget.

Bethesda can do it because their poo poo games sell a billion copies each.

Another thing to note is "this game was translated at launch' and "This game was translated WELL at launch" are not the same thing. A lot of games translated into other languages have poo poo translations that get accepted because nobody is paying much attention to the German guy talking about how awful the translation is. A lot of the "this game is in 6 languages" translations are not what you'd call a high-quality translation, just passable enough to get by.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Umh yeah, its still inept and funny though

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

I only found out after the fact, but that they had an entire stream to say "Game's delayed!" is hilarious. Imagine tuning into that.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm not saying that translating is easy, I'm just saying its a thing where you know how much text and voice you have to deal with going in and really should have a good idea how long that should take, especially when you've been doing this as long as Atlus.

thejacob
Feb 13, 2014

Lemon-Lime posted:

I agree, the only form of music that isn't trash for garbage idiots is 16th century chamber music.

I also agree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzJR21GLSDg&t=45s

They really dont make music worth listening to anymore.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

With text-heavy games, localization can and has caused unexpected issues in the past. Look at any number of obscure, region-specific gamebreakers or stalled loc jobs.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It would be inept if they released a bad translation. This is the opposite of inept

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm not saying that translating is easy, I'm just saying its a thing where you know how much text and voice you have to deal with going in and really should have a good idea how long that should take, especially when you've been doing this as long as Atlus.

It isn't just about knowing how much there is. The literal act of inserting stuff can break things and break things in really loving weird ways. Even games designed with localization in mind can suffer from this and Persona 5 doesn't just have to insert text it has to change visuals and graphics too and that can break even more stuff.

Edit: Hell, one thing I can say right off the bat: The Japanese version of P5 only allows English names that are like... 4-5 characters long. You couldn't name your character Malcolm. So either they're stuck with a heavily restrictive English name limit or else they have to figure out how to adjust that and in doing so they now have to check every single place in the game that the protagonist's name is used to make sure it doesn't break things.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

if they have a ton of voiced cutscenes they need to go in there and rework them all so that the timing of when people are talking is correct in a different language.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Is P5 affected by the voice actor strike?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Persona 5 is gonna be awesome.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Super No Vacancy posted:

it wasnt then and isnt now so

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

thats the special edition. if they canceled the ps3 version months ago they probably should have taken it off their website and alerted their distributors and retailers and news outlets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

honestly at this point i would have just taken a tokyo mirage sessions sub, but persona 5 is too big of a game for that. but not too big of a game to finish within a year of the original release date, apparently.

• Locked thread