Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

my onkyo sounds fine to me and seemed okay until it got the hdmi death. thankfully they repaired it for free including shipping both ways (and even sent me a box to ship it in), so i can't complain too much. when it comes time to replace it i won't get another, though.

care to elaborate? One of my HDMI ports gets glitchy but I haven't tried a different cable to see if that's the issue yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The Management posted:

there is still a big difference between receivers. software on all receivers is universally garbage, so you want one that is as dumb as possible. but receivers from marantz and Harman are still going to sound a lot better than ones from onkyo or sony, even the cheap ones.

why the heck would you lump onkyo in with sony

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
we interrupt this stereo broadcast to bring you more tangentially related laffs.

most packages for linux distros tend to take a while from "vendor squeezes out update into toilet" and "distro flushes toilet down to the sewers of package management". such is the case with chromium.

except chromium (and chrome in general) have a built-in time bomb where it will stop trusting certain certificates after 10 weeks from the date it was built on. oops.

"i can't access any of my banking and a bunch of cdns don't work and "maybe we shouldnt do this in the future".

quote:

A timebomb existed that if the set of known CT logs goes stale,
no certificate can comply with the Certificate Transparency
policy, beause the logs may be out of date and not trustworthy. The
set of known logs goes stale 10 weeks after the build date.

While this was acceptable to cause EV certificates to downgrade to
DV certificates, this also means that certificates issued by CAs
that MUST be CT compliant also fail to work - they fail closed,
rather than fail open. In particular, certificates issued by
Symantec fail to work if it's more than 10 weeks after the build
date - in effect, the default behaviour is to distrust Symantec.

scroogled again

e: ubuntu has a "fix committed" according to the issue tracker. the fix is to just re-build the same old version to reset the time bomb. :downs:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
someone using a development version of chome on a linux probably doesn't have a bank account

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

care to elaborate? One of my HDMI ports gets glitchy but I haven't tried a different cable to see if that's the issue yet.

there's a few years of onkyo receivers with bad hdmi boards. i don't know the specific model ranges, but i think it's mostly like 2010-2013? it might only be the network-connected ones. anyway, supposedly it's due to a run of bad chips from TI that eventually fail, slowly making hdmi ports die. i went away for a few days, and came back, and it wouldn't send any video to my tv, but sound would work. they have a form on their website where you input the model number and serial and they'll tell if yours is an affected model and then send you a box to ship it to them. turnaround was a bit over a week.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

shipping a 20 pound toaster-oven sized box with all of the weight concentrated in one corner sounds like a lot of fun

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

that was the same thing that happened to my onkyo and my parents onkyo plus they sounded like poo poo and it always ran hot which is what im sure killed the thing esp in my parents case

i replaced them with this line from marantz. audessey for setup and a shitload of hdmi ports an amp and thats it. no sound fields just 2ch stereo full surround or dolby/dts decoding. dead simple and works great

cant speak to the remote b/c ive used a harmony forever but its the only receiver ive ever had that sounded great after initial setup and just does its job with no fuss whatsoever

the nr14xx line didnt have the internet bullshit you arent going to use but they discontinued that line honestly id be okay with it if it including google casting but it doesnt so welp

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shaggar posted:

someone using a development version of chome on a linux probably doesn't have a bank account

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

flakeloaf posted:

shipping a 20 pound toaster-oven sized box with all of the weight concentrated in one corner sounds like a lot of fun

like i said, they shipped me the box and packing material, so :shrug:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

there's a few years of onkyo receivers with bad hdmi boards. i don't know the specific model ranges, but i think it's mostly like 2010-2013? it might only be the network-connected ones. anyway, supposedly it's due to a run of bad chips from TI that eventually fail, slowly making hdmi ports die. i went away for a few days, and came back, and it wouldn't send any video to my tv, but sound would work. they have a form on their website where you input the model number and serial and they'll tell if yours is an affected model and then send you a box to ship it to them. turnaround was a bit over a week.

ah cool, I'll check that out

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

like i said, they shipped me the box and packing material, so :shrug:

ah i missed the part about the packing material and just pictured you getting a giant empty receiver coffin in the mail, maybe with a plastic bag to hold all the parts that'll be knocked loose when ups throws it sidearm into the truck

