Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The thing is that a Sombra running around hacking healthpacks is 1/6th of your team focusing on a thing that isn't killing people or capturing objectives. Like yeah, it's useful, but my limited experience thus far has been that spending too much time focusing on healthpacks means it's easy for you to wind up out of position for stuff that's more important. Adjust the duration down and it's gonna be real easy to turn the ability to do so at all into a trap choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Is there an optimal framerate I'm missing or something? I jumped on a winston in a 1v1 and we just sat there eletrocuting each other, despite me dealing an initial 50 he still out-dpsed me.

Thor-Stryker fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 17, 2016

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Thor-Stryker posted:

Is there an optimal framerate I'm missing or something? I jumped on a winston in a 1v1 and we just sat there eletrocuting each other, despite me dealing an initial 50 he still out-dpsed me.

Ditto, but with point blank Mei freezing.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I've been watching a pro tournament off and on today and I'm just gonna throw it out there: sombra's not getting nerfed

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Methinks she needs a bufferino.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

maybe, hard to tell this early on. her gun is a lot worse than the other offense heroes (well genji's is worse technically but he has the dash to combo with it). maybe they could tighten the spread a bit? the way the hack interacts with health packs isn't gonna get nerfed tho

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Cool there is a bug on PS4 where you can't hear Junkrat's ult callout.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Jeza posted:

So does it taste like chocolate or what? Quit holding out on us.

Like a fine Swiss chocolate! Bit messy though.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
getting the sombra hack potg is the best thing ever

not much else to say about the hero, she's okay. could maybe use a very small damage buff... maybe something like firing speed on gun ramping up

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I feel Sombra is similar to TF2's spy in that you don't always need one. She can go debuff a problem enemy then go back to whatever character is appropriate after.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
She's also reliant on her team engaging the enemy. She won't be able to do anything if you have Hanjo/Widow/Mei/Zen all sitting in the back trying to take potshots. And 90% of qp will generally see your team doing this.

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

Manatee Cannon posted:

I've been watching a pro tournament off and on today and I'm just gonna throw it out there: sombra's not getting nerfed

Yeah, even if they buffed her she's never going to have the pick power of a McCree or Reaper. I could see her taking a support slot (or tank? idk) in a highly offensive/flanking comp, but that's for the pros to scrim out.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Going against 3-4 Sombras in Arcade makes her feel OP (conversely 5-6 makes her feel like D.Va's Lunch) but like a less annoying Tracer in QP.

Rick fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Nov 17, 2016

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

So Heroes of the Storm sure is a thing. I mean, I think I like it more than LOL or whatever, but I never really did like MOBAs all that much to begin with.

Didn't take very long to grind through 15 games though since practically everyone on right now is doing the same thing.

I think they might have sold me on it though since after you finish the goal you unlock Zarya and I mostly used Tracer to get the Oni skin and she ended up being pretty fun.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea hots was alright. I ground out my 15 in beginner ai matches tho, hell if I'm gonna go against actual people in that game

Rick posted:

Going against 3-4 Sombras in Arcade makes her feel OP (conversely 5-6 makes her feel like D.Va's Lunch) but like a less annoying Tracer in QP.

a bunch of them at once is dumb because they can lock down every health pack as soon as the round starts. putting an end to that in qp was a smart move on blizzard's part, even if people have been dumb and leave when they can't play her

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

yea hots was alright. I ground out my 15 in beginner ai matches tho, hell if I'm gonna go against actual people in that game

Same. I did consider jumping into a quickplay match but then I might actually drag a team down and I do that enough in Overwatch.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Can you solo the 15 matches or do you need a friend?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Do arcade play of the games not save like regular play of the games :saddowns: I had such a good killing blow on another genji in the 1v1 mystery duel

Which, by the way, is the most ridiculous fun game mode. There was plenty of chit-chatting with the other person too :)

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
HOTS is fun and has a depressingly small community, please play HOTS if you enjoyed it.

I can count on two hands the amount of times I've been yelled at in nearly a 1000+ matches and I am an overly sensitive bad, so please keep that in mind if that's putting you off.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Agoat posted:

Can you solo the 15 matches or do you need a friend?

You'll need a friend. If you don't have one, no prob, there's also about 20 other players at any given time at the moment spamming the all chat for a group up and friend invite before they grind out their 15 games.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Agoat posted:

I feel Sombra is similar to TF2's spy in that you don't always need one. She can go debuff a problem enemy then go back to whatever character is appropriate after.
the debuff lasts 6 seconds though and is really situational, she's usually better off hacking healthpacks.

like she's not really a hero for getting sick picks then swapping, the best part of her kit is her ult, so you want to at least wait to build that. and even that isn't amazing since it doesn't cancel most ults, and when you just prevent a team from ulting and wipe them that means they'll still have all their ults going into the next teamfight which is not really the ideal result of a fight going well

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Okay after going 3 games where I was 0 and 5 I'm not as enamored by this gamemode anymore

edit: complaining about losing in SA threads literally works, it's magic. Just went 5 and 0 on this one poor guy

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Nov 17, 2016

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I played a couple of 1v1 rounds and just got ripped apart by 3500 players. It was a loving nightmare

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Schneider Inside Her posted:

I played a couple of 1v1 rounds and just got ripped apart by 3500 players. It was a loving nightmare

Sounds amazing

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

I'm the king of getting to 4 then throwing the rest. I just want my drat box

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I would say keep at it and you'll bump into someone worse than you eventually but why would you want to when you can just play another mode you actually enjoy and do better at? Unless you're going for that sweet loot box action.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Nov 17, 2016

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
is 1v1 and 3v3 the only ones that give a chest for the first win? does that reset?

