Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Darth Walrus posted:

- because this episode made it clear that they've been together for a while, and Viktor just took it a lot more public than it already was.[/spoiler]

Have they? It seems to me that this was a new thing, based on how Victor says 'I had to find a way to surprise you more than you just surprised me.'

quote:

Poor Georgi. But yay for Georgi's ex and her happiness!

Yeah, Georgi isn't an unsympathetic character, but I have to agree that his ex-girlfriend is probably better off leaving that drama train behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

a cartoon duck posted:

If I believe strongly enough that they will kiss then they absolutely will.

See, it worked.

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

a cartoon duck posted:

See, it worked.

Thank you for your hard work.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

Have they? It seems to me that this was a new thing, based on how Victor says 'I had to find a way to surprise you more than you just surprised me.'

Yeah, Georgi isn't an unsympathetic character, but I have to agree that his ex-girlfriend is probably better off leaving that drama train behind.

They have been really comfortable and touchy-freely with each other for quite a while now, and that conversation in the carpark very much felt like Viktor was quietly freaking out about how their physical intimacy hadn't helped with their emotional intimacy enough for him to know how to make his boyfriend feel better. As in, 'I know you like kisses, will that help here? Because I am seriously out of my depth in all this'. The other skaters also seem to be responding to them very much like they know they're already a couple. There was also how little follow-through there was after the initial shock - it felt less like 'holy poo poo Yuuri Katsuki and Viktor Nikiforov are an item' and more like 'holy poo poo he finished that incredible performance off with a smooch from his boyfriend'. Basically, there's just this general aura of comfort and familiarity to all of this that makes it feel like this is not where these two became a couple.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's hosed up that i'm too cynical to think they actually kissed. really liked the dynamic this episode, where yuri shifted into having the upper hand hard. it's nice to see viktor feel off his game for a little bit and makes him way more relatable/likable.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

Yeah, Georgi isn't an unsympathetic character

There's nothing sympathetic about some dumbass het thinking he owns a woman

a cartoon duck posted:

See, it worked.

Years down the line this moment will go a long way towards your recognition as a saint.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Adelheid posted:

There's nothing sympathetic about some dumbass het thinking he owns a woman

He's being weird about it but ultimately all he's doing is a really complicated interpretive dance where he begs her (internally) to come back to him. Working out your complexes via art is honestly pretty healthy if it means he doesn't feel the need to actually try and get her to come back to him.

EDIT: I guess it could be kind of weird for her to show up and have him do a dance that she recognizes as being about his feelings about their breakup? I'm not sure about the ethics there.

Rand Brittain fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 17, 2016

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

gone, but not forgotten

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

dogsicle posted:

it's hosed up that i'm too cynical to think they actually kissed. really liked the dynamic this episode, where yuri shifted into having the upper hand hard. it's nice to see viktor feel off his game for a little bit and makes him way more relatable/likable.

:same: Also more Viktor scenes where he realized he messed up and apologized to Yuri. As much as I like Viktor being perfect at everything it gets a bit tiring and unrelatable.

Finally I can see my favorite ice skater back next episode. I'm hyped to see how much Yurio has grown since his Japan trip.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Georgi is more pathetic than sympathetic. I wonder how he managed to convince his ex to come see his performance.

k4kk01
May 6, 2013

Fangz posted:

Georgi is more pathetic than sympathetic. I wonder how he managed to convince his ex to come see his performance.

Isn't she also competing, just in the women's version of the competition? I thought that was the justification given last episode.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Don't want to quote a giant spoiler block but while I plausibly see it both ways (and both are equally good) what darth walrus said is pretty close to what I took away from today

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

This fandom is bizarre. Apparently I'm "projecting" by suggesting that Yuri wasn't aware of his own sexuality at the beginning of the show. Did everyone else forget that he said that he hadn't ever experienced passionate love before?

Have a costume reference.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Parts of the fandom still insist that yuuri/victor isn't really happening/ going to happen and I wonder if they just want something to kvetch about for the next few years because everyone loving loves something as ridiculous as a ship war

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Parts of the fandom still insist that yuuri/victor isn't really happening/ going to happen and I wonder if they just want something to kvetch about for the next few years because everyone loving loves something as ridiculous as a ship war

Really? Her's a post that goes into great detail as to how the scene was set up and clearly written as a kiss, despite the lack of an onscreen lip-lock.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

between that and Victor being abusive i think these people are just idiots tbh

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

On the internet, about anime? No....

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Maera Sior posted:

Really? Her's a post that goes into great detail as to how the scene was set up and clearly written as a kiss, despite the lack of an onscreen lip-lock.

this person does cool posts but god drat is their theme hosed up/unreadable on a desktop

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

There was a time when I doubted that this show would pull the trigger. I have never been more pleased to be wrong.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

...Has there been a guy/guy kiss in an anime this popular before? I can think of a number of reasonably popular shows with open lesbians in them, but not gay men. Granted, that's partly selection bias on my part...

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

...Has there been a guy/guy kiss in an anime this popular before? I can think of a number of reasonably popular shows with open lesbians in them, but not gay men. Granted, that's partly selection bias on my part...

No 6 and Shinsekai Yori both had gay kisses.