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

LastInLine posted:

rip my 1996 sony es receiver with the egg remote weighed a ton and sounded great

i have a ga8es that i cant use at the moment but im not getting rid of it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

graph posted:

i have a ga8es that i cant use at the moment but im not getting rid of it

same with my db940

I'm going to need a new receiver once I get a 4k tv and every decent receiver I see is like 2 grand plus

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

qirex posted:

same with my db940

I'm going to need a new receiver once I get a 4k tv and every decent receiver I see is like 2 grand plus

denons are good, my 910 is solid as hell but the x#### series has the better calibration software (which works really well)

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Zamujasa posted:

we interrupt this stereo broadcast to bring you more tangentially related laffs.

most packages for linux distros tend to take a while from "vendor squeezes out update into toilet" and "distro flushes toilet down to the sewers of package management". such is the case with chromium.

except chromium (and chrome in general) have a built-in time bomb where it will stop trusting certain certificates after 10 weeks from the date it was built on. oops.

"i can't access any of my banking and a bunch of cdns don't work and "maybe we shouldnt do this in the future".

scroogled again

e: ubuntu has a "fix committed" according to the issue tracker. the fix is to just re-build the same old version to reset the time bomb. :downs:
symantec also has a resolution and it's "upgrade to chrome 54"

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
A friend is currently trying to draw as dick-like drawings as possible that quick draw still recognizes as the thing

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
any stereo equipment with video support or more than two speakers is bad with very few exceptions

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
hey, it just so happens that i have an audio-related question and you guys are talking about stereo stuff!

my pc speakers are doing a lot of that sixty-cycle hum when i turn them on. these are pretty old speakers, so i could be talked into buying newer, better ones. but is there a nice, straightforward way to make it cut it out with the humming?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

prefect posted:

hey, it just so happens that i have an audio-related question and you guys are talking about stereo stuff!

my pc speakers are doing a lot of that sixty-cycle hum when i turn them on. these are pretty old speakers, so i could be talked into buying newer, better ones. but is there a nice, straightforward way to make it cut it out with the humming?

ground loop isolator

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

qirex posted:

ground loop isolator

this isn't one of those monster cable magically-fix-the-problem-with-pure-oxygen things, is it? remember that you're talking to a dummy here :)

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

Shaggar posted:

also,

Zamujasa posted:

quote:

in effect, the default behaviour is to distrust Symantec.

sounds like a good feature to me

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

prefect posted:

this isn't one of those monster cable magically-fix-the-problem-with-pure-oxygen things, is it? remember that you're talking to a dummy here :)

nah they're definitely a real thing but they may eat into your "newer but marginally less crappy speaker" budget

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

flakeloaf posted:

nah they're definitely a real thing but they may eat into your "newer but marginally less crappy speaker" budget

the first one i found on amazon was like ten bucks. i think i can swing it :D

thanks for the help, knowledgeable ones :tipshat:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

burning swine
May 26, 2004

ground loop isolators are a godsend

last time I had this problem it was with 2 computers fed through a mixer into a receiver, buzzed like hell. I "fixed" it by grounding both computers together with jumper cables to the case

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Wheany posted:

A friend is currently trying to draw as dick-like drawings as possible that quick draw still recognizes as the thing

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
It's 2016 and I just had to put my phone in the fridge to pull it out of a reboot loop.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

It's 2016 and I just had to put my phone in the fridge to pull it out of a reboot loop.

tell me, what is the model of this quality product?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

lmao

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

quote:

The experimental user interface toolkit being built at golang.org/x/exp/shiny includes several text elements, but there is a problem with testing them: What font should be used? Answering this question led us to today's announcement, the release of a family of high-quality WGL4 TrueType fonts, created by the Bigelow & Holmes type foundry specifically for the Go project.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I use my bang and Olufsen beomaster 4500 (with twin Redline speakers) as TV speakers.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

alright i guess that's game over

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
Harman announced the jbl cp100 android auto carplay receiver in January and it's still vaporware

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
a crab according to everyone on quickdraw: a horizontal oval with two letters Y sticking out on top of it

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

that's quite an impressive collision of yak shaving and bike shedding.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Wheany posted:

a crab according to everyone on quickdraw: a horizontal oval with two letters Y sticking out on top of it

only Maryland babies will get this

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

prefect posted:

make sure your speakers are plugged into the same power source as your input.

I just bought a Polk audio sub to go with my existing 3.0 setup. it's nice and good I guess. idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Okay?

• Locked thread