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Snazzy Frocks posted:

is 1v1 and 3v3 the only ones that give a chest for the first win? does that reset?

9 wins anywhere in arcade will net you 3 boxes, I think it resets weekly?

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

Thor-Stryker posted:

Is it possible you had a discord orb on you?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Kai Tave posted:

The thing is that a Sombra running around hacking healthpacks is 1/6th of your team focusing on a thing that isn't killing people or capturing objectives. Like yeah, it's useful, but my limited experience thus far has been that spending too much time focusing on healthpacks means it's easy for you to wind up out of position for stuff that's more important. Adjust the duration down and it's gonna be real easy to turn the ability to do so at all into a trap choice.

On the other hand on Route 66 the payload stopped at a chokepoint early on next to 2 healthpacks and the Sombra making sure those 2 were constantly hacked while actually shooting things really swung the fight.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Right now they're the only two modes within arcade that fork over a loot box on your first win in them and I don't think that resets.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
So the problem with Sombra on offence is that it requires your team to not be full of mouth breathing Neanderthals that will actually attack the enemy rein when you hack him from behind instead of standing there and drooling. Also does it not play a very loud sound when an allied Sombra ults? After about the 10th 6 man ult where my team stands there doing nothing, I've decided that her ult only has value in counter-ulting as using it to initiate would once again rely on your team having something resembling brain function. That being said, on teams where people were paying attention when I spam ult 100% ready while invis in the center of the enemy team, hooo baby, do we roll hard. Her health pack hack charges her ult insanely fast so if your team is making good use of them you pretty much have one for every fight.

I doubt she'll see competitive play since her SMG feels as weak as Widowmakers, and the "taking damage disrupts hack" is absolutely crippling against people who can aim.

EDIT: Her SMG actually IS weaker than Widowmaker's. WTF Blizzfraud.

SweetBro fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Nov 17, 2016

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

SweetBro posted:

EDIT: Her SMG actually IS weaker than Widowmaker's. WTF Blizzfraud.

Uh, no? Widowmaker's assault rifle does 130 DPS, Sombra's gun does 160.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Kai Tave posted:

Uh, no? Widowmaker's assault rifle does 130 DPS, Sombra's gun does 160.

Only if you're getting max damage per bullet. Which you're probably not. Not too mention that spread and falloff is physically painful.

EDIT: Which honestly, even if that wasn't the case 160 damage is pitifully loving low for an offence hero.

SweetBro fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Nov 17, 2016

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Good News:

If you started playing HotS games with friends for the Genji skin on the 15th in the EU - well those games did not count. Quest only showed up today (or yesterday, didn't log in I think) in game. But everyone but me probably knew that...

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Nov 17, 2016

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Semper Fudge posted:

HOTS is fun and has a depressingly small community, please play HOTS if you enjoyed it.

I can count on two hands the amount of times I've been yelled at in nearly a 1000+ matches and I am an overly sensitive bad, so please keep that in mind if that's putting you off.

Counterpoint: don't play games where you need to buy characters with moneys.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you can buy them with ingame currency earned by playing and completing quests fyi

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
^^^Also if you go for 30 games with friends in HotS you get Zarya plus like four other heroes for free, you get a free hero if you click on someone's referral link, and gold seems generous enough at the outset to set you up with enough to buy another couple without spending a cent. I'm not normally a big fan of the "pay to play with more characters" model but Blizzard seems willing enough to give away a fair chunk of heroes for free so okay, whatever.

Really, it's the price of skins that are absurd.

SweetBro posted:

Only if you're getting max damage per bullet. Which you're probably not. Not too mention that spread and falloff is physically painful.

EDIT: Which honestly, even if that wasn't the case 160 damage is pitifully loving low for an offence hero.

Well I mean Sombra's falloff is on par with Soldier's as far as getting max damage goes. Like, her gun may not be super great, but it's objectively better than Widowmaker's autorifle in every respect from DPS to damage over a full mag. You could apply the "only if you're getting max damage" argument to Widow's rifle too, it's not like that doesn't have spread and falloff of its own.

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Nov 17, 2016

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I don't ever really envision playing Sombra on purpose but then I thought that about Tracer and Ana and play them all the time now so who knows. Although last me was right about never playing McCree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Kai Tave posted:

^^^Also if you go for 30 games with friends in HotS you get Zarya plus like four other heroes for free, you get a free hero if you click on someone's referral link, and gold seems generous enough at the outset to set you up with enough to buy another couple without spending a cent. I'm not normally a big fan of the "pay to play with more characters" model but Blizzard seems willing enough to give away a fair chunk of heroes for free so okay, whatever.

Really, it's the price of skins that are absurd.

Well I mean Sombra's falloff is on par with Soldier's as far as getting max damage goes. Like, her gun may not be super great, but it's objectively better than Widowmaker's autorifle in every respect from DPS to damage over a full mag. You could apply the "only if you're getting max damage" argument to Widow's rifle too, it's not like that doesn't have spread and falloff of its own.

According to the wiki, Widow has no fall-off range. Soldier's fall-off range is over double Sombra's. Also while I don't have empirical proof, it feels like Sombra's bloom is way worse than Widow's.