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

I don't remember either of those being popular.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Yeah, but is YOI popular? I have no idea how to judge these things.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

WE WERE
BORN TO MAKE HISTORY

Oh my god I am so happy. They loving did it. They actually did it. It wasn't baiting. It was real. Everything was set up so well, too, and they didn't let me down.

What a great loving episode. The music was top notch and fleshing out the skaters and their motivations was fantastic. Really happy for Phichit, too.

Honestly, Georgi is hilarious because to quote someone earlier in this thread, "Are the straights okay".

gently caress. I'm buzzing. What an episode. It did so much right I can't even express it coherently right now.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Maera Sior posted:

Yeah, but is YOI popular? I have no idea how to judge these things.

It's Crunchyroll's most watched anime in a bunch of US states, canadian provinces, and european countries, apparently, so somebody's watching it - I don't know if it's popular in the absolute sense, but enough people are talking about it that I would be surprised to discover it's this obscure niche thing.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

It's Crunchyroll's most watched anime in a bunch of US states, canadian provinces, and european countries, apparently, so somebody's watching it - I don't know if it's popular in the absolute sense, but enough people are talking about it that I would be surprised to discover it's this obscure niche thing.

I know that some series are more popular overseas than they are in Japan. I'm curious to know how many people are staying up to watch it/recording it in Japan since it does start so late, whereas it's pretty easily accessible in the rest of the world. We'll know for sure when the sales figures come out in a few months.
I'm sure I'll be preordering it like everyone else. Anyone know how long it usually takes for a show to come out in R1?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Maera Sior posted:

I know that some series are more popular overseas than they are in Japan. I'm curious to know how many people are staying up to watch it/recording it in Japan since it does start so late, whereas it's pretty easily accessible in the rest of the world. We'll know for sure when the sales figures come out in a few months.
I'm sure I'll be preordering it like everyone else. Anyone know how long it usually takes for a show to come out in R1?

well it'll depend on a bunch of factors but funimation seems to get shows out in around a year, since a lot of their recent releases are mid-2015 shows.

Mazreal
Oct 5, 2002

adjusts monocle
It sucks we don't actually see their lips touching. I'm not a dummy saying they didn't kiss cause that's clearly what happened and even if we don't see it exactly, the intent is clear and it's great and I cried a little bit. It's still pretty lame they felt the need to hide the moment from the viewers.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Hocus Pocus posted:

There was a time when I doubted that this show would pull the trigger. I have never been more pleased to be wrong.

same, I'm surprised and happy that I was wrong at the same time.

I'm also not sure how popular it is in Japan proper thanks to its weird time, but I hope it is at least decently doing well. It's a good rear end anime even without the 'politics' and all of representation and deserves to get tons of praise both for finally moving beyond queerbaiting and for just being a genuinely good rear end fuckin show.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Allarion posted:

It's time to make history!

http://cytu.be/r/sugita

Join us if you haven't seen the episode, or wanna rewatch it!

americong
May 29, 2013

I like georgi as a character because he's pretty transparently comic relief and relatively complex/enjoyable comic relief at that

he should spend some time in the e/n breakup thread though

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Mazreal posted:

It sucks we don't actually see their lips touching. I'm not a dummy saying they didn't kiss cause that's clearly what happened and even if we don't see it exactly, the intent is clear and it's great and I cried a little bit. It's still pretty lame they felt the need to hide the moment from the viewers.

It was probably less that they "felt the need" and more that they actually literally needed to.

I remember reading somewhere that the show barely passed Japanese censorship laws. (This is also my guess as to why it airs in the early morning in Japan despite not being that risque.)

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
Georgi is a sack of poo poo tbh, he's basically passive-aggressively harassing his ex via his skating routine. There's nothing really sympathetic about his arc. From his previous routine to today's routine, it felt like "I am an evil witch who curses you!!" --> "Oh no, I'm so sorry for cursing you! Please pity me and love me and I'll lift the curse", which is like... emotional manipulation 101. Of course, she's having none of it and walked out (YEAAAAH that was also a lowkey satisfying moment in the episode).

Also, I'm please as punch someone remembered my "are the straights okay" quip.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

hopeandjoy posted:

It was probably less that they "felt the need" and more that they actually literally needed to.

I remember reading somewhere that the show barely passed Japanese censorship laws. (This is also my guess as to why it airs in the early morning in Japan despite not being that risque.)

Most anime aside from children's stuff airs at odd hours, and censorship laws have only resulted in placing shadows over violence and cigs.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

hopeandjoy posted:

that strikes me as a load of crock tbh

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

hopeandjoy posted:

That sounds like hogwash. I bet it's more that they wanted to tease the poo poo out of us. "Tune in next week and maybe we'll let you see them lock lips without something blocking the view!"

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I'll take you all's word for it then. I'm not too familiar with watching anime outside of legal streaming and DVDs.

At the very least, there seems to be a decent amount of fan artists making art. But it does feel a little less all over the place than Free did when it was airing. That might because Free had a bigger marketing push behind it though.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
"episode 7" was trending in Japan on twitter today, so I'm pretty sure the show is doing well.

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
Oh, so i just noticed that the credits sequence is social media posts and they have comments by some of the characters. Neato!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

• Locked thread